facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

View Poll Results: Was Ashraful's knock Sufficient or Deficient???
Ash played well, no criticism though he could definitely have scored some more 67 69.07%
Ash played well, but he should have delivered MUCH more 15 15.46%
Ash played bad, he should have scored all 275 11 11.34%
other (please specify) 4 4.12%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 29, 2009, 06:16 AM
Street Cricketer

BDFlag Good batting....bad thinking.

I completely understand why Mr. Ice Man (Shakib) lost a bit of his steam over Ash's dismissal. There is no denying that Ash played an innings we all expected from him but the manner and the time he got out showed lack of judgement....something we all are familiar with. Yes, Ash scored a fifty which greatly helped, yes, that Bangladesh won and we should celebrate instead of brag about things which could have gone wrong. But thats not the point. Before Ash got out, we were cruising..so, was that shot of Lewis really necessary? Couldn't he just wait for few more overs when Sakib would have taken the Powerplay?
When Ash went back to the dressing room, I thought that we might loose the match? Why give the 140 million people heart attack? Why... Ash... why?
But anyways, Shabash Bangladesh ........from now on..'Full Steam Ahead'.

Old July 29, 2009, 06:26 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

সিডন্সের পাশে যে আশরাফুলকে বসিয়ে রাখা হলো, এইটা কি ঐ ভাবে আউট হবার কারনে?
Old July 29, 2009, 06:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

ash is a ghada he gives his wicket away like always
Old July 29, 2009, 06:39 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashfaqur
When Ash went back to the dressing room, I thought that we might loose the match? Why give the 140 million people heart attack? Why... Ash... why?
But anyways, Shabash Bangladesh ........from now on..'Full Steam Ahead'.
We had that feeling with every wicket falling from Tamim to Shakib. When Razzaq was in the crease, he could be out in one ball and the rest 2 are also one ball type, we could have lost.

Why Ash's out gives you more heartache? Is it because you expect he is the man to bring you to victory in every match? Reduce your expectations and just think of him as another player of BD team, you won't have much special aches with him. It's basically your problem, not his (Ash).

Almost Every out of every batsman of this world can be translated into "Oibhabe out" or "Why he had to do that" etc. in ODIs very few are out by a miraculous delivery. Chil man, Ash played well and that's it. He is just a human being and just another player.
Old July 29, 2009, 08:25 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don
Unhappy So much promise...but unfulfilled!

I felt that yesterday's innings was a microcosm of Ashraful's career. He made an amazing display of his raw talents, and then he showed his immaturity by getting out with a most inadvisable shot.

Until he was out, it did not look like any bowler in the world could get him yesterday. He is one of the most talented shotmakers in the world, and definitely head and shoulder above anyone else on the Bangladesh team. He sees the ball early and can hit the ball later than most batsmen. I really feel that based on raw-talent only, he belongs to Twendulkar's class. However, he lacks two things that are required for greatness: discipline and stamina.

Shakib also was out playing an even more egregious shot, but few are jumping on him because this is not an everyday thing for Shakib. In contrast, for Ashraful, this happens more often than not. It pains me to give up on Ashraful like this. After I saw that masterful century against Australia, I was convinced that we have found our Tendulkar. Although he infuriated me time and again with his inadvisable shots, I kept hoping that it was only a matter of experience. Well, the man has over a hundred ODI's and fifty tests under his belt. If he has not learnt by now, it is unlikely that he ever will. I would love for him to prove me wrong, though.
Old July 29, 2009, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
stands shoulder to shoulder with Monalisa...if that's the notion of being poor, I'm sure Asif and Shahriyar would like to be poor as well.
Nah.

Lucy Liu maybe...
Old July 29, 2009, 09:00 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

No criticism after throwing his wicket away? Why??? He has denied himself 2 easy ODI 100s, especially in the second match.

I like the new Mo, before the old Ash decides to restore infamy. That said, steady 50s are better than s, 5s, 15s, and those rare 25s. Looking forward to 6 more in the next 6 matches ...
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old July 29, 2009, 09:06 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

he scored back to back fifties. he got injured in first match and got runout but in second match, he should have seen the team home.
Old July 29, 2009, 09:09 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
I like the new Mo, before the old Ash decides to restore infamy. That said, steady 50s are better than s, 5s, 15s, and those rare 25s. Looking forward to 6 more in the next 6 matches ...
I'ld take five 50s in 10 matches, with the rest of them as double-figures...possibly averaging 35+ in the 10 matches.

Who wouldn't want a century? Go ask Ashraful, even he wanted it badly. I find it surprising - he got out playing the same shot that he got his fifty with (with that 6). When it went all the way, there was no complaint. Everyone celebrated. When he got out, everyone suddenly hates him again.

I understand that there was no pressure. And that's why he didn't slog. If he was slogging, I would blame him way more than if he got out playing a normal lofted shot. It would've been a terrific shot if he could connect it right - a 6 in that area where he was trying to send the ball is something that MANY batsmen just dream of hitting. The placement wasn't just right. The delivery was absolute rubbish, and the shot didn't time well. That's all it was.
Old July 29, 2009, 09:26 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

What scares me about Mo is his performance during stable and secure times. It is more than likely that he'll do well in this mode until nobody asks questions about his place in the ODI squad. What happens after that is far more interesting to ponder. That said, lets cross that perhaps familiar bridge once we get there ...

Maybe he needs trauma to function better, maybe he's a slow learner, who knows?

About his 50s: the one in match 2 was far better in quality than the one in match 1. But I'd rather have him brainfart after he gets a 100, especially when he seems destined to get it. A simple matter of tweaking prioritized numbers in that mind of his. Once he does, it will benefit him and his team immeasurably. He is no longer the captain and there are other players in the team who can win matches now. So is this not the perfect time for him to make that mental adjustment when he's in the middle?

Batting in tests, on the other hand, is far more difficult especially when quality bowlers are bowling to a field without any fielding restrictions. He needs to perform his way back to that side like others.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; July 29, 2009 at 11:29 AM..
Old July 29, 2009, 09:42 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mash, Alok, Ash, Sakib

ASh played sensibly.. it was sufficient but he could have stayed until the end.. but 2 50's in a row for Ash is very rare, so im happy to see him play sensibly.. and when ASh plays good, BD usually wins..
Old July 29, 2009, 10:10 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: TIK47

Quote:
Batting in tests, on the other hand, is far more difficult especially when quality bowlers are bowling to a field without any fielding restrictions. He needs to perform his back to that side like others.
SPOT ON

He has the skill and has displayed patience in the past to succeed in tests, he just needs to collect himself mentally.
if given a chance in the next test match he needs to put in a gutsy performance to build his confidence at that level.
Old July 29, 2009, 10:23 AM

Ash could have played that shot on ground, for a couple of runs, or for a boundary. Instead he played a lofted shot in a wrong time, BD were 80+ runs behind the target with good run rate, and lots of overs to be played.

He could played that shot more later [such as need 30-40 more runs etc.], or taking after batting power play, Like Sakib & Mushi did in this match, and Sakib & Riyad did in 1st ODI. That is the reason many here blame his intelligence, judgement.

He is the most senior player in the team, so he should know by now all these assassement. And most importantly he should know he has the technical skill, all he needs more thinking. May be this 'thinking' is too much to ask for him, lets see how he change in his 'thinking' while batting with Sakib and his guide.
Old July 29, 2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
No criticism after throwing his wicket away? Why??? He has denied himself 2 easy ODI 100s, especially in the second match.
Having just finished watching the highlights, I will criticise him for that dolly of a catch he gave to long off to get himself out! It just shows he's still highly susceptible to his lapses, and it'll take a lot more mettle to become a consistent quality player.

That being said, his innings was sufficient. I like the cuts he kept playing.... it was bad bowling, and fielding wasnt exactly the best from WI. Secondly, he was being patient, and it does seem to have worked to change his style away from his "natural game" against this WI side.

But a true test of his form will come against a Team that has quality bowling and fielding of the Top 8 teams right now.
Old July 29, 2009, 04:31 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

perhaps it was a brain fart, that shot...but maybe fatigue settled in as well.

we all know our boys are not the fittest in the world. taking a look at ash's two innings:

57 runs (5 boundaries) = 37 runs from singles (and twos and threes)
64 runs (4 boundaries) = 46 runs from singles

doing the math, he scored nearly 70% of his runs from RBW, which can get tiring, especially after spending all day the field (match 2). perhaps, plus RRR was over 6, last few overs had seen very few boundaries, he was looking to score without having to run all over the place. remember no time outs in cricket.

of course he should have gotten a 100, and i really hope he gets one on friday and/or against ZIM. but i guess this means that 100 at international level, even against minnows, is a pretty big achievement. especially if you're not sehwag who scores most of his runs from boundaries.

#OneTeam1Dream