facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 19, 2005, 09:19 PM
Street Cricketer

Default {2005 Thread} Waiting for BCCI to call, Dav keeps Dhaka on hold

Waiting for BCCI to call, Dav keeps Dhaka on hold
CHANDRESH NARAYANAN
Indian Express - India

MUMBAI, APRIL 19: This is not what good neighbours do. By dragging its feet on naming a successor to John Wright, the BCCI is keeping the Bangladesh Cricket Board on tenterhooks: Dav Whatmore, their national coach, is stalling on renewing his contract until he gets a call from India.

Whatmore is one of the leading candidates — along with Greg Chappell and Tom Moody — to take over from Wright, who finished his tenure on Sunday. And like the other two frontrunners, Whatmore has already expressed a ‘‘deep interest’’ in taking the Indian role.

Though Whatmore was unavailable for comment, sources close to him say a contract with the BCB is ‘close, but still not quite there’.

That’s what the BCB also says. ‘‘We have not yet signed up a contract, but we are very close. We are aware of rumours floating around with regards to Dav. But we are in a practical field and this is an open market,’’ Reazuddin al-Mamoon, the BCB’s media committee chairman, told The Indian Express from Dhaka today.

Though unwilling to speculate on ‘‘what happens if’’, Mamoon maintained that Whatmore as an individual was free to take his decision but BCB is still ‘‘very interested’’ in retaining him.

‘‘If the change does happen then we will have to look at other options,’’ he acknowledged.

A top source in the Bangladesh cricket establishment said Whatmore, a former Australian Test batsman, had already spoken to the ‘‘right people’’ in Indian cricket. ‘‘No one knows what is happening. If he (Whatmore) wants the contract can be signed tomorrow. But we are all waiting to see what the BCCI does. He (Whatmore) has already spoken to Jagmohan Dalmiya and Sourav already so in a way he is very much in the loop,’’ explained the source.

Whatmore’s current contract as Bangladesh team coach expires on April 30 and the team has leaves for a tour of England on May 7.

Though not willing to speculate on what might happen, the source indicated that Whatmore was keeping all his options open. Essentially, the coach was looking for a contract with a ‘‘convenient’’ get-out clause that would allow him to jump ship if and when the BCCI offer comes through.

‘‘Even if he takes up the English assignment, Dav will still have enough time to come back from there and take up the Indian job before the Sri Lanka tour. And this is because he believes he can make a difference to the Indian team,’’ said the source

Old April 19, 2005, 10:05 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Well, hopefully just like Whatmore, BCB is exploring all their options. As a professional Whatmore can choose to go anywhere he wishes once his contract expires. If he stays great! If he goes I wish him the best of luck. He discharged his duties as sincerely as he could while he coached Bangladesh. But coming back to BCB, I do hope they are looking at a plan B. We are at a crucial stage in our Test career, and we can ill afford to go without a qualified professional coach for too long.
Old April 19, 2005, 10:40 PM
Test Cricketer

It doesn't look like the BCB HAS a plan B though, look at how many options we have heard for India, but who is being considered in case Whatmore jumps ship? BCB seems to be caught completely flat-footed by this development.

Hopefully we can still convince McInness to take over, coach, whaddya say?

Edited on, April 20, 2005, 3:43 AM GMT, by capslock.
Old April 19, 2005, 10:45 PM
Test Cricketer

You know what, I am angered by this news. We are waiting just too long. No disrespect to whatmore, but he isn't the last person on the whole wide universe to save us from the ultimate failure. I hope BCB is also constantly in search of our new coach. It will be a sad story to lose whatmore when he isn't an option for us. Shame and anger! Are we lame???!!!!
Old April 19, 2005, 10:50 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Well then! we as fans are venting our frustration at the wrong person. Whatmore is doing what he should be doing! The relevant question is "Is BCB doing what it is supposed to be doing?" Judging by the number of threads on this forum focused on what Whatmore's future course of action, and none on what the BCB's plan of action should be, it seems we, as fans, have also lost the plot as well.

Is it me or we are low on thoughtful cricketing discussions these days? So many posters seem to think a few "I love Bangladesh cricket"...and "go Tigers!"...and other generously punctuated with patriotic smilies constitutes a decent post. Yet, I am sure all of us are capable of much more.

Quote:
Originally posted by capslock
It doesn't look like the BCB HAS a plan B though, look at how many options we have heard for India, but who is being considered in case Whatmore jumps ship? BCB seems to be caught completely flat-footed by this development.

Hopefully we can still convince McInness to take over, coach, whaddya say?

Edited on, April 20, 2005, 3:43 AM GMT, by capslock.
Old April 19, 2005, 11:54 PM
Cricket Legend

It's not like that Whatmore is the only professional person in the world. Many of us here are professional too. When we change job in our professionla world, we never can think of keeping our employer hanging like that. The difference in this situation is that....our employers has gutts; both employer and employee know absence of a particular person will not be the end of the world. This forces both employer and employee to handle career change decisions in a professional manner. But BCB does not have the gutts. That's why Professional Whatmore can get away with this kind of unprofessional attitude---keeping Bangladesh hanging for India.
Old April 20, 2005, 01:03 AM
Cricket Legend

I totally agree with babubangla. With due respect to DW I want to say that this attitude of DW is not professional and not ethical also. If he agrees with the new terms ( $15000 in place of $8000) offered by BCB, then he cannot wait for any offer from some other agencies. Agreeing on some thing and keep on hold is not acceptable to any norms of ethics.
Old April 20, 2005, 01:13 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

I've had enough! Let Whatmore g to HeLL!......Mone hoy Whatmore Indiar coach howar jonno oder pai dhorte porjonto raji hoe ase...aar aidike amra or pai dhortesi but sha amader jhulai raktese...to beparta ki daralo..?...jodi Whatmore Indian der pai-hate dhoreo coach hote na pare shudhu tailei amader coach thakbe......I say.....let him go to hell.....let him coach India and immeditaely arrange a 5 test and 7 ODi series against his new side...Sarwar Imran can look after our side for the time that it takes to find a good new coach....I'm starting to lose all the respect i had for this guy.....
Old April 20, 2005, 01:23 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

To me this news is not new. This could be concluded from the news of BD media during last one month or so. Like on other threads I just want to say how much DW can inspire BD players with his current state of mind. If this is the case for other prof sports (e.g., NBA, NHL, premiership, etc.) players would not play for him. He is not really a prof. If he gets India job and if Aussie job is vacant he may do the same.
Old April 20, 2005, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sam
I totally agree with babubangla. With due respect to DW I want to say that this attitude of DW is not professional and not ethical also. If he agrees with the new terms ( $15000 in place of $8000) offered by BCB, then he cannot wait for any offer from some other agencies. Agreeing on some thing and keep on hold is not acceptable to any norms of ethics.
I think it's time to shift BCB's plan B to plan A and just forget about Whatmore. Hard to hold respect on him now.
Old April 20, 2005, 04:21 AM
Cricket Legend

Oh crap.

He's not under contract and holding out, or demanding the team fire him.

The guy was signed for two years, and he'll work the two years. I havent seen any drop off in what he's been doing for the team.

If BCB wanted him that badly, they should have offered an acceptable extention six months ago.

Dont let your good players get out of contract - then you have to bid for them as a free agent.

And coaching India looks darn tempting for someone who coaches cricket teams for a living - do good, and you'll make enough to set yourself up for the rest of your life, or get fired and drop back a category.

Ian Whitchurch
Old April 20, 2005, 05:12 AM
First Class Cricketer

Whatmore must be feeling that he has reached a dead end with Bangladesh team and there may not be much more he may be able to achieve with the present BD line up. It will be no surprise if BD loses heavily in England in their forthcoming tour despite his presence.

So Whatmore may have sensed that this was his opportunity to switch to a less frustrating and relatively easier job of coaching India.
Old April 20, 2005, 07:01 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Taskin Ahmed - TazKing

Can we really blame BCB? We know there are limitations of BCB, there is no doubt that they offered a pay-rise to Whatmore, but maybe that is not enough for Whatmore's terms but there is only a certain extent to which the BCB can offer Whatmore. If the Indians are sure of replacing Wright with Whatmore than obviously they will offer even a greater sum which we can't afford any longer. It is all gains and losses at the end.

Yes we will lose a lot if we lose Whatmore, and so will Whatmore. His image as a thorough professional will be damaged. And I am not sure if he is willing to gamble that. But lets' not blame our board for not doing enough. I think they have done a lot. What is left is solely on the hands of Whatmore and external factors like BCCI. But if Whatmore does accept the deal for the lust of a better life and more money then I think he will soon realise he is wrong. Honestly it is very frustrating for me to see that the deal is taking so long. I have a message to everyone concerning this situation including whatmore

"get in or get out, it's atleast better than being at the middle".........
Old April 20, 2005, 08:44 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by tanvir_nus
Can we really blame BCB?
Why Not?
They should show some self-respect by not being used by Dave Whatmore's "If No One Else Take Me, Then I'm Yours" approach. May be I am poor, but you can not blame me for having a rich heart inside my poor body. It's a matter of having a rich heart....it's not a matter of what we can afford or not. It's a a matter of National Cricket. As a fan, we all feel embarrased by the way BCB acting these days.
Old April 20, 2005, 09:53 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Taskin Ahmed - TazKing

They have been embarrassing us, I agree. But in this case I think it was the un-professionalism from Whatmore's part that made his contract renewal a big issue. If he was a bit more transparent and acted more professionally then we would saying different things now. Actually, as a fan I think Bangladesh needs Whatmore. Yes, there are other coaches, but now is not the time for them, this is the time the team needs to stabilize..... and changing coaches will hurt it badly....

But then I think we are getting reports of WM signin the contract... .... lets just wait now.
Old April 25, 2007, 02:30 PM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Barry Bonds and JO
Default To much spin

It is not DW fault for holding out for a better deal. His contract expires, and so does is obligation. There is no question of professionalism or lack of ethics like many you pointed at. DW will decided what is best for him in a time of his choosing, he would be stupid not to.

BCB is also not at fault. DW is the best coach for BD right now. BCB understand that, but just like any compitition, they will have to compete with BCCI to keep him. Is wrong for anyone to assume that BCB does not have a plan B. But you can not execute plan B without all the facts and events that needs to transpire first. So, please reserve your comments and stop judging BCB and DW.

As fans we to need to be professional and stop attacking character when it does not suit us. Don't forget, it is BCB who is in obligation to further BD cricket and not DW.

sincerely,
BD first -kkakash.
Old April 25, 2007, 02:34 PM
Cricket Legend

kkakash, this is a two year old thread. DW already decided to leave us, so we are no more his plan-B, and no one knows what is his plan-A at this point.
Old April 25, 2007, 02:37 PM
Club Cricketer

still applies today. But i should have doubled check before posting.

Last edited by kkakash; April 25, 2007 at 02:43 PM..
Old April 25, 2007, 02:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Why dig such an old thread?
Old April 25, 2007, 02:50 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

I hate these old thread dig ups without any rhyme or reason !!!! Just creates more confusion. Koi theke je ei gadha gula ashe forum e :@
Old April 25, 2007, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by layperson
I hate these old thread dig ups without any rhyme or reason !!!! Just creates more confusion. Koi theke je ei gadha gula ashe forum e :@
The related thread facility of VBulletin is probably a cause. The other reason is in our last sentence.
Old April 25, 2007, 03:39 PM
Club Cricketer

Default Feedback

Ok, my mistake. But also consider blocking people to post anything this old. This post shows up in the homepage scrolling thing that you have as banner. I just clicked and replied, should have checked the date prior to post.
Old April 25, 2007, 04:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

Man, the article really confused me... I was thinking when did all these happen?