facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 9, 2018, 06:10 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Ashraful

I want the best youngsters with the utmost number of games (experience) in international cricket represent us in World Cups. I don’t them to get dropped and play in our crappy domestic and than suddenly get picked due to being in form and scoring well in our poor domestic circuit. It is highly likely they will struggle. I would rather see Soumya/Sabbir/Liton be with the national team and improve. There’s nothing wrong in them playing domestics when not on nats duty.

Let them grow like Tamim/Shakib/Mushy.

Old January 10, 2018, 06:53 AM
Cricket Legend

Zubair Hossain was another special talent.

But our domestic teams have failed him.

Not shown trust in him/ backed him up.
Old January 10, 2018, 09:15 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportingBD
Zubair Hossain was another special talent.

But our domestic teams have failed him.

Not shown trust in him/ backed him up.
Why will they support someone with lack of discipline?

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old January 10, 2018, 09:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Lack of discipline comes from frustration of not getting picked.
Domestic teams are so reluctant to play him/give him a chance.

It’s not easy being a leg break bowler, especially when people don’t trust you/ back you. I still remember when Shakib said as BD fans we have to show patience with Zubair. But what happen? Got dropped. Hardly got consistent run in the domestic teams. Now his literally lost. Don’t know where he is? What his up to. So sad.

Very talented player. He still has time on his hand. I hope he can make a strong come back.
Old January 10, 2018, 11:48 AM
Cricket Guru

Shakib-Tamim-Mushfiq have not become what they're today only because they're gifted. Besides being gifted, they have shown very strong mental resolve and good work ethics from their early ages. Only Miraz and Momin come close them in this regard.

Coach Salahuddin was saying the other day - a rookie player should not be pampered, rather he should be put under pressure from very beginning. If he can't perform under pressure, he is not worth your time to invest in him.
Old January 10, 2018, 12:44 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Wang Liqin

I would pick players in the following order:

1) Recent+past performance against same opponent
2) Recent+past performance in same or similar condition
3) Current form on Int'l level
4) Better suited for the condition and team-combination despite the form
5) Young talents with high potentials that proved somewhat on Int'l level by playing U-17, U-19, Youth or A Team.
6) Current form on Domestic level

Besides, the selection committee needs to be a 3 or 5 member panel (not 2). Before selecting the final 11, the captain and the coach should be consulted with as well.
Old January 10, 2018, 12:56 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

^ Based on 1) above, Naeem is a must against Zim.
Old January 11, 2018, 11:06 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Miler/warner/Ryder/maxweL

i would absolutely support form and experience

naeem, tushar should have been in test squad few years ago but our culture close door for senior player unlike australia, i was surprised to see cameron white got call up ahead of maxwell or darcy short.

pakistan recalled misbah in the past, now hafeez and malik

i think BCB should be kind to senior experienced player and not shut door forever
Old January 11, 2018, 10:00 PM
Cricket Legend

I think it will be hard for Soumya to come back, once he is out. His domestic performance was never extra ordinary. And domestic performance was never considered as main key to enter national team. There is not enough a team or high performance squad tour.so let's see how he gets back into national team again.
I think someone from under 19 team might get chance before him.
Old January 11, 2018, 10:22 PM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max100
I think it will be hard for Soumya to come back, once he is out. His domestic performance was never extra ordinary. And domestic performance was never considered as main key to enter national team. There is not enough a team or high performance squad tour.so let's see how he gets back into national team again.
I think someone from under 19 team might get chance before him.
If he cant come back then he is simply not good enough and we have to assume the pakistan and SA series success was because he was an unknown and opposition had not done any analysis on him at that point. We have seen all other national player score a lot of runs in the domestic so there should not be any different set of rules for him. He needs to score 150+ and show he has the ability to concentrate and grind an innings. We have seen the pretty 20s long enough from him to know he has a issues that needs to be worked out
Old January 12, 2018, 12:08 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Quote:
Originally Posted by One World
^ Based on 1) above, Naeem is a must against Zim.
Naeem Islam is one my most favorite cricketers from Bangladesh the guy works very hard churns out the runs what more can you ask and he is still ignored
Old January 12, 2018, 04:30 PM
Cricket Legend

First 2 years in International Cricket (ODI)
Tamim Soumya Mushfiqur Shakib
No. Of matches 53 19 35 48
Average 25.84

Soumya averaged 22.18 last year from 13 ODI match.
He had been really good in T20I and in test has been doing well.

by far, he is way above Tamim/Shakib/Mushfiqur when they started.

Why can't we show patience with him? really?
Old January 12, 2018, 04:33 PM
Cricket Legend

Soumya has higher ceilings than most of the other players.
Perhaps we need to trust him.

Look at the number of matches Shakib/Tamim/Mushfiqur played, those numbers aren't too good, when u see the average.
Shakib you can let him off.
Old January 12, 2018, 06:19 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat
Naeem Islam is one my most favorite cricketers from Bangladesh the guy works very hard churns out the runs what more can you ask and he is still ignored
before he was dropped

his last 3 test match scores are: 18, 134 (a century), 48
his last 6 ODI: 35,14,32,63, 16,84

he has been ignored in test since 2012, at the age of 25

since then he scored a lot in DPL, NCL and A team too

his last 9 domestic performances

0, 54, 216, 5, 11,135, 36*, 123, 78

not sure, what he needs to do to return to the team
Old January 12, 2018, 06:34 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max100
before he was dropped

his last 3 test match scores are: 18, 134 (a century), 48
his last 6 ODI: 35,14,32,63, 16,84

he has been ignored in test since 2012, at the age of 25

since then he scored a lot in DPL, NCL and A team too

his last 9 domestic performances

0, 54, 216, 5, 11,135, 36*, 123, 78

not sure, what he needs to do to return to the team
Problem is the selectors have probably left it too late to bring him back. There is a gulf in quality between BD FC cricket and test cricket, it's why guys like Liton haven't been able to walk into the test team and dominate as they have in domestic cricket.

It takes time to adjust to international cricket, possibly 2-3 years and with Naeem having just turned 31, unless he plays until he is close to fourty (which cannot be guaranteed of any athlete) then the selectors would be more sensible picking guys like Liton, shanto, or other younger promising batsmen.

Naeem should have been brought back when he was between 27-29, now it's a bigger risk in the sense that Naeem would be taking up the spot of a youngster who may give more better years to the team than he can.
Old January 12, 2018, 06:41 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Quote:
Average 25.84

Just on this, what about the next year or next two years of international cricket? Pretty sure the likes of tamim, mushy and shakib have gotten better with time, Soumya seems to be getting wors, so I'd find those stats interesting also.
Old January 13, 2018, 02:43 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Shakib,Fizz

Quote:
Average 25.84

This is a very good point. What pisses me off more is that we continue to give chances to guys like Imrul, who's old and has done nothing to justify his position, and show no patience with a guy like Soumya who still has time to turn it around.
Old January 13, 2018, 11:07 AM
Cricket Guru

In last two years, ie since the England series, Kayes averaged 37.54 while Soumya averaged 15.2 against G9 teams. While Soumya had been flopping around, Kayes had three decent series against England, NZ, and SA.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...s;type=batting

It's getting very annoying how blind Soumya fans still keep talking trash about Kayes. Even Mashrafe maintained a better average in the period than Soumya - that alone should tell you what a burden Soumya had been for the team.
Old January 13, 2018, 11:22 AM
Cricket Legend

Imrul Kayes has played 70 ODI, has a strike rate of 67.
Not denying Imrul improved (based on stats), but Soumya hasn't got that amount of matches under his belt. Soumya has only played 32 ODI matches, and only in the last year he has been out of form in ODI. in T20 has been our best player, in test has been decent.

The point is Soumya shouldn't have been dropped, just because of 10-12 poor ODI's he had in the last one year. The previous players be it (Tamim/Shakib/Mushy/Imrul/Mahmudullah/Naeem) had so many chances even though they consistently failed. Soumya on the other hand has only struggled in the last one year. Matter of backing him and showing trust in Soumya to come out of this poor form, not boot him out of the nats team.
Old January 13, 2018, 11:33 AM
Cricket Guru

^^ National team is not the place to babysit anyone. Bangladesh team is no more a minnow team that would accommodate batsmen averaging in teens. We're well past the period when we accommodated talented yet mentally weak players like Ashraful, Aftab, and Alok. We would not be rising in ranking if we're still so accommodating of failures. Tamim-Mushfiq-Shakib survived because they showed the mental resolve to rise above mediocracy, not because of charity of anyone.

Soumya is struggling in BCL as expected. DPL is about to start in weeks. It's upon Soumya to overcome his shortcomings. Otherwise he will be left in dust by other gifted and hardworking upcoming youngsters like LKD, Shanto, or even Saif.
Old January 13, 2018, 11:53 AM
Cricket Legend

It took Tamim/Shakib/Mushy near 50+ ODI to start producing results. Soumya only played 32, has been brilliant since his debut. The only problem is the decline in the last one year. That could be down to bad form. Had any of Shakib/Tamim/Mushy been in bad form, would they have been dropped? no. The reason Soumya gets overlooked is because he directly went to national team without lighting up crappy domestic tournaments.
Old January 13, 2018, 12:26 PM
Cricket Guru

^^ It's very evident from your posts that you don't understand much of cricket other than stats, and can't make an argument other than using vague terms like bad form/patch.

Let me try to help you understand the situation one more time. Yes, Tamim and Shakib both came in the national team with plenty of technical flaws (Mushfiq's issue was prolly more mental). However, both had strong mental resolve to overcome their shortcomings. Both were also very lucky to have a good technical coach like Siddons. They also reach out their mentor Salahuddin from time to time whenever they struggle with their basics.

Now the same solution not going to work with Soumya as he skipped over the whole development process, and did not have a good batting coach in the national team to help him during his formative years either. His faults are badly exposed at this point, he will even struggle in DPL if nothing changes. If I were him, I would transfer to Gazi Group to work with coach Salahuddin. Otherwise, HP coach Simon Helmot is his next best bet. If he can't overcome his shortcomings, there is no point lingering on to him hoping for miracle.
Old January 13, 2018, 12:41 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
^^ It's very evident from your posts that you don't understand much of cricket other than stats, and can't make an argument other than using vague terms like bad form/patch.

Let me try to help you understand the situation one more time. Yes, Tamim and Shakib both came in the national team with plenty of technical flaws (Mushfiq's issue was prolly more mental). However, both had strong mental resolve to overcome their shortcomings. Both were also very lucky to have a good technical coach like Siddons. They also reach out their mentor Salahuddin from time to time whenever they struggle with their basics.

Now the same solution not going to work with Soumya as he skipped over the whole development process, and did not have a good batting coach in the national team to help him during his formative years either. His faults are badly exposed at this point, he will even struggle in DPL if nothing changes. If I were him, I would transfer to Gazi Group to work with coach Salahuddin. Otherwise, HP coach Simon Helmot is his next best bet. If he can't overcome his shortcomings, there is no point lingering on to him hoping for miracle.
And doing well in that crappy tournament (s) will mean he has overcome his technical deficiencies or whatever you infer to? Haven't we been here before? exceptional form in domestic = can't do anything in internationals? Talking about mental resolve.. where were those from Tamim/Shakib/Mushfiqur/seniors when we lost to New Zealand and South Africa away from home?

Nasir/Imrul was prime example of picking players based on form for the South Africa series.
What did they do in South Africa?

The game of cricket is bigger than just looking at domestic performance..(especially our domestic leagues).

Hathura is a smart coach. Absolute genius.
He stuck by Soumya and Sabbir for a reason, and would have done so if he was still in charge.
I'm pretty sure he (hathura) would understand cricket than most of us fans..
Old January 13, 2018, 12:52 PM
Cricket Guru

^^ Yes, I understand how frustrating it may be for illiterate cricket fans like you to understand why subcontinental batsmen may struggle in SA. BTW, Tamim was hardly there as he was injured.

Hint: watch how Indian batsmen are struggling in SA, and Pakistanis in NZ. However, both sides have much better bowlers to keep them in contention.

BTW, Imrul Kayes did better than most Desi's in both places.
Old January 13, 2018, 12:56 PM
Cricket Legend

The wickets we played in South Africa, most of them were flat.
Most of the commentators were saying that they were not typical south African wickets.

You can't compare that with the india v Sa tour.
The first test match was absolute bowling wicket (pace/bounce), typical south African wicket.

The second test is more of a sub continent wicket... (and we are yet to see India bat).

Soumya with whatever chance he got in New Zealand and South Africa did well than most seniors.