facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old July 18, 2005, 10:10 AM
Street Cricketer

Default New Scam in bangladesh BEWARE every one

I don't know whether you heard about this scam before or not but this just happen to our home yesterday. Here how it happens

A smart young girl will show up at your door tell your parents/family that she is a friend of your son/brother from USA/where ever you are, and will start chatting with your family for 30min/1hr and then will either ask to borrow some money and give it as dollar to you or will tell she needs to break some dollars which is in her car. Beware of this and tell every one about this. They listen to all our phone conversation as we use this phone card to call home. When I heard this before I didn't gave a 2nd thought thinking my parents r well aware of this scam and wont be let any one in if they don't know them but what happen is beyond my thinking. They just didnít let her in took her to the inside the house, they told her who is going where, when they r coming back, who's going to stay at home and so on TO A STRANGER as she appeared to be very smart, had a car with her and told every one that she is younger sister of a very good friend of ours from USA and her mom just dropped her and she will be back and she was speaking in ENGLISH all the time.....

And the information they gave her while chatting couldnít get that from anywhere else. And thatís why we are pretty sure that they listen /record all our conversation when we call using the calling cards (these calling cards use PC to connect to the land phone and which becomes very very easy to record all the calls).

One my friendís parent few months back had a similar visitor but her mother could guess something wrong as she told her that my friend send her to get money as she knows there no way that my friend will ask money from herÖ.

Please donít take it other wise and tell you family back home to be careful about the scam and talk with you before handing over any money to anyoneÖ
Old July 18, 2005, 10:12 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

I heard about it 2...
Old July 18, 2005, 02:38 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

thanks for the info.....interesting!
Old July 20, 2005, 06:01 AM
Cricket Legend

happened to us too, back in 1999. it was a guy who claimed to be my brother's friend in college. since im really tight with my brother, i knew all his friends. so when this guy showed up, i was like, whoa he's shady!

Mom was trying to call my brother while Dad was talking to the guy, but she couldnt get through to him. the guy was all like, "he gave some stuff with me, since he knew i was coming home." we were all really surprised, since that's not really how our family is. we dont lug five HUGE suitcases of useless junk on our way home from abroad. he said my brother gave him a telephone and what not, and we were like, "why would he give you stuff that we don't need?"

Dad was really suspicious of this guy. anyways, we did treat him well. he kept pushing us to go get the stuff from his place. i was really young at the time, and my dad almost let me take the car with me and go with this guy. thank G-d i didnt. Dad decided to go with him. the guy kept saying "na uncle, apni buro manush, koshto kore keno jaben." when Dad kept insisting he'd go, the guy said he needed to stop by at sheraton for some reason or the other, and Dad knew right there and then that's where the guy was gonna slip out.

so anyways, this ****'s been going on for ages. watch out about what you say. the guy was a total BSer. he caught on to things because my parents kept giving away all this information. for instance, I doubt he knew what college my brother went to. he just knew my brother goes to college in the US. it was my parents who asked him if he studied at so and so college with my brother, and he goes YEAHH! so watch out for people like him. don't volunteer too much information about yourself or your family to someone who seems shady.
Old July 20, 2005, 07:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

We had something like this when I was 9. This guy came up claiming to know my dad (who was in Canada at the time) and asked my aunt to bring my mom over so that they could go to this place. My aunt got really scared cause nobody including my mom knew about this person. Once he even asked my aunt to wear a burka and come as my mom. Luckly she refused and that guy left.

During all this... I was in a closet hiding in a game of hide and seek.

Edited on, July 20, 2005, 12:29 PM GMT, by Akib.
Old July 20, 2005, 09:27 AM
Cricket Guru

well looks like they have ched the game from guy to girls... And also one my friend had a simillar insidents and the girl had bunch packets with her saying that my frinds gave those with her for his family but later when his mom got suspicus she left with all the packets....

One thing these girls r very samrt looking and can speak fluent english....
Old July 25, 2005, 12:15 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Saeed Anwar

Funny stories from Bangladesh......
Old July 25, 2005, 12:48 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by dawah.tabligh
Funny stories from Bangladesh......
How is it funny can u explain?
Old July 25, 2005, 03:53 PM
ODI Cricketer

It did happen to my mother-in-law sometimes ago. My brother-in-law was a student at A&M in Texas. One day, an young person showed up at the door claiming he was a close friend of my brother-in-law and he was in dire need for some money. Without much thought, my mother-in-law have him the money. This is a cool scam and folks prey on those who are soft nature. So, they do get their homeworks done prior to commit the crime.
Old July 29, 2005, 08:39 AM

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

this thing getting more frequent than what i thought then.

this guy went to my sister telling he was a friend of mine. my sis didn't think of anything else but my smartass niece (only 12) sent me an sms from grameen phone asking about him!

u guys can use this tip to avoid harassing actual friend in case someone shows up.

Edited on, July 29, 2005, 1:40 PM GMT, by Rubu.
Old October 9, 2005, 07:08 PM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

I guess they finally got caught...

Ittefaq News

Old October 9, 2005, 08:44 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

lmao

'paliye jawar shomoy garir chaka fete jay'

well deserved! .. probably would have gotten a public beating if it was a man

Old October 9, 2005, 08:57 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Hatebreed
.. probably would have gotten a public beating if it was a man
rather,this ninja was in the news for beating up her ex husband & father-in -law in the courthouse(in front of a magistrate & thousands of on-lookers !!) a few days ago..
Old October 9, 2005, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

hehehehe...hillarious
Old October 9, 2005, 09:53 PM
ODI Cricketer

Wow- they must not be paying any money in FDC for the actresses to take up crime.
Old October 10, 2005, 09:17 PM
Cricket Legend

I think they don't do these on their own. They must be directed by directors in life as well!!!!
Old October 11, 2005, 11:10 AM
Cricket Guru

jak tao to dhora porsey..

ekai boley ek maghey shith jay na...

or

Chorer dosh din, grihoster 1 din...