facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 9, 2007, 12:58 PM
BC Editorial Team

Default Windies dismissed for 85!!! India looks pretty good

Guys,

I know we all want BD to beat the Indian cricket team and provide payback for all the insults their board and media have thrown our way (the repeated refusal to host us, Modi's comment re: stipend, SRajesh, Redifetc.). But I think a dose of reality is in order. India looks pretty good so far. The rattled up 300 against the Dutch and now dismissed Windies for 85. With Patel, Agarkar & Zaheer, they've got a pretty decent pace attack, while Bhajji/Kumble, Yuvraj and Tendu will provide ample slow bowling options. The Trinidad pitch seems to have variable bounce (today's SA-v-Pak match was almost called off because of that) - so our batsmen too could very well suffer like Windies (similar propensity to play too many strokes). And the explosiveness of their batting order is well known (Rasel/Shahadat and the 5th and 6th bowler could be blown to smithereens).

We all want BD to win, but let's be pragmatic so that we don't all pull a Chicken Little should we lose (i.e. "the sky is falling!").

Old March 9, 2007, 01:02 PM
Cricket Legend

According to CI, it is not India that playing well, rather it is WI who is playing horrible.

Quote:
West Indies, who have chased successfully in the recent times, chose to test their skills in setting up a target and came up a cropper. Indians did nothing special. They needn't to as loose drives, hesitant pokes, over-ambitious swipes punctuated West Indies' shocking batting display and they went down in a heap. It was a perfect exhibition of the infamous Calypso Collapso.

- Match Bulletin
Old March 9, 2007, 01:03 PM
BC Editorial Team

I read that and factored it in. Pathan will not play against us. It will be Agarkar, Patel & Zaheer. And our batsmen are just as likely to play too many shots as Windies are.
Old March 9, 2007, 01:08 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

i'm happy windies got that collapse out of the way. hopefully they wont pull that again in the real matches.
Old March 9, 2007, 01:08 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

The pitches are a worry. No doubt. If we win the toss, I am more inclined to field first against India and do our level best to contain them by bowling some tight spells from our spinners. I would prefer to go with a set target against them no matter what the target is.
Old March 9, 2007, 01:09 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
And our batsmen are just as likely to play too many shots as Windies are.
If they are not going to play sensible, any Test team attack can bundle us out like WI. I hope that won't be the case.
Old March 9, 2007, 01:13 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

We have three ' 6 & out' guys in our top 6, a.k.a Tamim, Aftab, and Ashraful. If the pitch is assisting the bowlers, we will always be struggling to survive.
Old March 9, 2007, 01:14 PM
Test Cricketer

I tell you guys one thing, this is a blessing in disguise for both BD and WI.
Time shall reveal everything.
Old March 9, 2007, 01:16 PM
ODI Cricketer

lets hope Indians become over confident after todays match .. after all thats what we want ... right?
Old March 9, 2007, 01:29 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
Guys,

I know we all want BD to beat the Indian cricket team and provide payback for all the insults their board and media have thrown our way (the repeated refusal to host us, Modi's comment re: stipend, SRajesh, Redifetc.). But I think a dose of reality is in order. India looks pretty good so far. The rattled up 300 against the Dutch and now dismissed Windies for 85. With Patel, Agarkar & Zaheer, they've got a pretty decent pace attack, while Bhajji/Kumble, Yuvraj and Tendu will provide ample slow bowling options. The Trinidad pitch seems to have variable bounce (today's SA-v-Pak match was almost called off because of that) - so our batsmen too could very well suffer like Windies (similar propensity to play too many strokes). And the explosiveness of their batting order is well known (Rasel/Shahadat and the 5th and 6th bowler could be blown to smithereens).

We all want BD to win, but let's be pragmatic so that we don't all pull a Chicken Little should we lose (i.e. "the sky is falling!").
Todays SA-Pak game is being played in Frank Worrel Park, not the venue where we face India. We play them in Queens Park Oval. I am pretty sure about that . But, point taken about India though. They look good.
Old March 9, 2007, 01:43 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer
The pitches are a worry. No doubt. If we win the toss, I am more inclined to field first against India and do our level best to contain them by bowling some tight spells from our spinners. I would prefer to go with a set target against them no matter what the target is.
I am not sure this is the same pitch we will play against india. But going through the innings played on that pitch seems the innings range is 200-250.

So, you are right, we should pray for the outcome of the toss too!
Old March 9, 2007, 01:55 PM
Cricket Legend

West Indies bowled out for 85 does not mean that India is SOOO powerful.
Even Ireland bundled out #1 South Africa for 192.
Only explanation to this kind of incident is:

If something goes wrong with India, we now have the firepower to take advantage of that. So Let’s keep our hopes high and say “We sooo that this SUV”
Old March 9, 2007, 02:05 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

well this will help us, tendu, dravid dada could get batting practice today... so there short of practice...
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old March 9, 2007, 02:07 PM
Banned

So far, the way Trinidad pitches behaved, I don't worry about Bhaji. Kumble would have been a major worry elsewhere, but not so here, I think. Irfan is a one flavor guy. I would be most worried about Munaf, Srisanth and Zaheer. More threats will come in the middle overs from part-timers like Tendu (variations) and Ganguly (he's just a thief - cunning and thrifty).

We have some good weapons at hand also. I think our opening attack should be Mash and Rasel - the ability to move the ball is becoming far more important here. Second, we have the world's best SLAs at hand. We may very well need both the Rs to help us.

At port of Spain, historically, the most success always went to the quickines and seamers. Second successful group were the SLAs. If the retirement group (Tendu, Gangu and even Shehwag) is out early, the rest wont find it easy against quality SLAs.

I also expect our fielding to be better than India's.
Old March 9, 2007, 03:05 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Yeah two different field. I almost paniced after reading the match report about the pitch but then realized we will play in queens park oval. Toss is very important. As stupid as it sounds to send India in after winning the toss, it may be the best option we have right now. They can probably chase anything and I don't want to risk our top order early in the morning. In order for all that to happen though, we need to win the toss. So, toss will be quite vital for us. Hopefully, Aftab will recover on time. Just like someone else mentioned, it might be a blessing in disguise. If India becomes overconfident after such a easy victory against WI, we may catch them by surprise.
Old March 9, 2007, 03:18 PM
ODI Cricketer

I take the match as a blessing to us. First of all Gangu, Tendu, Dravid didn't get match practice. The second thing is, India will be over confident. I hope we catch this opportunity.
It will be a piece of cake for Mash to eat Shewhag.
We need two good balls for Gangu and Tendu. In that case Dravid will go into shell and play a JO innings, hence a "shomman jonok porajoy" for India.
Old March 9, 2007, 03:33 PM
Cricket Legend

Damn, India is looking dangerous, for a change their bowling seems to be as good as their batting. Bangladesh will have to play really well in order to cause any sort of upset. Another factor that adds in is, both India and Srilanka are good players of spin and Bangladesh's main bowling strength is left arm spin..
Old March 9, 2007, 03:53 PM
Cricket Legend

This pitch is great, lots of bounce, but tough to swing the ball, so if given width ball either gone for 4 or going for catch if not hit properly. So now I am not really worried of INdia bowling but worried of our batsmen making basic mistake. hope the players listen to my prayers

Last edited by allrounder; March 9, 2007 at 04:21 PM..
Old March 9, 2007, 04:01 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

I like it adds some spice to the 9 day pre game build up
Old March 9, 2007, 04:17 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Indian bowling is rubbish. Yup I said that. I am just worried when Chapple gets fired Dav don't jump ship. That's all folks.
Old March 9, 2007, 04:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Geee,this form India is in might be a problem unless, say, Bangladesh were in a purple patch themselves,having just knocked over a side that chased 350 against Australia.
Old March 9, 2007, 04:43 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

After watching the highlights of India vs. WI match, I have only the following observations.

1. India's bowling wasn't anything to cheer about. Mostly, they had pace, but no swing. All the shots were mistimed, and it's the stupidity of WI batsmen that got them out for 85.
2. How many batsmen edged and got caught? 4/5? How many of those balls were swinging? NONE. Once again, poor show by the WI batsmen. Dhoni took good catches, but given gloves and pads, I'll also be able to dive that much with my flappy tummy.
3. The C/B was absolute rubbish. Just tells you that WI were most likely put to the field after a secret rave.

So all I have to say is, I hope our BD batsmen don't take the win against NZ and Scotland as given and start being too confident. Yes they need confidence, but they also need to watch out and play properly. This time there shouldn't be any excuse after seeing all terrible things happen during the warmup.
Old March 9, 2007, 04:56 PM
Test Cricketer

wht kind of pitch is the one bd gona play against india???
Old March 9, 2007, 05:06 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

i will be starting a thread advising BD fans to lower the expectations (while keeping hopes high as hell) because in all likely hood we will be 1 and done this year...i don't want to hear of BC fan's jumping off of bridges after losses to SL and India.

with that being said, my opinions are not changed by this Indian performance. I am a firm believer in present case scenarios.

Had the Windies bundled out the Indians for 25, or scored 650 batting first...my opinions of India would not be any different than they are now. we have seen India play many matches...today's match is not an accurate picture of how strong this India team, just as our wins against Australia or New Zealand or Canada's near win against is a picture of our strength or Canada's strength.

i will try one final time...Razzak picked up 4-26 against New Zealand...same team took Murali to the cleaners (Murali's figures 1-64)...is Razzak 8 times the spinner that Murali is (4 times the wickets * 2+ times the economy)??? of course not.

Bangladesh is no powerhouse, but India ain't some bunch of gods either...

#OneTeam1Dream
Old March 9, 2007, 05:09 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Indian bowling is rubbish. Yup I said that. I am just worried when Chapple gets fired Dav don't jump ship. That's all folks.
the win against NZ notwithstanding... i think we could use some new blood.

even if DW goes to India for a couple years (they will fire him at some point after losing some away test series)...we can hire him again a la SL.

or not, SL won with DW 1st time around, but his 2nd bid wasn't as productive...

i wouldn't mind DW stayin on after WC07, but we could do with a change also...nothing against Dav...he's done more for BD than any other coach has.

#OneTeam1Dream