facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 30, 2005, 01:21 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer
Default The first Bangladeshi Test cricketer

The first Bangladeshi Test cricketer
Mustafizur Rahman Khan

Sometime during the late 1980s, while I was still at school, I read a feature in a Bangla newsmagazine about a cricketer born in Dhaka of English stock who appeared for Australia against England in the very first Test match that ever took place. Though I had forgotten the cricketer's name, I did recollect that the article mentioned that his father was a teacher at Dhaka College. The memory of that article laid buried deep in the recesses of my mind until the Tigers finally roared in Cardiff and beat the Aussies, which prompted me to surf the net to verify the facts for myself. After a brief search, I discovered that the 22 players who took the field in the inaugural Test match at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) between March 15 and 19, 1877, included one Barnsby Beauchamp Cooper, who was born in "Dacca, India" on, curiously enough, March 15, 1844.

BB Cooper "was a public-school educated product of the English establishment who played for Kent and Middlesex as a hard-hitting right-hand bat, and late in 1869 moved to Australia (with a short stay in the USA) and represented Australia in the first Test in 1876-77" (source: Cricinfo). For the record, he scored 15 and 3 in his two innings and took two catches in the match, which was won by Australia by 45 runs. BB Cooper, who appeared for the Australian state side of Victoria, played in only that one Test Match. He died in Geelong, Victoria on August 7, 1914.

The is nothing on record to show that BB Cooper ever played cricket in Dhaka or indeed how long he lived in Dhaka before he was shipped off to public school in Rugby. But it does not take much to imagine a young English lad playing cricket, perhaps with his native chumps, in the dusty lawns of his fathers, bungalow in pre-mutiny Dhaka. While Bangladesh's Test status has been the subject of much sarcasm, BB Cooper's story shows that the link between Test match cricket and Bangladesh is about as ancient as it can get.

One of the things that I love about cricket is its unique sense of tradition, history and nostalgia. It is a sense which I find sadly lacking in Bangladesh though, as epitomised by the surrender to football of the Bangabandhu National Stadium, scene of not only our first Test match but also of seven Test matches during the Pakistan era. If we are to become the best in the game, not only must we perform on the field, but we must also continue in the best traditions of the game.

With this thought in mind, I would like to propose that the trophy for the rubber in Test match cricket between Australia and Bangladesh should be named after BB Cooper. And while such a proposal is considered by the powers that may be, I shall dream of the day when the Bangladesh cricket captain holds aloft the BB Cooper Trophy after securing the series rubber against Australia at the MCG! Who knows, with the likes of Mohammad Ashraful, Aftab Ahmed, Mashrafee-bin-Mortuza and the ones to follow, that day may be sooner than one thinks!!

-- The author is a Barrister

Source: Daily Star

Old June 30, 2005, 01:27 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC Design Team

Favorite Player: Shahriar Biddyut

interesting bits of information revealed. I surely would like to verify this by Steven Lynch of cricinfo!!!
Old June 30, 2005, 01:34 AM
First BC Member

Default BB Cooper

Bransby Cooper

Australia

Player profile

Full name Bransby Beauchamp Cooper
Born March 15, 1844, Dacca, India
Died August 7, 1914, Geelong, Victoria (aged 70 years 145 days)
Major teams Australia, Kent, Middlesex, Victoria
Batting style Right-hand bat
Fielding position Wicketkeeper

Full profile at Crcinfo
Old June 30, 2005, 01:40 AM
Test Cricketer

The author is also my kid brother.
Old June 30, 2005, 01:42 AM
Test Cricketer

wow fwullah, thats a great discovery. i did check his profile in cricinfo and he really was born in dhaka and did play in the first ever test match. WOW!
Old June 30, 2005, 01:43 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC Design Team

Favorite Player: Shahriar Biddyut

i actually meant that if Steven Lynch would mention this man's name if one asked him "who's the first Test cricketer to be born in what is now Bangladesh ?"
Old June 30, 2005, 02:18 AM
Cricket Legend

Interesting
Old June 30, 2005, 02:47 AM
Test Cricketer

He was born in Dacca but the country was India not Bangladesh then . So , he wasn't the first test player from Bangladesh to play the cricket . The players played against India in our inaugural test those players were the first to play the test cricket from Bangladesh .
Old June 30, 2005, 03:28 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

BB Cooper Trophy? Interesting...
Old June 30, 2005, 03:38 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by fwullah

The first Bangladeshi Test cricketer
Mustafizur Rahman Khan

One of the things that I love about cricket is its unique sense of tradition, history and nostalgia. It is a sense which I find sadly lacking in Bangladesh though, as epitomised by the surrender to football of the Bangabandhu National Stadium, scene of not only our first Test match but also of seven Test matches during the Pakistan era.

Source: Daily Star
Every time they dig up the cricket pitches in Bangabandhu Stadium and hand it over to a game that BD has no chance of succeeding at in another 500 years, they slide in another sword at the heart of our cricket. Just to add insults to injury the Football Federation now hires spectators to attend matches in order to justify this move. They are also flying in some 3rd grade coaches from Argentina to appease the people of BD. It never seizes to amaze me how much our Sports ministers and Federation officials underestimate the people.
Old June 30, 2005, 12:41 PM
First BC Member

Quote:
He was born in Dacca but the country was India not Bangladesh then . So , he wasn't the first test player from Bangladesh to play the cricket
Dhaka - now the capital city of Bangladesh, formerly known as Dacca, was a part of India back in those times.

Bangladesh, the separate coutnry did not exist at the time. So its the same thing.
Old June 30, 2005, 01:01 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by ReckmyBack
He was born in Dacca but the country was India not Bangladesh then . So , he wasn't the first test player from Bangladesh to play the cricket . The players played against India in our inaugural test those players were the first to play the test cricket from Bangladesh .

Right on..!!!
Old June 30, 2005, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Semantics, guys, semantics.

He was the first Test player born in what is now Bangladesh.

Here's a quiz: (been asked before)

There is one other Test player who was born in what is now Bangladesh but played Tests for another country.
Old June 30, 2005, 02:45 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Zunaid

There is one other Test player who was born in what is now Bangladesh but played Tests for another country.
Probir Kumar Sen
Born in Comilla, Bangladesh (Bengal)
played test for India
Old June 30, 2005, 03:31 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Zunaid

Took the words right out of my mouth.