Pak, World XI to lock horns in Saudi Arabia next month
A series of three one-day matches will be played between a Pakistan eleven and the World eleven in the Saudi Arabian cities of Riyadh and Jeddah on July 15, 21 and 22, former Pakistan captain Rashid Latif announced on Sunday.
Latif told ‘The News’ from London that the original programme of having a series of matches between Pakistan and Indian elevens had been changed because the BCCI had not given permission to the organisers for release of its players.
The organisers, which include a leading Saudi company and local cricket officials, had planned to host three matches in late June with the clearance of the PCB.
Latif said that the organisers had now signed fresh contracts with players to play for the World eleven while the majority of the Pakistan players had also given their consent to play in the three matches in July.
The organisers signed contracts with South African players Mark Boucher, Andre Nel, Lance Klusener, Jacques Rudolph, Neil McKenzie, A B DeVilliers and Herschelle Gibbs; New Zealanders Chris Cairns, Chris Harris, Jacom Oram and Daniel Vettori; former Indian pacer Javagal Srinath and Australian Andy Bichel to play for the World eleven.
Latif said the Pakistan eleven would be picked from amongst Inzamam-ul-Haq, Shahid Afridi, Yousuf Youhana, Younis Khan, Imran Nazir, Abdul Razzaq, Moin Khan, Kamran Akmal, Mohammad Sami, Asim Kamal, Shoaib Malik, Arshad Khan, Salman Butt and Shabbir Ahmed.
"Shoaib Akhtar is also likely to feature in one or two matches depending on his commitments for Worcestershire but he has said he is keen to play in Jeddah," he said.
Latif announced the matches after talking to the PCB Chairman Shaharyar Khan and getting his clearance for the matches.
Latif said it was also true that part of the funds raised from these matches would be used for development purposes at the Rashid Latif Cricket Academy (RLCA) in Karachi which is under construction.