facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Closed Thread

Old February 17, 2005, 06:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Analysis of Bangla Cricket Forum Membership (2005 thread)

[The following is an informal analysis of Bangla Cricket Forum Membership as of 16 February 2005 3:30PM US Central Time.]

We all share our ideas, we argue with each other, we form our common voice…this all happens in Bangla Cricket Forum. Members communicate with each other everyday. They do debate on cricket issue. They come to a consensus on different thing—all those without knowing almost nothing about each other. This becomes possible because we all have a common bond among us—Cricket of Bangladesh. We love cricket and we all want to see success of Bangladesh Cricket Team. This common dream and desire bind us together here in our mighty forum in BanglaCricket.com.

Members are the heart of this ever expanding forum. I just wanted to do an informal analysis of its membership body. There is nothing serious about it. It’s just an effort to understand the membership community of the forum by giving a closer look at the forum membership database.

Please Manage Me!!
There are total 1298 members at the Bangla Cricket Forum. Out of the total members, 2 are Super Administrator, 3 are Administrator, 2 are Super Moderator, 4 are Moderator, 1258 are Active Member and 29 are Banned Member. So, there are 11 persons involved in managing a membership body of 1287. It spells out that there is 1 admin person for each 117 member. On percentage count, 0.84% of the total members are involved in forum management and the rest 99.16% are there to be managed!!

Who is the Big-Daddy?
As mentioned earlier, there are 11 admin people in this forum. Out of this 11 admin guys, 7 are Cricket Legend, 2 are Test Cricketer, 1 is ODI Cricketer, and 1 is Street Cricketer. One interesting thing!! There is 1 big-daddy in the admin don’t have a single post in the forum!!! IMF-World Bank type behind the scene big-daddy, I guess!!

Among these 11 members admin body, 6 registered in 2002, 4 in 2003 and just 1 registered in 2004. Among the admin guys, the earliest registration date is June-2002 and the latest registration is January-2004. The admin guy who registered in June-2002 is also the first-ever member of the forum.

In total, 29,316 messages are posted by the admin people. This is almost 21% of the total messages. Believe it or not—admin people consists of only 0.84% of total members, but they posts more than one-fifth of the total messages. God Damn!! These guys can write!!!
On an average, admin guys posted 2665 messages each. Actually the average should be 2932—don’t forget one of the admin has “zero” posts.

Up to the cut-off date of this analysis (16 February, 3:30PM CST), it has been 974 days since the first member registered at the forum. So, the admin posted 30 messages per day which accounts for around 3 messages per day per admin. Fair enough!! All admin shared the hard work of managing this ever increasing forum job equally---except for the “lazy” admin who has “0” posts!!

As of location, 9 of the 11 admin guys have listed their location. It shows that 4 are from USA, 2 from Canada, and 1 each from India and Bangladesh. As always, USA is the Home of all big-daddy!!

Writing!! Writing!!
140.717 messages have been posted to this forum. So, on an average, each member posted 108 messages. 974 days have gone since beginning of the forum. This means 144 messages are posted on this forum everyday, 6 per hour!! If the admin charged us 10 cents for each message, they could have earned more than $14,000 by now!!

Story of the Bad Boys
As mentioned earlier, there are 29 banned members at the forum which counts for 2.23% of total members and 2.25% of the non-management members. There are 11 admin people at the forum. So each admin big-daddy got the pleasure of kicking out 2.64 bad boys.

Up to the cut-off date (16 February, 3:30PM CST) of this study, there were 140,717 messages posted in this forum. So, for each 4852 messages, a member got in trouble and got admitted in the bad-boys club.

Total 2084 messages were posted by the banned members. This accounts for 1.5% of the total messages in the forum. Highest number of message posted by a banned member is 752. Funny thing is 5 members were banned before posting a single message!!! I guess some people are bad since birth!!!! 19 of the 29 bad-boys got banned with less than 5 messages on board beside their name.

Of the 29 banned members, 23 were Street Cricketer, 2 were Club Cricketer, 3 were First Class Cricketer, and just 1 was ODI Cricketer. See, you can’t go far being bad!!

Of the 29 banned members (bad-boys!!), 3 of them registered at the forum in 2003, 21 registered in 2004 and the rest 5 registered in 2005. Another interesting fact is that 3 of the banner members joined the forum on May-2004, 4 joined June-2004, and 7 joined in July-2004. So there was a big flow of bad boys in the forum during a single quarter--May-July’2004.

Judging from the last activity date of the banned members, 6 were banned in 2005, 21 were banned in 2004 and 2 were banned in 2003. Highest 8 were banned in July-2004. Other highest monthly banning rate was: 4 in August-2004 and 4 in December-2005. Out of total 29 banned members, 12 was banned in July-August' 2004. May be they lost their cool in the hot weather of summer!!!!

7 of the banned members have listed there location at the forum. Among this 7 banned members, 2 from England, 2 from Kuwait and 1 each from Bangladesh, India, and Russia. Although 22 of the 29 members did not list their location, it’s funny to see none of location-listed banned members are from USA. Oh my lord, USA is good!! God bless America!!

There is something about Members

There are 1298 members. Among them, 15 are Cricket Legend, 21 are Test Cricketer, 40 are ODI Cricketer, 68 are First Class Cricketer, 131 is Club Cricketer, and the rest 1023 are Street Cricketer. “Um Jonota” is always the majority!!

Out of 1298 members, only 175 listed their e-mail address and 162 listed their webpage in the forum which accounts for 13% and 12% respectively of the total members of the forum.

414 members listed their location in profile which account for 32% of the total membership. Out of this 414 member, highest 130 are from USA and England comes in second with 58. Based on the members who listed their location, the following is the detail list of country representation at the forum: Australia: 36, Austria: 1, Bangladesh: 51, Canada: 49, Central Africa: 1, China: 5, Denmark: 2, England: 58, Finland: 2, Germany: 7, Hungary: 1, India: 9, Ireland: 1, Italy: 1, Japan: 14, Kuwait: 2, Luxembourg: 1, Malaysia: 1, Nepal: 1, Netherlands: 1, New Zealand: 4, Norway: 1, Pakistan: 3, Philippines: 2, Romania: 1, Russia: 4, Saudi Arabia: 4, Scotland: 2, Singapore: 2, South Africa: 1, Sri Lanka: 2, Sweden: 5, Switzerland: 1, Thailand: 1, Turkey: 1, UAE: 3, USA: 130, West Indies: 3.

Among the member, 66 registered in 2002, 186 in 2003, 744 in 2004, and within just mid-February, 302 registered in 2005. Membership having a Big Boom!! After all, this forum deals with Bangladesh Cricket. Whenever anything relates to Bangladesh, ever increasing population is common feature I guess!! To be serious, it certainly shows how cricket in Bangladesh advancing these days.

Big population is an asset, but “lazy” population is not. We have a lot of “lazy” member in the forum too. Out of 1298 total members, 831 of them have less than 10 posts by their name. That means 64% of the members has less than 10 posts. Out of these 831 less-active members, 766 of them have 5 or less posts. This means 59% of the forum members posted 5 or less times in the 2 Year 9 Month Life time of this forum. Want a closer look? Out of total 1298 members, 178 of them have just 1 post by their name. I’m not done yet!! 389 member of this forum never posted a message!!!! This accounts for 30% of the total members of the forum. So, 30% people of this forum are just Observers. So, Coach Richard McInnes (who goes by name Observer in the forum), you are not alone and seems like you have a lot of followers behind you!!!

Less put some more focus on this inactive membership population of the forum. Out of these 389 members, 11 registered in 2002, 57 in 2003, 242 in 2004 and the rest 79 registered this year till mid-February. A lot of people did not talk ever in the forum for couple of years!! Did you guys forget us???

Let’s move on to the membership growth rate. 66 signed up in 2002, 186 signed up in 2003 (Yearly Growth Rate: 282%), 744 signed up in 2004 (Yearly Growth Rate: 295%) and 302 joined this year by mid-February which reflects 30% increase of membership than the previous year.

What motivates people to join the forum? Let’s examine whether there is any relation between cricketing event and forum membership. People are joining at this forum at different rate every month since the forums inception 33 months ago. Out of these 33 moths, there are 8 months when more than 50 people joined at the forum. These are as follows: 96 in February-2004, 56 in March-2004, 94 in May-2004, 91 in July-2004, 60 in September-2004, 107 in December-2004, 247 in January-2005 and 55 by mid of February-2005. Now let’s see what was going on in these 8 high-membership months:

February-2004: Bangladesh was in Zimbabwe and U-19 World Cup took place at home.
March-2004: Bangladesh was continuing their tour of Zimbabwe.
May-2004: Bangladesh was facing West Indies in overseas tour.
July-2004: Bangladesh was playing at the Asia Cup in Sri Lanka.
September-2004: Bangladesh was playing at the ICC Champions Trophy in England, December-2004: 107: Bangladesh was playing against India at home.
January-2005: Bangladesh was playing home series against Zimbabwe
February-2005: I guess membership was still booming as an after-effect of Bangladesh’s series win against Zimbabwe.

So, all those stats show that there is an active relationship between Bangladesh Cricket Team and Membership increase at the Bangla Cricket Forum. We may conclude by saying that people want to share their cricket thoughts and celebrate during cricket matches of Bangladesh by joining Bangla Cricket Forum.

It is good to see that day by day, Bangla Cricket became a place for Bangladesh Cricket fans to express theirs cricket thoughts, celebrate success of Bangladesh Team and to get comfort of companionship during the dreadful days of heartbreaking performances. We are all happy to have Bangla Cricket beside us!!

Old February 17, 2005, 06:34 PM
Cricket Legend

Can someone please read that whole thing and write me a gist! Thanks!
Old February 17, 2005, 06:40 PM
Cricket Legend

Whoa! So much rigorous analysis! What for?
Old February 17, 2005, 06:45 PM
Cricket Sage

Gist is (I guess) due to growth of BC, there are so many members and so few mods.

In other words babubangla wants to be a mod so that he can ban some of us.:P
Old February 17, 2005, 06:47 PM
Cricket Legend

I'm a Finance major, now attending a 3-day Nanotechnology Research Conference. Guess how bored am I !! Spent first 2 days of the conference nicely writing this long thing. God knows what I am gonna do tomorrow at the 3rd of the conference!!! I shouldn't have finished it so early!!
Old February 17, 2005, 06:48 PM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally posted by Fazal
Gist is (I guess) due to growth of BC, there are so many members and so few mods.

In other words babubangla wants to be a mod so that he can ban some of us.:P
Spot on.:P
Old February 17, 2005, 06:50 PM
Test Cricketer

He's bored certainly. Very innovative way to bore other people too!

*claps*
Old February 17, 2005, 06:59 PM
Test Cricketer

god, so long.
Old February 17, 2005, 09:26 PM
BC Editorial Team

Babu, conference ta kothay? Berkeley te?
Old February 17, 2005, 09:48 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

damn....got to thank babu for such a long post... he gave me an opportunity to take a long needed nap...
Old February 17, 2005, 09:49 PM
BC Editorial Team

Brilliant, sir, brilliant

Couple of comments about 'banned members' :

1. You mentioned that there were some who were banned before posting any messages. The more likely thing is that there posts were also deleted when they were banned.

2. There are some people who were banned multiple times. There was a mamber who used names like mahbub/misal etc and ofcourse Amit.

>> God knows what I am gonna do tomorrow at the 3rd of the conference!!!

Maybe you can note down the numbers of the trains that pass by the window
Old February 17, 2005, 09:57 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Bossman, Imran Khan, Viv

If I was bored in solitary confinement in a jail, I still wouldn't write what you have written.

I don't think even one reader can read the whole post.

I am sure you will be a very rich man soon.
Old February 17, 2005, 10:15 PM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

The lazy admin is me.. Raj is a test nick, I use it to test out modifications on the forum. Its like a guinipig.
Old February 17, 2005, 10:16 PM
Test Cricketer

You sure have a lot of time in your hands. Interesting though.
Old February 17, 2005, 11:34 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শাï¿

WHOA ... Am I a freak for actually enjoying that ?
Old February 17, 2005, 11:36 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Tehsin bhai, I enjoyed it too

Great stuff from babubangla.
Old February 17, 2005, 11:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Okay, it took me three go\'s

but, I have managed to read the whole thing. And yes, I enjoyed it too. Good stuff!
Old February 18, 2005, 12:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by razabq
Babu, conference ta kothay? Berkeley te?
There is all sorts of people in this forum...even nano scientists?? I'm not gonna tell you where I'm cutting my slack!! If I tell you, you will just report straight it to Paul Alivisatos.:duh::duh:
Old February 18, 2005, 02:15 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by tehsin
WHOA ... Am I a freak for actually enjoying that ?
No you're not.
Old February 18, 2005, 05:24 AM
First Class Cricketer

Default Great analysis

Great analysis by babubangla! Really a very good one. Admins related to management of the forum should have plenty of food for thought out of this analysis. I read it word by word with interest. Btw, is babubangla a univ. prof. or researcher?
Old February 18, 2005, 05:32 AM
Cricket Legend

I think he is bored and utilizing his creative energy in really worthwhile projects. And also, fortunately, he is not a nanoscientist.
Old February 18, 2005, 05:50 AM
Club Cricketer

Nice post. Take a bit of effort to write such a thing. and Yes I have read it fully. I have joined during Bangladesh-Zim test and it sure is companionship that prompted me to join. Also at work I am not stretched and spend large amount of time following Bangladesh cricket. This is the right platform for me.
Old February 18, 2005, 09:20 AM
Club Cricketer

If a finance major goes to nanotech conference, then obviously it was a mistake by the Conf management to invite him there or a blunder by the management of his institute/ company who might have sent him to the conference. But one thing is sure that " Dheki swarge geleo dhan bhane" has proved its worth once again. A fianace major has got enough mastery on statistics u know, the piece of research he put as a post is the glittering example of the statistical wisdom of our bhai babubangla. Tnx , lot of tnx.
Old February 18, 2005, 10:46 AM
ODI Cricketer

Great job! Informative yet clinical. No names, no personilties- just numbers. As a life long English major, it's drove me NUTS! So impersonal, so utterly devoid of huminity, so lacking in gratuitious flair... Good job anyway
Old February 18, 2005, 12:51 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

It's.... what should I say?!........ UNBELIEVABLE!! INHUMAN!!!

by the way... some interesting excerpts:

If we take the members(414) who mentioned their location, as sample.. then we can say that among the members... 66% are from USA, Canada, England & Australia combined... with 31.4% from USA alone!!

Only 12.31% members are from Bangladesh!(now I feel almost like a Rare-Species)

One information I was looking for.. but dint find though: What's the percentage of Non-Bangladeshi members of this forum??

Anyway.... good read!
Closed Thread