facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 5, 2009, 07:19 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
it doesn't have to be a full length domestic season, if he can fix it in a couple of matches then he can come straight back to the national team.
Mate, I don't think batting techniques are like software bugs that can be fixed in couple of tries. Also, if you send him back to our low standard domestic leagues and he ends up scoring few good innings - that will hardly mean his techniques are fixed.

Once again, I don't see why people are whining so much about him. Like his teammates, he chips in a decent innings every now and then, despite his struggle. If there was a better prospect pushing for inclusion in the team, I would not mind seen him being dropped, but there is no such prospect. Raqibul shined much brighter before he was brought in the national team than Shamsur or anyone else is shining right now.

Last edited by Eshen; August 5, 2009 at 07:26 PM..

Old August 5, 2009, 07:30 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

confidence can do wonderful things even for a palyers technique, a couple of good domestic innings could easily get him back to where he was before the injury. as for chipping in, sure he is but i'm not talking about cutting him loose and banishing him forever, he just needs some runs and some confidence under his belt and i'm sure he'll be back fighting fit. it's better to be safe than sorry, i'd rather not run another great talent into the ground by playing him in international cricket assuming things will just get better when he could easily benefit from a short domestic stint. he doesn't even necessarily need to be dropped from the team, the domestic season is coming up, maybe he'll be able to get a few matches in there.
Old August 5, 2009, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
Once again, I don't see why people are whining so much about him.
Yeah, it's like bullying the new kid on the block because he hasn't made any friends yet.

If we have to pick on someone, there are plenty of idiots in the team who have been around for a while and still suck.
Old August 5, 2009, 08:59 PM
Cricket Guru

If anyone needs to be sent away from the national team, it should be Zunaed. He has a serious case of front foot bias, much worse than Raqib . Raqib at least on occassion can play on backfoot, but not Zunaed. Zunaed needs to spend 3/4 weeks with Bashar and SN to learn how to play on backfoot.
Old August 6, 2009, 03:34 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
How about trying out Aftab as an opener? As inconsistent he is, his ODI average is still as good as that of Tamim, and better than those other top order batsmen. Barring Ashraful, he also has superior reflex and greater number of shots against pacers.
In light of their numbers in one of recent threads (HERE), I think we ought to value reliability more than potential. Hence no Aftab or Alok for me anymore. Won't be surprised in Mo joins them in my dog house to complete the AAA battery soon, now a discarded one.

Time to move forward.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old August 6, 2009, 03:41 PM
BC Editorial Team

Sohel, we are still not so talent rich that we can throw away the AAA. The recent 20/20 and ODIs show that we lack explosiveness in our middle order. I hope 2 out of 3 here still can come good.
Old August 6, 2009, 05:13 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Why drop Raqibul? He still has one of the best averages on the team and honestly even though he didn't do that great on the tour, he was one of the reasons why we won the 2nd test..also he has never played in WI before..he's still a very young player and still learning how to play on bouncy pitches..he also rarely does horrible..remember he also played a role having a 52 run partnership with Ash in the 2nd ODI..I understand your what you are trying to say Gowza..but domestic cricket in BD isn't the best place to fine tune..I am very confident that he will get back to form against Zimbabwe..last time we played them he scored a 28, 52* and a 14..doesn't sound like amazing scores but remember he played better than most of the batsmen..Zimbabwe pitches seem more like BD pitches so again Raqibul will most probably come back and play very well this tour
Old August 6, 2009, 06:10 PM
Cricket Guru

From another thread -

Quote:
With statsguru, I find it easier to filter stats from a specific period. So, I have filtered ODI stats from post WC'07 period, from 01 May 2007 to 30 Apr 2009, excluding stats against Zimbabwe, Ireland and our recent matches against a severely weak WI team.

Here is my finding -

Batsman (# of ODIs) - Avg
Raqib (15) - 26.78
Tamim (32) - 26
Sakib (26) - 25.12
Alok (9) - 22.77
Ashraful (32) - 22.46
Aftab (13) - 20
Zunaed (15) - 15.33
Mushfiq (21) - 12.73
SN (10) - 12.70
Based on above stat, my ideal ODI team will be -

Tamim
Aftab
Ashraful
Raqib
Sakib
Alok
Naeem
Dhiman
Mashrafe
Razzak
Rubel/Rasel

*Mahmudullah has not been economical in ODIs against G7. He also struggles to accelerate when situation demands, which is a requirment for a #7 batsman. Naeem is a better choice there. I would keep Riyad as the 12th man.

** Mushfiq is not worth much as an ODI batsman, and a poor keeper for all formats. So, I would take my chance with Dhiman.
Old August 6, 2009, 06:35 PM
Cricket Guru

Shahriar Nafees - I also think he will do well as a middle order batsman. But it's up to Nafees to decide whether he wants to move down the batting order and push his case forward for a middle order slot in the national team. If he wants to keep playing as an opener, I don't see any reason to select him again for the national team (unless he has dramatically improved his defense in last one year).
Old August 6, 2009, 08:45 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imteaz
Refreshed...........
Conjured...
Old August 6, 2009, 08:49 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

From Gowza's extra ordinary analysis the vital thing that came out is now we have options to choose between. That's a great news as BD as a team starts to curb away the dependency on one particular player or a group of players.
Old August 7, 2009, 05:48 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
Sohel, we are still not so talent rich that we can throw away the AAA. The recent 20/20 and ODIs show that we lack explosiveness in our middle order. I hope 2 out of 3 here still can come good.
Very true about that kind of talent. An issue amplified by the fact that we have bigger applications problems. We all want all three to come good as they're still young. But I wouldn't bet on 2 out of 3 at this point. Not even 1 out of 3 really. That said, it would be GREAT to eat that particular humble pie ...

My attitude right now: anything from them is a bonus because I cannot rely on them anymore. Neither can our cricket in light of their success to failure ratio.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; August 7, 2009 at 06:09 AM..
Old August 8, 2009, 04:49 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
If anyone needs to be sent away from the national team, it should be Zunaed. He has a serious case of front foot bias, much worse than Raqib . Raqib at least on occassion can play on backfoot, but not Zunaed. Zunaed needs to spend 3/4 weeks with Bashar and SN to learn how to play on backfoot.
I do not care whether Big Z or Rock play backfoot, front foot or side foot as long as they score run. Big Z is scoring run, rock is not. As ATMR often says Technique is over rated that is why Gayle, Sehwag (Two), Jayasuria have triple centuries while Dravid, Tendy, Martin has none
Old August 8, 2009, 04:57 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

and to make it clear i said if raqib doesn't score in this zim series maybe he should have a few domestic games, he still has 5 ODIs to play and he's already got a half century in the tour match. as for junaid i agree he has a lot of work to do, though he has been scoring test runs since batting at #3.
Old August 8, 2009, 06:37 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody
I do not care whether Big Z or Rock play backfoot, front foot or side foot as long as they score run. Big Z is scoring run, rock is not. As ATMR often says Technique is over rated that is why Gayle, Sehwag (Two), Jayasuria have triple centuries while Dravid, Tendy, Martin has none
I guess you have not noticed my earlier post, so I am reposting -

Quote:
I have filtered ODI stats from post WC'07 period, from 01 May 2007 to 30 Apr 2009, excluding stats against Zimbabwe, Ireland and our recent matches against a severely weak WI team.

Here is my finding -

Batsman (# of ODIs) - Avg
Raqib (15) - 26.78
Tamim (32) - 26
Sakib (26) - 25.12
Alok (9) - 22.77
Ashraful (32) - 22.46
Aftab (13) - 20
Zunaed (15) - 15.33
Mushfiq (21) - 12.73
SN (10) - 12.70
It does not look like Raqib is suffering as much because of his front foot bias as Zunaed.

I agree with you, a player should be in the team as long he can score runs, despite his techniques. But that's not the case with big Z.
Old August 8, 2009, 07:50 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

rokibul hasan will become one of the stars of Bangladesh cricket as one of its most consistent batsmen...imo he is captaincy material down the road. He is one of those whom I would back to come good soon despite his patchy form since his injury.