facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old October 10, 2017, 12:15 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Soumo,Shak,Fiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
As for Riyad and Imrul, I understand the frustration with them. But they are still somewhat better stop gap options for our Test team, especially at home, giving guys like Shanto and Mosaddek little bit more time to mature.
But they are not stop gap, we are past that point now. If anything, they are the ones preventing us from playing guys like Shanto and Moss (although Moss is injured). Their avg. is marginally better than Soumy/Sabbir and they have had a decade longer to get acclimated.

Every selection always comes down to "it's an important tour, we need experienced seniors like Imrul and Mullah". Well our senior players are sh*t. Imrul and Mullah are sh*t. Experience means very little when that experience consists of edging your way through your entire career.

I hate the fact that Imrul got that century against Pak. I hate the fact that Mullah got those two centuries in WC. Because those rare events are bookended by complete sh*t pathetic performances.

Old October 10, 2017, 12:31 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees
But they are not stop gap, we are past that point now. If anything, they are the ones preventing us from playing guys like Shanto and Moss (although Moss is injured). Their avg. is marginally better than Soumy/Sabbir and they have had a decade longer to get acclimated.

Every selection always comes down to "it's an important tour, we need experienced seniors like Imrul and Mullah". Well our senior players are sh*t. Imrul and Mullah are sh*t. Experience means very little when that experience consists of edging your way through your entire career.

I hate the fact that Imrul got that century against Pak. I hate the fact that Mullah got those two centuries in WC. Because those rare events are bookended by complete sh*t pathetic performances.
This is where things are still a little bit like the ashraful days. Just because they've scored a couple of centuries here or there doesn't make their experience valuable when it's happened over the course of a decade.

I reckon the likes of shanto and liton have more FC centuries to their names in less matches than guys like imrul and riyad had when they came into the national team and debuted. So these youngsters are already a cut above in that regard.

Talent, technique, temperament and consistency. Those traits are the key for batsmen or for bowlers.

I said it many times in the ashraful days what is the use of selecting due to experience if that experience is averaging 25 as a batsman. If your aim is for batsmen to average 40+, and it should be, then at the very least your senior batsmen need to have kept a 40 average consistently at test level over the course of 3+ years otherwise I don't think they can really offer too much to youngsters.

Guys like shanto and liton who are playing big innings consistently in domestic competitions already know how to produce a big innings better and more often than imrul and riyad do. Tamim, mushy and shakib might be able to help them but that's about all.
Old October 10, 2017, 12:44 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Soumo,Shak,Fiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
This is where things are still a little bit like the ashraful days. Just because they've scored a couple of centuries here or there doesn't make their experience valuable when it's happened over the course of a decade.

I reckon the likes of shanto and liton have more FC centuries to their names in less matches than guys like imrul and riyad had when they came into the national team and debuted. So these youngsters are already a cut above in that regard.

Talent, technique, temperament and consistency. Those traits are the key for batsmen or for bowlers.

I said it many times in the ashraful days what is the use of selecting due to experience if that experience is averaging 25 as a batsman. If your aim is for batsmen to average 40+, and it should be, then at the very least your senior batsmen need to have kept a 40 average consistently at test level over the course of 3+ years otherwise I don't think they can really offer too much to youngsters.

Guys like shanto and liton who are playing big innings consistently in domestic competitions already know how to produce a big innings better and more often than imrul and riyad do. Tamim, mushy and shakib might be able to help them but that's about all.
It is exactly like Ashraful days. This is what happens when you don't look at stats, and only rely on that 1 or 2 fond memories of a player. It clouds your judgment.
Old October 10, 2017, 12:58 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Riyad isn't as bad as imrul, riyad at least has passed 50 a fair few times, his issue is going onto 3 digits.

Imrul on the other hand, in tests in 62 innings he's passed 50 only 7 times. Now what I won't deny is that he can get the team off to a reasonable start, look at his scores from the recent series, he often gets starts, he just doesn't go on with it. What's familiar about this? A youngster like Sabbir gets starts but doesn't go on with it but he's under the pump more that a seasoned veteran like imrul, it should be the other way around.

Think about this, in 20 innings sabbir has 4 50+ scores, imrul has 7 in 62.

Riyad in 66 innings has 15 50+ scores.