facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports

Other Sports Talk about other Bangladeshi and International sports.

Old November 26, 2008, 06:10 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushfiqur Rahim
Default Two Indian Baseball players sign MLB Contracts!

Quote:
America, please meet Rinku Singh and Dinesh Patel. They're both 20 years old, they're both pitchers and they're both from India. Both are your newest trailblazers in the world of American baseball.
Before this spring, neither had ever picked up a baseball, preferring cricket and javelin. On Monday, though, Singh and Patel became the first Indians to sign baseball contracts in the United States, inking minor league deals with Pittsburgh and inevitably setting the stage for a baseball comedy starring Rob Schneider and that dude from Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle.
Time will tell if the arms of Singh (left) and Patel prove them to be more than just an easy "Hey, America is outsourcing everything to India!" joke, but the Pirates believe their potential is worth a risk. (And if this news isn't the ultimate proof that 16 straight losing seasons will send you searching anywhere, I'm not sure what is.)
The USA Today has more:
"This is very intriguing for us," Pirates general manager Neal Huntington said. "We are trying to broaden our horizons internationally and to get into some non-traditional markets. I've always been curious about India, knowing they have a cultural passion for cricket, which involves throwing, hitting and running. We want to see how that translates to baseball.
"This organization benefited in Latin America when we signed Roberto Clemente, and hopefully with their success, we'll see more athletes coming from India."
If you're wondering how the pair went from subcontinent unknowns to U.S. newsmakers in just over six months, the story is actually worth more than a script treatment. Earlier this year, an American talent company held a pitching contest in India because it believed the country's 1.1 billion was a vast and untapped talent resource. Singh and Patel topped the 30,000 Indians who tried out and have been working with USC pitching coach Tom House ever since.
To learn more about Rinku and Dinesh, visit their unintentionally hilarious blog — "We went with JB sir to breakfast at a great American breakfast eatery called Dennys" — or check in with the guys at Walkoff Walk, who have been on the story since Day One.
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big...urn=mlb,124485

Wow, looks like India is trying to be a major force in all the sports! Next, they will probably try to find an Indian basketball player

Old November 26, 2008, 06:12 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

afridi should try his luck in baseball
Old November 26, 2008, 07:05 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovik
oo valo korbo baseballe...i mean ekta matche tow koto bar batting korar sujog paibo..ekta na ekta lagaia dibo..
Old November 26, 2008, 11:27 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শা

Good luck to them. I'm sure they have been groomed well, I'll be surprised if they enjoy overnight success given that they have not played pro baseball in their life and only picked up the game a year ago. Give 'em 3/4 years, we may see few more Indian baseball players coming out through those talent hunt programs. I would think that a hitter (i think that's what they are called) would have been an easier choice to make. Pitching is a bit harder.
Old November 29, 2008, 03:23 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Pitching needs a genuine body shape and needs to follow a classical rhythm with high arm action. Its not dudhbhat.
Old December 2, 2008, 11:13 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

It has created a little bit of buzz here. But, nobody cares about a minor league team like the Pirates here anymore! Its all about Steelers and Penguins. Most awful pro sports team in North America.
Old December 6, 2008, 10:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushfiqur Rahim

Quote:
Originally Posted by One World
Pitching needs a genuine body shape and needs to follow a classical rhythm with high arm action. Its not dudhbhat.
don't you mean dalbhat?
Old March 2, 2009, 05:25 PM
ODI Cricketer

Ash should try baseball.
Old March 2, 2009, 07:34 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovik
anyone forgot Aftab Ahmed ? MLB pays more than ICL you know, plus once he moves to US he can brag to fellow "Bengalis" i used to play for the national team and win matches from time to time you know

who can forget his 67 against India in 2004?
Old March 2, 2009, 08:53 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifat
anyone forgot Aftab Ahmed ? MLB pays more than ICL you know, plus once he moves to US he can brag to fellow "Bengalis" i used to play for the national team and win matches from time to time you know

who can forget his 67 against India in 2004?
Or forget his Heroics vs South Africa, Sri Lanka and Australia and Being the Best Batsmen in ODI format for 2 years.

I miss Aftab, People Forget he was really good under DW, Ice Water in His Veins Great Finisher to end Innings in the lower order or Offset the Negative RR Created by JOB @ #3.

Our Best Fielder too

He'd Def Win a Gold Glove if he played Baseball.

It's Sad But I bet the Same People Will Turn on Shakib and Masri When they hit a rough patch.