facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old December 9, 2012, 07:49 PM
ODI Cricketer

I have to say my mood was a bit spoiled after they were zooming the camera on Hasina every 30 seconds.. I usually change whatever channel this woman is on but unfortunately had to go through this just for the cricket

Old December 9, 2012, 07:51 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohammedC
Who goes to PP forum? I don't when I have everything I need in BC.
There are some Bangladeshis on that forum, some of them on BC too. I go there bcuz they have a wide range of cricket fans not just from one country, we need more foreign members here.
Old December 9, 2012, 08:24 PM
Cricket Legend

We dont even get international cricket in BD that often let alone winning a series against a team ranked higher than us (the only other mass public celebration I can think of is Pohela boishakh). So dont think these celebrations go over the top...

There is no denying the 'luck' factor on the final match, but if there is something called 'deserved to be lucky' we earned that throughout the series.

I agree, this 'BD fan in PP forum' doesnt even sound like he lives in Bangladesh (might not be Bangladeshi at all), as ppl pointed out there was no public holiday declared for this.

I noticed in PP (throughout my infrequent visits there) there are some Bangladeshi fans (alteast claiming to be) quite desperate for attention and would post things way more belittling than this for some 'LOLs'. Have seen plenty of these 'Bangladeshis' in real life, so these doesnt bother/surprise me anymore...
Old December 9, 2012, 08:48 PM
Cricket Guru

the celebration at times does seem to be a little over the top, but hey, cricket is the only thing which unites us all as a nation so well and a win by Bangladesh is probably the best thing that happens to us. So, w can go to extremes :P I just wonder what will happen when when and if we win the World Cup :P
Old December 9, 2012, 11:08 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

People are not getting the point. This was not a philosophical issue raised by Banfan. Not about celebrating what little we can, and living in the moment,at the present, that sort of stuff.
Banfan was concerned whether such celebrations reduces the drive of the team, and whether it gives a free pass and okays all the mistakes they made. That was the point,at least that's how I took it.

Celebrate, go ahead. But don't gangam style your way into a happily ever after. Get back to training and work on your weaknesses as soon as you can. This is what I felt Banfan meant.
Old December 9, 2012, 11:38 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

The Bangladeshi fans are too emotional. Thus, our jubilation as well as despair pushes us over the top!
Old December 10, 2012, 03:02 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: AB de Villiers

Sadly the celebrations at times do go overboard. I was in Dhaka during the Asia Cup and after we won against India or Sri Lanka (I don't remember clearly) there were huge celebrations on Satmasjid Road in Dhanmondi. We were at the Stage Music Cafe, watching the game there then watching the celebrations on the streets. There were trouble makers out who were throwing stones and breaking glasses and also harassing the women, who were traveling on Rickshaws, by touching them, pulling their saris and ornas and even puncturing the Rickshaw tires, those with women in them.

This is the scene on just one single street (I could probably only see 1/4 of a mile) in Dhaka, that too after winning one single game.

I love celebrating our few and far between wins (which is changing!), but in any scenario where even a single person is harassed or a non fan of cricket who's car is "rubbed" (and yes, it can be a pretty rough rubbing) and scratched, it's going too far and we are only going back in our evolution as a country.
Old December 10, 2012, 03:09 AM
Cricket Savant

I think we can safely conclude SC need to amend new laws to curb the enthusiasm in celebration.
Old December 10, 2012, 03:14 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

We kill in the name of political protest and vandalize in the name of celebration. I think we have the right to celebrate all we want as long as it's not breaking any laws. It's really a small group of miscreants that crosses the line and ruins it for everyone
Old December 10, 2012, 03:27 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
We have won the series and we deserve to celebrate. But do you think that our celebration sometimes go over the top? I feel at times like that and I think that's harming our development to some extent. Because in the process we limit our expectations and players start feeling complacent. Here is a BD fan's reaction to our celebration, I don't agree with him in totality, but I agree to some of the points:

Do you really support such celebrations winning a series? More over we know how lucky we had been in the last match ... A few lucky moments/Events were..

1. We got two poor decisions in our favor at the end of WI innings and one against us (Razzak)
2. Mominul was lucky to be out there after relentless fishing at wide deliveries.
3. Mushy was extremely lucky not to be caught a few times
4. Entire batting line up was clueless against pace and bounce, even a 58 was possible if luck didn't favor us.
5. If WI would have executed the run out on the other end in that Sunny Dumb Act event, Nasir would have been out since Sunny was standing in this own crease.

I know cricket is a game and luck is a factor, but when you win basing on so much of luck, there should be some humility in that win, not to forget how we won it. But we seem to completely overlook that and go over the top with celebration, that puts all those weaknesses under the debris and they only pop us in the next series, when luck doesn't favor and we suffer humiliation....it has happened over and over again with our team, after luck ridden victories.

I can understand the celebration after winning the ICC trophy, because that ensured a giant leap forward for our cricket. The peak of the next celebration should be after we win the World Cup. Till then victories should be kept in perspective, for the team to realize their mistakes and improve upon those. However, you can't control people and dictate them how they should celebrate, but surely the government should stay away from cheap celebration to score political points and destroy the cricket by exaggerating the achievements through unnecessary rewards. While we can only request the fans to celebrate with some humility and not by insulting other country fans online...
BANFAN, In spite of your well-constructed OP I had to rate it down. Not all posts behind the veneer of well-constructed sentences are stellar. Two factors mainly:

1. Dude, are you that desperate for approval of others that you had to go to PP and get some schmuck's comment who might have his own agenda against BD?
  2. And secondly? Luck? I think in 185 Sehwag and many other top scores people get lucky. Ash got lucky in Trentbridge with a lifer ball bouncing on bails. Of course there is luck in sports. But, imo, it shows a tasteless way to undermine our achievement. It seems that unles a win of 8billion runs are scored with each players earning MacArthur Genius grant for triple digit scores with win handed on platter and laurel wreath on pillow on podium, there would always be way to be nit-pick such tremendous wins. I know you are well within your rights to express concern from arm chair critique, but seriously if you abstractly boil down entire series win to a luck factor that just shows plain ignorance on your part.
Btw, nothing personal against you. I just feel a post by a PP blogger doesn't warrant a thread. And no the nationality is not important but it's just meaningless.

p.s. Conversely, the Maverick video really made my day.

p.p.s Google also revealed this. Just like Blah's TedTalk video showed people always see the negative in our country. There are negative factors everywhere and doesn't mean we should emulate them, but why should WE get our fair share of blame for slightest mistake?

Edit: Okay just visited that site (need to clean cache..argh) but I stopped taking the comment seriously after reading the l33tspeak handle.
Old December 10, 2012, 04:06 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
We destroyed them in 2 games, and in the third game it was WI luck that the game was as close as it was. At worst you can say that Mushy and Mominul's luck was balanced by the quick and dumb wickets of Gazi and Razzak which balances things out.

You forget that in only 1 game did WI actually outplay us significantly. This should have been a 4-1 series margin, and WI are lucky it was as close as it was. Not BD.
LOL i find it funny that people are using this word "destoyed", the truth of the matter is OUR PLAYERS TOOK BANGLADESH LIGHTLY, they simply wasn't motivated after winning a world cup and sweeping the test series easily 2-0, what is an ODI series so close to the end of the season gonna mean to them? NOTHING,

So you went two nill up, helped by some foolish decisions by our coach i.e playing Simmons and Russell and leaving out Powell, Permaul and Roach, but when everything was on the line in the third and fourth game and we really put our foot down the story changed and you were second best by a long way in that fourth game,

I've already said well done to Bangladesh, but i agree the celebrations have been rather over the top, because quite frankly you haven't achieved anything you haven't done before, you beat NZ in an odi series worser than you beat us and where did it get you? not very far,

Our Odi side is still a work in progress, it's not settled like the Test and T20 sides, which probably explains why we've drawn with Australia but then go and lose to Bangladesh this year.
Old December 10, 2012, 04:10 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindieFan
LOL i find it funny that people are using this word "destoyed", the truth of the matter is OUR PLAYERS TOOK BANGLADESH LIGHTLY, they simply wasn't motivated after winning a world cup and sweeping the test series easily 2-0, what is an ODI series so close to the end of the season gonna mean to them? NOTHING,

So you went two nill up, helped by some foolish decisions by our coach i.e playing Simmons and Russell and leaving out Powell, Permaul and Roach, but when everything was on the line in the third and fourth game and we really put our foot down the story changed and you were second best by a long way in that fourth game,

I've already said well done to Bangladesh, but i agree the celebrations have been rather over the top, because quite frankly you haven't achieved anything you haven't done before, you beat NZ in an odi series worser than you beat us and where did it get you? not very far,

Our Odi side is still a work in progress, it's not settled like the Test and T20 sides, which probably explains why we've drawn with Australia but then go and lose to Bangladesh this year.

OMG somebody kill me i cant take this anymore
Old December 10, 2012, 04:20 AM
First Class Cricketer

Yep, can't put forth a coherent rebuttal to my argument so just "laugh", very mature!! .

And btw if Sammy saying before the ODi series "we wanna whitewash them 5-0" ISN'T TAKING YOU LIGHTLY, then i don't know what is!! .
Old December 10, 2012, 04:25 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Quote:
Yep, can't put forth a coherent rebuttal to my argument so just "laugh", very mature!! .

And btw if Sammy saying before the ODi series "we wanna whitewash them 5-0" ISN'T TAKING YOU LIGHTLY, then i don't know what is!! .
look whos talking..Dfan misses you!!
Old December 10, 2012, 04:25 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Quote:

Excuses excuses everywhere.
Old December 10, 2012, 04:27 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Sammy made it very clear before the series started that they wont take BD lightly and they are looking to win the series. It can be said that WI were focused for this series. So how can you assume that "YOUR PLAYERS TOOK BANGLADESH LIGHTLY?". Your team struggled against spin and you dont have a solid batsmen in your lineup that can ensure that you guys can make big runs in ODIs. Yes i agree WI are a much more settled team when it comes to tests and T20s but frankly you guys dont have wat it takes when it comes to ODIs. Your very lucky to have Kemar Roach who rattled our batting lineup in the 4th ODI or else it would have been an easy ODI series win for Bangladesh.

Your team was simply not good enough in this ODI series. Just face the facts.
Old December 10, 2012, 04:28 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarWolf
Excuses excuses everywhere.
forgive him..he is having mental disorder eating this loss

and if we lose today's T20 he would come here and say we took T20 seriously because we are World Champs..if he loses he'll say its just 1 game..our players were missing home
Old December 10, 2012, 04:29 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
look whos talking..Dfan misses you!!
I made arguments before the laughing, you on the other hand...........

i'm still waiting
Old December 10, 2012, 04:31 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Quote:
I made arguments before the laughing, you on the other hand...........

i'm still waiting
my family told me never to argue with someone who has lost it..no point wasting my time...i know i know you will now come back with this

Old December 10, 2012, 04:33 AM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

No need to feed a troll. Simply ignore him.

Old December 10, 2012, 04:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Your ignoring my post. Got no rebuttals? Very mature!!
Old December 10, 2012, 04:37 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliPagol
Sammy made it very clear before the series started that they wont take BD lightly and they are looking to win the series. It can be said that WI were focused for this series. So how can you assume that "YOUR PLAYERS TOOK BANGLADESH LIGHTLY?". Your team struggled against spin and you dont have a solid batsmen in your lineup that can ensure that you guys can make big runs in ODIs. Yes i agree WI are a settled team when it comes to tests and T20s but frankly you guys dont have wat it takes when it comes to ODIs. Your very lucky to have Kemar Roach who rattled our batting lineup in the 4th ODI or else it would have been an easy ODI series win for Bangladesh.

Your team was simply not good enough in this ODI series. Just face the facts.
SAMMY SAID "WE'RE GOING FOR A FIVE NILL WHITEWASH", does that sound like a man who had respect for his opponants? of course not, thus THEY TOOK YOU LIGHTLY, against Australia, he never said, against Nz, he never said that, why only against Bangladesh did he say that? BECAUSE THEY TOOK YOU LIGHTLY, which is why they decided to send home Ramdin and Deonarine instead of keeping them in the odi squad,

I believe we missed Dwayne Bravo badly aswell as he's a fantastic batter and can bowl well too, he would have played in the role Smith and Russell played in and strengthened our batting in the middle, Ramdin would have too, but it wasn't to be,

And you can mock our ODI side if you like but the truth is if both sides had their best teams on the park and it was an important world cup match 9 times out of 10 we win.
Old December 10, 2012, 04:39 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
my family told me never to argue with someone who has lost it..no point wasting my time...i know i know you will now come back with this

Translation: i don't have an argument to put forward

ok thats fine, you should have said it in the first place .
Old December 10, 2012, 04:42 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Quote:
SAMMY SAID "WE'RE GOING FOR A FIVE NILL WHITEWASH", does that sound like a man who had respect for his opponants? of course not, thus THEY TOOK YOU LIGHTLY, against Australia, he never said, against Nz, he never said that, why only against Bangladesh did he say that? BECAUSE THEY TOOK YOU LIGHTLY, which is why they decided to send home Ramdin and Deonarine instead of keeping them in the odi squad,

I believe we missed Dwayne Bravo badly aswell as he's a fantastic batter and can bowl well too, he would have played in the role Smith and Russell played in and strengthened our batting in the middle, Ramdin would have too, but it wasn't to be,

And you can mock our ODI side if you like but the truth is if both sides had their best teams on the park and it was an important world cup match 9 times out of 10 we win.
You would better talk with your team about it. Please don't try to argue here and spoil our celebration. I personally don't welcome it.
Old December 10, 2012, 04:51 AM
Cricket Legend

After BD making it into the Asia Cup final your telling me WI thought this ODI series was a walk in the park?

All i saw in the WI ODI team is Sammy saving you guys from low scores and also Kemar Roach with his bowling.