facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 13, 2006, 01:58 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Pundit
I think Sham is the coolest person around. But man, your defense against Rahim's inclusion is getting just a tad too much.
No kidding. I thought I had over-sold the point as well till I read the Watcher's post (and Fazal's full-hearted agreement) about how its sad that Banglacricket's adviser(s?) and experts were tight-lipped about his inclusion and didn't care to point out the possible downsides!

Old March 13, 2006, 02:12 AM
ODI Cricketer

Good writeup from Wasim Akram, a great cricketer. He sure means well for Bangla cricket.

I wonder if there is any possibility of Cricket Bangladesh engaging his services in some capacity; at least to train the pacies on a short term assignment.

I cannot challenge the views of a great plalyer of the calibre of Akram. But I do think Mushfiqur Rahim will do well very soon, at the highest level. Pretty much like Marvan Atapattu, who started with innigs of 0, 0, 1, 0 in test cricket but was persisted with.

As long as Mushfiqur fails, people will cry out for the blood of the selectors but when he starts performing the selectors will be praised !
Old March 13, 2006, 02:35 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by abherath
Good writeup from Wasim Akram, a great cricketer. He sure means well for Bangla cricket.

I wonder if there is any possibility of Cricket Bangladesh engaging his services in some capacity; at least to train the pacies on a short term assignment.

I cannot challenge the views of a great plalyer of the calibre of Akram. But I do think Mushfiqur Rahim will do well very soon, at the highest level. Pretty much like Marvan Atapattu, who started with innigs of 0, 0, 1, 0 in test cricket but was persisted with.

As long as Mushfiqur fails, people will cry out for the blood of the selectors but when he starts performing the selectors will be praised !
Abherath,

I didn't think I would need to point out to a SL cricket guru like yourself that Atapattu's career actually supports the point of view of those of us who have taken a position against rushing youngsters into Test cricket.

Marvan played his first Test match back in the 1990/91 season as a 20 year old, and two more in the next six years! He only bacame a regular in the side in the 1996/97 season and has never looked back!

So, he wasn't really 'persisted' with. He actually got dropped for three years between 93/94 and 96/97 and he came back a much better player!
Old March 13, 2006, 07:01 AM
Test Cricketer

Few quick comments as I am in a hurry.

There is irony in the signature that Sham carries. He is one of the best in the forum, no doubt about it. I think over the years he has heard / argued with a lot of people and guess what...
Some of his ideas are really weired!

Why age is the sole factor? Yes, it's one of the factors but not the only one when considering one's maturity. There are tons of examples I can bring, not only in the game of cricket, but in every single aspects of life- you name it, you got it. I can understand when some parents are saying, oh he is a 17 year old, but when I hear it from young people, I have to wonder...

Mushifiqur was indeed the choice ahead of many top guns in the team- wheather recent form, technique, potential, temperment every thing is with him. On the other hand, When you talk about Kapali, he has only age in his side for the last couple of years wheather Domestic, international, or A-matches. Why we go all out to say I want Kapali in the team, and I don't want Mushfique is beyond me ( perhaps age is the only criteria in some people's book). I hate to bring in what I already said long ago, but we always like to talk about Ashraful, and Kamblis all the time, but lets not forget the Mashrafes.

We talk about nurturing young prodigy like Mushfiqur, and I agree and wish we were the Aussies. We are getting there for sure when I see what we are doing with lot of our young prospects. We can't jump from step one to a lot higher step. Mushfiqur was introduced last year in test, had lot of international games, and now he comes back again. We can't wait any longer to keep a prospect of his calliber out of a team like Bangladesh, which has been so unfortunate that sometimes even it's biggest fan call for its head, and say "Bangladesh doesn't deserve to play test cricket"!
Old March 13, 2006, 09:46 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Sham
Quote:
Originally posted by abherath

Abherath,

I didn't think I would need to point out to a SL cricket guru like yourself that Atapattu's career actually supports the point of view of those of us who have taken a position against rushing youngsters into Test cricket.

Marvan played his first Test match back in the 1990/91 season as a 20 year old, and two more in the next six years! He only bacame a regular in the side in the 1996/97 season and has never looked back!

So, he wasn't really 'persisted' with. He actually got dropped for three years between 93/94 and 96/97 and he came back a much better player!
I think Sri Lanka did not play too many tests back then. Most countries would hardly give us matches. So even those who did not get dropped did not play too many tests in those years.

Sri Lanka had Arjuna, Aravinda, Mahanama and Gurusinghe coming straight out of school into the national team. In fact Arjuna was still schooling when he played in Sri Lanka's first test. The four of them were pillars on which Sri Lanka's World Cup success was built.

By the way, I am just a cricket enthusiast with some mercantile cricket in the lowest divisions to my credit. So I am not a Guru in any sense. I would be glad to learn and even correct myself, reading what you write. Thanks for your comments, anyway.

I am waiting to see Mushfiqur shining in international cricket and I am sure that it will happen soon.
Old March 13, 2006, 09:49 AM
ODI Cricketer

One more comment I would like to add here. Look at Graeme Smith of South Africa ! He came in to the team with no previous test or ODI cricket and with just a bit of first class cricket, as the Captain !
Old March 13, 2006, 10:22 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

The batting lineup we have,

can't score 200+ against a quality attack,

loves to play aggressive and loves the walk from the crease to the dressing room,

and showed time and again can't learn from previous mistakes;

what other options the selectors/coach/ captain have?

With below par outputs I know everyone wants an excape goat and that is the coach and the selectors.

So to save their rear these cricket gurus tries out young blood. Only natural, when seaching for "the one" who will take us to the promise land. What would you do? I can garantee, you would do the same after a year or two when your own neck is on the line. The coach and the selectors are fedup with Ash, Aftab, NI, S Nafees, Bashar's repeated faliures. And they have every right to feel that way. Tharanga a 20 year old in span of 7 months should our batsmen how to bat in ODI and test. Two different form of game two different approach. with 5+ years of experience Ash still could not master that. We all are desparately waiting for someone who is matured enough for test cricket. The think tank thought they had found one in Mushfiq. I thought we had found one. May be we did, just by judging one test is not the best thing to do. He is more advanced than any one for his age. Only time will tell. I still want mushfiq in the test team (may not be in the final 11).

Edited on, March 13, 2006, 3:30 PM GMT, by Cats_eye.
Old March 14, 2006, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cats_eye
The batting lineup we have,

can't score 200+ against a quality attack,

loves to play aggressive and loves the walk from the crease to the dressing room,

and showed time and again can't learn from previous mistakes;

what other options the selectors/coach/ captain have?

With below par outputs I know everyone wants an excape goat and that is the coach and the selectors.

So to save their rear these cricket gurus tries out young blood. Only natural, when seaching for "the one" who will take us to the promise land. What would you do? I can garantee, you would do the same after a year or two when your own neck is on the line. The coach and the selectors are fedup with Ash, Aftab, NI, S Nafees, Bashar's repeated faliures. And they have every right to feel that way. Tharanga a 20 year old in span of 7 months should our batsmen how to bat in ODI and test. Two different form of game two different approach. with 5+ years of experience Ash still could not master that. We all are desparately waiting for someone who is matured enough for test cricket. The think tank thought they had found one in Mushfiq. I thought we had found one. May be we did, just by judging one test is not the best thing to do. He is more advanced than any one for his age. Only time will tell. I still want mushfiq in the test team (may not be in the final 11).

Edited on, March 13, 2006, 3:30 PM GMT, by Cats_eye.
Cats_eye, you just beat me on this! Thank's to you.

I was following the threads last couple of days on this "Mushfique issue" but didn't reply because of time. I got the impression that ... by any chance, IF any of our GURU on BC forum was the selectors, he might have thought or tried even his son or anyone ( if not his mom & dad ) to produce CONSISTENCE or positive result from BD team. You did put it very nicely by saying "when your own neck is on the line", one will try any option in his hand.

As far I can remember, I saw same kind of reaction on this forum, when Shahadat got thrashed by ENG last year. Same crying was going on by saying "destroying his future" by playing him so early in top level. Now we see different picture of Shahadat, though he still has long way to go. What is the different between Shahadat and Mushfique? one is a bowler and other is a batsman, one was 19+ at that time and other is 17+ now, one had couple of A match experience against UAE and ZIM ( don't know more than that ) and other has plenty of international match experience tough in U 19. So I don't see much difference between this two except 2 years of AGE. Given all this difference still I don't understand how we JUDGE and be SURE that our selectors are "destroying his future" by including him in the team, and ofcourse judging on just ONE bad test performance!

If this AGE was the case, I wonder why our ex U 19 coach allowed him to go to England in the first place.
Old March 14, 2006, 08:27 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Viv - he made all scared

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by amra_korbo_joy
Akram Inswinger

I was really surprised to see the think-tank pick up Mushfiqur Rahim when there were players like Alok Kapali and Aftab Ahmed.

It just puts pressure on the young but talented players. I don't know what was the selection policy of Bangladesh but I must say it's simply stupidity to field a player like Rahim to face world's one of the greatest bowlers Muttiah Muralidaran.

You can just destroy a player picking up him at a wrong time. The Bangladesh think-tank should be careful about the issue to nurse young talents properly.

http://www.thedailystar.net/2006/03/12/d60312040228.htm
Who is Wasim Akram? What does he know about cricket anyway?

I think we should keep picking Rahim. He has so much talent. So what if he is just 17? I think we have to look at the greater interest here. One or two talented youngsters careers can be destroyed to keep the people of Bogura and the members of Banglacricket.com happy!
okk...listen vai...just remember..when AKRAM, BULBUL, ATAHAR, DURJOY, NANNU were in da team....our batting side was strong...atleast we don had to think abt our batting....n our bowling side was our headache then...but now...dat circumstance has been totally changed....now our batting side is poor like past bowling side...

so we hav 2 consider dat XPerience is also 1 of da X-FACTOR in cricket...we should balance between XPerience n talent...as Xample...Captain Shumon is XPerienced player in our team...n also da 1&only seccessful batsmen in our team...Javem Omar is also same....but Ashraful, Aftab, Shahriar Nafees r not successful...but their talent, ability is better than Shumo n Javed...so..why they cant be successful???....

n we should learn from Ashraful's history...he might b able to b more consistent if he had started his career after 20....N REMEMBER 1 THING...EVERYBODY IS NOT LIKE MASHRAFEE...coz his temperament is simply Xtra-ordinary...

Edited on, March 14, 2006, 1:30 PM GMT, by KaaL-PurusH.

Edited on, March 14, 2006, 2:31 PM GMT, by KaaL-PurusH.
Old March 14, 2006, 08:39 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Viv - he made all scared

Quote:

Who is Wasim Akram? What does he know about cricket anyway?
hey man...dont u know Wasim Akram?...he is very famous HA-DU-DU player...lolllllzzz...don mind...m joking