facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old December 3, 2006, 01:01 PM
Retired BC Admin

Default Discussing Politics: Self assesment

This thread has been created to see if we can start healthy discussion on a subject frequented by both poor quality and content. We'll expand the scope of the discussion if it does take promising turns

Talking about politics is perhaps very natural if not dear to many of us. However, most of the time, the quality and contents of the 'talk' are as poor as the practice itself. More often than not, discussions are based on blind support instead of sound reasoning. Similarly more often than not, the targets of such discussions are to show which party is better instead of finding better ways to improve the country. Blame game is a popular trick in all bags, so as the short sightedness. We routinely exibit expertise to pass the buck conveniently. And personal attacks seem to be the rule.

There is no 'blanket ban' exits in Banglacricket for discussing politics. However, close moderation and low tolerance do to keep things cool.

Let's start with some self assesment. Just remember, this is about self and 'self' only. You don't have to name the party you support.

How many of you think you can honestly rise above the so-called 'party politics' and put the country ahead? How confident are you on this to carry on consistently?

Old December 3, 2006, 02:12 PM
Retired BC Admin

Please read the opening post and reply accordingly, if you like to. If you do not understand, simply do not reply.

This is not about what others think of you but what you think of yourself on a particular question.
This is not about what party you support or why.
This is not about which party you hate most or why you do so.
This is not about what others think of political leaders.
This is not about what you have posted previously.

This is about you. Reply, if you like to share with us, the answer to the question asked. Please do not post anything else here. I'll not hesitate to moderate strictly with very low tolerance.
Old December 3, 2006, 03:03 PM
Retired BC Admin

I deleted some of the responses. But for the record and to show our readers how some of our brightests responded, I'll quote it. I don't think anyone would blame the mods if they are strict on moderating political discussions after this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBgun
From what I have read about my replies, people complain that my logic is flawed. That is because people(not just BC people) have this notion of what is "wrong", "right","sane","insane", "Rational" etc. etc. If round reasoning according to the views of the moderators imply that logic must adhere to these notions of the aforementioned words, I feel that they will have problems with my posts.

Rising above the so called political parties would be easy but to consistently be doing it over and over again will be hard when people do hurl irrelevent insults to you. Here is where the moderators are supposed to i guess help members out.

Finally, I beleive calling leaders of political parites kajer bua, khallamma and etc etc is very problematic. After all they do take the initiatives to atleast change the status of the country. Most of us at BC say all these good things, but never take the effort to get our butts up and follow up on it.

I guess this is how i feel about the posts that i posted and their responses over the last few weeks, not necessarily a self assesment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahriyar
I do not support any political party but my hatred for BAL is more than BNP or any other party in Bangladesh. So I do not think "party politics" applies to me since I am not partisan. Since the mods seem to have gone through the politics threads closely I ask them, Did you find anything offensive in my posts in those threads? I think I always act civil and will always act so in the future. If you happen to have a different opinion about my posts then please do point out and I will be be happy to rectify them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by omio
I support AL,(may b)
but I couldnt find any interest of politics,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banglatiger84
And they are perfectly justified in having preconceived notions of what is "right" and what is "insane" when:

1) Murder or violence is considered wrong

2) Anyone supporting violence and anarchy is considered insane

There are many contentious points in this world, but political violence, the sort we see in BD at least, is not one of them.

If you question my authority to consider it wrong, then we may next see a discussion where someone objects to considering acid throwing wrong.

After all, who are we to call a supporter of acid-throwing wrong? Maybe in his world, its a perfectly acceptable act.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
I beleive, in discussing about politics, we do not talk from the 'human' point of view. We think more about the ideology we support and that's why our obscure vision fail to see the destructive nature of current politics(regardsless of ideology). And the sufferings of our beloved country and countrymen.
Old December 4, 2006, 11:50 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaman
Let's start with some self assesment. Just remember, this is about self and 'self' only. You don't have to name the party you support.

How many of you think you can honestly rise above the so-called 'party politics' and put the country ahead? How confident are you on this to carry on consistently?
Well I am pretty sure most of us think we can rise above the party politics and put the country above. Second question makes more sense. Specially the word consistently. Can we do it consistently all the time? We can support a party and still be neutral and put our country above anything else and thats how it should be done. Education plays a big part in it but at the same time, we need to have a clear open mind to see things from all perspective. Good question chinaman. I wonder how come noone replied to it yet.
Old December 4, 2006, 12:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadi
Good question chinaman. I wonder how come noone replied to it yet.
For fear of moderation
Old December 4, 2006, 12:27 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Niccolo Machiavelli

Why we always have to discuss politics ? I have hered of boring Bd men discussing politics even in honeymoon with their new brides. Why we can not just stick to some relaxing topic like cricket. And even there we have those political intruders- they just can not leave people alone. There is more in life than politics. It is a sport forum and should remain so. If people need to discuss politics they should go to the political forums which are undoubtably plenty to find.
Old December 4, 2006, 01:21 PM
First Class Cricketer

I guess part of the problem is one's perception of the word "neutral". I may think of what I write is pretty neutral but the other readers and the moderators may think differently. In case of the readers, I'll get a reply, hursh or not. But in case of the moderator, either my post will be deleted or at the extreme, I'll lose my privilage of writing here. The latitude of a member should be clear....that is, how far a member can go before getting moderated.
Old December 4, 2006, 01:42 PM
Retired BC Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensible
...that is, how far a member can go before getting moderated.
Anywhere you like to as long as the board rules are followed. Anyway, I seriously doubt any of you guys really going or even moving. Just take another look at what I requested in the first post of the thread and what are the responses. Those responses will be there for our grandsons to laugh at us.
Old December 4, 2006, 02:52 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
If "rising above party politics" mean that I don't hesitate to blame or praise either party if they deserve it, then I am honestly above so called "party politics".

And I am very confident that I will carry this on consistently since I have always been this way without any issue.

What about you?
Old December 4, 2006, 03:23 PM
Retired BC Admin

I've been 100% politically neutral for quite some time now and this will not change any time soon if ever. I actually don't have to rise above the party politics, I live there, confidently, consistently.

I've done my time, upclosed, in the long past and learn to put my poor country high above this so-called party politics.
Old December 4, 2006, 03:41 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Quote:
Anywhere you like to as long as the board rules are followed. Anyway, I seriously doubt any of you guys really going or even moving. Just take another look at what I requested in the first post of the thread and what are the responses. Those responses will be there for our grandsons to laugh at us.
CM bhai, I tried honestly to clarify the driving force behind some of the posts made by different posters in our political thread. I really can't find anything laughing in my response.

Can you help me to find that??

(I am asking because, I am not happy with your generalisation)
Old December 4, 2006, 04:24 PM
Cricket Legend

I just hate every political party of our beloved country. This is terrible and it shows how corrupted they are.

In a country where more than half of the population live under the poverty level, corruption is the dominant feature, we do not have any health regulation(niti), education regulation in place- who is trying to make these things happen? NOBODY. Police commit murder but nothing happens to them, terrorists commits rape nothing happens to them also! Where we are going?

I have always tried to respond in BC according to my limited political knowledge, but why do we keep supporting those lame, blind political parties? Why we can't appreciate the good things and critisize the bad things?

Few days ago I was thinking- probably we don't have any bright future because our young generation (like BC) think almost the same way our veteren desi politician think. And Unfortunately it is true. If we think the same way those people think then are we moving towards the right direction? We are not. Most of us are busy taking revenge, attacking others personally.

The last word - I have always been thinking about the well being of my country. I do appreciate if any party does a good thing and the same I do criticize if any party involved in corruption. And I believe I will be putting my country ahead of any so called parties.

ওইখানে আমিও আছি /যেইখানে সূর্য উদয়/প্রিয়দেশ পাল্টে দেবো/তুমি আর আমি বোধহয়/কমরেড, তৈরি থেকো/গায়ে মাখো আলতা বরণ/আমি তুমি আমি তুমি/এভাবেই লক্ষ চরণ
Old December 4, 2006, 04:47 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
I actually don't have to rise above the party politics, I live there, confidently, consistently.
You are contradicting yourself. Your question was "How many of you think you can honestly rise above the so-called 'party politics' and put the country ahead?" It implies that, at least in your mind, you have to rise above the party politics in order to put the country ahead.

Anyway, I get your drift, regardless of how you worded your post. So, welcome to the community of people who put their country ahead, whether they rise above or stay under party politics.

Old December 4, 2006, 04:58 PM
Retired BC Admin

Dear Miraz

Thank you very much for making me aware of your feelings. Let me clarify very briefly a thing or two here - hopefully this would make you feel better.

As I mentioned, political discussions have been anything but decent most of the time here which pose quite a bit of dilemma for the moderators on one hand and bitter taste for the feuding members on the other. The last thing we want is to see the members leave with bitterness.

We could flatly disallow those talks. After some soul searching we decided to allow it in the end with tighter than usual moderation.

Things actually didn't improve and I personally continue to receive complains of personal attacks among other things.

On a bid to make things atleast little better I came up with what I call 'structured discussion' and this thread was born.

Here in this thread I did not invite anyone to discuss politics or issues or other posts. I just invited the answers to two simple questions for the willing participants. After reiterating the plea and clarifying further, posts were made and guess what, they are full of things that I requested not to discuss here and none contained the requested answer. I definitely would not mind even if there was no answer at all. However, if 'I love cricket' is the answer to 'what time it is' then I'd say our gradsons would be amazed for sure.

Anyway, my plan was to expand the scope of discussion about politics if there was promising responses. Sadly, this is not going well at the moment. I'll continue to monitor this thread.

My last request to all, if you like to post in this thread, post only the answers to the questions at the top post. Anything else are flatly irrelevant and will be deleted & archived. Mod actions will be considered as well. If you don't like to answer the questions, please do not post in this thread.
Old December 4, 2006, 08:55 PM
First Class Cricketer

It seems with shutting down the somewhat political threads, the only lively discussion in Banglacricket will f one opens a thread saying something for or against Ashraful. Otherwise, the BC forum is somewhat in ICU. SO someone please say something about Ash.
Old December 4, 2006, 08:58 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

After reiterating the plea and clarifying further, posts were made and guess what, they are full of things that I requested not to discuss here and none contained the requested answer. I definitely would not mind even if there was no answer at all.
Didn't I answer your questions? If you didn't get it then here we go:First answer- I think I am already risen above the party politics. Second answer is: I am very much confident that I will carry on doing so consistently.

ওইখানে আমিও আছি /যেইখানে সূর্য উদয়/প্রিয়দেশ পাল্টে দেবো/তুমি আর আমি বোধহয়/কমরেড, তৈরি থেকো/গায়ে মাখো আলতা বরণ/আমি তুমি আমি তুমি/এভাবেই লক্ষ চরণ

Last edited by SMHasan; December 11, 2006 at 12:46 AM..
Old December 10, 2006, 03:43 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Dale Willem Steyn

Consider this as a warning for not following mod instructions - chinaman

Last edited by chinaman; December 10, 2006 at 12:56 PM..
Old December 10, 2006, 04:20 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

Old December 10, 2006, 10:48 AM
ODI Cricketer