facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 14, 2004, 08:40 AM
Cricket Legend

Default Whatmore\'s patience running out

Being the coach of Bangladesh's national cricket side is fraught with difficulties, not least when it comes to speaking to the media.

Dav Whatmore has been applying his skills to the team known as the Tigers for exactly a year.

To begin with, he was content to live with the mantra that he only expected individuals to improve their game whenever Bangladesh started a series.

But now that particular ideal has been discarded.

"We have still managed to win only one game in the past 12 months," Whatmore tells BBC Sport.

"No matter what I say in terms of being positive we've still won only one game."

Born in Sri Lanka, Whatmore emigrated with his family to Australia as a child.

A batsman who was also a fine slip catcher, he scored prolifically in the Sheffield Shield for Victoria, going on to play seven Tests for Australia.

More successful as a coach, Sri Lanka is where Whatmore has been at his happiest, masterminding their famous World Cup win in 1996 and returning for a second spell.

I am proud of coaching the Tigers but we have got to learn to fight like them

Dav Whatmore

And he is back in the nation's capital, Colombo, with his young charges from Bangladesh, who open the six-nation Asia Cup on Friday with a match at the Sinhalese Sports Ground against rank outsiders Hong Kong.

Bangladesh have had more time to acclimatise than most of the leading lights and Whatmore has overseen a successful warm-up period.

"We've been here for more than two weeks and after a bit of local preparations we've done pretty well and are looking forward to the tournament," he says.

"We have had three scheduled warm-up games - missing only one because of rain - and we managed to win both those matches.

Khaled Mahmud and Tapash Baisya lead the Tigers attack

"They have been two strong sides we've beaten, including a lot of ex-internationals."

But the lone success in one-day internationals under Whatmore was a one-day win over Zimbabwe.

They nearly beat West Indies on their tour of the Caribbean, however, and Whatmore is crossing his fingers.

"It's a matter of time before we take that extra step whereby instead of pushing other teams close we actually go all the way and beat them," he says.

Victory over Hong Kong would all but ensure Bangladesh going through to the last four but it would be a real fillip if they could somehow beat Pakistan on Sunday to top their group.

Even if they do not, matches against Sri Lanka, India and a second contest against Pakistan await.

How does a team with limited resources and expectations beat one of those nations? Who are the individuals who need to shine to help pull off a shock?

Whatmore does not like to name names. "I wouldn't single out anyone. We need even contributions from as many as possible.

"My philosophy is that all our players on this tour need to be making contributions of some sort all the time.

"I am proud of coaching the Tigers but we have got to learn to fight like them."

By Oliver Brett (BBC)

Old July 14, 2004, 08:57 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara

After reading thru Dav's comments in this article, it never appears he is running out of patience(with tigers). From where did BBC dig out this "impatience" theory??? This kind of journalism is an utter disgust!
Old July 14, 2004, 09:36 AM
Cricket Legend

True that! He is on drugs.
I think his anti depression medication is not getting along.
Old July 14, 2004, 10:13 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

I think Whatmore is probably displaying some impatience deliberately to get the Tigers going. The tigers are on a pretty steep learning curve and it is easy to be satisfied and content with the progress one inevitably makes along the way. Whatmore is just making sure Tigers will push themselves harder.
Old July 14, 2004, 12:52 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

all of u are right. but, this is also true that tigers has to show some real performance in this tournament to ensure dav's patience and stay optimistic.
Old July 14, 2004, 02:06 PM
ODI Cricketer

Dav has the right to be a little impatient. Here is what Amit Varma of Cricinfo had to say:

Quote:
cricinfo

And what can Bangladesh do? They almost won a Test in the West Indies, but beyond that, there are few signs that Whatmore has made much difference to a notoriously diffident side. But the process of becoming a contender from a minnow is a long one, and Whatmore has been down that road before, with Sri Lanka. Does he have enough talent available to repeat that process with them? Can Bangladesh cause an upset or two in this tournament? Well, maybe they can. But first, they must get past the even minnower talents of Hong Kong.
Its quite clear that outside perception of our ability has not really changed much. The only way to really change this state of affairs to to win matches. There is no shortcut to getting respect.
Old July 14, 2004, 02:37 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Piranha
Dav has the right to be a little impatient. Here is what Amit Varma of Cricinfo had to say:

Quote:
cricinfo

And what can Bangladesh do? They almost won a Test in the West Indies, but beyond that, there are few signs that Whatmore has made much difference to a notoriously diffident side. But the process of becoming a contender from a minnow is a long one, and Whatmore has been down that road before, with Sri Lanka. Does he have enough talent available to repeat that process with them? Can Bangladesh cause an upset or two in this tournament? Well, maybe they can. But first, they must get past the even minnower talents of Hong Kong.
Its quite clear that outside perception of our ability has not really changed much. The only way to really change this state of affairs to to win matches. There is no shortcut to getting respect.

The part is bold has actually been edited!!! Previously it read something like this "But first they have to get past Hong Kong. Sigh!" Mr. Varma probably felt the "sigh" was pushing it. I hate such patronising attitude.

Frankly I am not impressed with the tone of the cricinfo article. Not because it disses Bangladesh. But because it makes Asia Cup come across as a game between the mighty three. The rest of the teams are not important. Wisden-Cricinfo shouldnot act like cheerleaders if they want to be globally respected as objective and quality cricket journalists. For starters they should realise that Asia Cup is intended for teams from Asia, for improvement and propagation of the game in Asia, as the showcase event for cricket in Asia. These kinds of articles (they is hardly any mention of Hong Kong or UAE, and all they do is put the minnows down) will hardly encourage cricket in the newer countries. If W-CI really cared about Asian cricket they have made an effort to run constructive features on UAE cricket, Hong Kong cricket, and not just report every time Ganguli scracthes his posterior or pontificates about quality of Test cricket. Cricket is not just about India, Pakistan, Australia and England! Stop worshipping the mighty! There! I apologise for my rant.

[Edited on 14-7-2004 by pompous]
Old July 14, 2004, 08:26 PM
BC Editorial Team

Default well put pompous bhai - I believe Wisden is to blame

Wisden has always been known for its elitist atitude, an example of which would be Simon Briggs (writing on Telegraph) opining that England had better "desi" cusine than India, and so touring England was way more easy than touring India.

These are the guys who back in the day would have muttered "MCC is going to the dogs" when Ranjitsingh was admitted.

It does not, therefore surprise me that Wis-Cric-Indo is adopting such an elitist tone. Amongst certain Indian reporters and captains, I have seen a tendency to take on the worst traits of their erstwhile colonial masters. Mr. Varma appears to be one of them.

We have a major tournament coming up and do we have any profiles of the minnows? No. I for one would love to find out if any Arabs are in the UAE team or any native HKer is in the HK team and finding out how they got interested in cricket.
Old July 14, 2004, 10:20 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Guys thats not all. Read up in the article and see what else Mr Amit Varma had to say.

But if the rains hold off, the Asia Cup could still serve up some wonderful cricket. Muttiah Muralitharan will be back in the playing arena, India will be looking to recreate the momentum of the last season at the beginning of this challenging one, Pakistan will play for the first time under their new coach, Bob Woolmer, and Bangladesh, coached by Dav Whatmore, will be out to inflict an upset or two. No offence to Bangladesh, but the tournament will certainly be won by one of the other three.

Now sorry but I take offense to that sir! Its just your typical Indian over enthusiasm.

Everyone is talking of Sehwag getting 200 runs against UAE, what a *JOKE* He probably won't even make 50.

There is MORE chance of Bangladesh beating SL/India/Pakistan than there is of Sehwag getting 200 in a ODI. This is just pathetic thinking but immature Indians.
Old July 14, 2004, 11:23 PM
Club Cricketer

Default what is making me sad...

What makes me sad is that Bangladesh has been unable to identify a whole lot of new talents since Whatmore joined... we're still seeing the same old faces... and Mashrafee remains the only bowler who can at least be called a "fast medium" one. We still have Sujon and co. playing. Bangladesh is getting comfy with having "okay" performers rather than trying to play a team with "match winning" performers! Why the hell is that?

At least from my high school experience, I know there were many bowlers who were really interested in damaging the opposition batsmen's jaw, where are these bowlers now? I am sure they are there playing in one school or another, but BCB is not investing in finding talent... they just kaam chalaiya jaitey chai, jotodin choley.
Old July 14, 2004, 11:45 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

There has been heaps of new talent since Whatmore came!

Rajin Saleh came into the scene, so has Manjural Islam Rana and Faisal Hossain. Shahriar Hossain got a re-call too.

Abdul Razzaq is now in the scene.

And fast bowlers? Yes! Shahadat Hossain is said to be consistantly around 140-145km/h. He is touring with Bangladesh U/19 to England where Inshallah he will do very well.
Old July 15, 2004, 05:04 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

well.....we must earn their respect. despite of our awesome performances last season, it seems the international media isn't satisfied with our progress.

i'm just hoping we'll beat india in this tourney and shut everyone up for good. i've had enough already...
Old July 15, 2004, 09:30 AM
ODI Cricketer

Did Whatmore say something else that was omitted from the article???? In my opinion he sounds optimistic, not like a man currently on a short fuse.

HK should be a roll over ..... and then maybe BD can pull off what they missed in the WI against Pakistan ...... at least his crossed fingers suggest a slight optimism to me.

Having said that one win in the last 12 months is a daunting reality to face, but he seems determined to go onward and upwards so kudos to him and the team .....

Goodluck in the Asia Cup Series!!!!!!