facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Closed Thread

Old April 20, 2005, 09:01 AM
Cricket Legend

Default *** Board Rules and Posting Tips ***

Dear Members,

It is a good time to review some basic posting guidelines as we gear up for the matches. First and foremost - a very simple courtesy that we can exercise is to limit the amount of duplicate threads. By this I mean – posting several threads containing the same news or even worse contains the exact same link and news. This is irritating not just for other members who have to take the time to sift through and read all the threads in a page.

Also spare a thought for the Moderators. It is additional work that “takes away” valuable time that could have been spent doing something more productive. We would rather discuss cricket than having to carry out tasks such as merging or deletion.
So to help everyone, here are some simple steps and habits to think about:

As you log in to BC and go to a particular section such as Bangladesh Cricket, quickly look at all the thread titles. Take a minute and ask yourself a few basic questions:

First step:
-Is there any other thread that contains the same link and discussion?
-Is my new thread appropriate for the section, i.e. is it more suitable as a topic in forget cricket or International cricket section?

Second step
-Is the title of my thread misleading/incorrect/confusing or inappropriate.
-Have I included all the necessary links and sources to distinguish it from just another rumour?
-Have I stated clearly when I am making a subjective remark? Admit if it is an opinion. Provide source if you have seen it elsewhere in the net.

Third step
Look at the preview of the post. This is a good feature before hitting the post button that allows you to look at your thread to correct any aesthetic flaws.

Fourth step:
Go in and use the edit tools to clean up any mistakes: spelling; formatting broken links…

All this is a matter of a few minutes but goes a long way to help this forum and in the long run your fellow members will respect you for your care.

Thank you,
Oracle

For the benefit of members, this thread will be open to invite any genuine questions and queries relating to this issue. Unnecessary posts will be deleted.

PS. Please take some time to read the Board Rules, if you have not already done so.

Edited on, November 7, 2005, 6:13 AM GMT, by Arnab.
Reason: Adding link to Board Rules

Old April 20, 2005, 09:15 AM
Cricket Sage

One question Moderator.
Is there any way possible to have cutomize search button somthing like "Check similar topic" in the "New Topic Workflow" so that people who are lazy (like me) can check if there is another thread already opened?

I know there is a genereal Search link and you need extra steps to use it.... at least that search link should pop-up new window, that may help a little bit.
Old April 20, 2005, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Just wondering if it's possible to improve the search option. Right now it just takes in the whole input and searches for it as a single string. For example, it treats "women's world cup updates" in a different way as "Womens World cup updates" (please note the differences in punctuation and caps).

Also - whatever happened to the recent posts option? Somewhere in the line I missed the 4th game on the Aussie tour and don't seem to be able to dig up the thread. It also used to help me be on track when i'd be away for long periods of time.
Old April 20, 2005, 09:40 AM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

i believe a lot of the duplication of thread happens because members checks for an existing thread before start writing. now, opening posts are usually a bit bigger and takes about 1-3 minutes to write. meanwhile, someone else can check the threads, not find any similar and start writing a new thread. then, when finished writing, both will hit "post new topic". and the result is duplicate thread. i know this because it actually happened to me.

question is how to fix it? one way could be to open another browser window and check before hitting the button. but that would be really inconvinient.

you have any suggestion?
Old April 20, 2005, 10:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Taskin Ahmed - TazKing

Newcomers like me also take time to settle in ....so please excuse us if we are offtopic........btw how many moderator are there and who are they? and does anyone write in any newspapers....just curious..... hehe...

Old April 20, 2005, 10:51 AM
Cricket Legend

Today's Posts

If you are posting a new thread...check "Today's Posts" Section. You will find most recent thread there. It's good way to have a quick look at the recent posts and to avoid duplication.

Edited on, April 20, 2005, 3:52 PM GMT, by babubangla.
Old April 20, 2005, 11:00 AM
Test Cricketer

thanks, that should fix it.
Old April 20, 2005, 11:57 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by AgentSmith
.... one way could be to open another browser window and check before hitting the button.
you have any suggestion?
is it possible to make the pages auto refreshed like within 25-45 seconds...like AgentSmith said ..one way could be to open another browser window and check (the refreshed page about the newest posts )before hitting the (PostReply) button.
Old April 20, 2005, 01:09 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by guy_zin
Quote:
Originally posted by AgentSmith
.... one way could be to open another browser window and check before hitting the button.
you have any suggestion?
is it possible to make the pages auto refreshed like within 25-45 seconds...
i like that sugestion and wanted to make that myself. it would be better if pages were refreshed coz then u have to click on refresh everytime u wanna check if there r new posts in a thread ( specially if ur expecting one soon)
Old April 20, 2005, 03:44 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

Thanks for the tips... I didn't even know there was a search button.
Old April 23, 2005, 06:03 PM
Cricket Legend

Fans, please read this thread before you start a new thread.

Specially, all the Whatmore praising and bashing can be done in one thread which would be lot more interesting to read.
Old April 23, 2005, 06:12 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

I agree.. i think i saw over 5 threads that involved Whatmore, his contract and wheter or not he is going to India.
Old May 25, 2005, 10:38 AM
Cricket Legend

Sorry folks if i am interrupting here but the situation warranted a resuscitation of this thread (which i usually do not like doing). There are too many duplicate threads and we need to do something. Let's start with some self discipline.

So take a few minutes to read what we discussed a few months ago. There are going to be many issues to talk about but spare a thought for the forum too.
Old June 11, 2005, 09:00 PM
First Class Cricketer

I do agree about this,,,,,,,,
Old June 12, 2005, 05:43 AM
Street Cricketer

i agree totally peeps should look at what the topic is,i also agree that auto refresh should be brought in to action
Old September 7, 2005, 03:35 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

One of the important feature i did not know was how to link a long link. The Mods helped me and I think every BC member should know this.

"When you open a new thread or edit your own thread you will find some buttons for formatting. Right above the the text area you will get a button which looks like globe (between 'Insert centered text' and 'Insert E-mail Hyper link'). If you click on it, a new small window will come. Put some text on it and click ok( I use 'Web link' as text). Next window will ask you to enter your URL(web link). Just copy paste your link there and press ok. Thats it."

Since this is a posting tip I thought it should be in this thread. Thanks.

Edited on, December 20, 2005, 10:18 PM GMT, by Cats_eye.
Reason: format
Old November 7, 2005, 01:18 AM
Cricket Legend

Default Read me first: Board Rules

The BanglaCricket forums have grown tremendously over the last several years and we thank all of you for being a part of this growing community. Our goal is to maintain a pleasant and welcoming environment for everyone. In order to keep the BanglaCricket forums running well and to prevent problems, please follow these simple rules for the forums here. If you have any questions or problems, please feel free to contact one of the staff or moderators.General Rules for
A.1: Maintaining a civil and courteous forum

• A.1.1: Please maintain both G rated and pleasant reading environment at all times. Do not use words that are generally avoided in front of children and parents out of respect.
  • A.1.2: Please be courteous and respectul to the opposing / differing opinion and never attack a poster. Articulate your own opinion with sound reasoning.
  • A.1.3: Refrain from rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts. Our decision is final in these matters.
  • A.1.4: Avoid posting about your personal hatred toward any country, nationality, race, ethnicity, religion and gender.
  • A.1.5: Avoid posting meaningless threads, one word (or short) non-sense posts, or such.
  • A.1.6: Discussion of illegal activities such as software and music piracy and other intellectual property violations are not allowed.
  • A.1.7: Forum nicks must not be offensive and must be less than 10 characters long.
A.2: Maintain a pleasant reading environment

• A.2.1: Avoid all caps, all bold, excessively large fonts or excessive number of emoticons.
  • A.2.2: Post messages only in Bangla and English.
  • A.2.3: Avoid posting pictures wider than 520 pixels. Put at least one "space" after 10 consecutive emoticons. This helps preserve the forum look and feel.
  • A.2.4: Put long links inside text.
  • A.2.5: Use short and concise subject when possible and do not post replies in the subject line.
  • A.2.6: Follow the signature guidelines
    • Signatures must be limited to no more than 3 lines of text only. Images are not allowed.
    • No special formatting of your text signature is allowed.
    • Explicit advertising is prohibited.
    • Links to external content are allowed unless the content violate BanglaCricket community standards.
    A.3: Do not abuse the forums
  • A.3.1: In addition to the general rules in A.1 and A.2 please refrain from other forms of forum abuse and spams, including
    • Posting only or mostly in the Forget Cricket section
    • Posting one-line posts except for the match threads.
    • Repeatedly posting non-cricket related external items.
    • Posting links to other sites as a form of advertisement.
    • Posting for the sake of bumping threads
  • A.3.2 Do not use forum nicks and avatars that are
    • Offensive and violate our community standards.
    • Used to circumvent the advertisment rules, including using the URL of the site as the nick.
B: Help us maintain a high standard
  • B.1: Please report to the staff and moderators any incidences of abuse of forum rules.
  • B:2: Avoid replying to an offensive post, report it to the moderators instead.
  • B.3: If you disagree with a moderator's action, please U2U moderators for explanation
C: What we may do
  • We reserve the right to remove offensive posts without notice.
  • Violators may be warned privately or publicly.
  • We also reserve the right to ban anyone who willfully violates the forum rules.
  • Administrators' and moderators' decisions are final.
  • Also while these rules cover most common situations, we cannot anticipate everything. Consequently we reserve the right to take any actions we deem appropriate to ensure these forums are not disrupted or abused in any way.
D: Advertising services
  • D.1: We do not allow people to post threads or to send private messages or emails to users here that advertise or solicit any products or services. Explicit advertising in signatures is also prohibited. If you wish to advertise a product please contact us for our advertising rates.
E: Posting messages or announcements on behalf of external sites
  • E.1: Anyone willing to post messages or announcements on behalf of a group or organization must follow the following guidelines:
    • Anyone willing to post message(s) or announcement on behalf of a group, organization(s) including website(s) or another individual must submit it to a moderator. Moderator(s) will review the message(s) and may either post or reject without clarification at their discretion.
    • Submitter must provide his (her) personally identifiable and verifiable personal contact info including but not limited to full legal name, complete and full street address, valid telephone number & email address along with his (her) positional details within the said group or organization.
    • Submitter must provide the full name of the organization, complete and full address of it's operational location and contact details. Both organizational and personal contact info are subjected to be posted along with the message(s). Incomplete submission will not be considered for posting.
    • Submitter must agree to take the full, complete and unconditional liabilities and responsibilities that may arise from posting the message(s) and must not in any way or form held banglacricket (www.banglacricket.com) visitors, members, staff, moderators and administrators liable.
    • Message(s) from political and / or objectionable entities are not allowed. Moderator(s) will decide wheather an organization or group is political and / or objectionable or not.
    • Moderator(s) reserve the right to reject, remove or edit the message(s) anytime at their discretion without any explanation either explicit or implicit.
    • Only the original 'submitter' may request to edit or remove the posted message(s). Other request(s) in this regard will be ignored.
    • Only the Moderator(s) will post such message(s).
    • Moderator(s)'s decisions are absolutely final in all events. Moderators reserve the exclusive right to add, edit or delete the statements put herein at any time.
    • Violation of the above statements, either partial or complete, may result in but not limited to legal actions and remedies to the fullest extent against the violators.
    • Anyone submitting such message(s) will be considered to have read and unconditionally agreed to the statements put herein and Banglacricket Board Rules with amendments if any.
Old February 9, 2006, 05:06 PM
Cricket Legend

some tips i found on the net
http://members.aol.com/intwg/intro.htm

Introduction

The Internet Writing Guide takes about ten minutes to read.

It provides basic information about writing online, so you can:

* Be properly understood
* Get your points across effectively
* Avoid getting anybody annoyed
* Avoid looking like a "beginner" on the net

This guide is written mainly for someone who is new to the net, but there are a few items that may be helpful to experienced users.

Format

One of the first rules you learn when you get online is:

Don't write EVERYTHING IN UPPERCASE!

Mixed-case text is more relaxing to read. See for yourself! HERE IS AN EXAMPLE OF A SENTENCE WRITTEN ENTIRELY IN UPPERCASE!

It may be easier to type that way, but it instantly tells everybody that you are new to the net. Uppercase is sometimes used, when somebody wants to indicate that they are SHOUTING! But few people will read a message that SCREAMS at them.

When typing in a message, break it up into paragraphs. People often skip enormous blocks of text. You do want them to read what you say, don't you?

You should also put a blank line between paragraphs. This makes it easier to read.

Pay close attention to the way experienced people type their messages. You'll notice that they follow the rules mentioned above.

The best way to read the guide is to click on each section (over on the left) in the order they appear. You are now reading the Introduction, so you should read Format next.

I hope you find this guide helpful and enjoyable.

Brevity

Keep it short. There is a lot of information on the net, and when people read what you've written, they want you to get to the point. They're busy, and they simply don't have the time to read a message in which you are "thinking out loud".

Don't just make it up as you go along. Plan ahead.

So before you start to type, think first about what you want to say. Get your ideas straight in your head, and figure out how they all fit together. Then write it in as few words as possible.

Some people actually jot down notes before they type a message online. This helps them figure out what they need to say. Such people usually sound like they know what they're talking about, because their brief statements are never vague.

It's a good idea to use short paragraphs. This forces you to express yourself with a minimum of words. Also, bear in mind that it is harder to read text on a computer screen than in a book. Small paragraphs give the reader's eyes some relief.

Clarity

When you write something, make sure that people will understand you.

After you type in a message -- and before you send it -- try reading it out loud. Sometimes sentences that seem to be okay when you're typing don't really work when you read them back.

Avoid using acronyms. While some of these (such as BTW, which means "by the way") are well known, you can't be sure that all of your readers know what they mean. Net acronyms (BTW, ROFL, IIRC, IMNSHO, IANAL etc.) may seem "hip", but if they confuse the reader, you may not get your point across.

Above all, avoid time-saving contractions, such as "ur" for "your", or "cya" for "see you later". When you use these, you're telling everybody that you can't type well enough to use complete words. Take a typing course if you have to -- it will pay off very well in the years to come!

Note: contractions may be appropriate in "chat" rooms, where fast typing is important. Still, do they save you that much time?

Quoting

This is the longest section in the guide, but it is one of the most important.

Many email and message-board programs let you grab the entire message that another person has written and embed it in your reply. This is known as quoting. This feature, while useful, can actually make it less likely that people will read what you write.

Avoid Me-Tooing

Some people quote a huge message, then place a brief comment at the end, such as "I agree with this!" or "Me, too!" This can be annoying to the person who has to scroll all the way through the message, looking for the part that you wrote. It makes more sense for you to quote only a few important sentences that summarize the message adequately, and place your comment after that.

Actually, simply saying that you agree with something doesn't add much to the conversation. Why not tell people why you agree? You can state some of the reasons that you feel the way you do. This way, you will look like a thoughtful person who thinks carefully about things and considers all the facts.

Avoid Step-Laddering

Sometimes people quote entire messages that contain quotes from earlier messages, which in turn contain quotes from still earlier messages. Messages that contain "quotes in quotes in quotes" are said to be step-laddering.

Step-laddering is a serious problem, because by the time the reader gets to your text, it is not clear what you are commenting on.

Once again, you should extract only a few sentences that accurately represent the topic you are writing about. This saves the reader time, and ensures that the context of your reply is obvious.

Alternate Between Quotes and Your Comments

Sometimes it is not possible to find a few sentences in the original message that clearly convey what the writer was talking about. After all, the message may have covered several different topics. To make your replies more meaningful, alternate between carefully selected quotes and your comments.

Here is an example of selective quoting. The lines that start with the > symbol indicate text taken from the original message:
Quote:
> So I said to him that Mac is better than Windows.

There is a comparison report in this month's issue of "Computer World". It shows that each platform has unique advantages.

> The Mac interface was invented by Apple Computer.

Did you know that the Mac interface was based on a design from the Xerox PARC center?

> Still, Mac's are better than PC's any day.
That really depends on what your application is, don't you think?

In the example above, each comment is directly targeted at a specific comment made by the other person. Don't force your readers to guess at what part of the original message you are talking about.

Why Bother?

There is no question that quoting effectively requires more effort than simply grabbing the entire text of what was written before. However, careful quoting will make your replies more organized, and your thoughts will come across more clearly.

When you use your valuable time to reply to a message, you want people to read and understand what you say. Don't let bad quoting habits make your messages unclear.

Spelling

No matter how clever or intelligent you are, if you spell badly, people will take your words less seriously. That may not be fair, but that's the way it is on the net.

Most computers have one or more spell check programs. Some of them even have spell-checkers built right in to the email or browser software you are using. You owe it to yourself to learn how these work.

When you go to a party or reception, you take the time to make sure that you look your best. Well, people on the net don't know how beautiful you are -- they can only see what you type. So take the time to make sure that what you write makes you look good.

By the way, spell-check programs are not perfect. They tend to miss mistakes like this: "Always right your sentences carefully." So even if you spell-check your text, it's a good idea to read it over before you send it.

Note: The net is available almost everywhere in the world. Sometimes people may appear ignorant or uneducated because of bad spelling. Bear in mind, though, that they may not be writing in their native language.

Manners

There are many ways to get people on the net annoyed at you, even if you are usually a polite person.

The worst problem is something called "keyboard bravery". When you are sitting comfortably in front of your computer, safe from the world, it is often tempting to write a message that is so harshly phrased that it is insulting. Everybody has, at times, felt like writing a scathing message.

The usual explanation for this behavior is, "I'm just telling people what I think!" or "I'm only being honest!" Well, that may be true, but if you are not careful, you can offend somebody, and that can start an argument that benefits nobody.

If you frequently get into nasty debates, you should visit a search engine and look for the word "Netiquette". Much has been written about the importance of behaving diplomatically while online.

You should always read what you have written before you send your message. Not only will this help you spot errors in spelling, phrasing and grammar, but you may also notice that you don't sound as friendly as you would like.
Old March 7, 2006, 12:38 PM
Cricket Legend

Internet Trolls

Copyright © 2001 by Timothy Campbell
Email: trollwatch –at– rogers –dot– com
http://members.aol.com/intwg/trolls.htm
Approximate Reading Time: 7 Minutes
What is a Troll?

An Internet "troll" is a person who delights in sowing discord on the Internet. He (and it is usually he) tries to start arguments and upset people.

Trolls see Internet communications services as convenient venues for their bizarre game. For some reason, they don't "get" that they are hurting real people. To them, other Internet users are not quite human but are a kind of digital abstraction. As a result, they feel no sorrow whatsoever for the pain they inflict. Indeed, the greater the suffering they cause, the greater their 'achievement' (as they see it). At the moment, the relative anonymity of the net allows trolls to flourish.

Trolls are utterly impervious to criticism (constructive or otherwise). You cannot negotiate with them; you cannot cause them to feel shame or compassion; you cannot reason with them. They cannot be made to feel remorse. For some reason, trolls do not feel they are bound by the rules of courtesy or social responsibility.

Perhaps this sounds inconceivable. You may think, "Surely there is something I can write that will change them." But a true troll can not be changed by mere words.
Why Does it Matter?

Some people — particularly those who have been online for years — are not upset by trolls and consider them an inevitable hazard of using the net. As the saying goes, "You can't have a picnic without ants."

It would be nice if everybody was so easy-going, but the sad fact is that trolls do discourage people. Established posters may leave a message board because of the arguments that trolls ignite, and lurkers (people who read but do not post) may decide that they do not want to expose themselves to abuse and thus never get involved.

Another problem is that the negative emotions stirred up by trolls leak over into other discussions. Normally affable people can become bitter after reading an angry interchange between a troll and his victims, and this can poison previously friendly interactions between long-time users.

Finally, trolls create a paranoid environment, such that a casual criticism by a new arrival can elicit a ferocious and inappropriate backlash.

The Internet is a wonderful resource which is breaking down barriers and stripping away prejudice. Trolls threaten our continued enjoyment of this beautiful forum for ideas.
What Can be Done about Trolls?

When you suspect that somebody is a troll, you might try responding with a polite, mild message to see if it's just somebody in a bad mood. Internet users sometimes let their passions get away from them when seated safely behind their keyboard. If you ignore their bluster and respond in a pleasant manner, they usually calm down.

However, if the person persists in being beastly, and seems to enjoy being unpleasant, the only effective position is summed up as follows:

The only way to deal with trolls is to limit your reaction to reminding others not to respond to trolls.

When you try to reason with a troll, he wins. When you insult a troll, he wins. When you scream at a troll, he wins. The only thing that trolls can't handle is being ignored.
What Not to Do

As already stated, it is futile to try to "cure" a troll of his obsession. But perhaps you simply cannot bear the hostile environment that the troll is creating and want to go away for a while.

If you do that, then for the sake of the others on the system, please do not post a dramatic "Goodbye!" message. This convinces the troll that he is winning the battle. There is, perhaps, no message you can write on a message system that is as damaging as an announcement that you are leaving because of the hostility that the troll has kindled.

If you feel you must say something, a discreet message to the system operator (and some of the others users, if you have their email addresses) is the best course of action. Incidentally, if you are writing the letter in an agitated state, it is a good idea to wait an hour and then give it one last review before you actually send it. That might spare you the pain of saying things that you don't really mean to people you like.
Impersonation

One technique used by trolls to generate chaos is to pretend to be a well-liked person. On some systems there is nothing to prevent somebody from signing your name to a distasteful message. On other systems the troll may have to be a bit more wiley, perhaps by replacing one character with another. Here are some examples of various spoofing gimmicks that could be used against a person named Brenda Q. O'Really:
Brenda Q. O"Really Brenda Q. 0'Really Brenda Q O'Really
Brenda Q. O'Rea11y Bredna Q. O'Really 8renda Q. O'Really

Note: "Brenda Q. O'Really" is a made-up name used to illustrate spoofing and is not intended to refer to a particular person.

If you react with anger, the troll wins. So if you see a message impersonating you on a message board, simply write a follow-up reply entitled "That Wasn't Me" and type only this:

I did not write that message; it is a fake.

Of course, sometimes you will find that people who know you well have already identified the message as a fake and have tagged it as such. After all, one of the troll's goals is to make you look bad. If you have a good reputation, people will be tipped off if a message that you apparently wrote is completely out of character.

Trolls have been known to become so irritated at having their spoofs identified that they have learned to write in another person's style. They may end up writing an intelligent message that is indistinguishable from your own golden words. If that happens, you can always just let the post stand and take credit for it!

Trolls will also sometimes write a "That Wasn't Me" message after a genuine one, attempting to elicit a denial. There really is no reason to give him what he wants, since a "That Wasn't Me" warning merely reminds people to be skeptical. That is to say, it is of no real consequence if somebody isn't sure that you wrote a normal message, since in the long run it is the ideas that are important.
The Webmaster's Challenge

When trolls are ignored they step up their attacks, desperately seeking the attention they crave. Their messages become more and more foul, and they post ever more of them. Alternatively, they may protest that their right to free speech is being curtailed — more on this later.

The moderator of a message board may not be able to delete a troll's messages right away, but their job is made much harder if they also have to read numerous replies to trolls. They are also forced to decide whether or not to delete posts from well-meaning folks which have the unintended effect of encouraging the troll.

Some webmasters have to endure conscientious users telling them that they are "acting like dictators" and should never delete a single message. These people may be misinformed: they may have arrived at their opinion about a troll based on the messages they see, never realizing that the webmaster has already deleted his most horrific material. Please remember that a troll does have an alternative if he has something of value to say: there are services on the net that provide messaging systems free of charge. So the troll can set up his own message board, where he can make his own decisions about the kind of content he will tolerate.

Just how much can we expect of a webmaster when it comes to preserving the principles of free speech? Some trolls find sport in determining what the breaking point is for a particular message board operator. They might post a dozen messages, each of which contains 400 lines of the letter "J". That is a form of expression, to be sure, but would you consider it your duty to play host to such a person?

Perhaps the most difficult challenge for a webmaster is deciding whether to take steps against a troll that a few people find entertaining. Some trolls do have a creative spark and have chosen to squander it on being disruptive. There is a certain perverse pleasure in watching some of them. Ultimately, though, the webmaster has to decide if the troll actually cares about putting on a good show for the regular participants, or is simply playing to an audience of one — himself.
What about Free Speech?

When trolls find that their efforts are being successfully resisted, they often complain that their right to free speech is being infringed. Let us examine that claim.

While most people on the Internet are ardent defenders of free speech, it is not an absolute right; there are practical limitations. For example, you may not scream out "Fire!" in a crowded theatre, and you may not make jokes about bombs while waiting to board an airplane. We accept these limitations because we recognize that they serve a greater good.

Another useful example is the control of the radio frequency spectrum. You might wish to set up a powerful radio station to broadcast your ideas, but you cannot do so without applying for a license. Again, this is a practical limitation: if everybody broadcasted without restriction, the repercussions would be annoying at best and life-threatening at worst.

The radio example is helpful for another reason: with countless people having a legitimate need to use radio communications, it is important to ensure that nobody is 'monopolizing the channel'. There are only so many clear channels available in each frequency band and these must be shared.

When a troll attacks a message board, he generally posts a lot of messages. Even if his messages are not particularly inflammatory, they can be so numerous that they drown out the regular conversations (this is known as 'flooding'). Needless to say, no one person's opinions can be allowed to monopolize a channel.

The ultimate response to the 'free speech' argument is this: while we may have the right to say more or less whatever we want, we do not have the right to say it wherever we want. You may feel strongly about the fact that your neighbour has not mowed his lawn for two months, but you do not have the right to berate him in his own living room. Similarly, if a webmaster tells a troll that he is not welcome, the troll has no "right" to remain. This is particularly true on the numerous free communications services offered on the net. (On pay systems, the troll might be justified in asking for a refund.)
Why Do They Do It?

Affirmation.

Regular net users know how delightful it is when somebody responds to something they have written. It is a meeting of the minds, which is an intellectual thrill, but it is also an acknowledgement of one's value — and that can be a very satisfying emotional reward.

Trolls crave attention, and they care not whether it is positive or negative. They see the Internet as a mirror into which they can gaze in narcissistic rapture.

If you want a deeper analysis than that, perhaps a psychologist can shed some additional light on the matter.
Conclusion

Next time you are on a message board and you see a post by somebody whom you think is a troll, and you feel you must reply, simply write a follow-up message entitled "Troll Alert" and type only this:

The only way to deal with trolls is to limit your reaction to reminding others not to respond to trolls.

By posting such a message, you let the troll know that you know what he is, and that you are not going to get dragged into his twisted little hobby.

The Internet is a splendidly haphazard collection of both serious and silly material. Because it is so free, there are bound to be problems. I think that we can best enjoy it if we deal with everything that happens online with a wry grin and a ready shrug.
Old April 19, 2006, 05:16 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Mods
can we have the todays post back on the tool bar? i think that was a great way to see all the new post in all the category in quick now i have to brows and go back and brows again. Please mods please bring back the "TODAYs post"
Thanks
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old April 19, 2006, 05:31 PM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by akabir77
Mods
can we have the todays post back on the tool bar? i think that was a great way to see all the new post in all the category in quick now i have to brows and go back and brows again. Please mods please bring back the "TODAYs post"
Thanks
Well, you can go to your Control Panel ----> Edit Options and modify your settings there atleast for the time being.

Old April 19, 2006, 05:58 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

duhhhh thanks.... but that doesn't cover all the categories.. I mean if want to see what was last post under other sports there is no shortcut way.. and with the todays post i was able to see all the categories latest post at once (with the old system that is)
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old February 15, 2007, 02:17 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mullah, Fizz, SS

thnx for ur tips
Junior
Old August 21, 2007, 06:47 PM

I would like to quote the following bit here, seeing how many new members have recently been bumping the threads with one-liners and emoticon filled one liners that do not contribute much to the thread content and instead dilute thread and forum quality.
A.2: Maintain a pleasant reading environment
  • A.2.1: Avoid all caps, all bold, excessively large fonts or excessive number of emoticons.

• A.3: Do not abuse the forums
  • A.3.1: In addition to the general rules in A.1 and A.2 please refrain from other forms of forum abuse and spams, including
    • Posting only or mostly in the Forget Cricket section
    • Posting one-line posts except for the match threads.
    • Repeatedly posting non-cricket related external items.
    • Posting links to other sites as a form of advertisement.
    • Posting for the sake of bumping threads
Please read through all the Forum Rules and consider them before posting or starting new threads.
Old January 1, 2008, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Bumping Threads
The practice of posting to a pre-existing forum thread for the sole purpose of bringing it back to the top of the forums is called "bumping" an activity typically frowned upon. While you can surely reply to your own thread when you have something of note to add, posting words such as *bump* or “Is someone going to response to this?” is of little use to anyone and considered an act of “bumping.” Moderators consider "excessive" bumping the same as spamming, and violators will be subject to the same sanctions as spammers.
Closed Thread