facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

View Poll Results: This Thread is:
Can become somewhat interesting 8 72.73%
Ajaira 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 20, 2012, 07:07 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin
Default ***the definitive faceplam thread***

Ever since its introduction here in BC, the "" emoticon has become a member favorite. It is definitely one of mine and deserves a thread of its own INSHO.

So, why don't you post a -worthy piece of news or quotation followed by an appropriately posted from the Internet?

I'll start (and we thought our politicians are morons).

Quote:
Todd Akin On Abortion: 'Legitimate Rape' Victims Have 'Ways To Try To Shut That Whole Thing Down'

VIDEO

Rep. Todd Akin (R-Mo.) justified his extreme opposition to abortion by claiming that victims of "legitimate rape" rarely get pregnant.

In an interview with KTVI-TV on Sunday, the GOP Senate nominee was asked if he supported abortion in the case of rape.

"From what I understand from doctors, that's really rare," said Akin said of pregnancy caused by rape. "If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down. But let's assume maybe that didn't work or something. I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be on the rapist."

Akin won a three-way primary on Aug. 7 for the rights to a November battle against incumbent Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.). McCaskill was "stunned" by Akin's Sunday comments.

LINK
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Old August 20, 2012, 07:13 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Oops, wrong section!

Needs to be moved to FC.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old August 20, 2012, 07:15 AM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

^^ big time

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)
Old August 20, 2012, 09:14 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

What is 'legitimate rape' ?
Old August 20, 2012, 09:19 AM
Cricket Savant

Looks like The Sohel is leading the way.

Quote:
***the definitive faceplam thread***

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old August 20, 2012, 10:45 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naimul_Hd
What is 'legitimate rape' ?
better ask SaKa
Old August 20, 2012, 01:48 PM
Cricket Guru

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-19315210
Old August 20, 2012, 11:51 PM
Club Cricketer

http://io9.com/5936157/the-real-scie...t-get-pregnant

statistics speak :p
Old August 21, 2012, 01:16 AM
Cricket Savant

Ashraful et al

Old August 21, 2012, 09:20 AM
Cricket Sage

A mass email got sent out by the director of operation telling everyone in the building (1500+ people) that the parking garage gets filled, so be careful not to park illegally and follow all the other rules in the garage. The email was sent by the director's assistant. Some moron who's only been working here for couple years decides to hit reply all and cc the director saying, the first floor is always 50% empty just an FYI. The first floor is reserved only for the 'Elites'. I'm like what a moron. An hour goes by another guy who's been here since 2011 hits reply all again and cc the director and writes well if you don't like it quit. Double face palm. I'm looking forward to see who will reply next.
Old August 21, 2012, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Mass email chains can get way out of hand and fast. I don't know what people's deal is - if an email isn't meant for you and was clearly sent in error, why bother spamming the entire company by hitting reply all when you can just ignore it? Then you have others ironically asking people to not hit reply all on the thread and even that goes on forever. Absolute chaos, massacre.
Old August 21, 2012, 12:39 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

To add a little insult to your response to the "reply-all" offenders, you can reply to all with the word "unsubscribe". That should be sufficient to tell them that you're not fond of their useless emails.
Old August 21, 2012, 04:36 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Al Jazeera has facepalm moments from time to time.

For instance, this recent news item regarding Ancient Mosques in Bangladesh: http://www.aljazeera.com/video/asia/...948844588.html

I admit that I was taken in by the idea that a 7th cent. mosque may have been discovered and was concerned that it would not be maintained properly by the Government but as a friend more learned than me in history and archaeology pointed out, this news report has a number of historical aberrations:

First of all, the Al Jazeera report and the speech made by Tim Steel in 2010 to the BD Asiatic Society regarding his view of trade centres in South Asia, do not provide any evidence whatsoever that the mosque is from the seventh century. It is possible that the mosque is from the Sultanate period but again, there has been no prior evidence of this and Dr. Perween Hasan's extensive study on the book - the most authoritative text till date - does not mention any Sultanate mosque north of Gaibandha.

This is even looking beyond the mere fact that it's incredibly unlikely that a mosque, in such a familiar form, would have appeared in the sub-continent so soon after the Prophet's (pbuh) death.

Secondly, and this is something that I missed completely, the Arabic script is apparently cursive and in a style that was very different from the Arabic of the 7th century. The bricks, etc. that Tim Steel shows in the above video means nothing for that very reason.

Thirdly and I think most persuasively, there are considerations that need to be made about who Tim Steel is and why he chose to promote such an issue. It is a stretch of the imagination to even call him an 'amateur archaeologist'. He is an adviser to many tourism boards, including Tiger Tours BD. Hardly seriously academic and/or archaeological credentials. Furthermore, he clearly has a vested interest in creating a unique niche for Bangladesh - which he even admits in this 'Frankly Speaking' interview at 3:26: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybXZM...feature=relmfu

TL;DR: Distorting history for the sake of private business
Not recognizing such distortion
Not caring about such distortion
Old August 22, 2012, 01:02 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

That mega facepalm moment when the knowledgeable immigration officers at HASINA holds my French guest back citing, ' bhai, uni to african !!'

I went to receive a very important business client at the airport on 21st early morning and while waiting for my guest at the arrival gate, got a call from the duty immigration officer who delays to issue the on arrival visa because the guy 'looks like African so he must be from Africa' even though he is a French citizen and holds a French passport !!

I then went inside the airport in the immigration section to talk to the duty in charge to inform him about the magnitude of work he is here for and the issue was resolved, but can't believe this idiots actually controls our border.

Europeans are white, but this guy is black !! So he must be from Africa
Old August 22, 2012, 01:12 AM
Cricket Savant

^^^^I literally laughed out loud at that comment by the immigration officer. Reminds me some comments at our friendly desi gathering:

• aunty A: apa, apnara koi maach, pangaash maach kotha theke kinen?
    aunty B: keno, bochader dokan theke...
  • uncle : to south africay koi bosor chila jesaan.. (that mispronounciation itself calls for a facepalm)
    me: eito tin bochor
    uncle : ki, okhane ki negroo ra khub beshi na?

Old August 22, 2012, 01:14 AM
MLC World Series I

Uncle: "Why on earth do you support Real Madrid? Support Barcelona, they're the champions and wins everything!... Messi is the best"

Me: "Yeah the thing is we're the champions not Barcelona. And name any player other than Messi!"

Uncle: ""

Effing bandwagoners.
Old August 22, 2012, 01:20 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz
That mega facepalm moment when the knowledgeable immigration officers at HASINA holds my French guest back citing, ' bhai, uni to african !!'

Old August 22, 2012, 06:04 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

somewhere in Paris,

An uncle to another uncle :

Uncle: ভাই , এই Perish( Paris) এর টয়লেট গুলা এত ছোট কেন ? বসলে আর উঠা যায়না , ঠিক ভাবে হুচনের ও জায়গা পাই না .
Old August 22, 2012, 08:00 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

Quote:

I went to receive a very important business client at the airport on 21st early morning and while waiting for my guest at the arrival gate, got a call from the duty immigration officer who delays to issue the on arrival visa because the guy 'looks like African so he must be from Africa' even though he is a French citizen and holds a French passport !!

I then went inside the airport in the immigration section to talk to the duty in charge to inform him about the magnitude of work he is here for and the issue was resolved, but can't believe this idiots actually controls our border.

Bunch of idiots. Your friend/client wasn't impressed I suppose
Old August 22, 2012, 12:22 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
So I guess this level of ignorance is in our people too.

While it's not funny that it happened to your client, you can see this sort of thing elsewhere too. Not exactly the same thing, but the level of ignorance in any culture doesn't fail to surprise me from time to time.

Once I've been detained at the US border for a business trip I was making. The office went on and on about the unemployment issue in the US, and how Canadian engineers are happy with a $35k pay and will jump on that job any time...and not Americans. That's like a double face palm comment right there!
Old August 22, 2012, 12:53 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovik
Bunch of idiots. Your friend/client wasn't impressed I suppose
After a 13 hours flight, you don't really get amused being the only guy stranded at the airport because of the colour of your skin, and it is not racism but simply utter ignorance and he knew that.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old August 22, 2012, 01:06 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
So I guess this level of ignorance is in our people too.
The level of ignorance is quite alarming.

Let me give you another example of Immigration moment.

I was traveling to Europe early this year with my wife and naturally had 'Schengen' visa. The officer at the booth didn't know what Schengen meant and when he asked another officer who just happen to come to his booth for some other purpose, the reply was ' arey, eita Europe er ekta desh. Seal maira den'

Then the guy asks me, ' bhai, apnar to business visa, bhabire kon visae dimu' ??
Me : 'Den bhai, diya den tourist visa'r under e'
Officer: '' Thik ase bhai, diya dilam'

Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old August 22, 2012, 01:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Then the guy asks me, ' bhai, apnar to business visa, bhabire kon visae dimu' ??
Me : 'Den bhai, diya den tourist visa'r under e'
Officer: '' Thik ase bhai, diya dilam'

"bhai ojone kom diyen na, dari palla ta ektu ucha koren" - sounds like an appropriate line after this....
Old August 22, 2012, 02:14 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

^^ the way the officer was talking, it did feel like a kacha bazaar rather than immigration check point at an international airport.
Old August 22, 2012, 08:18 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:

Doesn't matter bro...only Arabs are racists, Bangali ra to ferestha!

#OneTeam1Dream