facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 15, 2007, 02:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakibul Hasan

The ICC is against it. Heres the latest news on this front:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricinfo Staff

Pakistan told to speak English

ICC ask for no Urdu

The ICC has asked the Pakistan team management to avoid holding press conferences in Urdu during the World Cup. It was announced yesterday that the Pakistan players would only answer questions in Urdu so as to avoid any ambiguity in the answers given.

An ICC spokesman was reported to have told the Pakistan management that they were against the proposal because "translating for the player and the press takes a long time and the ICC has fixed times for all media meets." It was also reported that some of the press had complained at the time it took to complete the Pakistan media conferences.

Local reports claimed that Inzamam-ul-Haq was unhappy with the decision to conduct the conferences in Urdu, arguing that it reflected badly on the team.

However, Dr Naseem Ashraf, the Pakistan board chairman, backed the move, saying it was a good opportunity to promote Urdu internationally.

Old March 15, 2007, 02:40 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD4eva
The ICC is against it. Heres the latest news on this front:
urdu!!promote Internationally?......vondami'r ar jaiya pai na......and somebody was telling to adopt this.

now this pic doesn't look like inzi is talking abt cricket. I'm sure it has to do something with the TAbligue jamaat preaching..........inzi is preaching and rest of them are just nodding down and listening.
Bd should definitely not adopt this practise.
Old March 15, 2007, 05:16 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakibul Hasan

Another news update:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricinfo Staff
No requirement on Pakistan to speak English
ICC denies reports of ban on Urdu

The ICC has told Cricinfo that it has not asked the Pakistan team management to avoid holding press conferences in Urdu during the World Cup.

It was announced yesterday that the Pakistan players would only answer questions in Urdu so as to avoid any ambiguity in the answers given, and subsequently it was reported the ICC had requested them to speak English to avoid media conferences being excessively drawn out.

"At no point did the ICC say it cannot allow the Pakistan team management to hold press conferences in Urdu," an ICC spokesman told Cricinfo. "The ICC doesn't tell the participating teams in which language they have to speak. The issue of Pakistan players speaking in Urdu was discussed with the Pakistan Cricket Board chairman Naseem Ashraf in Kingston earlier this week and he agreed with the ICC that for all media events happening inside the playing field players will speak in English, while for all media events outside the playing field, Pakistan players will talk in Urdu."

© Cricinfo
Old March 15, 2007, 08:27 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Ryder,Tamim,shakib,warner

in my opinion, Bd should play atleast 15 over without losing any wicket. Tamim will score according to his style, Shahriar should stay in crease as long as possible. If in case, wicket falls quickly, i think mushfiq should play as one down.Tamim should play his natural game. we want some quick fire from tamim. I am not sure, which bowler BD will use, rasel/shahadat. In the last match, BD should give rest to mashrafi and play both shahadat/Rasel and Tapash, and choose 1 for the main game. anyway, I think, BD will use rasel, he was more economic last match. if situation demands, Rafiq can be brought up as top order and mashrafi too get quick run. This team is awsome. My only fear is, may be they have too much confidence now, which can be harmful for the team.
Old March 15, 2007, 08:32 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: MashrafeRazzakShakib(atm)

Bangladesh has got Australian coach, trainer and physician. They should be able to learn and understand english well. English is not difficult to learn and that's why Bangladeshi players should know and speak english correctly and fluently.
Old March 15, 2007, 08:34 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: MashrafeRazzakShakib(atm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny747
urdu!!promote Internationally?......vondami'r ar jaiya pai na......and somebody was telling to adopt this.

now this pic doesn't look like inzi is talking abt cricket. I'm sure it has to do something with the TAbligue jamaat preaching..........inzi is preaching and rest of them are just nodding down and listening.
It looks like he and his team preparing for a war. NARAYE TAKBIR !! ALLAHU AKBAR !!!
Old March 16, 2007, 01:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
Expressing in English in front of international media does not mean in any way that you are not proud of your language and your country.
True.

Quote:
It's just an excuse to save the faces who are very weak in English.
Not really. Not being able to speak English is not a matter of shame.

Quote:
1. It is not a matter of shame to be not able to speak in commendable English for a person, whose mother tongue is other than English. I've met a lot of high ranking professional people, from countries like Japan, France etc., who are really very weak in English. In most cases, they start their speeches with an apology for not having decent English and that's all.
Good point.

Quote:
2. All our players should be ready to talk to the media in English, because they will not find the "interpreter" always, like when they are asking questions in the middle of the field.
The media doesn't usually operate in the middle of the field.
Old March 16, 2007, 02:09 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny747

Where does it say that Inzamam is preaching ?
Don't make up things and try to make a bad name for a religious effort. I am not related to it in any way but it's just a bad practice to make religion the evil and it's not even in the context of this thread.
Old March 16, 2007, 03:44 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanglaCool
Where does it say that Inzamam is preaching ?
Don't make up things and try to make a bad name for a religious effort. I am not related to it in any way but it's just a bad practice to make religion the evil and it's not even in the context of this thread.
I knew somebody(?) will accuse me of religious plot. Very bad taste. Anyway,
Inzamam called on my mobile the other day when i was having dinner. He told me he was preaching and he does it always.

Last edited by sunny747; March 16, 2007 at 03:52 AM..
Old March 16, 2007, 04:44 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhakablues
Once upon a time, Cicket was the game of the rich in Bangladesh. In fact, it was not too long ago that it was kinda required that you be smart, Banglish and know a bit of cricket. But that was the days of Raqibul Hasan, Prince et al. Things have changed.. its more the game than smartness that counts. Hence, you find players like Rafique, Razzaq etc. that arent all that into the art of language. in fact, most of the Bangladeshi players cant even speak PROPER Bangla well. Does it matter? I bet it doesnt. The Captain should be able to speak a bit to the media to explain his enthusiasm, frustration etc. In that sense, the current and future captains,Suman Shahrier/Saqib are well equipped and speaks understandable English. Pakistan is not a comparison to Bangladesh,, their educational system sux big time. But one thing for sure,, they are die hard patriots when it comes to their homeland and language.
So are we mate
Old March 16, 2007, 04:57 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseshah
in my opinion, Bd should play atleast 15 over without losing any wicket. Tamim will score according to his style, Shahriar should stay in crease as long as possible. If in case, wicket falls quickly, i think mushfiq should play as one down.Tamim should play his natural game. we want some quick fire from tamim. I am not sure, which bowler BD will use, rasel/shahadat. In the last match, BD should give rest to mashrafi and play both shahadat/Rasel and Tapash, and choose 1 for the main game. anyway, I think, BD will use rasel, he was more economic last match. if situation demands, Rafiq can be brought up as top order and mashrafi too get quick run. This team is awsome. My only fear is, may be they have too much confidence now, which can be harmful for the team.
I thought we were talking about whether or not we should adopt the "not speaking english" thing. I cant quite tell what you said has to do with that.
Old March 16, 2007, 05:37 AM
First Class Cricketer

Bangladesh should speak in Benglai because its our mother language and they should use it when there is something big like world cup. but sometimes english is acceptable.
Old March 16, 2007, 09:24 AM
Club Cricketer

BDFlag hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
IMO, they should speak in English in front of the world media. For someone like Rafiq, Bangla should be more appropriate than English.

Pakistan is adopting the policy due to the weakness of senior players (Inzi, Younis and Yousuf) in English.

Youni's english is okay,,just 2 or 3 players in pak feels not comfortable...
& BD er maximum is ok,,xpcept som,rules should b lik this...Who is comfortable in Bangla they should carry on in Bangla..& ppl lik Bashar,omar,tanim or nafis,they r comfortable with English,,so be it
Old March 16, 2007, 10:20 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
IMO, they should speak in English in front of the world media. For someone like Rafiq, Bangla should be more appropriate than English.

Pakistan is adopting the policy due to the weakness of senior players (Inzi, Younis and Yousuf) in English.
That is also my opinion. NOT speaking English does not make anyone something like a patriot; on the other hand people will get bored of those translation overhead. Extremism is no smartness!
Old March 16, 2007, 11:45 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
Expressing in English in front of international media does not mean in any way that you are not proud of your language and your country. It's just an excuse to save the faces who are very weak in English. Here I have the following points to ponder:
1. It is not a matter of shame to be not able to speak in commendable English for a person, whose mother tongue is other than English. I've met a lot of high ranking professional people, from countries like Japan, France etc., who are really very weak in English. In most cases, they start their speeches with an apology for not having decent English and that's all.
2. All our players should be ready to talk to the media in English, because they will not find the "interpreter" always, like when they are asking questions in the middle of the field.
3. We can easily observe that there are very few Bangladeshi ex-cricketers, who have become commentators in international media. This is all because of poor English proficiency. If we (Bangladeshi commentators) will not say about ourselves, then no one will say for us "Take that Australia"!
4. Learning any language never means that you hate your own. We are already much behind in competition with our neighbours in the international arena, only because we stopped learning English during early post-independence period. Most of our graduates from that period cannot express anything in a decent language and could not compete in international job market. We don't want to repeat that.

true...