facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 10, 2006, 06:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Default Someone better explain to me

what strategy we employed with our batting line-up in this Test series!

lets take a look at what went on:

so they take Kapali in the first test. he scores 22 runs in two innings and gets out to two controversial decisions. now even I as a a Kapali fan said that I don't know what he did to get back into the Test side, but if you are going to take a player, you need to atleast give him 2 or 3 matches to prove himself. that is even more important when you know that the guy has been unlucky. but they decide to drop him for the second match.

as rajin was in the top 12 for the first test and obviously lost out to Kapali for the last batting spot, the expectation surely was that if Kapali gets dropped, Rajin would be picked. but no! they keep Rajin as 12th man, and Rahim comes from outside the 12 straight into the 11! so why was he not in the 12 for the first match and what has he done right and Rajin done wrong in the 3 days between the first and second test?

did they keep rajin as 12th man for his fieldind? but if that were the case, surely they would have picked Aftab!

so, what did the guys get out of this?

Kapali - came in and went out again without doing anything. Its a bit unfortunate. mypoint is: either take the guy and give him some time to settle back into cricket. or dont take him at all! bringing him back for one match every other series is neither helping him nor our team!

Rajin: gotta be wondering what on earth is going on and where he fits into this team!

Rahim: poor guy, you cant help but feel sorry for him! Scored two runs in two innings and then missed a stumping chance! the guy has actually dont everything right so far as a 17 year old, but the selectors and some of the members of this board are now on a mission to kill his career by throwing him at the deep end before he has the maturity or the first class experience to handle it.

Aftab: i dont even know what to say about his exclusion!

and lastly, the more I see Shahriar Nafees bat, the more I think that he needs to see a batting coach and work on his technique. he is uncomfortable against the short ball and has a tendency to drive without any footwork when he is given a bit of width. definitely not good enough for an opener and i'm not sure whether thats good enough for a middle order batsman at this level either! and his two second innings dismissals were shockers! here is another "typical bd batsman who throws away his wicket at first opportunity" in the making!

Edited on, March 10, 2006, 11:54 AM GMT, by Sham.

Old March 10, 2006, 06:53 AM
BC Editorial Team

I will add to that. What is our reknowned coach doing? We have a speciallist fielding coach, and Dav himself was a Test batsmen - so why is it that our batsmen's techniques are regressing? Playing back to spinners on a slow pitch (Chittagong) made sense. Why were our batsmen not coached onto getting on the front foot. If you read their interviews on the various newspaper, no where will you find any player saying "I did this as per the coach's instruction".

Why are we paying Davanol so much money to be a fat, clothing-challenged, amateur shrink? Chacha could do that for a lot less.
Old March 10, 2006, 06:54 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

To add to this.........WHY ASHRAFUL BATTING AT 5?? he should be batting at 4......it loooks a slite change.....but it could make huge difference
Old March 10, 2006, 06:55 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by yaseer
To add to this.........WHY ASHRAFUL BATTING AT 5?? he should be batting at 4......it loooks a slite change.....but it could make huge difference
Couldn't agree more!
Old March 10, 2006, 07:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Rightly said by RazabQ, Dev is not doing things right either.......i would say about his strategies........throughout the series...most of his strategic decisions does not make sense (if he is the one taking the decisions).

1. batting alok at 9 in the 1st odi
2. not playing Javed in the 1st odi
3. batting ash at 5 throughout the test series
4. calling back Alok in tests (dont know why), and giving him only 1 test to prove him
5. playing Mushfiqur Rahim.
6. including two middle order batsman in the squad, Rajin and Aftab and playing a openner in the middle order.
Old March 10, 2006, 07:03 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

What is wrong with Shahriar nafees? Lost his interests in playing for the National team already? Or is he taking things too easy too soon?
Old March 10, 2006, 07:06 AM
Cricket Legend

Also question mark about selectors on the issue that.................in the 1st odi they picked Razzak ahead of Rana.......bowled only 3 overs.....throw him out in the last two.....took Rana in the 3rd one.

The question is.....if you picked Razzak ahead of Rana....why giving him only 1 match.....where he had no runs to bowl??if Razzak is not good enough....then why pick him??

I just cant understand what is going on
Old March 10, 2006, 07:37 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

As I said in another thread, my baseless assumption of putting Mushfiqur Rahim in 2nd test in place of Alok Kapali is Pilot's injury.
Old March 10, 2006, 07:51 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

I hope after this series nobody will say that Golla is "reliable" and we need him.

It's time to take my idea of making Aftab test opener seriously.
Old March 10, 2006, 07:52 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Quote:
Old March 10, 2006, 08:22 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: TIGERS !!

This is how we just kill our potentials.. and our hope for future. The player like Alok, Rajin and Aftab shouldn't be out side of the team. Rajin is a solid batsman with solid defence who can anchor in the middle order collapse as he showed in pakistan, also recent few years in internal league. Aftab is a agrressibe and talented.. we should play him and let him settle up himself for test. Alok is the guy who is capable of play with middle of the bat and look more promising. and has the hatric against Pak with his leggie.

So what is my point is that theses guys even don't get time to settle up themselves, begfore they realize how to cope against new teami in different situation they are just kicked out form the side. so they get bit frustrate and lost their self confidence which is not good perspective for the future of our cricket. I have seen many teams in the world have given their players chance many many times in the dire time of their team to just get time to set up as some of the class players sometime needs. In our case we just make the potentials even into hopeless by throughing them into garbage and when we want just pick them up for a while and rotating same process. FRUSTRATING process!!!!

To compete international level needs more patients and hardship, and furnish the potentials for long time. Gettting one out of thousands for internatinal level cricket is not so easy, We are not in near to that idea or level of yet as I have realized for last couple of years from our team selections, Thats pretty sad.

What I say is that let those players more chances and give them time to settle up. You will see they will give you fruitfull result at the end of the day..
Old March 10, 2006, 08:59 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Guys,
Are we the only team who employs Strategy? SL did nothing? Don't you think these better teams come harder on the second tests/3rd ODIs if the series is still wide open?

Come on, in two SL 1st innings how many SL batsmen had 50+ runs?

Consistant implementation of the strategy is the key. Eliminating mistakes is the second. I thought we had the implementation part. But our batsmen made some mistakes. Batting wise we had a strategy for sure. But our young guns repeatedly made mistakes. I am not crying foul but how many wrong decision went against us? In two tests if you count, it can be more than 10.

So give it a rest please, and look forward.
Old March 10, 2006, 09:01 AM
First Class Cricketer

There was no justification for playing the youngster rahim in this final test, the guy has been playing ODI for the past 6-7 months( U19 to WC & PRE U19WC matches). If mashud was injured or something i would understand. Personally feel alok should not have been dropped or they should have stuck with rajin atleast, unfair on rahim playing in this match.

Edited on, March 10, 2006, 2:02 PM GMT, by fy288.
Old March 10, 2006, 09:02 AM
ODI Cricketer

It is a catch-22 situation for us. We are only given 2-test series and after the usual first match defeat, everyone is crying for changes. These changes not only affect the players being replaced but also put tremendous pressure on the player(s) replacing them, let alone the pressure, if the player is a 17-year-old. You have one test to do well. You can fail for an umpire’s bad decision or a really good ball or for your own indiscretion. Whatever be the case, you have one chance to prove. That is not at all healthy. I wish we were given 3-test series, but unless our performance gets much better it may not be coming soon. So back to the vicious circle.

Now to the Mushfiq issue. If we understand the gap between U-19 and test match levels why don’t the selectors do? May be they know something else that we don’t. The kid now needs someone to tell him that he will be back, rather than abandoning him. Let him go up the ladder, even if it is at a high speed. But he has to put a foot on each step. I am all in favor of giving him chance against Kenya, though he is not an ODI player, apparently. This will give him international exposure, yet won’t have to face the best off spinner of the world, or a test match at Lords. OK, the selectors wanted to try him so they gave him another chance. If I had been a selector and had so much confidence in him, I would have given him a chance in the first test and continued to the second. I hope that they don't bring him back against Australia.

Since Javed did not perform well, can they not let Rajin open with NI? Rajin is an outstanding fielder and a gutsy batsman. I am assuming they will bring Aftab back in place of Alok (Mushfiq) against Australia. They need to come clear and say whether Aftab was out because of fitness/illness issues or that he is not considered test match material. NI needs to be persisted with. He will come good soon.

I don’t know about you all, but I see lots of positives, though we are surely not there, yet. Ashraful has batted much responsibly in this series. I hope gone are his first ball/over dismissals. Bashar has been good in the test series, but not so much the openers, though we had decent starts. Our bowlers, particularly the pace guys, did a very decent job. They were never thrashed in any of the 4 innings so far. And of course, in many past tests, we did not even get to bowl at the opponents twice. Sad, that our best bowler is always one step away from injury.

I know we all want our team to win a test against a major team. As of now, let’s modify our expectations to realistic levels. And that to me is taking the tests to the 5th day and shooting for respectable draws.
Old March 10, 2006, 09:06 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Quote:
well ravi shastri asked the same question to atahar and atahar said ash bats at number 5 cuz he wants to bat at number 5....

really disappointed at shahriar nafees's performance in this series... I don't know what he was thinking... probably he wanted to repeat bashar and hit murali from the very beginning..... bad choice of shot I must say.... he didn't look at all comfortable....

I never saw musfiq bat before... after this test, I think we should atleast give him couple of years to get himself ready....

Aftab's exclusion didn't make any sense at all... it was a total mistake.... I don't know why selectors did that..... if kapali was dropped after the first test, aftab should've come in..... but i agree everyone deserves more than one chance....

Golla...... man I don't know about this guy..... he doesn't look comfortable at all in the crease... somehow he stays and makes some run..... but his tendency to give catch down the legside is found by most of the team..... fernando was trying to hit that spot and he got him out that way..... its time we think of someone else as opener....

Nafis Iqbal looked good.... he got out to a very good delivery.... i wouldn't complain about him... he is one player that looked comfortable in the crease actually..... good to see him back....
Old March 10, 2006, 09:07 AM
First Class Cricketer

in order to make way for rajin i think one of the nafees needed to be dropped. Omar usually does what is expected of him and that is try to give BD a good start usually by occupying the crease and making at least a 50 opening stand, remenber test cricket is the sort of environment for slow steady players like omar. Maybe rajin and omar could open?
Old March 10, 2006, 09:11 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Quote:
Originally posted by fy288
in order to make way for rajin i think one of the nafees needed to be dropped. Omar usually does what is expected of him and that is try to give BD a good start usually by occupying the crease and making at least a 50 opening stand, remenber test cricket is the sort of environment for slow steady players like omar. Maybe rajin and omar could open?
after this series... i wouldn't dare to move nafis iqbal anywhere...... he looked good and he will score big in the future if he can play like this....
Old March 10, 2006, 11:14 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Rubel, Ashraful, Tamim

Quote:
Originally posted by Sham
what strategy we employed with our batting line-up in this Test series!

Rahim: poor guy, you cant help but feel sorry for him! Scored two runs in two innings and then missed a stumping chance! the guy has actually dont everything right so far as a 17 year old, but the selectors and some of the members of this board are now on a mission to kill his career by throwing him at the deep end before he has the maturity or the first class experience to handle it.

Aftab: i dont even know what to say about his exclusion!

and lastly, the more I see Shahriar Nafees bat, the more I think that he needs to see a batting coach and work on his technique. he is uncomfortable against the short ball and has a tendency to drive without any footwork when he is given a bit of width. definitely not good enough for an opener and i'm not sure whether thats good enough for a middle order batsman at this level either! and his two second innings dismissals were shockers! here is another "typical bd batsman who throws away his wicket at first opportunity" in the making!

Edited on, March 10, 2006, 11:54 AM GMT, by Sham.
Our selectors should read the above.
Old March 10, 2006, 11:56 AM
ODI Cricketer

After following this series closely ,I came to this conclusion that our talented selectors failed to select the right team for any of the ODIs or Tests matches.

This is disturbing me a lot .This is not the way we should select or drop our players.

May be it's time to change our selectors and do something new.
Old March 10, 2006, 12:56 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Rightly said by RazabQ, Dev is not doing things right either.......i would say about his strategies........throughout the series...most of his strategic decisions does not make sense (if he is the one taking the decisions).

1. batting alok at 9 in the 1st odi
2. not playing Javed in the 1st odi
3. batting ash at 5 throughout the test series
4. calling back Alok in tests (dont know why), and giving him only 1 test to prove him
5. playing Mushfiqur Rahim.
6. including two middle order batsman in the squad, Rajin and Aftab and playing a openner in the middle order.
Like to add....

1. Playing Raz in the first ODI
2. Winning toss but taking fielding in third ODI
3. Playing Rana as the super-sub in the third ODI
4. Failing to set attacking field when a new batsman comes.... same fielding set for Tharanga or anyone else.

I think the selectors need to be blamed. They have made enough bad decisions and put the blame on the players.

Edited on, March 10, 2006, 5:57 PM GMT, by esteban_loaiza.
Old March 10, 2006, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
i thought it would've been nice to send ashraful in after we lost the first two wickets in quick succession in the second innings of the second test. shahriar nafees should've been sent later; looks like our management were to keen to stick to the same line-up as the other innings for God knows what reason.

sometimes you gotta change your tactics to accommodate new situations, you know.

Edited on, March 10, 2006, 5:57 PM GMT, by AsifTheManRahman.
Old March 10, 2006, 01:05 PM
Cricket Legend

i cant just never read these selectors.....

In the ODIs agaisnt Kenya they have picked Razzak....if they need 3 left arm spinners.....why not take Enamul??? how they know Razzak is better in ODIs than Enamul?? at least enamul is doing Ok in tests. WHY RAZZAK, WHY NOT ENAMUL??? plz explain
Old March 10, 2006, 01:05 PM
Test Cricketer

I hate Mr. FARUK's GODLY attitude as the selector!!
I want his head off before another series!!!:P

Edited on, March 10, 2006, 6:05 PM GMT, by Dak_Pion.
Old March 10, 2006, 04:19 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Good post from Sham as always. The selectors has really screwed this test series badly. In my mind, they didn't field the best possible side to give us a better chance to compete. Here are my few observations that didn't make any sense to me.

First of all, if you are going to pick Rahim, then you better make sure he is in the team as a wktkeeper/batsman. Can a team like us afford the luxury of two wkt keepers? We were either a batsman or a bowler short in each of the two tests. In the first test, we played Pilot as no.6 ( which he is not, he never was, and worse now since his batting has declined ). We picked Kapali as an allrounder, which was fine, but you have to make sure that he bats at no.6. Same as Aftab if he were to play. In the second test, with Rahim's inclusion, Pilot moved down to no.7 ( correctly ) but we were a bowler short as Rahim came in as a pure batsman. Not a right combination.

I may sound like a broken record by repeating this over and over again. But having Javed Omar at the top is the wrong choice. For the upteenth time he has got out trying to glance to the fine leg. Also, anything outside offstump, and he is fishing, ussually late in his shots with the bat pointing toward gully. You add a little bounce to the deliveries and he is ripe for picking. Ravi Shastri is correct when he says that if this team is for the future then why is he opening? He has no future. We are better off losing without him than with him.

Nafis Iqbal has improved in his batting. He shuffles lot less. Looks more compact and he should play in both version of the game. Shariar Nafees has taken a big step backwards. He has obvious difficulties against quickies. Doesn't move his feet at all and scared of short pitch deliveries. He has been figured out by the opponents.

Aftab- must play every game. Period. He must play at no.5/no.6 against Australia. I had a feeling they were trying to protect him against Murali by not playing him altogether ( as he was kinda lost in the last series ). But that is a wrong attitude to have. How does that help him? He has to play out of his weaknesses. sitting out doesn't do him or us any good. If they are playing a team for future ( with Rahim in it ), then Aftab should also play along with Rajin and Javed should never play anymore. We have to let Rajin play and settle him in at no.4.
Old March 10, 2006, 04:30 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Spitfire_x86
I hope after this series nobody will say that Golla is "reliable" and we need him.

It's time to take my idea of making Aftab test opener seriously.
I realy dont always agree with you. just like the golla thing. Not that he is "reliable" but when in the oppening slot he is the only "RELETIVELY" consistent performer he becomes a relatively "reliable"

and i think I liked the Aftab IDEA. of making him a test opener. but for ODI he can be a great finisher. A person who is batting down the order and not succumbing to the pessure... but to make sure he scores our top order has to score..