facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old October 3, 2004, 11:22 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer
Default 1 Question: Can weakness in our batsman\'s techniques be found without bowling machines?

I used to think that the biggest problem that our batsman have, is against fast bowling. We have continuous opening problems because our opening batsman cannot survive for at least 10 overs in a 50 over match. In fact, our main batsman, who play in the top 5 batting positions, get out in the first 10 overs.

Bangladesher Khela reported that Owen Mataw said that our players don't have any weakness in their techniques. In another bengali newspaper report from yesterday (probably Prothom Alo) I read that the fast bowling machine that our national cricketers use to practice, is out of order. The report at Bangladesher Khela said that the problem of our batsman is mental.

I am not trying to question Mataw's ability as a coach, in fact, I believe that if it was not for him, we would not be able to draw the test match in WI as we had done.

So, where's the catch? Is there something that I don't know?

Old October 3, 2004, 03:38 PM
Cricket Legend

In general, as per my observation, our players can play better against fast bowling and most of the runs come against the fast balls. But they have few weakness against them.
First, some of our batsmen cannot play comfortably against inswingers and get trapped before wicket.
Second, many of our batsmen get tempted to slog the balls outside off-stump and ultimately return immediately to the dressing room if the slips (in rare cases) do not miss them.
Third, some of them cannot judge the line, flight and speed of the ball, which defeats the batsman totally, but can survive if luck favours.
Fourth, mostly all the batsmen with a few exceptions has the problem of footwork against fast balls. They don't go on front foot with drives on full face of the bat rather wait till the last moment inconfidently and just edge the ball hoping the slips will miss it.

Edited on, October 4, 2004, 3:41 AM GMT, by Sam.
Old October 3, 2004, 04:00 PM
Cricket Legend

fwullah,
here is some answer to your question from Mattau: "They have had two bad one-day tournaments but they batted very well in the West Indies. And there is no doubt that they are improving," said Mottau.

When asked whether he found any glaring technical deficiencies in the Bangladeshi batsmen, Mottau said he looked at technique in a different way.

"Of course they have technical faults but it is not only a problem with Bangladeshi players only. Even Brian Lara has some technical weaknesses. We can't change it overnight. It will take some time but they are getting better. I have confidence in them. You have to keep faith in the technique they have at the moment.

'I think the real problem is that they play too many shots too early and that is an area we have to work on."

Full report: http://thedailystar.net/2004/10/04/d41004040128.htm
Old October 3, 2004, 07:39 PM
Cricket Legend

A working bowling machine would help also i think. If you speed it up to constant 145 km/h deliverys with inswing the batsmen will learn to combat them. Then they will take this out onto the oval and get rid of their inswinging flaws.