facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old December 7, 2006, 01:48 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Grand truths about human behavior

• It's more complicated than that.
  • Unintended consequences inevitably attend purposive social action. (Robert K. Merton)
  • "It is a principle that shines impartially on the just and the unjust that once you have a point of view all history will back you up." (Van Wyck Brooks)
  • All the world is multivariate.
  • Much of the world is distributed lognormally.
  • People are different.
  • Rehearsal improves performance.
  • Effective intervention-thinking and choice-thinking necessarily require reasoning about comparisons, approximations, opportunity costs, and causality.
  • All grand theories, other than perhaps the scientific method, ultimately err (and some collapse) by overreaching.
  • "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." (Richard Feynman)
  • In explanations of human activities, both muddling through and incompetence are under-estimated, and both rational optimizing and conspiracy over-estimated.
  • Nearly all self-assessments claim above-average performance.
  • "The rage for wanting to conclude is one of the most deadly and most fruitless manias to befall humanity. Each religion and each philosophy has pretended to have God to itself, to measure the infinite, and to know the recipe for happiness. What arrogance and what nonsense! I see, to the contrary, that the greatest geniuses and the greatest works have never concluded." (Gustave Flaubert)
  • "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." (George Bernard Shaw)
  • "What a man wishes, he will believe" - Demosthenes
  • When you hear hoofbeats, think horse, not zebra.
  • Be approximately right rather than exactly wrong. (John Tukey)
  • "When given two competing explanations for an event----one involving conspiracy and the other incompetence----always choose incompetence." ( Richard Cottam, University of Pittsburgh)
  • There are two groups of people, those who divide people into two groups and those who don't. (Robert Benchley)
  • In the evolution of useful things, continual refinement is the usual rule in technology. Engineers constantly notice shortcomings in their designs and fix them little by little. “Form follows failure." (Henry Petroski)
  • In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

Last edited by Arnab; December 8, 2006 at 07:41 PM..

Old December 10, 2006, 06:18 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Alastair Cook

True in most cases.
Old December 11, 2006, 09:44 AM
Cricket Legend

I don't know if there is any qoute which captures this every day trait of mine:
.. tackle the easy problems first and then the hard ones. For example in a multi question exam go for the easy ones and then target the difficult questions.

but I pretty much live by
Old December 11, 2006, 10:43 AM
Banned

A few quotes from my own diary:

1. “If you were given a pain killer to reduce pain, think of effect first, then the side- effect”-sorry

2. “In a kingdom of lion, all animals are loyal or scared because of fear and survival”.-sorry

3. “Lawmakers make laws because they once broke them and they are likely to break them again in their own convenience in an organisation without accountability”-sorry

4.“Dictators have 3 steps approach- take control, inhibit or stop opposition, elimination”.-sorry

5. “When police come and knock your door, don’t suspect police, suspect yourself but when they go public and spread smell of conspiracy, suspect police”.-sorry
Old December 11, 2006, 12:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Hmm..#5 looks suspicious.
Old December 11, 2006, 04:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnab
Hmm..#5 looks suspicious.
can you elaborate?
Old December 11, 2006, 04:32 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorry
A few quotes from my own diary:

1. “If you were given a pain killer to reduce pain, think of effect first, then the side- effect”-sorry

2. “In a kingdom of lion, all animals are loyal or scared because of fear and survival”.-sorry

3. “Lawmakers make laws because they once broke them and they are likely to break them again in their own convenience in an organisation without accountability”-sorry

4.“Dictators have 3 steps approach- take control, inhibit or stop opposition, elimination”.-sorry

5. “When police come and knock your door, don’t suspect police, suspect yourself but when they go public and spread smell of conspiracy, suspect police”.-sorry
What does number 5 mean anyways?
Old December 11, 2006, 05:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBgun
What does number 5 mean anyways?
A man from Brazil was killed by police last year in the UK. They didn't knock anyone's door but in public police branded him as terrorist.
Old December 11, 2006, 06:15 PM
Cricket Sage

"Re-engineer truth from stat to your advantage"
"Prepare youself with a credible excuse before you promise someone"
"Dodging responsibility from failure is the Pillar of success"
"Do what I say, don't do what I do"
"Bakkoler (Bay-akkeler) Maitta Koliga Dangor Hoi"
"Jorey Bok Porey, Fokirer keramoti barey"
"Pete Ghu Thakley Jilapi Banaye Haga jai"
"Boro Loker Kerani Howar Cheye Kulir Shordar Howa Bhalo"
"Shokuner Doayee Goru Morey Na"
"Koila Dhuleyoo Moila Jai na"
Old December 11, 2006, 10:47 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorry
A man from Brazil was killed by police last year in the UK. They didn't knock anyone's door but in public police branded him as terrorist.
Is it that killing that happened in london? Dint the police apoligize after that?
Old December 12, 2006, 07:14 AM
Test Cricketer

It takes strength to be firm.
It takes courage to be gentle.

It takes strength to oppose.
It takes courage to adjust.

It takes strength to conquer
It takes courage to surrender.

It takes strength to be certain.
It takes courage to have doubt.

It takes strength to fit in team.
It takes courage to stand out.

It takes strength to feel a friend's pain.
It takes courage to feel own pain.

It takes strength to hide feelings.
It takes courage to show them.

It takes strength to stand-alone.
It takes courage to be in a group.

It takes strength to survive.
It takes courage to live.
Old December 12, 2006, 06:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBgun
Is it that killing that happened in london? Dint the police apoligize after that?
how could an innocent's loss of life be justified with an apology and to console a family?
btw, that was a simulation game of the quote; back to the earth,under the cloud, "Sorry seems to be the hardest word".
Old December 13, 2006, 05:44 AM
Banned

For those who are still puzzled with this thread got to read the following thread:
“ideal member? Self assessment”

And for those who need clarification, consider following;
  • A member rating system was introduced- called ‘RAP’ and hundreds of members got ripped off by cheating and favouritism. No explanation was given and no apology was made.
  • A highly entertaining member was branded as “stupid” and got treated like a piece of s**t by group of “bot gaach”. No remorse was shown or no apology was made or no welcome back was given on his return. That member has spent thousands of hours writing post to provide free entertainment but he was discarded because he had dispute with “bot gaach” . It is not only that ‘bot gaach’s time and contribution are valuable, our time is valuable as well and when we spend time here, show some appreciation and if you can not do that, state it on signing BC membership, I would think twice.
  • I went to a “thanks” giving party thread and got branded as “liar” and that was supported by a “bot gaach”. No remorse was shown while “prejudice” on the driving seat.
  • Recently I have posted a thread called “ideal member? Self assessment” to reflect the irregularities in polite manner and this “grand truth about human behaviour” is posted in response to my thread as part of ‘branding’ culture. If there was any query in regards to my thread, that could have been addressed directly.

Now I want to continue posting in BC without the fear of intimidation and “gang prejudice”.
Although I will be off for next few weeks due to my final year exams. I want to see rectifications are made and “prejudice” has been eradicated. Otherwise, on my return, I will step up my gear.