facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 25, 2007, 06:20 AM
Cricket Legend

Question Is Dhoni a good captain?

India have won the WC and dhoni may have got a lot of praises. But I think his captaincy is poor. Here are my reasons

1. batting 1st in a 20-20 is not the right way to go, you can see the ratio of matches won in this WC. teams batting 2nd has a clear advantage, because they know what to chase. Its not like a ODI where u set a good target and then the pitch may slightly deteriorate and your bowlers take advantage. In a 20-20, it is such a short span, both teams get nearly identical condition of the pitch. Though it may swing slightly more under lights(??), but the final was played in day time and I couldnt find a reason why he should decide to bat first. My take is ICC should change the rule so that teams bat 10 overs, then field and then bat another 10 overs and then field again.

2. his decision to bring bhaji in 14th over was downright poor. he was assuming bhaji will bowl well like previous games and will keep it tight 14th, 16th, 18th and 20th. he didnt keep any margin of error, misbah is a good player of spin (pakistanis usually are) and will give a desperate shot at the target. if he brought him in earlier 11-12th over he wouldnt have been clobbered. compare this to bowling gul in final overs. first gul is a pacer, second malik kept a margin of error by not committing gul for the exact final overs.

3. his decision of using jogindar is even poorer. jogindar is medium pace and he bowls length, perfect for hitting. in the semi australia needed 22 (rp did the hard work the over before), thus he was lucky because australians needed to hit everything. because of dhoni's mistake with harbajan, he had to bring in jogindar again for the final over. misbah clouted on waist high full toss for 6 and would have surely hit another 6 had he decided to hit straight. thus dhoni, jogindar and India was desperately lucky to win.

what do u think?

Old September 25, 2007, 06:37 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ash,Tamim, Rahim,Sakib

In spite of your analysis, i still feel that Dhoni is a good young captain. yes, he had luck on his side, but he is one of the indian players I have liked for a long time.
Old September 25, 2007, 06:52 AM
BC Editorial Team

A commentator said that the way India played is a reflection of Dhoni's personality.

If you look at the Indian captains of the last 25-30 years, you can the "personality" of the team always mirrored that of the person captaining it - Gavaskar, Kapil Dev, Vengsarkar, Azharuddin, Ganguly, Dravid and now Dhoni (Tendulkar is a possible exception).
Old September 25, 2007, 07:51 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Rasel, Mortaza, Ashraful

He is alright. He gave some confidence to Sreesanth when he was being hammered by Imran Nazir and he has good, smart brain.
Old September 25, 2007, 08:09 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Lara

He is a smart captain. The way he motivated his players...
Old September 25, 2007, 08:42 AM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

T20 is too much of a lottery to judge captancy. May be after the Australia ODI series it will be more clrear to call if he is good or not.
Old September 25, 2007, 09:18 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BangladeshFan
India have won the WC and dhoni may have got a lot of praises. But I think his captaincy is poor. Here are my reasons

1. batting 1st in a 20-20 is not the right way to go, you can see the ratio of matches won in this WC. teams batting 2nd has a clear advantage, because they know what to chase. Its not like a ODI where u set a good target and then the pitch may slightly deteriorate and your bowlers take advantage. In a 20-20, it is such a short span, both teams get nearly identical condition of the pitch. Though it may swing slightly more under lights(??), but the final was played in day time and I couldnt find a reason why he should decide to bat first. My take is ICC should change the rule so that teams bat 10 overs, then field and then bat another 10 overs and then field again.

2. his decision to bring bhaji in 14th over was downright poor. he was assuming bhaji will bowl well like previous games and will keep it tight 14th, 16th, 18th and 20th. he didnt keep any margin of error, misbah is a good player of spin (pakistanis usually are) and will give a desperate shot at the target. if he brought him in earlier 11-12th over he wouldnt have been clobbered. compare this to bowling gul in final overs. first gul is a pacer, second malik kept a margin of error by not committing gul for the exact final overs.

3. his decision of using jogindar is even poorer. jogindar is medium pace and he bowls length, perfect for hitting. in the semi australia needed 22 (rp did the hard work the over before), thus he was lucky because australians needed to hit everything. because of dhoni's mistake with harbajan, he had to bring in jogindar again for the final over. misbah clouted on waist high full toss for 6 and would have surely hit another 6 had he decided to hit straight. thus dhoni, jogindar and India was desperately lucky to win.

what do u think?
1. Well it all depends on what your team strengths are. Inspite of people believing that India has got a poor bowling side, compared to the batting, Dhoni believed otherwise. He felt that the batsmen shouldnt be put under pressure and bowlers will do the job for him. It cannot be fluke 3 times in a row, can it be ?? I think he is a good captain, since he backed up his youngsters and had faith in them.

2. Bhajji had a rare off game, well what can you do if razakk goes for a couple of sixes in his over ? we trust razakk and put our money on him 10/10 times even against Ind/pak/SL who are players of spin, dont we ? Every player has his off day and it was one of his day off. But bhajji was in a great bowling form in the previous games. He was getting his yorkers so right. Infact dhoni did mention abt this in his post match interview that bhajji couldnt get his yorkers right. Swapping his bowlers was the right thing to do and he did well there too.

3. I would say this was dhoni's good thinking, he had RP and SS saved for the final 3 overs and he could bowl them according to the match situation. He brought on RP in the penultimate over and played his cards well. Ofcourse he knew going for boundaries all the balls might not work even with a bowler of jogi's pace. Jogi did take the pace of the ball and took 2 wickets in the final over of aussie. It was brilliant of dhoni to use jogi in the 7/8 over range when the wickets fell and they were looking to consolidate. That pace of confusion in the paki batsmen mind is the right time for jogi to bowl and he did take a wicket then.

Using the available resources well, rotating them well and backing up the young team is what Dhoni has done. He really got the result for it, all said and done , it cannot be a fluke 4 times in a row, can it be ??

Well if all this is desperate luck, i will take this "desperate" luck anyday than "intelligent bad luck".

Congrats Team India and I will always be proud of you.!!

Cheers !
Old September 25, 2007, 09:35 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

He has to be a good captain. Else his house gets ransacked.
Old September 25, 2007, 09:52 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Me

if captaincy is about winning matches and tournaments, surely there could not be a better captain than him in this format of the game. ricky ponting, in the same vein is the best test and 50 over captain.
Old September 25, 2007, 09:52 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BangladeshFan

what do u think?
1. Guess it also depends on who crumbles more and who is not under pressure to crumble. Batsmen have collapsed more often than once and expectations are much higher from them. Bowlers usually manage to get away. So, even though it was against the run of the tournament, think it was a smart decision.

2. I would be inclined to say that Shoaib errored by not keeping Gul for the final overs coz those runs in the last two overs made all the difference. Regarding Harbhajan, he would have been hit in one over no matter what. I would have been surprised if he had bowled 4 overs for 16.

3. Joginder was his best bet at that moment and I think this was smart thinking (if it was thought through i.e). With 22 remaining in 2 overs, if Joginder had bowled the 19th over, he would have been clobbered and with little to play for in the 20th over. Even if they needed 10 in the last over, no matter who bowled it would have been gettable. Now, on the other hand, with RP tightening the screw and 17 remaining for the last over, Dhoni had much more buffer to play with and I cannot dispute the idea.

While he had luck on his side - he also took some well thought out decisions.
Old September 26, 2007, 04:39 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: nadif chowdhury

I think he really is a good captain, although it's way too early to judge him. The best part about him is that he backs himself and his decisions and takes calculated and very well-thought-out risks which have paid dividends for India.

It's one thing to captain a side full of match-winners like Ricky Ponting does. You throw the ball to anyone in your team or shuffle the batting order any way you want, and you know 8 times out of 10, your team will still win.

What Dhoni has on his hands is definitely not a side full of match-winners. They're youngsters, talented but far from proven performers. In this case, Dhoni has been superb and has managed to get the right people in the right jobs (eg Irfan at first change) and pulled off a remarkable win that no one expected of India. So, i would say he's a great captain for now. I just hope for his sake and India's sake, that he maintains his composure and still captains the team equally well under pressure. We'll see after the Australian and Pakistan series, I guess. But selectors should back him up and stick with him even if India loses the 2 series (common, Aus is a bloody tough opponent. It'll be unreasonable to expect wins) because I think Dhoni's the best that India has for the future.
Old September 26, 2007, 05:00 AM
Cricket Guru

Default is dhoni a good captain?

yes people this might seem weird coming from a dhoni hater but i think he's a pretty good captain. Although 20/20 cricket is not the best way to judge someone's captaincy! soo I think its a bit early to judge.
we must wait for a 50 over match to see if he really is a good captain.
[just to get something straight, this does not mean i have all of a sudden started liking dhoni..im still a dhoni hater]
Old September 26, 2007, 05:29 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

T20 cricket presents a totally different set of challenges for a captain, and his/her ability to make high percentage decisions - in terms of both bowling management and field placement - quickly and innovatively while motivating his players to stay focused on the rapidly changing situations on the field. With regards to everything I've mentioned on the subject, I think MS Dhoni is an excellent T20 captain, as are Shoaib Malik, Mahela Jayawardena and our own Mohammad Ashraful. It is their batsmen, aided by some extraordinary bowling from the opposition, whose lackings resulted in defeats, not really the bowling or the fielding they made decisions upon as captains. Luck and uncertainties will continue to be an integral part of all forms of cricket.

Ashraful's decision - it was his decision BTW - to persist with Tamim and not giving Zunaed an early enough chance was the only poor captaincy decision from him IMHO.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old October 2, 2007, 10:19 PM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

'India lucky to have Dhoni' - Greg Chappell
Pti, Jaipur
Source
Greg Chappell is happy with the way the Indian cricket team, with which he had a tumultuous two-year stint, is shaping up and believes the side had unearthed an able leader in Mahendra Singh Dhoni.

The former India coach, who made an unceremonious exit following India's World Cup debacle in the West Indies, was here in his new role as consultant for the Future Cricket Academy of the Rajasthan Cricket Association.

"I had foreseen a great future for Dhoni. He has proved his potential and as a leader he has been most impressive. The Indians are lucky to have a leader like him," he said of Dhoni who lead India to the ICC World Twenty20 Championship triumph in South Africa.

Chappell also took the opportunity to state that as India's coach, he had done his best and it was for others to judge him.

"The Indian team is now doing well. When I was there as the coach, whatever I did stood them in good stead. It is up to others to judge. Indian cricket is lucky that they can choose from," he said.

Chappell was cautious in his remarks and ducked questions on other issues, fearing it may lead to controversy. He also refused to comment on the Indian team currently playing without a permanent coach, a post lying vacant since the Australian left.
Old October 4, 2007, 02:47 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Lasith Malinga.

Definitly A Good Captain.....
Old October 4, 2007, 03:26 AM
Test Cricketer

Dhoni is definitely a good leader. How good an ODI captain he is will be seen in coming years.
Old October 4, 2007, 03:30 AM
Test Cricketer

Dhoni's a good captain. IMO, his tactics seem to be pretty good (and he will learn, he is still new to the job). What I like most about him is the way he approaches the game. In the 2nd ODI against Australia when Sreesanth tried to run out Symonds, Dhoni went up to him and said "that not how you get someone out. You get them out some other way".