facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 4, 2011, 08:39 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanCricFan
Because, Bangladesh are RELATIVELY new to 'professional' sports.
I think 10+ years is too long to say that we are still relatively new to professional sports.

Quote:
Do we have a professional board, First Class league, or players with professional work ethics, descipline or attitiude?
No we don't. Things are not working in the highest level. And thats why I don't believe in status quo or "theory of continuity". We need change, not just players change

Quote:
Lets not forget about all the good works done because of ONE poor World Cup tournament. When was the last time we Banglawashed a test nation or won back to back ODI series? We ran England very close in Test matches despite the Umpire for Empires. We won against England in England. We should have won an ODI series against SL. We won against WI with Roach and Sammy. These are all signs of progress.
I am not forgetting anything. The example you gave followed by WC performance validate what I said before, we are going in circle, climbing one feet, and then slipping in feet while trying to climb a pole.

Quote:
Playing in a WC in front of a huge expectant home crowd is not a walk in the park. Specially, when you're barely out of teen years. Ireland chasing a target of 330 against ENGLAND is more astounding than BD being bowled out for nothing. Think about it!
Its not that we lost the game, but the way we lost the game against WI tells the story. Even against after scoring 49 in 5 overs without losing, we end up scoring only 205 runs. To address our batting problem we filled up our lineup with 8th slot with players who cannot bat anymore, while SN is warming the bench and with the excuse that we don;t have any replacement players for last two years. We have a sub-par wicket keeper with no possible alternate for years, we don't have any bowling all-rounder for a while, we bring jahirul and and don't try him to see if he is any good, not even warm-up games. We stick with Siddon favorite Juniad/Rakibul/Ashraful for too long and missed the oportunity for last two years to see really if we have any alternatives or not, we don't have any activity with our team A, or lower level teams.

Old March 4, 2011, 05:11 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal

Its not that we lost the game, but the way we lost the game against WI tells the story. Even against after scoring 49 in 5 overs without losing, we end up scoring only 205 runs. To address our batting problem we filled up our lineup with 8th slot with players who cannot bat anymore, while SN is warming the bench and with the excuse that we don;t have any replacement players for last two years. We have a sub-par wicket keeper with no possible alternate for years, we don't have any bowling all-rounder for a while, we bring jahirul and and don't try him to see if he is any good, not even warm-up games. We stick with Siddon favorite Juniad/Rakibul/Ashraful for too long and missed the oportunity for last two years to see really if we have any alternatives or not, we don't have any activity with our team A, or lower level teams.
Fazal,

I'm as much as distraught as you and all others here. But we still must retain our clarity of thoughts amid our darkest hours. I'm a great admirer of Nafees --I can't possibly emphasize this more--but even I couldn't find a place for Nafees in my line up as things stand now. Imrul has been a stalwart so no question about replacing him with SN. Junaid has been doing okay since the ICL exodus, therefore, SN can't just walk in in his place. In competitive sports (and in life) continuity is very important and willy nilly chopping and changing is higly undesirable. A well settled and gelled side is a must. I have played competitive sports and have been a keen follower over 30 years. My relatively little experience and knowledge tells me that the selectors almost have got it right in their selection with the exception of picking both (out of form) Riyad and Naeem. I would have gone with Kapali, Nasir or Sabbir. But I also could understand the possible dilemma of going with uncapped youngsters in such a huge event. They made their call. Also, I don't buy wholesale the idea that Siddons have favourites. We must show much more respect than that to a professional of his calibre. Or, at least, have better opinions about him. Yes, I know we all get frustrated from time to time.

Lets not forget its all very easy to dismantle but very difficult to build.

PS: 10 years of 'professionalism' doesn't equate with 50 years of professionalism. Hence, I used the term 'relative'.

PSS: Lets get behind the lads and hope that they win the next three matches. Maybe SN should come in now in place of BigZ.
Old March 4, 2011, 06:07 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Fazal,
Junaid has been doing okay since the ICL exodus, therefore, SN can't just walk in in his place. In competitive sports (and in life) continuity is very important and willy nilly chopping and changing is higly undesirable.
I have just one set of question.

Where was the continuity when we dropped SN from the final 11 even though he was one of the top few performers in NZ series? We dropped Johirul after not even using him. Where was the continuity when we brought back Ash in the national team dropping Ryiad ahead of Shuvo and SN?

Yes "Continuity" sounds great. But if we use it selectively to benefit particular player and use against some players as excuse, what value does it have? It becomes not a practice, but another set of excuse...

Siddon got two years to shape up the pool of national players, there was not that much chopping and changing around that time... more or less he got the players that he wanted, got he got his wishes which players he doesn't want... last two years we were told repeatedly that the team is being built with the goal of WC....that how they justified why Ash should still be tried to get his form back before WC.

We listened and waited... and waited...and waited.... but after WC, there no waiting ... at-last its time to evaluate, wheather this two year plan worked or not...whether money well spent or not.....whether sticking with smaller pool of players for last 1+ years worked or not... so I think after waiting two years, the fans have every right to evaluate the coach and express their own opinion.... the honeymoon period is long gone. At this point blaming the players only will not going to fix anything, we need to go beyond that..... starting from coaches upto BCB .

Last edited by Fazal; March 4, 2011 at 06:38 PM..
Old March 4, 2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:

Where was the continuity when we dropped SN from the final 11 even though he was one of the top few performers in NZ series? Where was the continuity when we brought back Ash in the national team dropping Ryiad ahead of Shuvo and SN?

Yes "Continuity sounds great. But if we use it selectively to benefit particular player and use against some players as excuse, what value does it have? It comes not a practice, but another excuse...

Siddon got two years to shape up the pool poof players, there wan not that much chopping and changing around that time... more or less he got the players that he wanted, got he got his wishes which players he doen't want... last two years we were told repeatedly that the team is being build with the goal of WC....that how they justified why Ash should still be tried to get his form back before WC.

We listened and waited... and waited...and waited.... but after WC, there no waiting ... at-tast its time to evaluate, whether this two year plan worked or not...whether money well spent or not.....whether sticking with smaller pool of players for last 1 years worked or not... so I think after waiting two years, the fans have every right to evaluate the coach and express their own opinion.... the honeymoon period is long gone. At this point blaming the players only will not going to fix, we need to go beyond that stating from coaches upto BCB .
Good post Fazal bhai. Selectors dropped Jahirul and Nafees for no valid reason/s. It seems there is no fairness in selecting the team which is not healthy at all. BCB needs to be re-organized from head to bottom after the Aussies's tour of Bangladesh.
Old March 4, 2011, 06:39 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpurush
Good post Fazal bhai. Selectors dropped Jahirul and Nafees for no valid reason/s. It seems there is no fairness in selecting the team which is not healthy at all. BCB needs to be re-organized from head to bottom after the Aussies's tour of Bangladesh.
Thanks (Japany) Modh Bhai.

I need some saki.
Old March 4, 2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Thanks (Japany) Modh Bhai.

I need some saki.
You ment Shura, right!?
Old March 4, 2011, 07:25 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

Quote:

Where was the continuity when we dropped SN from the final 11 even though he was one of the top few performers in NZ series? We dropped Johirul after not even using him. Where was the continuity when we brought back Ash in the national team dropping Ryiad ahead of Shuvo and SN?
I agree with you about SNs in and out of the team to some degree. Perhaps, after the return of Tamim they went with Junaid because of his allegedly better fielding skills plus him being part of the original plan. I'm only speculating here. Ash is not competing with SN as they have different batting position/role. I will go with Ash anyday despite his obvious shortcomings. Please, don't ask me why? Ofcourse, the management did many things wrong. One of them is the handling of Ash over the last two years. You will find, as early as two years ago, I have repeatedly asked for a long break of Ash from all international cricket. I asked that for Ashraful's longterm benefit and keeping the WC in mind. Instead, they kept picking and dropping him without any longterm vision. Ashraful never quite recovered from that.

Of course, the think-tank MUST iron out these obvious discrepancies. Also, at the same time we cannot afford a complete overhaul of players and management. Otherwise, we will find ourselves back to the same situation again where we have to field a bunch of teenagers...be it, next WC or Test matches. Lets wait until the WC and the next tour is over. I think we will be in a better place then to take necessary steps. We need to tone down our high expectations also. We are dealing with BCB here. I say give this same group of boys two more (yes, two MORE years) years and hopefully with a successful return of Mashrafi, Alok, Aftab and possibly two new faces this team will go places. I say this with utmost confidence.

Disclaimer: Proper, competitive and professional First Class cricket is the ABSOLUTE pre-requisite. NO PICNIC NCL anymore!!

Last edited by BanCricFan; March 5, 2011 at 07:31 AM..
Old March 5, 2011, 12:57 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:

Siddon got two years to shape up the pool of national players, there was not that much chopping and changing around that time... more or less he got the players that he wanted, got he got his wishes which players he doesn't want... last two years we were told repeatedly that the team is being built with the goal of WC....that how they justified why Ash should still be tried to get his form back before WC.

We listened and waited... and waited...and waited.... but after WC, there no waiting ... at-last its time to evaluate, wheather this two year plan worked or not...whether money well spent or not.....whether sticking with smaller pool of players for last 1+ years worked or not... so I think after waiting two years, the fans have every right to evaluate the coach and express their own opinion.... the honeymoon period is long gone. At this point blaming the players only will not going to fix anything, we need to go beyond that..... starting from coaches upto BCB .
Old March 5, 2011, 01:02 AM

Favorite Player: Mash, Riyad, Tamim

Quote:

Yes "Continuity" sounds great. But if we use it selectively to benefit particular player and use against some players as excuse, what value does it have? It becomes not a practice, but another set of excuse...

Top post!

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)