facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports

Other Sports Talk about other Bangladeshi and International sports.

Old August 25, 2008, 09:20 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh
Default College Football 2008-09

Last year we can say college football had "year of upsets". Michigan being #5 lost to Appalacian State (most notably) at Ann Arbor. Will this year mimic anything close? Without a playoffs USC has a open shot at the title. The Gators, LSU tigers (in SEC) (defending champions) will have to work extremely hard. Mizzou and Kansas has competition from Texas and Oklahoma. Ohio State is ready to play the title game. Wisconsin, Penn State and Michigan (new coach 'hot Rod') stands in the way. West Virginia, Oregon should have a good season. I am hoping Stanford make some noise and win one game in the season (beat USC - cheaters).

Games to keep an eye on first week: (Aug 28)
Saban's (24) Bama at (9) Clemson.
Zook's (20) Illinois visiting (6) Mizzou.
Over-rated Fulmer takes (18) Tennessee to UCLA.
Hawaii coming to Gainesville to test the Gators. I think Tebow will only play 3 quarters. Defending 'Heisman' winner.
Old August 25, 2008, 10:36 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

T_E

What College team do you support? I know you like the Raiders in NFL. I am not that big on College game as I am with the pro's ( Steelers my team ), but, I try to root for my alma Pitt Panthers. They have been poor to avg for years now. Still, we have manged to send some quality players to NFL almost every yr. Second year RB, LaShean " shady " McCoy is an early Heisman candidate. He was electric last year. Should continue again. Outside of Pitt, I used to like da U back in their glory days. Loved those cocky showboating players..
Old August 25, 2008, 12:07 PM
Cricket Savant

Losers mainly!! (underdogs )
U of Arkansas (Razorbacks) - New head coach, No D Mac, no Felix Jones (Cowboys rookie running back) - rebuilding year.
I follow College football big time (may be since there is no pro-football in Arkansas).

Use to like Nebraska (Ozbourn era) Corn huskers. Lived close to Omaha in Sioux City, IA (91-92).

Dislike Texas. Double dislike USC Trojans and cheat Pete Carroll (College version of Bill Bichicheck). Tennessee borderline.

I follow all conferences. Pitt is good. They are ranked I think in the preseason poll this year. Don't they have Ex-Chicago Bears coach (Dav Wanstendt) as their head coach? Big east is good but not SEC.

Last edited by Tigers_eye; August 25, 2008 at 12:13 PM..
Old August 25, 2008, 12:12 PM
Cricket Savant

By the way, Colts was my real team. (P. Manning - Tony Dungy)
Now with D Mac in the league I will follow him which ever team he plays for.
Old August 25, 2008, 12:34 PM
Cricket Guru

Cool. Razorbacks had a good basketball program a while ago. Didn't they?

Wanstedt is the coach for us. He stinks. Only reason he got the job because he is from Pittsburgh originally. It helped us recently with recruits. Western PA has a great tradition of football players ( just look at th famous QB's that have ever played the game ) and we were losing them to Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan and Notre Dame. He has got some decent recruits the last few years. We are ranked, but , that don't mean much. We have no QB. It will be all McCoy all the time.

Back to pros. Yes..I am also waiting to see what DMac does for Raiders. Another Peterson in the making? Season still two weeks away. I am going to a lot of games again this year. yes..yes..Sundays are my favorite day of the week ..
Old August 25, 2008, 01:30 PM
Cricket Savant

Yes!! Nolan Richardson (1st Black coach) to win an NCAA tourney in 95 beating Puke. Following year they lost to UCLA in the finals. At one point, in the mid 90's they were the winningest team for that decade. Even Duke, North Carolina couldn't compete. It was "40 minutes of Hell" rule he implied with mediocre player.
Old August 25, 2008, 04:19 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushfiqur Rahim

Geeze guys, no love for UGA? We are ranked #1 and we have Knowshon Moreno, the top RB in the country.
Old August 26, 2008, 08:55 AM
Cricket Savant

My bad!! The DAWGs are back. The road to the National Championship goes through Georgia anyways!! Moreno is a beast. One man show. If the Quarterback can play and not turnover, their is no stopping of the Dawgs!! There defense is that good!!

Who let the dawgs out!! Whoot!! Whoot!! Whoot!!
Who let the dawgs out!! Whoot!! Whoot!! Whoot!!
Old August 26, 2008, 10:08 AM
Cricket Guru

I like Georgia too. Thats because of Hines Ward...
Old August 27, 2008, 01:45 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer
I like Georgia too. Thats because of Hines Ward...
How about "Herschel to the left, Herschel to the right, Herschel up the middle. Touchdown!!" That was Georgia football at its best.
80 - national champion.
81 - lost in the final bowl game. one loss season. finishing #2.
82 - lost in the final bowl game. one loss season. finishing #2.
83 - national champion.

Mark Ricth years as Bulldogs coach:
2001 - 8-4.
02 - 13-1.
03 - 11-3.
04 - 10-2.
05 - 10-3.
06 - 9-4.
07 - 11-2.
08 - Preseason #1.
Old August 27, 2008, 02:54 PM
Cricket Guru

T_E

Were you around to see Walker? I assume not. I have only heard about him. I believe Pitt was one of the teams that beat Georgia to the NCAA championship in late Seventies, with Tony Dorsett as our RB.

The other day I had to go to the PITT Athletic Dept for some business purpose, and was in awe to see some of the past players photos gracing the wall. Great players included : Mike Ditka, Mark May, Tony Dorsett, Dan Marino, Curtis Martin, Larry Fitzerald and few other OL/DL..
Old August 27, 2008, 03:34 PM
Cricket Savant

No, I wasn't in US then but in SEC, he is the standard for running backs. Walker and Bo Jackson (Auburn). Emmit (Florida) didn't get that high praises for some reason. Also I followed Walker in NFL right after he was traded from Dallas for truckload to build an empire by Jerry Jones (U of Ark) and Jimmy Johnson (U of Ark). Can you imagine 6 players and 5 draft picks for one guy? Drive time sport radios often go back and play of past champions quote, plays etc. Arkansas loves running game and running backs. Now the new coach may change all the tradition but Hill, Cobbs, to Matt Jones to D Mac, Felix tradition is deeply rooted here.

The quote on Hershel is well documented and even on TV (ESPN Classic), sometimes they play that to show what a talent he was.

Sure enough, Georgia lost to Pitt (Dan Marino) in Sugar bowl in 82. Looked it up.

Dorsett another cowboys was a beast. But beast of all beasts is my main man Jim Brown. No man be it OJ, Payton, Campbell or even Barry Sanders can come close to Jim Brown. I have a cheat sheet attached to my desk. Stats of Jim Brown.

Anyways, back to college.

Bama facing Clemson at Atlanta. Not a home game for Clemson as I previously thought. Tommy Bowden will eat Saban on a neutral ground. Come on Tigers!!
Old August 28, 2008, 10:26 AM
Cricket Guru

T_E

Great enthusiasm you have for College football.

Cowboys did what they had to and it was a great success following Walker's departure. That type of wholesale trade of picks is a rarity indeed. Last person to do so was Ditka with NO Saints. He traded everything for the right to pick Ricky Williams. Didn't go that well for him though.

Arkansas surely has a great tradition of RB's. I will root for them this year as a show of support to you.

Jim Brown is indeed the standard bearer of all running backs. But, the others that you mentioned, including OJ and Campbell, were greats in their own right. Sadly, I didn't see them live. I have seen Barry Sanders though. He was electric. Among this generation of backs, I admire Adrian Peterson the most, but I am not sure about him having a long career, specially the way he runs.

Bama-Clemson is a big game.

I still can't hojom the fact that our local boy ( Pittsburgh area stud ) Terrel Pryor has gone to Ohio State. I hate them. What can we do? He is a future superstar and obviously he wants to go to a team that has national spotlight. Wanstadt tried till the last moment to get him to go to PITT. The Steelers even dispatched Charlie Batch ( back up QB and Pryor's mentor/neighbor ) to change his mind. But, why would he go to a third ranked program? In High school, he was a both State Champion in Football ( QB ) and Basketball. He is so highly rated that had he chosen basketball as a career, he would have got drafted in NBA straight away this year.. Watch out for him in Ohio State this year. He won't start, but, he will come in for some plays. He has unbelievable jets..
Old August 28, 2008, 11:34 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
T_E

Great enthusiasm you have for College football.
lol, that is why I threw a challenge to Shaad bhai for a debate on any topic of college football. I know I can't win against any other, this is the only subject I have a fair chance.

College recruiting has gone beyond fixing. The Ameaturism is gone. The high school recruites now get under the table cash, incentives, agent co-operations. That is so sad. With sites like Rivals.com things are getting heated. Unless NCAA or the sponsors (bowl) do something this will get out of hand.

Yup!! I was intensely watching Pryor saga. I thought he was sold to Washington. Penn State and Ohio State were late additions. Wanted him to go to Penn State though. I want Joe Pa to win another one before he becomes 80. Can you imagine a coach, coaching for the last 4 decades and his program had zero probation from NCAA for all of his players??? Respect is earned. Few years back he gave back the university his entire salary cause he thought he didn't perform the way he was suppose to. What the ...??? By the way, he earned I think $500,000 a year. This was before the last contract extention. On the other hand, Nick Saban makes $4 Mill a year. Sigh!!

The buckeyes are third in the dislike list. Tressel is a weasle. I'll just stop at that. However I was very happy when they stoped the cheater Trojans few years back.

The best NFL running back to watch was, is, will be: Barry Sanders. Heard so many stories of his college years at Oklahoma State. Rival Oklahoma's coach was Barry Switzer (U of Ark). The praises he had for a rival player was unparallel. Sanders never spiked the ball. Not once after any touchdown. Always jogged and gave the ball back to the referee. Such was is love for the game. He could have easily surpass Walter Payton's record most yards (which later Emmitt broke) but walked away from the game just like Jim Brown. He was a treat to watch. The mesmorising moves, the lateral movement, the stop and start, you know something big is about to happen. He would sooner or later bust one 40 yards with the blink of an eye. Had he and emmitt switched teams, lol, Jim Brown's all of the records would be in jeopardy. But by far Jim Brown is the man though.

Last edited by Tigers_eye; August 28, 2008 at 02:02 PM..
Old August 28, 2008, 12:16 PM
Cricket Guru

T_E
You haven't followed the recent years of off the field trouble involving Penn st. Players. Many many incidents of fights, alleged rapes, drunkenness etc has clouded the once great program. Some people allege that Joe Pa has lost touch with reality at this age in his life and has been complicit by overlooking many of the incidents. As a fellow Pitt alum, I am off course biased against Penn St, and I find him a deranged old man.. Enough of them.

My three main dislikes : Penn St, Ohio st, Notre dame.
I like : Pitt ( dunno why ), Miami, Michigan and now Arkansas.

Don't under sale yourself. Sure you can handle your Shaad bhai. He is knowledgable but not unbeatable!

That Nick Saban has no character. I like the Florida Coach. Meyer. He is a good brain.

My fav RB's that I have seen are in this order : Barry Sanders, the Bus ( obviously for me ), Tomlinson, Curtis Martin ( good guy..met him once ) Edgerin James and a few others..
Old August 28, 2008, 01:01 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
T_E
You haven't followed the recent years of off the field trouble involving Penn st. Players. Many many incidents of fights, alleged rapes, drunkenness etc has clouded the once great program. Some people allege that Joe Pa has lost touch with reality at this age in his life and has been complicit by overlooking many of the incidents. As a fellow Pitt alum, I am off course biased against Penn St, and I find him a deranged old man.. Enough of them.
I knew and purpose fully omitted them. Yet no sanctions to the program. No Scholarship losses. And the culprits were dealth severely after those incident surfaced. Just like Florida State's Bowden. Suspended almost half of the team. Took only 33 players in the last bowl game. State of Florida has more problems.
Quote:
My three main dislikes : Penn St, Ohio st, Notre dame.
I like : Pitt ( dunno why ), Miami, Michigan and now Arkansas.
Uuuu!! Don't even get me started on Notre Dame. They think they own college Football. Last year was a great year for me to see ND suffer. Miami, actually all Florida schools should be a powerhouse year in year out. The talent they come up with is unbelievable.
Michagan, we (Ark) got Ryan Mallet back next year. Hot Rod may struggle in the first year. If they beat Ohio State then everything is forgiven.
[/quote]That Nick Saban has no character. I like the Florida Coach. Meyer. He is a good brain.

My fav RB's that I have seen are in this order : Barry Sanders, the Bus ( obviously for me ), Tomlinson, Curtis Martin ( good guy..met him once ) Edgerin James and a few others..[/quote]
Watch out for the rookie at Detroit. Kevin Smith (from UCF). Ofcourse D Mac is the class of this year. The best thing I like about LT is zero fumbles. That is just sick. Barry Sanders had a streak of 800+ carries without fumble. That is 4 seasons of heavy load.
Old August 28, 2008, 01:20 PM
Cricket Guru

Florida produces unmatched talent in specialized positions, actually athletic positions, including WR, RB, CB, S, linebackers etc. U Miami put some phenomenal talents in the NFL over the years. Just look around the rosters of many teams and they have Miami studs all over. Plus, I kinda liked their thuggish attitude, though it got out of hand, and Shannon is trying to rectify it, much to my utter displeasure.

Loved every moment of 3 win season for Notre dame last year. I despise them, their national network deal, and the disciple of chor Belichik. Lose..lose..lose..

Thurman Thomas was a good back. Heard he backed up Barry Sanders in college. That was some backfield. But, the U backfield a few years ago took the cake. They had Edge, backing him were Portis, McGahee and Gore..
Old August 28, 2008, 02:01 PM
Cricket Savant

lol, it is the other way around. Thurmanator was the featured back of Oklahoma State. Barry Sanders backed him up. He was Junior when Barry was freshman. It those days Freshman didn't get enough time to play anyways. However, as great as Barry was there, no one could keep a player like him in the sidelines. TTs special was he had a soft hand. Could catch and block. Threat from anywhere from the field. Teams were so poised to stop TT, that Barry had a field day almost in every game. Soon they became the most feared backfield ever to play in college games. TT had over 20 games of 100+ yards rushing. He didn't have the moves like Barry but he was a workhorse.

But once TT moved to NFL, Barry set College Football on fire by himself.
Old August 28, 2008, 03:03 PM
Cricket Guru

Sorry for the mix up. They were teammates and that was the point I was trying to make.
Old August 29, 2008, 11:04 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Sorry for the mix up. They were teammates and that was the point I was trying to make.
No problem bro.
++++
No upsets so far.
The other USC rolls. Univ of South Carolina. Spurrier wins his 16th straight opener. 37-0 against N Carolina State. At the half time they were leading 3-0. Quarterback controversy never leaves the ol' ball coach. His starter threw 4 picks, got sacked 5 times. The backup came in the 3rd Quarter managed the game threw 2 touchdowns in the forth. Last year S Carolina started 6-1 and ended up 6-6.

Wake flexes mussle against Balyor 41-13.
Iowa State, Vandy, Cinci, Troy, Ga Tech, Miami, Central Michigan, Ball St all won big.

Stanford beat Oregon St 36-28. Woohoo!! Even after gaining almost 200 yards more Oregon State could not beat Stanford. Turnovers and penulties played a big part towards the outcome. The cardinals kept it simple and ran the ball effectively. Managed the clock well. (Coach) Harbaugh is gone next year to NFL me think. Stanford plays next five games on the road. AAAooouuhhh!!
Old August 29, 2008, 01:12 PM
Cricket Guru

Who the Hurricanes beat?

Yes, Harbaugh will end up in NFL soon. Who could forget the stunning upset last year? He was jumping like a little kid.

Wake Forrest is pretty strong this year. Aren't they? No upsets last night. Pitt playing Bowling Green tomorrow.

What are the major match ups this weeknd T_E? Any big games?
Old September 2, 2008, 09:22 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Who the Hurricanes beat?

Yes, Harbaugh will end up in NFL soon. Who could forget the stunning upset last year? He was jumping like a little kid.

Wake Forrest is pretty strong this year. Aren't they? No upsets last night. Pitt playing Bowling Green tomorrow.

What are the major match ups this weeknd T_E? Any big games?
Chareston by 52 to 7.

Wake is a basketball school, lol that should say enough. Naah, they are pretty good year-in year-out for the last 5-10 years.

Upset for week one:
1) Michigan losing against at Ann Arbor against the Utes. Well the Utes are good and would be gunning for BCS game from a week conference. Yet, no excuse for Michigan to lose infront of 108,000 fans. We have a doctor who went to Michigan (follows college football). He will have a hard time at Friday prayers next week, courtesy me.

2) Bama (24) made Clemson (9) look over rated. But the fact is Clemson is an under achiever.

3) Unranked UCLA defeats Tennessee (18) in over-time. VOLs go down and I am happy.

4) Stanford holding of Oregon State.

5) Va Tech (17) lost East Carolina. There goes the BCS bowl game for Frank Beamer.

6) Mississippi State got Croomed. Beaten in their own game, the bull dogs stumble against Louisiana Tech. They were leading 14-9 at the half but was shutout in the second half.

7) Texas A & M lost to a Div II team at home. Arkansas State. After leading 14-3 at the half got shutout in the second half. Ark St. had 6 field goals. Final score 18-14 State.

8) Pitt (25) lost to Bowling Green. DW's time is up after this season.

Rutgars lost to Fresno State. Wow!! Back to Mediocre? Kentucky beat Louisville 27-2, big in-state rivalry game.

Arkansas beat Western Illinios 28-24. Had to come back from behind in the forth quarter. Barely completed a 4th and 10 at W Illinios 33 in the go ahead score. For the first time in a long time they didn't rush for 100 yards in a game. The 4th year QB Casey Dick threw for 41 attempts. That must be a record too.

Mizzou (6) beat Illinios (19) 52-42. Highest scoring game of the week. 94 in four quarters. I guess the defense didn't play a lick.
Arizona got a victory of 70-0 over Idaho. Highest margin of the week.
Old September 2, 2008, 09:32 AM
Cricket Savant

Week 2 matchups:
** Miami at Florida
Texas at UTEP
Houston at Oklahoma State
Cal at Washington State
Buffalo at Pittsburgh
** Pat White (West Virginia) at East Carolina
Cinci at Oklahoma
Oregon State at Penn State
Ole Miss at Wake Forrest
** Ga Tech at Boston College
** Spurrier vs Vandy

Some intriging matchup.
Old September 2, 2008, 11:17 AM
Cricket Guru

T_E

Thanks thanks for the summary. You really made it easy for me bro. I was watching the UCLA-Ten game last night towards the end. What a turnabout for the QB? Four picks in the first half. Didn't know that Norm Chow is in UCLA. I thought he left USC to go to Titans ( NFL ). Well, what can I say about Pitt and DW ( another DW )? Here we go again. Lost to Bowling Green and the season is over. We should have never hired this guy. He lost everywhere he went. Dolphins, Bears..everywhere. Its fine he recruits good local players ( though couldn't get Pryor ) but he doesn't know how to develop them.

I will be waiting to see the Miami-Florida match up next week. Sunday, is opening day for me in NFL, and as always, heading to Heinz Field for game 1 to take on the Texans.
Old September 2, 2008, 12:01 PM
Cricket Savant

Hard to imagine Jimmy Johnson's diciple is in such a dire state. A resume that has Pitts 1976 championship, coaching Oklahoma State, USC, Dallas Cowboys daunting defense.

By the way, did you watch "Cheers" tv series? Ditka was G*d to his fans (almost literally). Filling his shoes is no easy task. Under achieved in Dolphins definitely. Nail in the coffin coming up. BUFFALO. They are strong. I am waiting for the new poll.

Last edited by Tigers_eye; September 2, 2008 at 01:02 PM..