facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 14, 2006, 03:42 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

JO is a taboo subject. He's beyond all logic and judgement.

Old April 14, 2006, 03:44 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Only Bangladeshi batting can keep us in the fight. If they can put some good total in the first innings, BD bowlers will certainly take advantage of that and will not allow aussies to ride with high scoring total. And only then we will have the chance to give a close fight or even win the test.
Old April 14, 2006, 06:49 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

I would still have faith in Aftab. He is too good a player to be played around with like this. It will destroy his confidence. He needs to be told to go out there and play his natural game and use good judgement. He does look tense out there as if there are thousand voices planted in his head that are struggling for control.

I think we need to recognize what worked for us. Being positive and scoring freely really put Australia under pressure. So the important thing would be to stay positive and put away the bad balls.

As for the team combination, I would replace Javed Omar with Nafees Iqbal, simply because he is the one with the capability to go and score beyond 20s and 30s, can play both pacers and spinners. Nafees has shown against Sri Lanka A that he is back and he means business, and Sri Lanka A are no pushovers (certainly better than what the Keyan bowling had to offer).

My team for the second test:

S Nafees
N Iqbal
H Bashar
M Ashraful
R Saleh (what a great test he had! very impressive!)
A Ahmed (just needs to play his natural game and not get bogged down! he is more in the more Gilchrist mould)
K Mashud
M Rafique
M Mortaza
S Hossain
E Haq Jnr.

I think that is a damn good test team and I can see these players in the team for the next 3 years!
Old April 14, 2006, 08:49 PM
First Class Cricketer

with due respect to Mashid's ability.. he canNOT play at number 4.. stickability to the wicket is not good enough to take up that position. he is 'ok' at number 7.. and has the mental strength to come back from the batting doldrums....
Old April 14, 2006, 08:51 PM
ODI Cricketer

Strategy more of the same please. If we do more of the same then surely we can not lose again!
Old April 14, 2006, 09:26 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: The Narail Express

battin' line will be somthing like this.. but bottom line is to get out there.. n score runs as possible.. whtr u stay on the wicket or scorin like crazy 'afridi'
S Nafees
J. Omar
R. Saleh
A. Ahmed
H Bashar
M Ashraful
K Mashud
M Rafique
M Mortaza
S Hossain
E Haq Jnr.
Old April 14, 2006, 10:02 PM
Retired BC Admin

Kapali's spin might come handy should the need arise, in place of Aftab's medium pace. Batting wise both of them are pretty comparable for the 2nd test. Aftab however holds a little edge in fielding. It will be a very close call, but in the end after much hair pulling, I'd probably lean a bit towards the change.

Nafees is as much unpredictable as Ashraful is. On their day, both can dig sizable holes in the Aussie attack. Given the high possibility of the blond boy to show his finger's worth for the first time, Ashraful is anything but sure to go after him if the past is of any indication. Similarly Nafees is more than eager to prove himself in front of the home crowd. Both will take unnecessary risks one time or another. And there lies the biggest gamble for Farouque & co.
Old April 14, 2006, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaman
Similarly Nafees is more than eager to prove himself in front of the home crowd.
Then seeing how Aftab will be at Ctg, we might as well let him prove himself in front of his home crowd

I dont think our team needs to change. The batsmen just have to play their game right, session by session and not go for risky and/or silly shots. we didnt see any of those from Gilchrist or Ponting. why should our guys do that? Unfortunately thats what happened with:

-bashar, nafees, aftab in 1st innings
-jo, aftab, pilot in 2nd innings
-Ashraful's many [edit] shots that fortunately didnt get him [edit].

If its JO's time to go, then maybe Nafees Iqbal may be given a chance. But mind you, he has been terribly inconsistent in all the innings he's played in the nat'l team. The second thing to do might be to punish ashraful for his attitude, and switch his position with aftab, and get kapali to fill the gap. But mind you this is a secondary priority thing - Ashraful on his day did play Murali well!

But MOST importantly... bashar has to be a more proactive captain on the field! He HAS to MAKE things HAPPEN! He has to constantly try new attacking field settings and ensure his bowlers are bowling to their fields! Also has to keep motivating and encouraging the kids under his wing EVERY moment of the game! He has to yell at Rajib and Abir and Enam and JO for being slow to fetch the ball! He HAS to be MORE aggressive and Stop those friggin singles!

All the batsmen have to respect good and decent balls and block/leave them away in both innings, and hit the bad ones off. There is MORE than ENOUGH time and overs to score runs. There is NO RUSH to score! Their only priority should be not to get out!

If BD can implement all these things and be IN the game (mentally - motivated all the time), then I ASSURE you, Aus will be defeated. But these are after all my hollow words and hopes. Its a heckuva lot difficult and tough to play these out on the ground. And thats where BD looks like needing to improve no doubt. So anyways, here's wishing them the best

Last edited by chinaman; April 14, 2006 at 11:24 PM.. Reason: mod.content. No strong words please.
Old April 15, 2006, 01:27 AM
Test Cricketer

I believe BD batsmen lack one notion, in common, what is the meaning of being positive and being dumb slogger! Why dont we understand that being positive does not mean being irresponsible in shot selection and go for the slogs.
Old April 15, 2006, 02:00 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaman
Kapali's spin might come handy should the need arise, in place of Aftab's medium pace. Batting wise both of them are pretty comparable for the 2nd test. Aftab however holds a little edge in fielding. It will be a very close call, but in the end after much hair pulling, I'd probably lean a bit towards the change.
hmm good point u made.. kapali is a fine batsman..who should be given more chances in test matches.. he is a brilliant fielder at point as well and sometimes very handy with his spin bowling...he is not a consistent hooker or puller ..or such a player who plays shot without even juding the ball...he is a thinking cricketer and plays with tempartment which is badly needed for our team.

6n4
Old April 15, 2006, 02:30 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Viv - he made all scared

why do u guys wanna reject AFTAB 4m team???...how can u add ALOK in da team replacing AFTAB???

i know...AFTAB is worst against spinners...but does ALOK is world-class batsmen against spinners???...he is also a poor batsment against spinners...so adding ALOK instad Aftab wont b good idea....n Team Management is misunisg of AFTAB...Aftab is'nt lower middle order batsmen...he is a top order batsmen....so he should play in top order...

n guys...for GOD sake...don compare between AFTAB n ALOK...Aftab is far better batsmen n talent than ALOK...so let him play...he'll click INSHA ALLAH...
Old April 15, 2006, 11:55 AM
Retired BC Admin

It is not about comparing two players or their talent. It is about the need of the team. It is about the application expected of a player in a given situation. Now that we have the luxury to chose from quite a bunch of tested players, we should carefully look into things previously unthinkable for us.

As for example, if we had Abir available, we did not have to play Hannan for 4 innings. We had the back ups to give Rajin a break.

It is neither about dumping a player nor about labeling one better that the other. It is just a part of the game plan if anyone wonders.
Old April 16, 2006, 03:45 AM
First Class Cricketer

The stragity and target will be "Try..yes...Try to save some pride for the sake of the country"
Old April 16, 2006, 12:54 PM
Club Cricketer

See.. I told u guys abt it...the change in order they made with rajin in the first innings was very necessary ..otherwise they could not even reach 197. God Bless you Rajin.Now, the other one Pilot, some of them was even talking abt dropping him and see what he does always for the team in times of need. Thanks a lot Pilot for being there as a fighter as always u do..

Now its all about the 2nd innings...why i mentioned about that change..because when pilot comes late..he doesn't find any batsman to support him and that's why he stayed at 34 not out there where other batsman got out one by one..so if he comes earlier, he will be able to carry out the batting.

All the best Bangladesh !!

6n4