facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old November 4, 2002, 02:39 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Mashrafee

The following article in the Daily Star is about the most meaningful information that I have seen on Mashrafee's injuries and status in any Bangladeshi newspaper - one wonders why even the news reporting is so poor in BD. He definitely tore a ligament, I can see why he is not ready after 7 months post surgery. let's hope he had a good rehab program.

Mashrafee targets WC

Sports Reporter

Mashrafee-bin-Mortuza dreams of bowling in next year's World Cup in South Africa.
The tearaway from Narail, after bursting on to the international scene in the series home series against Zimbabwe last November, has been languishing on the sidelines for the past ten months due to a spate of injuries.

Yet the teenager is full of hope that will recover in time for cricket's greatest show starting in February. The right-arm quickie expressed the view to the Daily Star Sport at the Dhanmondi Cricket Stadium yesterday.

Considered the fastest bowler in the country, Mashrafee first suffered a back injury during Bangladesh's tour of New Zealand last December.

Battling to get back into fitness for the visit of Pakistan earlier this year, he tore a ligament in the left knee last February while doing some light training.

That forced the 19-year-old to undergo surgery in Bangalore on March 9 under the supervision of Dr. Thomas Chandi.

"Still I can feel the pain in my knee at times. Although I have just joined the national team camp, I

think am not strong enough physically to bowl at my old pace and rhythm.

"During a recent a session with physio John Gloster he told me that it would take at least another five to six weeks to regain full fitness," the young bowler said.

"My main aim is to play for Bangladesh in the World Cup. So, I am working hard to achieve that goal even though there is not much time left. And hopefully from the end of December I will be involved in domestic cricket. By then I will also have gained an extra stride of pace too," he added.

Mashrafee said that after spending a week at a rehabilitation camp with another four bowlers at the Savar- based BKSP last month, he was advised to take complete rest at his hometown in Narail.

Though Mashrafee himself may feel that he is the victim of his rise to stardom, yet media tends to point the blame on Gloster for his role in aggravating the injury.

Mashrafee was certified fit by the Australian physio to spearhead the Bangladesh attack in the second Test against New Zealand despite his carrying a groin injury from the first Test.

But that was last time the country would hear of him in action. The speedster injured his back.

Old November 4, 2002, 04:06 PM
Club Cricketer

Any news on Shariff and Tarek Aziz???
Old November 4, 2002, 04:12 PM
Cricket Legend

Man, was I happy to hear about Mashrafee's progress. Only thing is, I am scared that Gloster will again aggravate the injury by speeding up the recovery. Honestly, it will be great if he plays in the World Cup, but if in his attempt to do so, he aggravates the injury and delays his return by another year, that will be crap. I just hope that his return is timely and not overly ambitious.
Old November 4, 2002, 04:52 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শা
Default Surprising

You'd think BCB would be more carefuul in dealing with Masri but NO, they still let the "quack" (sorry) take care of him. How does that work out ?

Anyways, glad to hear that he was in the camp, taking his rests and the "physio" gave him a window of 6 weeks before he regains full fitness. That sure beats the ONE YEAR period we read baout couple weeks back.

Questions remains - is he going to be as fast as before ? Will he be trully fit or is this going to aggrevate his condition to worse.
Old November 4, 2002, 10:59 PM
Cricket Legend

Unless I am mistaken, our first game in the World Cup is on the 11th of February against Canada. That gives Masri slightly over three months. If Gloster is right, then Masri will be fully fit 6 to 7 weeks before the start of the world cup. Thats enough time to make a case for inclusion. Thats pretty positive. Only, can we trust Gloster's opinion?

[Edited on 5-11-2002 by Sham]
Old November 4, 2002, 11:00 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza
Default happy

I am happier now than I was few hours ago. Reading the Mashrafe news in Dailystar made my day. I just hope he gets his speed back.

Old November 4, 2002, 11:49 PM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

The recent Kriralok reported on all the pace bowlers who were at the rehab camp for injury.

It was an old report - may be written last month, and it said that chances are very poor for all of the pacers except Shanto for returning to the world cup.

At the moment the way our team has been handling by the selectors, experience of Shanto and Monju along with raw talent of a hundred percent fit Tapash Baisya and Talha Jubair could do us a world of good in the world cup.
Old November 5, 2002, 04:38 AM
Cricket Legend

I dont have a place in my team for Shanto. He is a nice guy, played with him in the nets at old DOHS, once was our top bowler but his amazing consistency at bowling two leg side half volleys every over cannot be ignored. Also, so far in Tests, Monju has taken 22 wickets at 57 and at a strike rate of 100.3, Talha has taken 9 wickets at 51 at a SR of 72.4, Sharif has taken 14 wickets at 64 at a SR of 96.6. Add to that a fit Masri (12 at 31 at a SR of 52.3). Does Shanto, with his 6 wickets at 95 at a SR of 130, deserve a place? Even if he is fully fit, I wouldnt take him in my team.
Old November 5, 2002, 10:14 AM
Cricket Legend

Default shanto and masri

couldn't agree with sham more. there is no point in taking shanto now when talha and tapash and even monir have just concluded a tour of south africa. that epxerience will be important in the world cup, unless there is another bowler available who significantly raises our chances. And the only one who does is a fit Mashrafee. with the exception of a Rafique/moni swap, and the inclusion of "allrounders" such as an Ashraful, any other bowling changes in the world cup team would be questionable. i realize tareq aziz and sharif are out there, so may change my mind after they are fully fit and have had some match performances.

on mashrafee, just wanted to mention that 10% of ACL (again assuming this was acl) sugeries fail, and half of that (ie 5%) fail very late in rehab. Those are nothing to worry about too much, unless of course you happen to fall in that category as I did in the past after a soccer injury. so we need to knock on wood that masharafee will have smooth sailing on his return....