facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 11, 2004, 12:14 AM
Test Cricketer

Default Goodbye 50-over cricket?

Why 50-over cricket must go
Andrew Miller
June 10, 2004

The analogy is hardly a new one. If Test matches are five-course meals, then one-day cricket is the equivalent of a Big Mac, fries and an extra-large Coke: fast, filling, addictive and grotesquely fattening. For years, cricket's waistline has been ballooning out of control. All of a sudden, however, there might be an opportunity to bring a balanced diet back into fashion.

During next summer's Ashes series, the England & Wales Cricket Board is thinking about staging the world's first Twenty20 international.

Read the rest here

--

No way! So this dude thinks that ppl who enjoy sitting around for 5 days and appreciate a slow paced game would enjoy something that is over within 4 hours? Leave ODIs alone..

I think they should give up trying to turn cricket into a non-gentleperson's game. Face it guys, the yanks aren't ever gonna like it

Old June 11, 2004, 12:32 AM
amit(a huge BD fan)
Unregistered

Default 20:20 cricket SUCKS

50 over cricket and test cricket r real cricket.

there is no point to make a 4 hour slam-boom-bang vesrion of cricket, to globalise cricket. this is not globalisation or spreading of cricket, it is ness.

i am all for globalising cricket, but then i want test cricket to be globalised, not this 20:20 (...)

with 20:20, u will have batsman who will make 20 ball 40s and bowlers who will go with figures like 10-2-25-0. centuries and 5 wicket hauls in odis, tests will become a thing of the past.

strange that this 20:20 (..) came up in england, a country which never wanted changes in cricket.

[Edited on 11-6-2004 by oracle : moderated by oracle]

[Edited on 11-6-2004 by oracle : reason:language]
Old June 11, 2004, 12:38 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
Originally posted by amit(a huge BD fan)
and bowlers who will go with figures like 10-2-25-0. centuries and 5 wicket hauls in odis, tests will become a thing of the past.
In 20 over game, bowler will get 4 overs to bowl, not 10.

[Edited on 11-6-2004 by nasif]
Old June 11, 2004, 12:42 AM
Cricket Legend

There is also something called 6 a side cricket. Usually played in Singapore, Hongkong and UAE. Just get used to the idea that more and more changes are creeping into cricket. 20\20 is not as bad as other ideas.
Old June 11, 2004, 12:52 AM
amit(a huge BD fan)
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by nasif
Quote:
Originally posted by amit(a huge BD fan)
and bowlers who will go with figures like 10-2-25-0. centuries and 5 wicket hauls in odis, tests will become a thing of the past.
[Edited on 11-6-2004 by nasif]
nasif, i said 10-2-25-0 figures in odis,not 20:20 matches.
In 20 over game, bowler will get 4 overs to bowl, not 10.

[Edited on 11-6-2004 by amit(a huge BD fan) : bringing message out of "quote"]
Old June 11, 2004, 12:55 AM
Club Cricketer

I understand your grievances, but I guess the English & Wales criket board is trying to commercialize cricket to non-cricket playing nations. The 50 over ODI and 5 day test is good for us cricket lovers, but wont sell to the yankees or the rest of the world for that matter. They dont have the time or the passion to sit around the whole day to watch a cricket match. Thats why basketball, baseball, ice-hockey and NFL with their fast-paced and shorter version matches enthrall the yankees so much. You will never see a superbowl kind of excitement in USA if the yankees ever started playing cricket. It would never work. Yes, I have read somewhere that afro-american kids have started playing cricket in the US, but cricket in US would never reach the kind of passion it generates in the sub-continent and in other cricket playing nations. Hell....in Australia, rugby league draws more crowd for a "State of Origin" match between NSW and Queensland than an ODI. Its a different matter if its an ODI between Australia and India or Australia and Pakistan, becoz then you can expect more than half the crowd of having asian origin. Think how its gonna be in the land of yankees who dont understand and dont try to understand how this game is played! I believe that is why the English & Wales criket board is trying to sell this game to a bigger audience by introducing such a 20-over game tournament. But for cricket purists, this would definitely be a major headache...BIG TIME!
Old June 11, 2004, 02:10 AM
Test Cricketer

Aussiebloke,

1. Cricket was never meant to be a fast paced game. By trying to turn it into a sport like baseball, basketball etc you'd need to change many aspects of the game that make it so enjoyable to watch. Btw, how on earth is a bowler supposed to do any damage in just 4 overs? It takes one or two overs for the bowler to just get into the swing of things (excuse the pun).

2. Why is there a need to get yanks interested in cricket? Why must the whole world change to accomodate these ADT suffering freakoids? If they don't like the current form of cricket, well that's all well and good because most of the world doesn't like superbowl either.

3. I have no issues with trying out new things to go wtih the change of times blah blah blah. People had the same reaction when ODIs were first introduced. But these peeps, well Andrew Miller, is saying that 50 over matches should be removed all together! That's basically showing the finger to all the loyal cricket fans who genuinely enjoy watching Test cricket AND ODIs and saying 'we don't give a toss about you, we just want American halfwits watching the game'.

4. Sure have your twenty20 games.. but DONT make Test players play it. Get a totally different set of players, who train specifically for these types of matches. Just leave the real cricket players to play real cricket
Old June 11, 2004, 08:28 AM
amit(a huge BD fan)
Unregistered

20:20 is not cricket, it is ness. 20:20 wont produce any batsman or bowlers of international class.

i am all for globalising cricket, but it is test cricket which should be globalised. cricket shouldnt be globalised to usa where ppl wont have 5 day time to follow a cricket "test" match between say, usa and england.

cricket should be globalised to countries which want to play 5 day test cricket and have a decent player base of 100 players atleast and a decent fan base of more than 100000 atleast.
Old June 15, 2004, 07:52 PM
Club Cricketer

First, no body said that ODI or Test would be changed becoz of 20:20 matches. They would have their own rules and regulations different from ODI and Test.

Second, we need the yanks becoz that is the market everyone tries to grab. I am a communications engineer, so I would state from that aspect. U r all familar with the wireless laptop (WLAN). Europe started working on it. But the Yanks would have nothing to do with it. It surged in popularity when the yanks took interest in it and started mass producing them. Its just an example. Economy, technology etc. - US is the main market. Regarding sports, what I am saying is that 20:20 is something that the yanks and the rest of non-cricket playing nations could relate to - fast paced exciting game. When 3rd umpire was introduced and more and more responsibility were handed down to the 3rd umpire, former umpire Dicky Bird vehemently objected to having the video umpire. But it seems that 3rd umpire is here stay!

Third, if by some magic 20:20 does catch the eye of the bigger audience like US and europe, and if it is lucrative for players, then you would see test players after retiring (they are no longer picked for the national ODI or test squad) joining the 20:20 game. To them its about feeding their family. So if that means joining a new game that is becoming popular and getting big sponsors from the US giants, then why the HELL not! I would think its more about earning a living (after their retirement) then trying to remain a purist test or ODI player.

Leave test cricket to test players - I agree. But it would be interesting to see if 20:20 does become popular and lucrative, and whether test and ODI players join this game. We might see in a couple of years the 20:20 matches (side by side with ODI and Test) played by former test and ODI players. I may be talking about radical changes to the game (not ODI or Test), but wasnt that what started ODI and the 3rd umpire in the first place?
Old June 15, 2004, 09:40 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
First, no body said that ODI or Test would be changed becoz of 20:20 matches. They would have their own rules and regulations different from ODI and Test.
If you read Miller's article you'd know he suggested ditching 50 over cricket all together in favour of this 20twenty rubbish. My main issue against 20twenty was it being a replacement for 50 over ODIs.
Quote:
Leave test cricket to test players - I agree. But it would be interesting to see if 20:20 does become popular and lucrative, and whether test and ODI players join this game. We might see in a couple of years the 20:20 matches (side by side with ODI and Test) played by former test and ODI players. I may be talking about radical changes to the game (not ODI or Test), but wasnt that what started ODI and the 3rd umpire in the first place?
You paint a rather morbid picture for Test/ODI cricket fans. If 20:20 cricket does become very popular in the USA, then you are right, Test cricket will no longer be an attractive option for players from the ONSET of their careers (not just after retirement). This means we'll be seeing less talented cricketers playing Test! If you really are a cricket fan as you say you are, I find it astounding how you can support and look forward to such an eventuation!

Cricket as it stands today, is not dying or massively loosing popularity. This whole idea of introducing cricket to a population whose average attention span is akin to that of a goldfish is nothing more than a manifestation of corporate greed. And if they (ICC) seriously think 20:20 is going to make Americans interested in Test cricket then they are obviously smoking something they shouldn't be. Americans enjoy quick fixes.. the 'wham bam thank you mam' kind of entertainment. That is their culture. There is no way people like that will ever appreciate a slow paced game that usually takes 5 days to complete!

Anyhow, I'm just gonna sit tight and hope their stupid plan backfires when/if Americans don't like it
Old June 16, 2004, 07:34 PM
Club Cricketer

Never said I was looking forward to it. Rather said that this is a very likely scenario. Also sorry to hear that we are not even open to discussions (lol), challenging others and questioning their pedigree of being a cricket fan! Hoping for better times!
Old June 17, 2004, 04:24 PM
Banned

My 2 cents: if Test Cricket is to survive as a sports in to the next century, it must be trimmed to limited overs and days. It would also have to produce result, not draws. It is inevitable.
Old June 23, 2004, 12:26 PM
Test Cricketer

First tweent20 Men’s International match will be held on June 13, 2005 between Eng and Aus, before the Nat west series.

SA and NZ are also in front line to formalizing this Cricket in burger form.

Burger
Old June 23, 2004, 10:35 PM
First Class Cricketer

bye! bye!
Old July 8, 2004, 01:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Billah,

There is another sport where some of the time it is real obvious who won and who lost, but most of the time it's a draw.

Boxing ... when it isnt a knockout, they go to the card, and see how the judges scored it round by round.

Of course, you get bad judges decisions, but, hey, it's a result.

Now, a boxing-type scoring system would have the appalling result of a side thats been beaten on day 1-4 having absolutely no point at trying to bat out a draw on day 5 - they still lose. So you get a boring last day, as everyone knows what the result is going to be.

Much like a ODI when a side goes 4-40 when chasing 270, really.

Test cricket is healthier now than it has been for a long time - because Australia play to win in four days, and that 'bright cricket' style has rubbed off on everyone else.

As long as Test cricket delivers good entertainment, it'll survive. It's when teams play for draws from day 1 that Test cricket gets into trouble.

And if you bring in a system of judged results, dont be surprised when teams get a solid lead, and then play negatively.

Just like a boxer with a solid lead on points fights the last three rounds to not lose, rather than to win.

So be careful what you ask for. You might get it.
Old July 8, 2004, 04:34 PM
Club Cricketer

woteevr game it is 20/20 or 30/30,
it is guaranteed that bd will suck..
Old August 8, 2004, 01:23 PM
First Class Cricketer

I think we should stick with the traditional 50 Over games..that has made some really close and exciting games in the past..so far my favourite match is still the South Africa v Australia semi-final match..last ball of the alloted overs and then all out...now you cannot gurantee anything like that in a shorter version of the game..can you???
Old August 8, 2004, 01:56 PM
First Class Cricketer

In 20 over match will play 12 player .Bowl side can out in one time two batsman in 20 over match
Old August 9, 2004, 12:26 AM
amit(a huge BD fan)
Unregistered

the 50 overs one-day international is good.

this 20/20 came up when eng could not attract crowds to its county games. another reason was to spread cricket in usa.

globalising cricket is good, but it is the longer version of cricket, which is test cricket needs to be globalised. all non-test teams should be encouraged to have a 3-day tournament included in their domestic setup. globalising the longer version of cricket would help the non-test teams produce batsman and bowlers of intl level. 20/20 will never help in the development of cricket. many non-test teams even fail to survive their full 50 overs and make 200+ scores in odis. globalising the longer version of cricket would help them survive full 50 overs and make 250+ scores. 20/20 wont.

its time icc ended this 20/20 ness. i do hope that 20/20 never comes to the sub-continent.