facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 10, 2011, 09:20 AM
Cricket Legend

Shehwar bhai, you brought tears to my eyes with that story. I'll admit I wasn't old enough to understand anything back then really, but my mother often tells me about the day we beat Kenya, and people who didn't even know what cricket was took to the streets to celebrate. It always amazes me when I hear that story, and now I've heard it from another's point of view. Thank you. =]

And Firstlane: You are the epitome of "cool".

Old January 10, 2011, 10:16 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Wonderful, bro, wonderful. I was just gulping it down. Made me feel proud of ourselves one more time. All the credits to you, brother.out of !
Old January 10, 2011, 01:45 PM
Cricket Legend

So glad it touched so many hearts! It was so worth writing it!! I just feel so good!!!
Old January 10, 2011, 01:54 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Nice read so far!! Didn't finish it yet.
Old January 10, 2011, 04:42 PM
ODI Cricketer

Shehwar, I can't call you Bhaiyya, because it seems to me that you are closer in age to my son. Awesome writing. I agree absolutely that those were the times that changed Bangladesh cricket forever. I used to go to the stadium even when MCC and other vacationing cricketers used to humble us. But during the 90s did we really start to mature as a cricketing nation. I will just say one thing, that like your father, I too always liked to celebrate Bangladesh's victory in cricket with good food for the family. But during that time and when we qualified for ODI, I remember I forgot that I was a faculty at a university in Dhaka. I actually treated students with roshogolla.
Old January 10, 2011, 06:04 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Pollard, Steyn

Shehwar bhai, i hung onto each and every word. It was brilliant, no other word for it. For me growing up, these stories were legends, i had never experienced them but i always knew they existed. I actually pictured the excitement of every single ball u wrote. Brilliant, absolutely brilliant.
Old January 10, 2011, 06:05 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Pollard, Steyn

This should be on the homepage!
Old January 10, 2011, 09:20 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Saudi Capital

lol firstlane blad, you've taken some seriously critical decisions in your life it seems.
Old January 10, 2011, 09:50 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Any one remember Shojol Chowdhury (sp.?) the pacer? He was the other half of our 'impressive' pace attack (with Anis) during that SARC cricket tournament. Whatever happened to him?
Old January 10, 2011, 10:06 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

it's always good to know that I am not the only BangladeshCricketPagol in this world, great stuff shehwar
Old January 10, 2011, 10:33 PM
Club Cricketer

Nice writing, some mix up in timeline and match description still worth reading.
My love for Cricket started during 1987 Cricket World Cup when I was at Class VII.

I see many cricket lovers in my extended family now a day’s who used to tease me for "day dreaming" to play test cricket or participate in the World Cup.

Bangladesh cricket followers are the most diehard fans in the world. Because theory they may be a weak team but still the best team in their hearts.

A nice article at today’s Prothom Alo
http://www.eprothomalo.com/index.php?opt=view&page=13&date=2011-01-11

Old January 11, 2011, 03:43 AM

Enjoyed every word of it, a golden piece for BanglaCricket I guess. Could be placed somewhere in front page as 'Sweet Memories' or something?
Old January 11, 2011, 11:47 AM
Cricket Legend

Its been such a pleasure to receive all your feedbacks ... also so fascinating to read about your experiences ... What an emotional journey it has been for so many of us! Here is the scorecard of that all important match against the Dutch for the young ones who weren't old enough at the time ...

Bangladesh v Netherlands
Old January 11, 2011, 01:28 PM
First Class Cricketer

Awsome thread. Thanks Shehwar. It's truly so many memories. I wish someone here would discuss on earlier stuff than 97 as well, like sharing photos or talking about some special matches during our pre ODI status days.
Old January 11, 2011, 06:50 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Dekhsen Shehwar bhaiya..apnar lekha porey + First Lane brother-er sriti-charon porey koto purano hariey jawa boro boro bhai-ra abar BC-te firey ashchen ei thread-e dekhun Shehwar dada, apnar ei tulona-bihin lekhar jonnoi...apnake + first lane + asdfjkl bhai-ke many many big big
Old January 11, 2011, 09:45 PM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zobair
Any one remember Shojol Chowdhury (sp.?) the pacer? He was the other half of our 'impressive' pace attack (with Anis) during that SARC cricket tournament. Whatever happened to him?
Injury brother. Remember when MCC came to visit Dhaka? Shojol and Shanto did some extraordinary bowling. MCC batsmen were struggling. I think that was the last time I have seen him play
Old January 12, 2011, 02:01 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bujhee kom
Dekhsen Shehwar bhaiya..apnar lekha porey + First Lane brother-er sriti-charon porey koto purano hariey jawa boro boro bhai-ra abar BC-te firey ashchen ei thread-e dekhun Shehwar dada, apnar ei tulona-bihin lekhar jonnoi...apnake + first lane + asdfjkl bhai-ke many many big big
Old January 21, 2011, 02:16 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket46
Shehwar, I can't call you Bhaiyya, because it seems to me that you are closer in age to my son. Awesome writing. I agree absolutely that those were the times that changed Bangladesh cricket forever. I used to go to the stadium even when MCC and other vacationing cricketers used to humble us. But during the 90s did we really start to mature as a cricketing nation. I will just say one thing, that like your father, I too always liked to celebrate Bangladesh's victory in cricket with good food for the family. But during that time and when we qualified for ODI, I remember I forgot that I was a faculty at a university in Dhaka. I actually treated students with roshogolla.
Thank you so much! Btw I'm craving for roshogolla now!!!
Old January 21, 2011, 02:30 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

You guys from Dhaka have too much memory to share. Most of us from the other parts of the country who never lived in Dhaka have very little knowledge about the history of our cricket.

It's really good to know about the history. Knew nothing about the stuffs you guys posted in this thread.

Thanks
Old January 21, 2011, 02:31 PM
Cricket Legend
WC 2015 Fantasy Winner

Thanks shehwar brother for refreshing the memory with your writing. I was a part of this Bangladesh cricket's epic journey. I am overly emotional right now.
Old January 22, 2011, 09:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Knockout_U
Thanks shehwar brother for refreshing the memory with your writing. I was a part of this Bangladesh cricket's epic journey. I am overly emotional right now.
You are most welcome brother ... I actually got emotional myself when I was writing it ... It was as if I was living those moments all over again ....
Old January 22, 2011, 01:04 PM
First Class Cricketer

Brilliantly written. It brought back a lot of memories. I remember when listening to the ICC trophy final against kenya on the radio. I was a little kid (i think in 3rd grade), there couldn't have been a better ending to this drama. Playing in the world cup was a HUGE DEAL as I can remember and EVERYONE celebrated our world cup berth whether they watched cricket or not.

I want to thank Shehwar for this well written, bone-chilling article. Great Job.
Old January 23, 2011, 10:10 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murad
You guys from Dhaka have too much memory to share. Most of us from the other parts of the country who never lived in Dhaka have very little knowledge about the history of our cricket.

It's really good to know about the history. Knew nothing about the stuffs you guys posted in this thread.

Thanks
You are welcome brother ... But I'm sure there are so many Bangladesh cricket freaks just like us in every corner of Bangladesh ... Just in this thread itself we have already found so many who share similar emotions from the era and I'm sure they are all not from Dhaka ...
Old January 25, 2011, 01:59 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallian
Brilliantly written. It brought back a lot of memories. I remember when listening to the ICC trophy final against kenya on the radio. I was a little kid (i think in 3rd grade), there couldn't have been a better ending to this drama. Playing in the world cup was a HUGE DEAL as I can remember and EVERYONE celebrated our world cup berth whether they watched cricket or not.

I want to thank Shehwar for this well written, bone-chilling article. Great Job.
Old January 25, 2011, 02:49 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

Very impressive... Really But, I am a bit surprised that you missed Khaled Mashud Pilot's massive 6 at the last over? I thought that was also the turning point. I have a personal bias for that because it was surreal when we heard that over the radio,, off course it was all Akram Khan but without that Six, we couldve been denied the victory that day of 1997. Then again,, its a brilliant and patient writing. Thanks..