facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 1, 2011, 06:28 AM
Street Cricketer

Favorite Player: IVA Richards
Default Singles wins Matches

Hello All:
It is clear that in these days of ODI where 300+ scores are considered chaseable, the ability of a player to milk singles is most crucial. I had a conviction that this is exactly where we need to focus to take our cricket to the next level.

I was searching for the number of dot balls faced but could find that data in cricinfo. With available data however I was able to come up with an analysis on the current players of BD and kept the Aussies for comparison. I have measured the capacity to milk bowlers for runs without scoring boundaries derived from taking the Total scored by a batsman in 1s, 2s and 3s and then dividing it by the number of balls faced where a boundary was not scored. Here is what I have found:

Bangladesh
Shakib Al Hasan 50%
Mushfiqur Rahim 44%
Abdur Razzak 43%
Raqibul Hasan 43%
Junaid Siddique 43%
Mohammad Ashraful 42%
Tamim Iqbal 40%
Naeem Islam 39%
Imrul Kayes 39%
Rubel Hossain 29%
Shafiul Islam 29%
Average 40%

Australia:
MEK Hussey 60%
MG Johnson 58%
B Lee 54%
MJ Clarke 53%
RT Ponting 50%
SR Watson 48%
BJ Haddin 46%
SW Tait 29%
DE Bollinger 67%
NM Hauritz 64%
CL White 52%
Average 53%

One point of note is that Openers, as they face the PP can afford to have a lower number. If you see the aussie number then you will see that both Haddin and Watson has lower than average number.

So Australians on an average are about 30% more capable of taking singles than us. But the interesting point is all of their bowlers have a very high singles conversion rate. I am sure this is not happening by chance. They surely focus on training their tail enders to take singles.

Meanwhile we should concentrate on training our main stays to do the same.

Regards,

Hasib

Last edited by hasibhussain; March 1, 2011 at 06:38 AM.. Reason: The table was mismatched

Old March 1, 2011, 06:42 AM
Administrator

Excellent analysis - but showing something we already know. We are woefully inadequate in milking 1s and 2s and rotating the strike.

The Bangladeshi numbers do not surprise me except for that of Razzak and Imrul. The latter's number being even lower than Tamim's.

It would be interesting to analyse this from a partnership perspective. Which duo can rotate the strike most effectively?

I have a hunch that from the current crop of players we will see Shakib/Mushfiqur and Shakib/Ashraful to have the best numbers.
Old March 2, 2011, 05:28 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Good analysis but as Zunaid pointed out, we're already painfully aware of this. Anything below 50% should be deemed unacceptable when singles are there for the taking.

Basically, we have two types of players. We have fatalistic brainfarters who often recklessly swing & sweep by the number, and have their premeditation result in the opposition's jubilation, whoever they may be on a given day.

Then we have all those "hardworking" kibbles-and-bits players of inadequate ability, celebrated by those who like to celebrate mediocrity for obvious reasons. These guys "play slow" and block full-tosses and half-volleys because they don't sight the ball early enough, and can't find the gap as easily as they find the fielder. They get bogged down killing the game, create the type of lethal pressure neither they nor the team can get out of, and they succumb to a premeditated, often agricultural sweep shot. These Hudmahs, false grafters who only graft our demise, ought never be selected for any format of the sport, and I don't blame them when they often are.

We need more guys like Shakib who can rotate the strike with ease, and before that happens, guys with similar ability like Tamim, AshraFOOL, Zunaed and Mushfiq need to want to do that more at the right time. Alok at his best can also rotate the strike AND change gears when need be, something Nayeem hasn't been able to do of late. Marriage has ruined an already sissified Riyad.

As far as our young prospects are concerned, Shubhagoto Hom, Fazle Rabbi, Nasir Hussein and Anamul Haq can do both also. They need to be encouraged, not sissified by a nihilist riding on the coat-tail of natural progression from gifted young players.

Heavy hitters like Shabbir Rahman Rumman and Shubhashish Roy, our top seaming prospect in my humble opinion, are prone to the type of cerebral flatulence I mentioned in the beginning and need to be looked at as cameo options at this point. I'd love to see them develop into better batsmen over time.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; March 2, 2011 at 10:22 AM..
Old March 2, 2011, 05:57 AM
Cricket Savant

MODS - maybe this thread should be moved to the "Bangladesh Cricket" section from here?
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old March 2, 2011, 07:17 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
MODS - maybe this thread should be moved to the "Bangladesh Cricket" section from here?
I second that.

This is a very good one Hasib bhai. With the present trend of high scoring matches people often forget that in 50 over match taking singles is basically the most important thing. Take Strauss's innings against India. He never slog in his whole innings. He was building his innings on singles and hitting bad deliveries to the boundary.

Rakibul is the worst batsman in terms of milking singles. He has the tendency to bat on dead bat rather work the ball in the gap. As a result what ever he is endorsing himself as Flintoff he sucks in one day matches.
Old March 2, 2011, 08:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Baz

Can someone find SN's percentage? I'm sure you'llbe surprised

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)
Old March 2, 2011, 10:19 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Richard Hadlee, Shakib

Thats why part of practice should be batting in partnership and running between the wickets. Some of the obvious rules that we all seem to know even as street cricketers in our childhood seem to be lost in the big stage.

These include:

- Trust your partner for the call and don't get caught ball watching
- Its usually the runners call unless the ball is hit straight
- Always run the first one hard to put pressure on the fielder for a 2nd
- Run even if you've put up a catch, don't miss the run if its dropped
- Don't assume its a boundary till it is
Old March 2, 2011, 12:15 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Second post since 2004 ! Good job Hasib.
Old March 2, 2011, 09:59 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
Good analysis but as Zunaid pointed out, we're already painfully aware of this. Anything below 50% should be deemed unacceptable when singles are there for the taking.

Basically, we have two types of players. We have fatalistic brainfarters who often recklessly swing & sweep by the number, and have their premeditation result in the opposition's jubilation, whoever they may be on a given day.

Then we have all those "hardworking" kibbles-and-bits players of inadequate ability, celebrated by those who like to celebrate mediocrity for obvious reasons. These guys "play slow" and block full-tosses and half-volleys because they don't sight the ball early enough, and can't find the gap as easily as they find the fielder. They get bogged down killing the game, create the type of lethal pressure neither they nor the team can get out of, and they succumb to a premeditated, often agricultural sweep shot. These Hudmahs, false grafters who only graft our demise, ought never be selected for any format of the sport, and I don't blame them when they often are.

We need more guys like Shakib who can rotate the strike with ease, and before that happens, guys with similar ability like Tamim, AshraFOOL, Zunaed and Mushfiq need to want to do that more at the right time. Alok at his best can also rotate the strike AND change gears when need be, something Nayeem hasn't been able to do of late. Marriage has ruined an already sissified Riyad.

As far as our young prospects are concerned, Shubhagoto Hom, Fazle Rabbi, Nasir Hussein and Anamul Haq can do both also. They need to be encouraged, not sissified by a nihilist riding on the coat-tail of natural progression from gifted young players.

Heavy hitters like Shabbir Rahman Rumman and Shubhashish Roy, our top seaming prospect in my humble opinion, are prone to the type of cerebral flatulence I mentioned in the beginning and need to be looked at as cameo options at this point. I'd love to see them develop into better batsmen over time.
You advertisment worked...I am here and commenting
Old March 2, 2011, 10:04 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by psi
You advertisment worked...I am here and commenting
Thanks bro, now we have 8! So close to 10.
Old March 2, 2011, 10:08 PM
Cricket Savant

Great analysis but more importantly an important heads up. One thing I did notice is that good cricket shots' percentage have improved under Siddons. Rotation of strikes will come automatically too if their good habits continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer
Second post since 2004 ! Good job Hasib.
At this rate, he will be no threat to your race to SagaCity. :p

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old March 2, 2011, 10:47 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Thanks a lot Hasib bhai. It's a pretty sad sight to see. Seems like Shakibs the only 1 thats decent at taking singles. It's essential our players learn how to rotate the strike. It can't be taught at just the national team level. It has to be taught when they 1st hold a bat at the age of 12 or 13. And they have continue this practice until they reach the national team. Unfortunately it seems our players are not taught the basics and they pay the price.
Old March 3, 2011, 09:07 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

Shakib's recent numbers are probably much higher. He recently has cut down on his throw-the-kitchen-sink-at-every-ball mentality and appears capable to producing singles on demand. He needs to impart this wisdom on every player in the team and the entire team needs to practice extensively on milking singles. BTW, I am surprised that Rock and Raj have the same rate.
Old March 3, 2011, 09:54 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

Great post. I agree, to win matches, one needs to get the easy singles, and rotate the strike, as well as turn the singles to 2s.

If you remember the India match, Sehwag didn't bash us through the entire innings... During the middle they just rotated strike, got easy singles, and maybe hit a 4 here and there, and that kept the run rate above 6.
Old March 3, 2011, 12:26 PM
Cricket Legend

During the middle overs we can't hit boundaries or get enough singles... we need at least one of them.
Old March 10, 2011, 05:26 AM
Street Cricketer

Favorite Player: IVA Richards

I have also one observation that I do not understand. There are periods in the cricket game where you see that the batsman are at complete ease in what they are doing. They work on a particular game plan and you get the sure feeling that if the batsman does not do anything stupid he just can not get out.

But in our game or maybe in Kenya's game you see that, no matter what the pitch condition is or the situation of the game is, we seem to be always at risk. Even when we are blocking it seems that the shot was risky because it was predetermined. We can be on top of a game by hitting the ball all around the park but the comfort is something I never see in our innings. Why is it that our batsman are never comfortable?

Is this observation false and is due to my over anxiousness during the game or can it be that psychologically our batsman's are always self conscious and the game always has something to do with their self esteem which in its natural position is quite low. Therefore the response as redemption is always irrational to either finish the game in 25 overs or preserve the wicket (Ego) thinking it will go on for 100 overs. Our players are not playing for the game or the team it is always about them. Tamim or Shakib both have a high level of self esteem, therefore you find them playing a rational game but for others when the team needs them to deliver in a particular game situation, they are more worried about the outcome on their Ego than the outcome of the game.

I dont want to sound complaining because complaint does not help much but I am trying to de construct our failure. I have observed in this world cup that almost every single time the spectators, sparked by some hope united behind our batsman and started screaming Bangladesh in unison, we lost a wicket. It seems that direct support does not spur our batsman to do more but it fuels their Ego into believing that they can now blast their way out of this game and they lose their wicket trying that.

Is this a valid observation or my cynical mind is at work?

Regards,

Hasib
Old March 10, 2011, 05:47 AM
Cricket Savant

Valid observation.
Old March 10, 2011, 06:11 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mash, Tamim

This thread should be shown to Junayed, Naeem & RAKIBUL in particular.
Old March 10, 2011, 06:42 AM
Administrator

This thread should be sticky.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old March 10, 2011, 06:43 AM
Cricket Savant

I concur.
Old March 10, 2011, 06:51 AM
Cricket Legend

Great post, Our player should know this.
Old March 10, 2011, 12:28 PM
Cricket Guru

The potent urge to finish the game in 25 overs, or preserve the wkt as if it will go 100 overs, is a typical symptom of people making 'hand to mouth' existence. So, when an opportunity presents itself, either you gorge yourself with food before somebody else takes your share, or you stash away more than you should, but it rots or perishes. Secured people should exhibit less of such symptoms, and with that, self confidence and self esteem will also climb.
Old March 10, 2011, 12:31 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
This thread should be sticky.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Lagan..atha lagan..ki ar korben? Hasib re to apni chailei dur kortey parben na..
Old March 10, 2011, 12:43 PM
ODI Cricketer

I agree with the analysis and the idea behind this post. Yes singles are really important, but
I would be more interested to see how BD compare this analysis against the subcontinental teams. I say this because

1. The nature of wickets and the grounds we play in are totally different than what aus is playing. They have bigger grounds and faster wickets. What is a boundary here when it beats the infield will not be in most of the grounds abroad.

or may be the same teams how they play in different grounds.

I think this analysis will be more comprehensive when the ground factor is brought in

just my 2 cents

cheers !
Padosan
Old March 10, 2011, 12:54 PM

^^^^ Agreed. But based simply on watching (not hard statistical observations) I would say we rate even more poorly compared to the other subcontinental teams. Ind, Pak and SL have always been excellent players of spin and tend to rotate strike a heck of a lot during middle overs. Jadeja Azharuddin and Robin Singh were dangerous because of how they hung around rotating strike back in the 1996-97 era.

For that matter, our middle order is often stone cold stuck at the crease in many games, unable to switch gears from high scoring strokeplay to smart intelligent batting easily.