facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 14, 2009, 08:37 AM
Cricket Legend

Thumbs down batting second on a batting pitch

i think today's match was a collection of mistakes from bangladesh think tank. why will a captain (or was it the coach) want to chase seeing such a batting wicket, after all Bd won the last match posting 320 on the board? were they scared after seeing zim score 270 chasing in last match? thats still 50 runs adrift and one should play to his own team's strength not the opposition's strength.

besides why drop a opener for a middle order bat who can bowl left arm spin? if off spinners are getting whacked, why not drop one of them (naeem and riyad) and play mehrab? after a long time we seemed to having a good brisk opening partnerships, only it to be broken by a stupid management decision and a top order collapse. clearly naeem is not an opener, he is atbest a late middle order.

this zimbo team is a good one, and we let them off the hook now. when an opponent is down , we should try our best to keep them down, not to change our winning combination. anyway whats gone is gone, we should hopefully rectify these mistakes next match, a 4-1 is still not too bad.

Old August 14, 2009, 08:45 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

This madness of Bashar era must stop. If we can't have slightest amount of faith in our batsmen to set a good target after posting 320 in the previous match, we are hopeless.
Old August 14, 2009, 10:01 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

Worst decision ever.
Old August 14, 2009, 11:02 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

The thing is if we can learn from this or not. I doubt we will.
Old August 14, 2009, 11:17 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire_x86
This madness of Bashar era must stop. If we can't have slightest amount of faith in our batsmen to set a good target after posting 320 in the previous match, we are hopeless.
Made no sense to me whatsoever. The pressure of chasing is always more than batting first. In these tracks, and not to mention the recent solidity of our top order batsmen as a collection, makes this decision even more confusing. God knows what they were thinking. But, it was a wrong decision to begin with. Indeed it is a negative practice of Bashar era madness reincarnated.
Old August 14, 2009, 01:07 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: TIK47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
The thing is if we can learn from this or not. I doubt we will.
i am curious as to who makes these decisions. i always thought that the captain did but its very peculiar with our team. the decision was made for us when we made 320 the game before and i am totally shocked by the decision.

Why is it that we defy the norm on so many occasions??
Old August 14, 2009, 01:23 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones

I totally feel like saying that BCB was bribed by Grameen Phone to keep this series alive.....cannot find any justification of toying with the batting order, team selection and batting 2nd on a belter of a pitch.
Old August 14, 2009, 02:11 PM
First Class Cricketer

I am not saying this is a case of match fixing but can we drop that (110%) as a reason ?
Old August 14, 2009, 02:24 PM
ODI Cricketer

Yeah bad decision. But think of it this way, if we lost the toss we probably would have batted second anyway. So this was a good lesson for the future games in batting paradises. Win or loose the toss, the team should always go for the win. We can't depend fully on winning the toss all the time to win a match.

However I am still worried that our batsmen still can't chase a score over 300, which implies we depend too much on a good bowling performance to win. But sometimes shi* happens and opponents put up a good score, after which we are screwed (like today).
Old August 14, 2009, 02:43 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

bd will win 3-2 this is already fixed
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old August 15, 2009, 03:25 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

BD should never chase on a batting pitch - it is clear that BD always implode when they have a high run rate to chase as they want to score 50 runs an over from the beginning
Old August 15, 2009, 06:09 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

It was not a wrong decision. In such pitches, you can never put up a safe target. BD just wanted to seal the series by winning the third game. But they again have proven how bad they are in chasing. Although they have some good record of chasing against better teams.
Old August 15, 2009, 06:35 AM
Cricket Legend

We had made 320 in the previous match! Its common sense...Its always good to put a score on the board and pile up the pressure on the opposition...The team chasing 300+ is under pressure from ball 1!!!!
Old August 15, 2009, 11:48 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Lara & Ashraful

Quote:
Originally Posted by BangladeshFan
i think today's match was a collection of mistakes from bangladesh think tank. why will a captain (or was it the coach) want to chase seeing such a batting wicket, after all Bd won the last match posting 320 on the board? were they scared after seeing zim score 270 chasing in last match? thats still 50 runs adrift and one should play to his own team's strength not the opposition's strength.

besides why drop a opener for a middle order bat who can bowl left arm spin? if off spinners are getting whacked, why not drop one of them (naeem and riyad) and play mehrab? after a long time we seemed to having a good brisk opening partnerships, only it to be broken by a stupid management decision and a top order collapse. clearly naeem is not an opener, he is atbest a late middle order.

this zimbo team is a good one, and we let them off the hook now. when an opponent is down , we should try our best to keep them down, not to change our winning combination. anyway whats gone is gone, we should hopefully rectify these mistakes next match, a 4-1 is still not too bad.
There were list of things went wrong with 3rd ODI, batting second was not one of them. I wish to remind you Ban won 1st ODI by batting second. Positive of 1st ODI was effective bowling and comprehensive win, which they wanted to repeat. There is nothing wrong with that approach. 324 was a challenging total. Ban has a good batting depth. They failed to step up to the challenge, mainly due to failure of the top order. They failed because 1st ball duck of Tamim and cheaply out of Naeem & Ash followed, which put tremendous pressure on Shakib to perform from the beginning. Only if they were playing normal without thinking of winning from the firstball, they would have won this match comfortably. There is no reason to be ballistic from the begining. Those players most time under achieved in their carrer.
Old August 15, 2009, 12:54 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
It was not a wrong decision. In such pitches, you can never put up a safe target. BD just wanted to seal the series by winning the third game. But they again have proven how bad they are in chasing. Although they have some good record of chasing against better teams.
Didn't we do that in the second ODI? Zim faced the pressure and crumbled. Most lesser performed teams do chasing 320. I am absolute sure that the BD management thought they wouldn't be able to reach 320 again or why else?

It was a wrong decision. We have to admit it and move on. Problem will be if our management don't admit their faults and linger this issue. This is not the first time they did that. That scares me. You can not give the advantage to your opposition doesn't matter of their quality. SA felt it in the World cup.
Old August 15, 2009, 02:21 PM
Test Cricketer

at the end of the day Shakib made the wrong call...BD know that they can't handle pressure when it comes to batting and thus shud never ever put themselves under it when they can avoid it - this was a classic case!
Old August 15, 2009, 05:18 PM
Cricket Guru

It was Sakib's decision to bowl first. He ignored team management's decision to bat first. He is still too stubborn to admit he made a mistake.

http://www.prothom-alo.net/V1/mcat.n...wNjc2&mid=OA==

I suspect he lost his head in his sudden rise to fame and have started to make irrational decisions!
Old August 15, 2009, 05:54 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
It was Sakib's decision to bowl first. He ignored team management's decision to bat first. He is still too stubborn to admit he made a mistake.

http://www.prothom-alo.net/V1/mcat.n...wNjc2&mid=OA==

I suspect he lost his head in his sudden rise to fame and have started to make irrational decisions!
So he listened to member of team management. Who is this guy.

BTW I thought we should have bowled first but my idea was more logical. But if the pitch is such batting friendly then shakib should have listened to coach and most of the team management.

In a way it is better he is making his mistakes now. He has 2 more chance to rectify his mistakes.
Old August 15, 2009, 06:22 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohammedC
So he listened to member of team management. Who is this guy.
Lipu tried the justify the decision by saying 80% ODIs played here won by team batting second (record shows only 56.76% of time team batting second won here link).

Regardless who told Sakib to bowl first, it was his decision to listen to one person over others in the management.
Old August 15, 2009, 09:59 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
Lipu tried the justify the decision by saying 80% ODIs played here won by team batting second (record shows only 56.76% of time team batting second won here link).

Regardless who told Sakib to bowl first, it was his decision to listen to one person over others in the management.
Thank you very much Eshen for the link.

If this one person is Lipu, then Shakib will be a big policitian.

I am hurt by his adamant character. Now we know at least who is making the toss decisions. So it was Shakib in the second test as well. He has a lot more to learn. The best way to solve this problem is sit with him and discuss history. He is too young to know all that.
Old August 15, 2009, 10:22 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
The best way to solve this problem is sit with him and discuss history. He is too young to know all that.
So, Sakib needs a history lesson? About how Lipu brought down Durjoy's career?

Sakib knew very well this is a dead track for bowlers, he told the journalists so.
Old August 15, 2009, 10:40 PM
First Class Cricketer

I think wrong decision was to break the opening partnership. Since Riyad and Nayeem were both useless, one could have been dropped. We should have the guts to put ZI to bat first and then chase total. It was mediocre bowling and fielding that brought us a huge total to chase, even that should not be an excuse to loose so many top order wickets. Loosing wickets too early cost us the match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer
Made no sense to me whatsoever. The pressure of chasing is always more than batting first. In these tracks, and not to mention the recent solidity of our top order batsmen as a collection, makes this decision even more confusing. God knows what they were thinking. But, it was a wrong decision to begin with. Indeed it is a negative practice of Bashar era madness reincarnated.
Old August 16, 2009, 01:11 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Thank you very much Eshen for the link.

If this one person is Lipu, then Shakib will be a big policitian.

I am hurt by his adamant character. Now we know at least who is making the toss decisions. So it was Shakib in the second test as well. He has a lot more to learn. The best way to solve this problem is sit with him and discuss history. He is too young to know all that.
If that's true; he knows the history very well. And he prioratized pretty well.

I think it was JS; None else has that much authority on the captain & team as the coach has. News about dropping junaid shows that. These type of trategic mistakes could only come from him. He is as good as Buka-nan in such issues.

It was a 50-50 decision. Both way should be ok. considering pitch and history both. But to me it is still a mystery why they lost & why the top order failed to stay in the crease. disrupting a set openoing pair is the only reason I can think of.
Old August 16, 2009, 02:17 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Dale Willem Steyn

Good Thread. Points are discussed were needed.