facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old December 18, 2007, 05:26 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
Is bottled water safe in Bangladesh? Which brand is more reliable?
The safest is to boil water at home and put it in bottles. The bottles must be boiled also (seperately).

MUM is served most posh places. However, from personal experience (last year), I suggest to stay clear and drink Fanta.

Old December 18, 2007, 06:41 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
The safest is to boil water at home and put it in bottles. The bottles must be boiled also (seperately).
But it cannot be plastic bottle. They say not to reuse plastic bottle.
Old December 18, 2007, 09:10 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
I have a weird question:

When was the first time that someone from a desert area like Saudi Arabia get to realize that there's something called ICE or SNOW?

Anyone has any idea?
Probably much much earlier than the 10th Century. It was during the Abbasid Caliphate (10th Century) that both Ahmad ibn Rustah and Ahmad ibn Fadlan (the movie, The 13th Warrior, based on Crichton's book Eaters of the Dead, is actually a fictional portrayal of the Beowulf myth as seen through ibn Fadlan's eyes) spent some time with the Rus (Vikings in Europe). But the Arabs had explorers and embassies in both Europe and in the mountainous regions of Asia (e.g. in what is now Afghanistan) long before that, so they would have known about snow and ice.
Old December 19, 2007, 09:09 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Thanks Shaad bhai. But how can we confirm that they knew that snow would melt into water? That's part of my original question
Old December 19, 2007, 09:23 AM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

During winter, snow can occur in the higher mountains specially in southern and northern parts of the kingdom, although this only occurs once or twice in a decade.
Anyway, check this youtube one.

Old December 19, 2007, 09:34 AM
Cricket Guru

I really wanna know what the guy's doing at 3:11 in the video...eibhabe jodi keu snow'r upor boshe, what caption should it get?
Old December 20, 2007, 12:14 PM
Cricket Sage

Currently which Bangla movie is the "talk of the town." ? Just to be clear, No award winning boring type movie please, more high octane 'chuk bhum' 'chuk bhoom' type movie that will be fun to watch in a theater with the general public.
Old December 20, 2007, 12:17 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

'Dhor Shoitan' is a good movie ..
Old December 20, 2007, 12:23 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer
'Dhor Shoitan' is a good movie ..
How many dances are there? And who is the villain?
Old December 20, 2007, 12:30 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Nam money nai. Tobey villain er bishal bhuri was amazing.

way back in eighties, on our annual trip to Cox's bazar in December, we heard about a movie shooting on the beach. Hundreds of people surrounded the set, and out of curiosity, I along with my cousins, snuck out at night to watch it. They put a makeshift tree on the beach. There she was, Anju Ghosh, sitting on a tiny branch, trying to evade capture from her kidnappers, who were part of a big "doshhu bahini" all clad in "cheeta bagher chamra" outfit..

amra onek hat tail disi afterwards..
Old December 22, 2007, 06:48 PM
Cricket Guru

This is a suggestion, rather than a question.

For those of you living abroad in countries where giving Qurbani'r gosh to the poor and needy may not be so noticeably easy, I just tried calling the nearby homeless shelters today. I have found one with women and children, and after calling them they were kind of surprised hearing my question: "We have a festival called Eid-ul-Adha, and there we slaughter an animan. After the animal has been slaughtered, we must give away a third of it to the needy. I was thus wondering if you guys would let me host you guys with some of these meat in any way you want...raw or cooked".

The lady was surprised, and didn't know what to answer. She said she'll call back. Less than 5 minutes later she called back, and said "I asked my boss, and she said go right ahead...I've heard of Eid, and I know about Muslims doing it every year".

To avoid this problem of distributing the meat among the poor and needy, many of us have done the qurbani back home in the past. But people tell me that it is recommended that we distribute it within our own community first...and then to others.

I've informed a few of my relatives about it, and they might tag along with me. What's making me happy is the fact that there is at least a remote possibility of these people believing that the real face of Islam is not what they see on CNN.
Old December 22, 2007, 09:47 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer
Nam money nai. Tobey villain er bishal bhuri was amazing.

way back in eighties, on our annual trip to Cox's bazar in December, we heard about a movie shooting on the beach. Hundreds of people surrounded the set, and out of curiosity, I along with my cousins, snuck out at night to watch it. They put a makeshift tree on the beach. There she was, Anju Ghosh, sitting on a tiny branch, trying to evade capture from her kidnappers, who were part of a big "doshhu bahini" all clad in "cheeta bagher chamra" outfit..

amra onek hat tail disi afterwards..

Dhaliwood movies are always shear fun and its a family thing, we will seat together and laugh out every beat of poor acting quality, stupid dialogues and plots, above the culture dances etc. Now reading your description made me laugh like hell. Good one.
Old December 24, 2007, 12:21 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

does any one knows where to go other than banks to do money exchange with good rates?
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old December 24, 2007, 01:45 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by akabir77
does any one knows where to go other than banks to do money exchange with good rates?
Good rate or not I don't know, but you can go to airport if its near your. There are money exchange office, I saw one in DC. You find one in your downtown.

Good rate? Black market.
Old December 29, 2007, 08:47 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Does anyone know how to reduce the resolution of a GIF image? Please tell me how..if you know.

Thanks in advance for the help
Old December 29, 2007, 08:56 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The venerated one on BC.

Guys, tell me if this would work:

Lets say I used one of my credit cards (lets call it Card A, from now on) to purchase a $2,000 item. When the monthly statement arrives, and I owe Card A $2,000, I take my 2nd credit card (Card B) to the ATM and take out $2,000 in cash. I deposit that cash into my checking account, and pay that amount (in the form of a check) towards my Card A. Next month, when the bill for Card B ($2,000) arrives, I do the EXACT same thing above with Card A. ...and continue doing this, in a constant loop.

Does this mean I will never have to pay the two grands? And I would incur high interest charges on the credit cards for taking out 2Ks out of the ATM every month, right?
Old December 29, 2007, 09:09 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

erei bole bangali... joto keramoti shob amader kache.
Old December 29, 2007, 09:45 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrequiem
Guys, tell me if this would work:

Lets say I used one of my credit cards (lets call it Card A, from now on) to purchase a $2,000 item. When the monthly statement arrives, and I owe Card A $2,000, I take my 2nd credit card (Card B) to the ATM and take out $2,000 in cash. I deposit that cash into my checking account, and pay that amount (in the form of a check) towards my Card A. Next month, when the bill for Card B ($2,000) arrives, I do the EXACT same thing above with Card A. ...and continue doing this, in a constant loop.

Does this mean I will never have to pay the two grands? And I would incur high interest charges on the credit cards for taking out 2Ks out of the ATM every month, right?
Hahahah this is the same thing that went through my mind the first time I got my credit cards. Unfortunately the problem is even though you are not paying the 2 grand but you will be incurring high interest on a daily basis because of the cash withdrawal and eventually you will have to pay up that 2 grand along with the high interests. A better temporary solution would be to do a balance transfer between credit cards since balance transfers are as low as 3 % annually I think. However cash withdrawals are 18-19% charged on a daily basis.
Old December 29, 2007, 09:53 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Quote:
Originally Posted by muradnyc
Does anyone know how to reduce the resolution of a GIF image? Please tell me how..if you know.

Get Paint.Net. Its free and has good features.
Old December 29, 2007, 10:11 PM
BC Editorial Team

gimp
Old December 30, 2007, 02:15 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The venerated one on BC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by layperson
Hahahah this is the same thing that went through my mind the first time I got my credit cards. Unfortunately the problem is even though you are not paying the 2 grand but you will be incurring high interest on a daily basis because of the cash withdrawal and eventually you will have to pay up that 2 grand along with the high interests. A better temporary solution would be to do a balance transfer between credit cards since balance transfers are as low as 3 % annually I think. However cash withdrawals are 18-19% charged on a daily basis.
sighs ...

big corporation: 1 - 0 petty individual

i thought so too bro ... thanks for answering!
Old December 30, 2007, 04:25 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by muradnyc

Use Irfanview.
Old December 30, 2007, 04:29 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

Is there anyway to use the laptop's touchpad to do middle clicks. Its so hard to use firefox without a middle click.

Last edited by Bancan; December 30, 2007 at 04:42 PM..
Old December 30, 2007, 04:31 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by layperson
Not quite.

Balance transfers fall for lower APR if there's a promotion, or if the card company offers such low rates. It's otherwise the same 19% (soon to change to 21%).

On top of these, both balance transfers and cash withdrawals have an admin fee, ranting from $2.50 to $10 for small transfers, or 1% of the amount transferred...whichever is larger.

So, you're right about the $2000 thing...it won't remain the same. But the amount will be considerably higher.

Based on the calculations (trust me, I'm a pro at this...I have 6 credit cards)...paying $30/month is much better!
Old December 30, 2007, 04:32 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bancan
Is there anyway to use the laptop's touchpad to do middle clicks. Its so hard to use firefox with a middle click.
That's a problem with FF. I can't do it using my laptop either.

That's one way how IE is better.