facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

View Poll Results: Generally speaking, how do you like your steak cooked?
Rare 1 5.88%
Medium Rare 7 41.18%
Medium 5 29.41%
Well Done 4 23.53%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 1, 2012, 08:27 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin
Thumbs up *** The Definitive Beefsteak Thread ***

Favorite Cuts: AGED Sirloin and nowadays (thanks Zunaid), Ribeye.

Cooked: Always medium rare, but occasionally medium.

Seasoning: Dry rubbed with sea salt, cracked roasted black peppercorns and star anise, sweet paprika, fresh garlic and olive oil.

Glaze: Texas BBQ or Teriyaki.

Favorite sides: Sauteed Chanterelles and Porcinis, grilled onions, fried eggs, sauteed baby carrots, seasoned avocados, grilled tomatoes, rice pilaf, creamed spinach, roasted and buttered potatoes, shoestring potatoes and French bread.

"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Old September 1, 2012, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Favorite Cuts: Ribeye, T-Bone/Porterhouse (from the short AND tenderloin), New York Strip (from the short loin)

Cooked: Always medium rare, never more, but occasionally rare

Seasoning:
  • Lots of crushed garlic, cracked pepper, sea salt, crushed coriander (almost essentially Montreal steak seasoning)
  • Lots of crushed garlic, cracked pepper, sea salt, and Worcestershire sauce
Glaze: NEVER

Favorite sides: More steak, sitr-fried al dente asparagus, sauteed portabella mushrooms, horseradish sauce, salad with blue cheese dressing, steamed vegetables

Old September 1, 2012, 08:50 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

medium rare maney ki adha kacha? Apnader shatey khaitey galey pepto niya ber hoitey hobay!!
Old September 1, 2012, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Favorite Cuts: Sirloin, Rib-eye, NY strip

Cooked: Always rare, never above

Seasoning:
Salt & Pepper

Glaze:
What''s glaze?

Favorite sides:
Sauteed portabella, buttered mashed potatoes, asparagus

Verdict: Best thread E.V.E.R.
Old September 1, 2012, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Blue-rare: cold raw center
Rare: cold red center; soft
Medium-rare: warm red center; firmer
Medium: pink and firm
Medium Well: small amount of pink in the center
Well done: killed

Old September 1, 2012, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
medium rare maney ki adha kacha? Apnader shatey khaitey galey pepto niya ber hoitey hobay!!
Well done steaks are a tad bit carcinogenic. And also tastes like military boot leather.
Old September 1, 2012, 10:09 AM
Cricket Savant

I reckon many Bangalis perceive steaks as some sort of kabab, and therefore kabaify the F-out of a perfectly good piece of steak with over-marination and overcooking. Carpaccio (be it Italian, Ethiopian, Lebanese, Syrian or Nepali) isn't a taste most wish to acquire. I think they're missing something.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old September 1, 2012, 10:32 AM
Cricket Savant

Thumbs up Kobe Beef

Quote:
Kobe beef (神戸ビーフ Kōbe bīfu?) refers to cuts of beef from the black Tajima-ushi breed of Wagyū cattle, raised according to strict tradition in Hyōgo Prefecture, Japan. The meat is generally considered to be a delicacy, renowned for its flavour, tenderness, and fatty, well-marbled texture. Kobe beef can be prepared as steak, sukiyaki, shabu shabu, sashimi, teppanyaki. and more.

Kobe beef is also called Kobe niku (神戸肉?, "Kobe meat"), Kobe-gyu (神戸牛?) or Kobe-ushi (神戸牛?, "Kobe cow") in Japanese.

Despite many American beef products being labeled Kobe, authentic Japanese Kobe beef is not available for sale anywhere outside Japan, with the exception of Macau and Hong Kong.

History

The Tajima cattle that produce this highly prized meat were introduced into Japan in the second century as work animals, used in rice cultivation. The mountainous topography of the islands of Japan resulted in small regions of isolated breeding, yielding herds that developed and maintained qualities in their meat that differ significantly from all other breeds of cattle. Herd isolation and distinctive feeding techniques, which resulted from the limited land availability, have led to distinguishing features that make the meat both superior in marbling and in the ratios of unsaturated versus saturated fats.

The cattle are fed on grain fodder and brushed sometimes for setting fur. The Kobe beef marketing and distribution promotion association plans to make available a pamphlet in foreign languages with details about Kobe beef due to ambiguities about what actually constitutes Kobe beef, and because many tourists who visit Japan request information about the product. The melting point of fat of Kobe beef (Tajima cattle) is lower than common beef fat.

"Kobe-style" beef

The massive increase in popularity of Kobe beef in the United States has led to the creation of "Kobe-style" beef, taken from domestically raised Wagyū crossbred with Angus cattle, to meet the demand. Farms in America and Britain have attempted to replicate the Kobe traditions, providing their Wagyū herds with beer. US meat producers claim any differences between their less expensive "Kobe-style" beef and true Kobe beef are largely cosmetic. The cattle are fed American and/or British grass and grain, which is different from the more expensive Japanese feed. Cuts of American "Kobe-style" beef tend to have darker meat and a bolder flavor.

READ MORE
Old September 1, 2012, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

No one else likes their steak rare?
Old September 1, 2012, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
I do about half he time depending on the quality of the beef and the restaurant.
Old September 1, 2012, 11:53 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

I 'll have that "medium well" a little pink in centre, I like that first pic by Zunaid sir,what is that? med rare?

man, there is something cricketic about a cows meat I learned today thanks to Sohel bhai.

Rib reminds me of a batsman's rib cage.
Some parts sound like cricket shots or field setting, Shortline,Top/Bottom Sir(Ash)-line, and then "Tendu-line" :/
Old September 1, 2012, 12:22 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:

Verdict: Best thread E.V.E.R.
Disagree.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old September 1, 2012, 01:26 PM
Banned

I don't eat beef at all. The quickest way to become fat and have aheart attack is to eat beef.

I prefer dumbaa though ( Only the knowledgable Sohel bhai will know what I am talking about )
Old September 1, 2012, 02:13 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

Sohel bhai bangladeshis don't think steak is a kebab, they think it's a 'chaap'

I can't eat rare, just a mental block for me, I normally have medium rare, and if forced to will have a medium.

But no chance I'll have a well done steak, no tenderness, no juices...unfortunately many well reputed restaurants and chefs in bangladesh also seem reluctant to give you anything less than a well done steak when you order.

I've returned steaks at 6-7 places in bangladesh.

Finally the question of glaze, I always felt with steak, less was more...so initial seasoning and nothing else. Don't want anything taking attention away from that beautiful piece of meat.

Sides: love roasted veggies(boring I know...but there you are)
Old September 1, 2012, 02:35 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis
I don't eat beef at all. The quickest way to become fat and have aheart attack is to eat beef.

I prefer dumbaa though ( Only the knowledgable Sohel bhai will know what I am talking about )
Dumbaa so you're talking about sheep...f- that. That's basically mutton, I'll give you lamb chops but nothing from a fully mature animal.
Old September 1, 2012, 03:16 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

I've had up to medium-rare...but it wasn't as red as the picture above. Usually I get medium.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old September 1, 2012, 03:17 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

My favorite meat though is lamb...you can cook lamb chops like a steak and it tastes just the same, maybe better!

Anyone have the nutrient info of lamb vs beef by equivalent cuts?

#OneTeam1Dream
Old September 1, 2012, 06:10 PM
Banned

My favourite meat has to be camel meat. Don't go for a buira camel though.
Old September 1, 2012, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis

Dumba is the stinkiest type of sheep you'll ever half. I had the misfortune of trying it in karachi once. Never again. For those who do not know - dumba is also known as a fat-tailed sheep.
Old September 1, 2012, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
My favorite meat though is lamb...you can cook lamb chops like a steak and it tastes just the same, maybe better!

Anyone have the nutrient info of lamb vs beef by equivalent cuts?
Untrimmed lamb generally has 20/30% more fat/calories than beef. However, as beef is more marbled, if you trim lamb then you may end up with less fat. Since this does not happen much in our deshi cooking style, you can draw your own conclusions.
Old September 1, 2012, 11:50 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
I love rare with really tender cuts of meat. Love Carpaccio, Kitfo and other raw and cured beef preparations also. But prefer Rib Eyes and Sirloins medium rare because I like the rubbed seasoning to char a little and catch the glaze.
Old September 1, 2012, 11:58 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6_Turbo
Sohel bhai bangladeshis don't think steak is a kebab, they think it's a 'chaap'

I can't eat rare, just a mental block for me, I normally have medium rare, and if forced to will have a medium.

But no chance I'll have a well done steak, no tenderness, no juices...unfortunately many well reputed restaurants and chefs in bangladesh also seem reluctant to give you anything less than a well done steak when you order.

I've returned steaks at 6-7 places in bangladesh.

Finally the question of glaze, I always felt with steak, less was more...so initial seasoning and nothing else. Don't want anything taking attention away from that beautiful piece of meat.

Sides: love roasted veggies(boring I know...but there you are)
Chaap it is

I've given up on restaurant steaks in this country. Usually can't even get a medium here, but I've had decent but grossly overpriced medium rare steaks at the Westin and Ruposhi Bangla (soon to be the Intercon again after all these years) after making the waiter take down detailed instructions. Also love the Kobe steak at Izumi. They claim it's imported from HK.

I love glazes and use them just to lightly coat the crust, not sauce the steak. That adds just the right amount of zingy sweetness I love.
Old September 8, 2012, 10:23 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

I like it medium well. Once in a blue moon would have it medium rare but never anything less or more. The only place that can cook steak well done that is still juicy is Ruth Chris's steakhouse.
Old September 10, 2012, 07:14 PM
Cricket Guru

I'm not a fan of beef and I rarely ever eat steak. I don't like eating meat which looks pink inside.. puts me off the food. But then again well done steak is horrible to eat. So I just don't eat steak :P.

Everyone else seems to enjoy it a lot...i'm just a weirdo..i suppose :S ahaha
Old September 11, 2012, 11:43 AM
Club Cricketer

A thumb rule for the cook