facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

 
 


Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old April 20, 2018, 09:20 AM
iDumb iDumb is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: June 18, 2010
Location: NYC
Favorite Player: Di Caprio
Posts: 6,040

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
thread got derailed pretty fast..

money and income is very relative. there was an article saying 75k/year is the optimal salary. I doubt it but maybe for the author and certain age/demographic that is the number.

at the end of day, money doesn't translate to happiness. but it certainly is important. nowadays experiences makes me happy. going to a new place, trying out new food, making new friends. heck even an important BD win makes me extremely happy. if we had beaten India it would have made me more happy than thousands of dollars.
post of the thread. But money makes a lot of things easier. Once someone can achieve financial independence, he can truly unleash all the life has to offer via experiences.

Salary isn't the key. Financial independence is. To achieve FI requires a lot of luck and hard work if you are not born into or married into money.

btw i don't believe that article for a second.
__________________
Please PM me if you have extra WC19 tickets.
Looking for BD _Aus, BD_WI, .
Reply With Quote

  #102  
Old April 20, 2018, 09:24 AM
iDumb iDumb is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: June 18, 2010
Location: NYC
Favorite Player: Di Caprio
Posts: 6,040

I have always wanted to visit all of 50 states of United states. That kid zuckerberg did it in couple of weeks and I am here crossing 1 state a year. yeah I am gonna get a little happy but i will be dead before i move on to my next bucket list.

that's why financial independence is pillar of a relatively happy life.
__________________
Please PM me if you have extra WC19 tickets.
Looking for BD _Aus, BD_WI, .
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old April 20, 2018, 12:29 PM
mufi_02's Avatar
mufi_02 mufi_02 is offline
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team
 
Join Date: August 2, 2011
Location: NY
Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib
Posts: 7,817

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
post of the thread. But money makes a lot of things easier. Once someone can achieve financial independence, he can truly unleash all the life has to offer via experiences.

Salary isn't the key. Financial independence is. To achieve FI requires a lot of luck and hard work if you are not born into or married into money.

btw i don't believe that article for a second.
here is the article -- http://www.businessinsider.com/nobel...piness-2015-10

correction: from 2015 and not last year

from WSJ --

Quote:
The magic income: $75,000 a year. As people earn more money, their day-to-day happiness rises. Until you hit $75,000. After that, it is just more stuff, with no gain in happiness.

That doesn’t mean wealthy and ultrawealthy are equally happy. More money does boost people’s life assessment, all the way up the income ladder.

People who earned $160,000 a year, for instance, reported more overall satisfaction than people earning $120,000, and so on
so we all have our own "magic number" that depends on many things. An engineer earning $150k in Denver might be happier than a FB engineer earning $240k in San Francisco.

Once you attain financial independence, invest in experiences/relationships.
__________________
Bangladesh
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old April 21, 2018, 03:18 AM
Yankees Yankees is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: February 10, 2017
Location: New York
Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Shakib,Fizz
Posts: 3,175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
I am very happy with where I am in life and I say this based on my evaluation of my financial security, family, marriage, job satisfaction, and social circle. I have had some ups and downs during my life. My father died before my graduation after a very expensive cancer treatment, my sister in law had a brain hemorrhage and almost died. But as a family, we were able to weather the storm and I am extremely thankful to my mom for the strength she showed in adversity.

I hope this is an honest enough answer for you. :-)
Great post, bro. Great mindset.
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old April 21, 2018, 01:28 PM
Shingara's Avatar
Shingara Shingara is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: March 6, 2016
Location: AWACS
Favorite Player: Ziya
Posts: 1,409

I am successful but not happy.
Can you be both at the same time ?
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old April 22, 2018, 11:35 PM
Tausif's Avatar
Tausif Tausif is offline
Champions Trophy 2017 Fantasy winner
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: January 9, 2015
Location: Gotham City
Favorite Player: Fizz
Posts: 3,308

Here’s a cool article regarding median pay at Amazon. Found this quite interesting.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/amazons...ear-1524402003

You can also check how your current paycheck matches up with specific companies and sectors.

https://www.wsj.com/graphics/how-doe...-pay-stack-up/
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old April 23, 2018, 01:05 AM
Yankees Yankees is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: February 10, 2017
Location: New York
Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Shakib,Fizz
Posts: 3,175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tausif
Here’s a cool article regarding median pay at Amazon. Found this quite interesting.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/amazons...ear-1524402003

You can also check how your current paycheck matches up with specific companies and sectors.

https://www.wsj.com/graphics/how-doe...-pay-stack-up/
I'm not sure why WSj thinks this is news. Amazon is first and foremost a retail company that delivers goods. It's common sense that they have lots of warehouses and people to facilitate the logistics.
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old April 23, 2018, 06:01 AM
Tausif's Avatar
Tausif Tausif is offline
Champions Trophy 2017 Fantasy winner
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: January 9, 2015
Location: Gotham City
Favorite Player: Fizz
Posts: 3,308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees
I'm not sure why WSj thinks this is news. Amazon is first and foremost a retail company that delivers goods. It's common sense that they have lots of warehouses and people to facilitate the logistics.
They have a huge cloud business and often get compared to the big technology companies such as Facebook and Google mostly because the stock trades like a tech stock and valued much more than the other giants. In fact, more than half of their operating income comes from AWS. A lot of their revenue is also coming from products such as Echo and Alexa. Their core business is not just retail business anymore and the article is merely on the new median pay data that public companies are releasing recently.
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old April 24, 2018, 02:59 AM
Yankees Yankees is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: February 10, 2017
Location: New York
Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Shakib,Fizz
Posts: 3,175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tausif
They have a huge cloud business and often get compared to the big technology companies such as Facebook and Google mostly because the stock trades like a tech stock and valued much more than the other giants. In fact, more than half of their operating income comes from AWS. A lot of their revenue is also coming from products such as Echo and Alexa. Their core business is not just retail business anymore and the article is merely on the new median pay data that public companies are releasing recently.
I don't deny that. but cloud business is not manual labor intensive. AWS requires a couple of engineers and developers only.

There's a reason Amazon's total workforce is 500k+ and their tech rivals are usually less than 80k (FB is only like 25,000). The difference is that the others don't have fulfillment centers to maintain. Buying WholeFoods only added to that discrepancy.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old April 24, 2018, 08:13 AM
Tausif's Avatar
Tausif Tausif is offline
Champions Trophy 2017 Fantasy winner
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: January 9, 2015
Location: Gotham City
Favorite Player: Fizz
Posts: 3,308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees
I don't deny that. but cloud business is not manual labor intensive. AWS requires a couple of engineers and developers only.

There's a reason Amazon's total workforce is 500k+ and their tech rivals are usually less than 80k (FB is only like 25,000). The difference is that the others don't have fulfillment centers to maintain. Buying WholeFoods only added to that discrepancy.
Actually, AWS has over 25,000 employees and I’m sure it’s more than just a couple of engineers and developers working there. They very aggressively recruit for AWS as its leading the way through cloud business.

Anyway, I wish we could look at the median compensation data for tech people at Amazon. Quite sure it’s nowhere near the figure FB pays as FB is most likely an outlier.
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old April 24, 2018, 03:55 PM
Mridul Mridul is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: September 18, 2003
Location: Brampton, Canada
Posts: 1,269

The day I pray Fajr in the masjid I feel I am successful.
__________________
"It is Allah who takes away the souls at the time of their death, and [the souls] of those that do not die during their sleep. He retains those souls for which He has ordained death, whereas He releases the rest for an appointed term. Verily, in this are signs for a people who think deeply." (39:42)
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old April 27, 2018, 12:18 PM
Tigers_eye's Avatar
Tigers_eye Tigers_eye is offline
Cricket Savant
 
Join Date: June 30, 2005
Location: Little Rock
Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh
Posts: 31,472

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mridul
The day I pray Fajr in the masjid I feel I am successful.
And they say,

"Why are you wasting your time like that? What benefit do you get?"
Why don't you do something fruitful at that time? Make some money or sleep and rest so that you wake up fresh and be inspired to make more money."
"What success you are talking about? Show me the success. You can't."
"Why are you taking this religion so seriously?"
"Enjoy this life. We are enjoying our life and don't have to wake up that early."
"Put some sense in to this. Wake up!!!"
"After all, we are all Muslims too. We don't take it so seriously. You don't have to."

"Who believe in the unseen, establish prayer, and spend out of what We have provided for them"

"And who believe in what has been revealed to you, [O Muhammad], and what was revealed before you, and of the Hereafter they are certain [in faith]."

"Those are upon [right] guidance from their Lord, and it is those who are the successful." (2:3-5)
__________________
The Weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the Strong." - Gandhi.
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old May 2, 2018, 08:37 AM
One World One World is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: May 18, 2005
Location: New England
Favorite Player: Mominul Haque
Posts: 21,211

I understand the enthusiasm regarding religion from some members because of the deep attachment to cultural environment of how they grow up and also personal commitment. But, truly success has nothing to do with religion. Success as mentioned here if I understand correctly is focused on this life on earth, which sounds right now may be not in next 100 years if Elon Musk succeeds(). But, leading religions as we know it mostly base their norm of sacrifice and sufferings with the promise of rewards afterlife. Some can argue about the promises offered in this life through resolving a hardship earned by prayers, but actually resolution of such hardship through prayers does not fall into success. There may be a bunch of others who never had to go through such hardship or even overcome a similar hardship without praying even for a minute. So bringing in a variable such as religion in the equation is useless here.
__________________
元気
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old October 23, 2018, 06:28 PM
iDumb iDumb is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: June 18, 2010
Location: NYC
Favorite Player: Di Caprio
Posts: 6,040

https://medium.com/s/powertrip/i-kno...s-4841bc26d753

and ppl read BLS data LOL.
__________________
Please PM me if you have extra WC19 tickets.
Looking for BD _Aus, BD_WI, .
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old December 22, 2018, 07:40 PM
iDumb iDumb is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: June 18, 2010
Location: NYC
Favorite Player: Di Caprio
Posts: 6,040

REALITY!!

https://www.levels.fyi/2018/

ppl are makking 400K with just 5 year experience. 200K+ is the starting salary. facebook doesn't even make the list. And ppl argue with me on BLS data. Perfect example of lack of working knowledge.
__________________
Please PM me if you have extra WC19 tickets.
Looking for BD _Aus, BD_WI, .
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old December 23, 2018, 05:29 AM
ToBeFair's Avatar
ToBeFair ToBeFair is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: February 8, 2018
Posts: 1,132

This life is nothing but a marshmallow experiment in a greater scale. Either you can eat your marshmallow now, and you get only one, but if you resist, you will get two later.

Except the reality is if you are able to resist now, you will get unlimited later.

Therefore, success is the ability to resist. It is like test match batting. The ball remains hard and induce edges only for a while. Sooner the ball wears out and batting becomes easy.
__________________
Self-respect is the fruit of discipline; the sense of dignity grows with the ability to say no to oneself- AJH| Don’t disrespect your life by living aimlessly – set goals and work hard to attain them.
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old December 23, 2018, 06:01 AM
iDumb iDumb is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: June 18, 2010
Location: NYC
Favorite Player: Di Caprio
Posts: 6,040

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBeFair
This life is nothing but a marshmallow experiment in a greater scale. Either you can eat your marshmallow now, and you get only one, but if you resist, you will get two later.

Except the reality is if you are able to resist now, you will get unlimited later.

Therefore, success is the ability to resist. It is like test match batting. The ball remains hard and induce edges only for a while. Sooner the ball wears out and batting becomes easy.
Hogwash. this is not a religious thread.

it's the opposite i think. success is the ability to get what you want when you want it. If you have to resist u are compromising or accepting the fact u can't have it. Urs is a mental exercise to be content with nothing by replacing want with hope of a unicorn
__________________
Please PM me if you have extra WC19 tickets.
Looking for BD _Aus, BD_WI, .
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old December 23, 2018, 07:40 AM
ToBeFair's Avatar
ToBeFair ToBeFair is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: February 8, 2018
Posts: 1,132

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
Hogwash. this is not a religious thread.

it's the opposite i think. success is the ability to get what you want when you want it. If you have to resist u are compromising or accepting the fact u can't have it. Urs is a mental exercise to be content with nothing by replacing want with hope of a unicorn
The reason your definition is flawed is because it cannot answer what's next. Suppose you get everything you want. Then what? What is next?
__________________
Self-respect is the fruit of discipline; the sense of dignity grows with the ability to say no to oneself- AJH| Don’t disrespect your life by living aimlessly – set goals and work hard to attain them.
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old December 23, 2018, 08:12 AM
iDumb iDumb is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: June 18, 2010
Location: NYC
Favorite Player: Di Caprio
Posts: 6,040

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBeFair
The reason your definition is flawed is because it cannot answer what's next. Suppose you get everything you want. Then what? What is next?
happiness.
__________________
Please PM me if you have extra WC19 tickets.
Looking for BD _Aus, BD_WI, .
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old December 23, 2018, 08:20 AM
ToBeFair's Avatar
ToBeFair ToBeFair is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: February 8, 2018
Posts: 1,132

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
happiness.
That is also temporary. What is next?
__________________
Self-respect is the fruit of discipline; the sense of dignity grows with the ability to say no to oneself- AJH| Don’t disrespect your life by living aimlessly – set goals and work hard to attain them.
Reply With Quote
  #121  
Old December 23, 2018, 08:31 AM
SportingBD's Avatar
SportingBD SportingBD is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: December 20, 2016
Location: London, UK
Favorite Player: Mohammad Ashraful
Posts: 4,797

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBeFair
This life is nothing but a marshmallow experiment in a greater scale. Either you can eat your marshmallow now, and you get only one, but if you resist, you will get two later.

Except the reality is if you are able to resist now, you will get unlimited later.

Therefore, success is the ability to resist. It is like test match batting. The ball remains hard and induce edges only for a while. Sooner the ball wears out and batting becomes easy.
Don’t define life by what you are contained in. You don’t have extensive knowledge of life, you have not gone through what people go through. Your definition of success is programmed by holy books, not logical explanation. What you say has bias from religious text, hence you don’t see the other side. Don’t live life on one side, find out the other and then apply this religious point of views to see if it makes sense. Otherwise you will remain a programmed robot following what the religious book have taught you without exploring those in real life.
__________________
My Twitter: www.twitter.com/Bangla13c
The tongue is like a Lion. If you let it loose, it will wound someone - Imam Ali (R.A)
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old December 23, 2018, 08:34 AM
SportingBD's Avatar
SportingBD SportingBD is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: December 20, 2016
Location: London, UK
Favorite Player: Mohammad Ashraful
Posts: 4,797

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportingBD
Don’t define life by what you are contained in. You don’t have extensive knowledge of life, you have not gone through what people go through. Your definition of success is programmed by holy books, not logical explanation. What you say has bias from religious text, hence you don’t see the other side. Don’t live life on one side, find out the other and then apply this religious point of views to see if it makes sense. Otherwise you will remain a programmed robot following what the religious book have taught you without exploring those in real life.
Here’s an example:
Worshipper 1 prays to God to give good health and long life:

Non-Worshipper: does not ask but still gets.

Worshipper one believes because he prayed for good health and long life, he got it.

Non-Worshipper doesn’t care about it, but still got it.

So you see one lives in illusion that because he prayed he got. That’s his belief, if you show him the other side, he won’t see it, he will stick by his beliefs. Irrespective of others who don’t worship get what he/she asks god for. It’s ingrained in that person to believe like that.
__________________
My Twitter: www.twitter.com/Bangla13c
The tongue is like a Lion. If you let it loose, it will wound someone - Imam Ali (R.A)
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old December 23, 2018, 11:38 PM
Yankees Yankees is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: February 10, 2017
Location: New York
Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Shakib,Fizz
Posts: 3,175

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportingBD
Here’s an example:
Worshipper 1 prays to God to give good health and long life:

Non-Worshipper: does not ask but still gets.

Worshipper one believes because he prayed for good health and long life, he got it.

Non-Worshipper doesn’t care about it, but still got it.

So you see one lives in illusion that because he prayed he got. That’s his belief, if you show him the other side, he won’t see it, he will stick by his beliefs. Irrespective of others who don’t worship get what he/she asks god for. It’s ingrained in that person to believe like that.
good point!
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old December 23, 2018, 11:55 PM
Yankees Yankees is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: February 10, 2017
Location: New York
Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Shakib,Fizz
Posts: 3,175

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
https://medium.com/s/powertrip/i-kno...s-4841bc26d753

and ppl read BLS data LOL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
REALITY!!

https://www.levels.fyi/2018/

ppl are makking 400K with just 5 year experience. 200K+ is the starting salary. facebook doesn't even make the list. And ppl argue with me on BLS data. Perfect example of lack of working knowledge.
i dont know what crawled up this guy's backside, but he needs a colonic badly. Going on and on about list of TOP salaries, all of which are based in san fran... Damn, where do I start with this fathead? Pointing to a list of top salaries is such a dumb argument. Might as well call being an actor lucrative because Tom Cruise has a yacht.

250k in SF IS. A. SH*TTY lifestyle any way you slice it. Period. 400k is decent at best in the most expensive city in the world. You are still going to be surrounded by people making way more, and you will still be budgeting your life like everyone else.

Thats your definition of happiness? Really? No guys, best not to take definitions of happiness from a guy that spends all his time on a forum oversharing his very unhappiness. IF you had a better life idumb, you wouldnt be continuously bringing up an year old thread when the rest of us had moved on. Christ!

If money is your only definition of happiness, become an entrepreneur. 400k in San Francisco is not the answer. Your still a wage slave like the rest. Sure, once in awhile you buy yourself some shiny toys, but still a wage b*tch nonetheless. It will never give you financial independence, definitely not in Cali.

OTOH, the US is full of millionaires, literally millions of millionaires. There are plumbers with plumbing companies in Alabama living the life you want. You will never read about them in forbes, or see them on MSNBC, because their stories aren't sexy. It's just normal, boring, and anyone with the right combo of skillset can do it -- unlike the top engineering salaried positions which often require the right pedigree. Linkedin only hires on campus from a handful of schools. Do you attend those schools? No, then get real.

Once you decide money is not your definition of happiness, and you are indeed destined to become a wage slave, atleast find a job you enjoy. That doesnt mean you live a life of destitution - theres a massive happy, respected medium between poverty and 400k in SF.

If religion brings you happiness, you're in luck because it's free! Accessible to everyone and if it brings you comfort, so be it. Fro the rest, there are other things: love, family, friends, passion. Zeeshan once wrote about Tiger Milon and how following the tigers is his passion and happiness. Give him a job with Google and see how much he likes it.

Irrespective of what you choose, just don't end up a miserable cow like idumb here, lest you become so emasculated that you continue to bring up old threads licking your wounds month after month. One who derails threads so bad that a poost asking how successful are you ends up with him pointing to a list of top salaries as some kind of triumph. Continuously moving the goalpost because he is too much of a fathead to realize his argument rings hollow. Reminds me of that Japanese soldier still fighting it out in the Philippines, too stubborn to surrender when the rest of world had moved on. Damn, where's jadukor to put this old dog to sleep?
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old December 24, 2018, 07:50 AM
iDumb iDumb is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: June 18, 2010
Location: NYC
Favorite Player: Di Caprio
Posts: 6,040

^the low iq guy strikes. Just like all dumb guys - when they realize they are wrong, they come out attacking you personally and then regurgitate everything you have been saying.

there were multiple discussions going on in this thread. Salary of a w2 worker was a different topic than a happiness/successful one. Multiple links were given to point out to ppl who think 300K w2 salary is very rare or BLS data gives u a complete picture of reality. Perfect example of a reactionary post.

Attacking me is not gonna solve your low intelligence. Nor will it expedite your application on handouts.
__________________
Please PM me if you have extra WC19 tickets.
Looking for BD _Aus, BD_WI, .
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:27 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
BanglaCricket.com
 

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Partner Sites | Useful Links | Banners |

© BanglaCricket