facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 12, 2007, 12:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Umpires!
Default Rana is the best, the greatest!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muradnyc
Left-arm spinner Manzarul Islam, who shared the new ball with pacer Dollar Mahmud in a surprise move, scripted the victory. Tushar brought out-of-favour Manzarul into attack in the very second over after inviting their opponents to bat first and the experienced left-arm spinner justified the decision removing Steve Davies in his very first delivery. Manzarul trapped Nick Compton leg before wicket in his second over as the touring side were reduced to 10-2.
Now Rana is even opening bowling for the team! My goodness, now this is talent and dedication. And again due to his brilliant bowling ang batting, almost single handedly he won the match. Rana, you are are greatest player, its time for the national team call! Three cheers for Rana!!!

Old March 13, 2007, 01:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Charlie Ranadall's view on the tour, from TC-

From Charlie's angle

Charlie Randall, 58, has been a sports writer with the Daily Telegraph in London for more than 27 years. He switched to full-time cricket reporting in 1988 and his passion for the game has inspired him to launch his own website www.charlierandallcricket.com. Randall was the lone English journalist covering the England A team’s just concluded tour of Bangladesh and the weeks spent in this country by his own admission has been an enlightening experience in many ways than one as revealed to Noman Mohammad.

Have you followed Bangladesh’s cricket before coming here?
No but I will take more of an interest after this tour.

Why did you decide to cover this A Tour?
The London papers were not interested in this tour because of the cost involved. They spent their entire budget on the Ashes and World Cup, so it's understandable. I offered to cover the tour cheaply for them, and I received commissions from three national papers, a London evening paper, Wisden Cricketer magazine and Wisden Almanack. I did a radio interview with BBC World Service on Bangladesh cricket, having made sure I had spoken to Shaun Williams first for information. If I had not come here there would have been very little media coverage in the UK.

This is your second visit to Bangladesh. What are the notable differences?
I wanted to come and see how much progress had been made since my previous visit in 1999, the pre-Test status era. It is obvious much progress has been made. The investment has been made and it is paying off. There is a proper development structure, a first class program – to my surprise, involving professional players – and far greater fitness levels. Preparation seems to be as intensive as anywhere else in the world.

Is Bangladesh’s cricket going in the right direction?
Of course. There is no turning back.

How would you rate Bangladesh’s chances in the upcoming World Cup?
I suppose nil but they might spring a surprise victory. The next World Cup could be better.

From the players you have seen who do you see making a mark in the future?
Tushar Imran has the mental capacity for Test cricket, definitely. He is a solid player too and it is surprising that his one-day statistics are mediocre. I like Enamul Haque (Jr.), obviously, and was amazed to hear he was only 20. Of the younger elements, Mehrab Hossain (Jr.), Dollar Mahmud and Mahmudullah Riyad have impressed me. Riyad should have played more than a single one-dayer, in my view.

In your view what are the strengths of the Bangladeshi players?
Enthusiasm and time-honoured spin. It was difficult to tell because they were made to struggle by a very good England A side. Stuart Broad and Graham Onions are Test class quicks.

And the weaknesses…
The problem of inexperience will go away in time and the lack of physical presence can not be helped - I don't mean everyone should be like Will Jefferson at 6ft 10inch. Sri Lanka was a similar case 15 years ago but when players such as De Silva, Jayasuriya, Murali and Vaas come along, everything gets better. One day some exceptional Bangladeshis will rise from the Academy.

How has this tour gone for you?
As the only UK journalist it was a bit lonely and it is unfair not to have a glass of beer waiting for me somewhere (laughs). I was very busy, but overall I enjoyed the tour very much. The matches were played in very good spirit – though that was bad business for me!

You have told me many times about your fascination for the ‘Tuk-tuks’ (CNG-run auto rickshaws)…
Yes, I really loved and enjoyed the Tuk-tuk rides. These Tuk-tuk drivers are incredibly skilful, but for a European these rides may seem scary, very scary. In Bogra I used rickshaws. That was fine until the England team bus ran us off the road!

Did you enjoy Bangladeshi food?
Yes, very much. But most Indian restaurants in UK are Bangladeshi anyway so I am used to your food.

But you must have missed the night life here…
Yes. Socializing is an important part of touring, whether with players or local people. It helps ease the stress of travel and work in a foreign country. Muslim countries seem to have fewer public meeting places at night after cricket work has finished. So that is tough for Europeans.

Your most memorable experience from this tour?
Unfortunately it was being pick-pocketed in Bogra high street when a pavement collision was stage-managed. It was the first time in 16 years of touring that I had been a victim. I lost two £20 notes and my credit card and needed the ECB to help pay my hotel bill!