facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 20, 2004, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by AgentSmith
now i understand the meaning of all these. ah, senior citizen's day is coming
go back to your room, sonny .. the grown ups are talking

Old May 20, 2004, 09:50 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Cricket46
Tintin mentioned names of some of the better players then. Heera was a fantastic wicketkeeper. Yusuf Babu was probably the most attractive batsman, and he could bowl as well. Rumi was another elegant batsman. The best bowler of that time probably was Lintu ( a friend of mine). He was a left arm spinner. I think I mentioned this one time on this board, that he also stood first in the SSC exams.
Oh this brings back so many memories!! Shamim Kabir was the captain in the Dhaka match. Nazrul kader Lintu (if I remember correctly) probably took 4 wickets! Remember Doulotuzzaman the opening bowler (He died recently)? I used to collect paper cutting! I wish I still had them!
Old May 20, 2004, 09:57 PM
ODI Cricketer

Anybody remembers Warnapura, Tenecum, Kaluperuma? Those were the days before Srilanka gained test status! Warnapura hit so many sixes that Police personel in a near by Barrack though they were under attack!! They used to beat us within two days!! God we have come a long way!!
Old May 20, 2004, 11:17 PM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally posted by chinaman

How do I forget that one handed save? Name Mohsin?
He played for Mohamedan that time.

[Edited on 21-5-2004 by reverse_swing]
Old May 21, 2004, 02:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

Quote:
Originally posted by reverse_swing
Quote:
Originally posted by chinaman

How do I forget that one handed save? Name Mohsin?
He played for Mohamedan that time.

[Edited on 21-5-2004 by reverse_swing]
I think Mohsin now lives in US... I think he was the second best goalkeeper (after shantoo) BD ever produced
Old May 21, 2004, 01:39 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Optimist
Anybody remembers Warnapura, Tenecum, Kaluperuma? Those were the days before Srilanka gained test status! Warnapura hit so many sixes that Police personel in a near by Barrack though they were under attack!! They used to beat us within two days!! God we have come a long way!!
Sri Lankan batting even in those days was very attractive. Add Dilip Mendis, Roy Dias to that list. Besides, Sri Lanka was bent upon impressing the ICC. Impress they did, but it took a long while. They were far too strong for Bangladesh. Even in the first World Cup they batted gallantly against Lillee and Thompson. They gave India a real hard time. I forgot if they beat India, but India in those days did not know how to play limited over matches. The first World cup matches were 60 overs a side. In one of the matches Gavaskar batted the entire 60 overs and scored 38 not out. That is from my memory, so the statistics may not be exactly right. However, Gavaskar was a terrific test player.
Old May 21, 2004, 01:54 PM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally posted by Cricket46
In one of the matches Gavaskar batted the entire 60 overs and scored 38 not out.
In fact in that match he scored 36* against England.

[Edited on 22-5-2004 by reverse_swing]
Old May 22, 2004, 12:54 AM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
They gave India a real hard time. I forgot if they beat India, but India in those days did not know how to play limited over matches.
They did. By 38 runs in 1979 world cup. Infact, India did not win a match against Sri Lanka in world cups till 1999.
Old May 22, 2004, 01:43 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শা

I was gonna join in but looks like I haveto wait a little bit. I know i am old (not really) but I still need to wait a lil bit to be able to join in this conversations.

By the way, I was into football. Didn't get into cricket until my late teens (what was I thinking?). I was one of those who used to make fun of cricket and look at me now. Now that's irony.

I think the first world cup I (vaguely) remember was 1987. The one Australia won. I was prolly rooting for England but I wanted Pakistan to win it. My heroes were Gavaskar and Imran khan. It was prolly more because of image than anything (even though both were really good players).
Old May 22, 2004, 04:19 AM
BC Editorial Team

Default hold on.. taholey ki..

Instead of calling you gus Zunaid bhai or beamer bhai, should I start calling you uncle? Beamer uncle, Z uncle ... sounds kina funny

Also no Noakhailla's here? shob north bengalis
Old May 22, 2004, 06:36 AM
Banned

Ahem... not all northbengalis. Hint: look for a "left arm spinner that turns the wrong way". Not Noakhali though.:P