facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 8, 2007, 12:40 PM
Banned

Default Proud To Be Called Bengali Now

i am so happy in this few weeks by seeing how the bangladesh team are doing in the cricket world cup. me and my few freinds hope that bangladesh finishes in the top 4 of the world cup table, reaches the semi final. may allah help them and guide them to world cup final some how.

you have to remeber that bangladesh is currently the third world favourite team in the world.

reply with your best wishes for bangladesh.

proud to be a bengali?

Old April 8, 2007, 12:44 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Dravid

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamz
i am so happy in this few weeks by seeing how the bangladesh team are doing in the cricket world cup. me and my few freinds hope that bangladesh finishes in the top 4 of the world cup table, reaches the semi final. may allah help them and guide them to world cup final some how.

you have to remeber that bangladesh is currently the third world favourite team in the world.

proud to be a bengali?
Am sorry,but wht has cricket to do with ur love for the country?..

Last edited by psj; April 8, 2007 at 12:52 PM..
Old April 8, 2007, 12:45 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

NOW
so you weren't proud before?
Old April 8, 2007, 12:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj
Am sorry,but wht has cricket to do with ur love for the country?..You love ur mom irrespective of whether she is good to u or strict with u..ditto with ur country.
Stop talking about love for his mom... that's low
Old April 8, 2007, 12:46 PM
Test Cricketer

Indeed, proud to be a Bangladeshi, not only because of our win today, but from the time we've gained independence.
After this victory, no will elicit us like previoulsy they used to after seeing our passports while arriving at a foreign airport:'Where is Bayng-la-daiysh from?'

Got a bit too emotional.
Old April 8, 2007, 12:48 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by israr
After this victory, no will elicit us like previoulsy they used to after seeing our passports while arriving at a foreign airport:'Where is Bayng-la-daiysh from?'
that made no sense.
Old April 8, 2007, 12:57 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
that made no sense.
Ask this same question to our previous former players of the past decade when they used to tour other countries.
Old April 8, 2007, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Why? Why do our people suffer from life-long identity crises? Why do we associate a Bangladesh win to the pride of Bengalis (that too with a bastardized spelling?). It's more frustrating than people spelling "lose" with two O's.
Old April 8, 2007, 01:56 PM
Banned

PROUD TO BE BANGLADESHI, (CITIZEN OF BANGLADESH), PROUD TO BE BENGALI, ETHNIC RACE WHICH IS IN BANGLADESH, INDIA AND BURMA.

Old April 8, 2007, 02:51 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
NOW
so you weren't proud before?
That was the question I wanted to ask when I read the thread title. You did it already orphy.
Old April 8, 2007, 03:11 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
It's more frustrating than people spelling "lose" with two O's.
haha.... jotil comparison Asif bhai....
Old April 8, 2007, 03:16 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAsif
PROUD TO BE BANGLADESHI, (CITIZEN OF BANGLADESH), PROUD TO BE BENGALI, ETHNIC RACE WHICH IS IN BANGLADESH, INDIA AND BURMA.

Proud to be a Bangladeshi....Always was.....Always will be....
Old April 8, 2007, 06:22 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

Now?
Old April 8, 2007, 10:23 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones

Come on guys, give him a break, you know what he meant....even if he was proud before now he's got something to show for, at least to the 16 other nations that participated in the world cup.
Old April 8, 2007, 10:48 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Shamz bhai egiye cholo amra achi tomar piche.

Yes, proud to be Bangladeshi...like I always was
Old April 8, 2007, 11:01 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamz

proud to be a bengali?
Well 'More Proud' would probably solve the problem.

But I don't understand from where this 'Bengali' comes in? Our Language is 'Bangla' and Nationality 'Bangladeshi' and 'Bangali' ethnicity.

How do you explain 'Bengali'
Old April 8, 2007, 11:04 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

many people have this tendency of trashing the BD team when we are losing... that should stop from now on. If you want to rejoice on the victory of the team you should be man enough to support the team when they are losing!!!

BTW, constructive criticism is always welcome.
Old April 8, 2007, 11:07 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib,Tamim, Mashrafe

I m always proud
Old April 9, 2007, 02:21 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shahriar Nafees

AH.. psj cant stand ..when people praise "bangladesh's current performance ..which includes beating and knocking out of INDIA"
Im always proud by the way.. like 10dulkar_Mcgrath.
Old April 9, 2007, 03:54 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN

But I don't understand from where this 'Bengali' comes in? Our Language is 'Bangla' and Nationality 'Bangladeshi' and 'Bangali' ethnicity.

'
I couldn't agree more brother.

Introducing ourselves as Bengali while our nationality is Bangladeshi is the most stupid thing in this earth. We need to be logical. The Bengali is the name of a language. On the other hand, Bangali means the people who speaks Bangla as their mother tongue. In that sense it includes the people of West Bengal.

Brothers, this is not an ideological conflict of our rubbish BNP-BAL politics. We should follow what our passport says, we should follow what our constitution says.

The Bangladeshis who live in the Middle East refion knows best how disgusting the word 'Bengali' could be if it is used as their national status. The arab people who respects a Bangladeshi will always call him a Bangladeshi. When they want to show don't care attitude or disrespect, they will address with the word, "Ya Bangalee..". How can I blame them? It is some of us who has spread this disgusting word as our nationality.

Actually, if you are honest and rational, then you have to admit that only it is the Indians who address Bangladeshis just as 'Banglas'. It is because some of the Indians do not have the mentality to to accept the existence or the independence of Bangladesh. Thats why they dont use Bangladeshi. I mentioned before in one of my posts that the English news papers in Qatar are edited by Indians, and they never use the word Bangladeshi. They always write like this, "Bangla PM goes to China, Bangla captain defends...." OK, it is upto you. If someone wants to merge himself or herself with the Indians who dont want to accept our independence, then I have no problem if he/she introduces him/herself as 'Bengali or Bangali'. But I just wish that their conscience to guide them in making decesions.

The administrators and the moderators of the BC forum are undisputably very smart persons, and I have the utmost respect for them. But I don't understand why don't they change the title of the thread from 'Bengali to Bangladeshi'.
Old April 9, 2007, 04:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN

How do you explain 'Bengali'
Bengali is the English way of writing "Bangla", since I am writing in English I am saying Bengali. I don't know the reason for this. I was proud to be Bangladeshi before the cricket match. I am proud of Muhammad Yunus, Maulana Bashani, Fazle Hasan Abed (I guess your working for BRAC...I found out about them through a Pashtun guy I know who is currently in Kabul :p ) and many other Bengalis/Bangalees from Bangladesh as well as Bengalis from West Bengal such as Chandra Bose, Sourav Ganguly, Sushmita Sen and Sailendra Nath Manna who is Indian Football player of the century, and even half Bengalis such as Kajol, Abhishek Bachan or Soha Ali Khan (dad Pathan, mum Bengali)

Old April 9, 2007, 04:06 AM
Banned

Mahmudul.Alam, I won't discuss this in too much length as this is a cricket forum, but there are some foreigners who look down on Bangladesh and "Bangladeshi" per se, should that mean we should stop call ourselves Bangladeshi? No, we should be proud of who we are. Our country is developing and growing and our cricket team have done us proud in so many ways (e.g. the Bengalis of Karachi for example have more pride in their identity) and insha'Allah we will get more respect.

If you want we could start a thread on "Forget cricket" about this.
Old April 9, 2007, 04:18 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ponting, Iqbal, Mashrafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahmudul.alam
I couldn't agree more brother.

Introducing ourselves as Bengali while our nationality is Bangladeshi is the most stupid thing in this earth. We need to be logical. The Bengali is the name of a language. On the other hand, Bangali means the people who speaks Bangla as their mother tongue. In that sense it includes the people of West Bengal.

Brothers, this is not an ideological conflict of our rubbish BNP-BAL politics. We should follow what our passport says, we should follow what our constitution says.

The Bangladeshis who live in the Middle East refion knows best how disgusting the word 'Bengali' could be if it is used as their national status. The arab people who respects a Bangladeshi will always call him a Bangladeshi. When they want to show don't care attitude or disrespect, they will address with the word, "Ya Bangalee..". How can I blame them? It is some of us who has spread this disgusting word as our nationality.

Actually, if you are honest and rational, then you have to admit that only it is the Indians who address Bangladeshis just as 'Banglas'. It is because some of the Indians do not have the mentality to to accept the existence or the independence of Bangladesh. Thats why they dont use Bangladeshi. I mentioned before in one of my posts that the English news papers in Qatar are edited by Indians, and they never use the word Bangladeshi. They always write like this, "Bangla PM goes to China, Bangla captain defends...." OK, it is upto you. If someone wants to merge himself or herself with the Indians who dont want to accept our independence, then I have no problem if he/she introduces him/herself as 'Bengali or Bangali'. But I just wish that their conscience to guide them in making decesions.

The administrators and the moderators of the BC forum are undisputably very smart persons, and I have the utmost respect for them. But I don't understand why don't they change the title of the thread from 'Bengali to Bangladeshi'.
youre making a big deal out of a minor issue. bengalis are a race of people, bangla is our common language and bangladesh is our country. all this about indians not accepting our independence has nothing to do with those facts. i think either word works and making a fuss about their connotations is jus being pedantic.
Old April 9, 2007, 04:56 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

We have just as much as right as our neighbours to call ourselves Bengalis/Bangalees, and having a nationality doesn't mean we have to discard our ethnic identity. So let's not make a big deal out of it.
Old April 9, 2007, 05:17 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

[QUOTE=GoldenAsif;418936]Bengali is the English way of writing "Bangla", since I am writing in English I am saying Bengali.

Bro you have hit the bull, i wanted to here this. Nothing exists as 'Bengali' for me as a Bangladeshi/Bangali. Like nothing exists like 'Engrez' to an English (Bangla way of English). Our ethnicity is 'Bangali' not 'Bengali' Language is 'Bangla' not 'Bengali' many people make this mistake. But an English man does not make the mistake of calling themselves 'Engrez' and language 'Engrazee'

I don't have any political alighnment of BNP/BAL in mind. In any way these terms can't be translated.

Sorry, I don't work with BRAC, They are doing a good job here though. They are one of the biggest international NGOs here.

I didnt mean to offend you and am equally proud for our Cricket Team as you. I am enjoying the matches much more because of all of you in BC, coz you are the only people with whom I can share my feelings on our victory & defeat.