facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old December 3, 2006, 01:47 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Default The members have a privilege

to open threads and to ignore threads if they don't find it interesting.

Why do the mods feel it necessary to treat us like toddlers? Even for a heavily moderated forum, recently the mods are acting in a very unacceptable manner when it comes to locking threads.

This has to be one of the worst reasons ever given for closing a thread.
http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...85&postcount=5
The mod gives his opinion on the topic, and then uses his mod power to lock it down! I got tired of this kind of thread locking and complained to chinaman about this particular thread. Thankfully he listened to me and unlocked the thread.

Today I saw this.
http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...9&postcount=21
Where does it say in the forum rules that there can't be many threads about Ashraful or any topic? Mods can take action in case of duplicate threads or threads with very similar subject. And it wasn't that the forum's first page was getting flooded by Ashraful threads today. There was only one Ashraful thread in the first page. This decision made me realize that the problem isn't with just a particular mod. This disease is spreading.

It's the mods duty to make us feel that we belong to a public forum. I'm sure that BC will do fine as an inner circle consisting only mods. Afterall there's not many forums with this kind of member:mod ratio. You would generate few articles per month, and always be able to engage in "healthy and constructive discussions".

Old December 3, 2006, 02:29 AM
BC Editorial Team

Default come on now ...

Spit,
your point of having an open forum is definitely pertinent, but when you yourself post: "Am I dreaming? This thread is not locked yet!!! " you proivide a damning indication of your own inclination as to what that thread is likely to contribute to the forum. The vast majority of the posts on the thread you speak of are of the tone "Not again! not another one!".

There has been a zillion Ash threads, and there will be a zillion more. For arguably the most talented yet maddeningly incosistent sportsman produced by Bangladesh, this is to be expected. However, my point was at least let the man have a bat before indulging in this debate (and the guaranteed spinning of intellectual cycles that entails).

I or another mod would have unlocked this thread as soon as Ash had an innings out in the middle. Until then why don't we focus on the match.

Hope you understand.

Mod
Old December 3, 2006, 04:15 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Oh... this thread hasnt been locked yet??
Guess i'll write something down before it gets so...

Done.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old December 3, 2006, 05:12 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Signed: Hatebreed. 03/12/2006
Old December 3, 2006, 06:25 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
Spit,
your point of having an open forum is definitely pertinent, but when you yourself post: "Am I dreaming? This thread is not locked yet!!! " you proivide a damning indication of your own inclination as to what that thread is likely to contribute to the forum. The vast majority of the posts on the thread you speak of are of the tone "Not again! not another one!".
You didn't get it. I replied to Ahmed_B (and it was before chinaman re-unlocked the 1st link's thread). My remark was only about this forum's over-moderation.

Vast majority of the posts in a thread may be "Not again! not another one!", but that's also part of a normal forum activity. Let the uninteresting threads die naturally. Unless this kind of thread is literally flooding the forum, there's no need for any mod action.
Old December 3, 2006, 06:45 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire_x86
I replied to Ahmed_B
Reply?
Old December 3, 2006, 06:47 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

I agree with Spitfire.

But again, mods are humans so don't expect them to make perfect decision all the time.
Old December 3, 2006, 08:08 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed_B
Reply?
I meant quoting your post.
Old December 4, 2006, 12:19 PM
Cricket Legend

I agree completely with Spitfire. Mods need to allow some level of hostility when it comes to Politics. Otherwise there will be no political discussions possible.

When it comes to Bangladesh, politics is vitriolic to the extent of actually being hazardous to one's physical well-being. Obviously that carries over to the web as well.

If a thread becomes tit-for-tat for just two persons and easily could have been done over Private Messages and does not present any value whatsoever to rest of the members, only then it makes sense to lock a thread.

It seems that a certain someone with Chinese disposition has again become trigger-happy, just this time with locking threads as opposed to enforcing strict signature rules last time ...

Old December 4, 2006, 04:55 PM
Cricket Legend

Sauron, my post wasn't about the politics thread lockups. It was about cricket threads.
Old December 4, 2006, 05:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire_x86
Sauron, my post wasn't about the politics thread lockups. It was about cricket threads.
Yep, got that already. My general point is about locking threads that are deemed "heated". Be it about cricket or be it about politics.

If there is pointless back-and-forth between two members that is not of general interest, those threads would die natural death. I can understand how there can be times when a thread needs to be locked, but it should be minimal. There is rampant locking going on the last couple of weeks.