facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 30, 2004, 01:07 AM
Street Cricketer

Default Should Murali\'s doosra be allowed?

Hi I want to find out everyone's opinions on this. I started a new thread because this is a poll.

Old April 30, 2004, 01:33 AM
Retired BC Admin

Without much polysyllabic profundity (boy am I learning fast!), I'd say not before a revision of the ICC tolerance level. If the revision process takes more than just few months then all bowlers should be allowed to bowl within the current maximum tolerance level. BTW, the level should be same for all bowlers in my view.
Old April 30, 2004, 07:55 AM
Cricket Legend

If it is established that Mr Murali has a deformity; and he still gets hounded; then I have a question:

What happens if the deformity is crystal clear, i.e he has 9 or 11 fingers and bowls suspiciously. Another one, what if he had a really long thumb that can rotate 300 degrees at will?
Old April 30, 2004, 08:07 AM
BC Editorial Team

The question is not about deformity at all. He can as well have three arms and four legs as long as what he does is within the law.

The complaint is always that he is chucking the delivery and hiding behind the argument that he has a deformity. His elbow is permanently bent. No question about that. But that does not prevent him from partially straightening his arm while delivering the ball (say start with a 30 degree angle between the upper and lower arm and end with 15 degrees, which is the normal bent of his arm).

The argument of anti-Murali people is that he chucks, and that of the pro-Murali ones is that it is an optical illusion. These tests seem to prove that the former group is correct.
Old April 30, 2004, 08:25 AM
Cricket Legend

Cricinfo

Quote:
the laws of cricket could be in line for yet another rewrite.
I hope they decide on something, it's all getting a bit tiresome.

[Edited on 30-4-2004 by oracle]
Old April 30, 2004, 08:32 AM
Cricket Legend

well really,
i am not sure if it should be allowed or not because i havent been able to watch cricket for quite a long time. but as far as i know he was always called and he was always being cleared. so the ultimate result has always been clear. so i dont think there is any point of making a fuss with him. this is just trying to ruin his career.
Old April 30, 2004, 10:02 AM
ODI Cricketer

Default Leaked Murali report tells different story

Cricket365 Report

Leaked Murali report tells different story 30/04/04
Report puts 'doosra' in the clear
The report into Muttiah Muralitharan's controversial action has been leaked to an Indian newspaper, which says his 'doosra' delivery is legal and he should continue to be allowed to bowl it.

Former Western Australian coach Daryl Foster, who authored the report, said that Murali's case posed a number of dilemmas for the International Cricket Council but he should be able to continue to bowl the 'doosra' as long as he doesn't obtain an unfair advantage from his action.

"It would be unrealistic to ban Murali's 'doosra' delivery without the benefit of proper research having been undertaken into normal spin bowlers," said in the report, .....>>

[Edited on 30-4-2004 by abhs]
Old April 30, 2004, 10:57 AM
Test Cricketer

Ban Murali all together and make him BD's bowling coach :P
Old April 30, 2004, 11:01 AM
BC Editorial Team

Doesn't Bangladesh already have a couple of young players who have suspect action ? You aren't satisfied with just two ?

Quote:
but he should be able to continue to bowl the 'doosra' as long as he doesn't obtain an unfair advantage from his action.
(a) Murali cannot ball the doosra without straightening his arm

(b) Murali is not getting any unfair advantage by bending his arm.

How much sense does these two statements together make ? He cannot bowl it without chucking. So isn't allowing him to bowl that way unfair advantage enough ?

The Murali affair has become very much like a cult that there is no point in trying to discuss it logically. There are believers who relegiously believe that his action is fair. There is the atheists who disbelieve in the fairness of action with equal fervent. In between there is a considerable number of
'I don't really care, hope they will settle it somehow' agnostics.

No amount of argument will convert one to another and discussions invariably go in circles. The non-believer has no more proof than (atleast before the doosra) than 'I can see that he chucks' while the believer generally has not much more than 'ICC says so'.

[Edited on 30-4-2004 by Tintin]
Old August 8, 2004, 01:31 PM
First Class Cricketer

If Murali is allowed to rol his eyes soo scarily then he should be to utilise this doosra rule..which is really beginning to sound annoying....:tiger: