facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Closed Thread

Old April 26, 2007, 03:55 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
Amit's like your average Bangladeshi batsman - he learns with time, but you still feel he leaves a lot to be desired. Aggression, too much defence and half-hearted shots all combined together.
Good one ATMR.

Actually, the whole thread turned out to be quite funny.

Old April 26, 2007, 05:49 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: MS Dhoni(India)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricfanz
So please, mr bd-fan-from-india, do tell us all what is the exact criteria needed for..

1. being classified as a big-hitter...

2. being allowed to dream and aim a notch higher than what we're likely to be fully capable of by then...

you know, sometimes, u actually make sense. Then u just decide to stop making sense and insult us and worsen our opinion of u....
to be a big-hitter u need to play the big-shots consistently and not just be a 1-inning wonder. ash and tamim r still 1-inning wonders until they play 2-3 more similar innings. also, u dont have to be from the big-teams to be a big-hitter. even john davison is a big-hitter despite being from canada.

u can dream much higher than what u r capable of. everyone should have a right to dream.
Old April 26, 2007, 06:28 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd_fan_from_india
ash and tamim r still 1-inning wonders until ...
...u can dream much higher than what u r capable of....
At this point... your intensions are quite obvious. Even though you demand that India should not be brought into this conversation and criticized, you don't seem to have any hesitation to directly and indirectly imply how 'incapable' BD team and its certain players are.

Let me clarify it very clearly... that if if continue to show the same tone of posts out here... this thread might soon be locked.

-Mod
Old April 26, 2007, 09:37 AM
ODI Cricketer

Why on earth would you lock this tread? Some ppl won’t change their mind no matter what, but some ppl just might! Isn’t that the jest of your signature?

And my dear BFFI, please do you homework before you include ash in the same league with tamim. Off the top of my head, there was the 100 against AUS, 92 of 54 vs England, and most recently 86 against SA. That’s three very good innings against 3, ok fine, 2 very good team. I think we can safely say that boy isn’t a one hit wonder.
Old April 26, 2007, 09:58 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Quote:
to be a big-hitter u need to play the big-shots consistently and not just be a 1-inning wonder. ash and tamim r still 1-inning wonders until they play 2-3 more similar innings. also, u dont have to be from the big-teams to be a big-hitter. even john davison is a big-hitter despite being from canada.

u can dream much higher than what u r capable of. everyone should have a right to dream.
Hey stupid logic maker your logic on big hitter doesn't match with your example. davison is a big hitter with one big hit???
You amit looks like your stay will be very short again here in BC. get a life.
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old April 26, 2007, 10:12 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by radagast
Why on earth would you lock this tread? Some ppl won’t change their mind no matter what, but some ppl just might! Isn’t that the jest of your signature?

And my dear BFFI, please do you homework before you include ash in the same league with tamim. Off the top of my head, there was the 100 against AUS, 92 of 54 vs England, and most recently 86 against SA. That’s three very good innings against 3, ok fine, 2 very good team. I think we can safely say that boy isn’t a one hit wonder.
although ash has the potential to become a big-hitter, but to call him a big-hitter now is a overstatement. a big-hitter needs to hit 6s consistently. in the 3 innings u said - the 100 against aus and the 87 against sa did not contain any 6s. and someone who didnt hit any 6 in 2 of his best odi innings cannot be called a big-hitter. even tamim is closer to being called a big-hitter than ash as tamim has hit a few 6s.

the 1 closest enough to being called a big-hitter is mortaza as he has hit 6s consistently against the weaker teams and could continue the same form against the big teams as well as he hit 3 6s in the warm-up against nz.
Old April 26, 2007, 10:20 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Amit! how about Aftab as a big hitter? He hit 27 sixes last year (second only to Jayasuriya's 28) and this year he already has 9!
Old April 26, 2007, 10:41 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

This is a very lame thread.

As far as big hitters are concerned in the bangladesh team, I would say we have enough big hitters in our team. Ashraful, Aftab, Tamim, Mashrafe, Rafique can all hit the ball out of the stadium. What we need is consistency and thats all. These bunches can and have hit sixes and smashed bowling of teams like Australia, England, South Africa and India. Now, that is upto you if you wanna call these teams as "weak teams".

In conclusion, we have enough Afridis in the team, what we need is more Dravids. Case closed.
Old April 26, 2007, 10:53 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
although ash has the potential to become a big-hitter, but to call him a big-hitter now is a overstatement. a big-hitter needs to hit 6s consistently. in the 3 innings u said - the 100 against aus and the 87 against sa did not contain any 6s. and someone who didnt hit any 6 in 2 of his best odi innings cannot be called a big-hitter. even tamim is closer to being called a big-hitter than ash as tamim has hit a few 6s.

the 1 closest enough to being called a big-hitter is mortaza as he has hit 6s consistently against the weaker teams and could continue the same form against the big teams as well as he hit 3 6s in the warm-up against nz.
LOL.. you are a pincher aren't U! Your compliments always seems to have a BUT in the end.
Quote:
mortaza as he has hit 6s consistently against the weaker teams
Weaker team?? Don't really keep track of stats religiously, but how about his innings against SA. Or are u calling SA weak team. Ohh.. I see.. you just have a point there, specially after yesterdays match.. HMMM...

Wait we are talking about big hitter here then... not good.. consistant batsmen. Personally I don't really care about big hitters. For me, slow and steady batsman builds the innings, big hitters throws the bat around, gets a couple of sixes, then gets himself out, puts the other batsman and team under pressure. Not to mention causes my heartrate to go up.

But have to admit it though, whenever we needed a big hitter, someone steped up. As far as I can rememeber, Pilot hit a six and won the ICC final, Aftab hit a six against Aus and we won that one too. Stat crazy ppl, I am pretty sure you guys can give us couple of more examples. Go nuts.
Old April 26, 2007, 10:56 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehsan

As far as big hitters are concerned in the bangladesh team, I would say we have enough big hitters in our team. Ashraful, Aftab, Tamim, Mashrafe, Rafique can all hit the ball out of the stadium. What we need is consistency and thats all. These bunches can and have hit sixes and smashed bowling of teams like Australia, England, South Africa and India. Now, that is upto you if you wanna call these teams as "weak teams".

In conclusion, we have enough Afridis in the team, what we need is more Dravids. Case closed.
Thank you very much - couldn't have said it better myself. And as you can see, I tried!
Old April 26, 2007, 10:29 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehsan

nicely summed up.
Old April 27, 2007, 12:20 AM
Cricket Legend

Bangladesh Cricket Team is neither in need of big-hitters nor pinch-hitters. It just needs a couple of batsman who can instill a sense of reassurance, consistency and stability.

Fow now, the players are a flashy bunch. And that is not necessarily a bad thing - it has it's shock and awe value. For example a couple of those flashy players have a good day and they can upset any team's apple-cart. But over a longer run, BD might need a few players who can settle down and consolidate. That way, the inning execution can be planned better.

Ashraful has the ability to transition from flashy to stable and consistent. From the rest, Nafees (Shahriar) IMO, still has the potential to be groomed and must be groomed. Rest of the bunch will provide good service till such time as there is a more balanced team.

This is besides whatever direction this thread is going.
Old April 27, 2007, 03:33 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Don't want to jinx anyone

i think all the shouting of "WC 2011 champs" is just rhetoric chanted by all fans. You have to be pretty gullible to actually believe that we believe that BD will be 2011 champs.... Realistically, we will probably make the semifinals of 2011
Old April 27, 2007, 07:57 AM
Club Cricketer

about the big-hitters thing, if u have so many big-hitters as u guys r claiming, then y did bd turn up just 1 200+ score in the 7 full-length matches in the wc. with so many big-hitters there should have been atleast 5 200+ scores in the wc. bd could manage only 143 against england and 169 against ireland despite having so many "big-hitters"
Old April 27, 2007, 09:06 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: nadif chowdhury

Its because of all these great big-hitters that we turned up so many low scores...

I hate to do this, but if you've watched enough cricket, you would realise that big hitters also tend to get out more easily than grafters...Dhoni vs Kaif/Dravid..

big hitters is NOT = big score...

and about john davison, comon man, even Harbhajan Singh is a bigger hitter than him..and for goodness's sake, anyone would say Tamim and Ashraful are bigger hitters than john davison..Just because Davison has become famous with his fastest hundred, as you defined a big-hitter to be, he apparently needs to do it in more matches, which I think Bhajji, Ash, Mash, Tamim (and the list will go on) has done more than him...

This thread is actually getting illogical..
Old April 27, 2007, 09:07 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: nadif chowdhury

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Sahastra
Bangladesh Cricket Team is neither in need of big-hitters nor pinch-hitters. It just needs a couple of batsman who can instill a sense of reassurance, consistency and stability.

Fow now, the players are a flashy bunch. And that is not necessarily a bad thing - it has it's shock and awe value. For example a couple of those flashy players have a good day and they can upset any team's apple-cart. But over a longer run, BD might need a few players who can settle down and consolidate. That way, the inning execution can be planned better.

Ashraful has the ability to transition from flashy to stable and consistent. From the rest, Nafees (Shahriar) IMO, still has the potential to be groomed and must be groomed. Rest of the bunch will provide good service till such time as there is a more balanced team.

This is besides whatever direction this thread is going.
I agree 100%..thats what BD needs more than our "big-hitters"...or at least we need more sensible batsmen...
Old April 27, 2007, 04:46 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শা

I had a dream that Bangladesh would one day win the ICC Trophy - We did
I had a dream that Bangladesh would one day play the world cup - We did
I had a dream that Bangladesh would one day beat one of our Asian Super teams - We did
I had a dream that Bangladesh would one day get ODI status - We did
I had a dream that Bangladesh would one day get Test status - We did
I had a dream that Bangladesh would one day beat the world number one - We Did (Twice - Australia and SA)
I had a dream that Bangladesh would go to the second round of the 2007 world cup - We did (and we beat SA as bonus, then we saw that the irish dreamt harder and their dream came true)

See a pattern here ?

DREAMS have a way of coming true, don't they ? Last time I checked, I do not need to get permission or try to give anyone any .. reason for my dreams.

I do like the COMEDY RELIEF. Keep 'em coming. I hope BFFI is kidding around cause no one can be this stupid. There, I couldn't resist. What can I say, some people have the ability to force the ugly truth out of you and I'm only human. Loved the sensible posts, trying to bring logic to something like this.

By the way, how do you guys like my Sig ? . Yep, BIIIIG dreamer.
Old April 27, 2007, 04:48 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শা

Bangladesh - World Champions
World Cup 2011

বাংলাদেশ - বিশ্ব Champion
বিশ্বকাপ ক্রিকেট 2011
Old April 27, 2007, 05:03 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

You just said a million things in your last post Tehsin bhai.

But honestly, if we did start taxing you for dreaming, we'ld be millionaires by now...with all your dreams coming true
Old April 27, 2007, 05:14 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehsin
World Cup 2011

বিশ্বকাপ ক্রিকেট 2011
YEAH MAN! Thats the spirit!

To the ''others'', I know how it feels. Consult a pscychatrist.
Old April 27, 2007, 05:31 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Tehsin bhai egiye cholen amra asi apnar pise...

Quote:
World Cup 2011

বিশ্বকাপ ক্রিকেট 2011
Old April 27, 2007, 06:25 PM
Cricket Legend

shetai... shopno jodi dekhi to kom kore dekhar ki dorkar....

atleast we can say Bangladeshis learnt to dream; dream to be the champions....
Old April 27, 2007, 06:27 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

atleast we started dreaming. now its up to them to make it happen.
Old April 27, 2007, 09:07 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
World Cup 2011

বিশ্বকাপ ক্রিকেট 2011
Now it's high time to edit your sig otherwise me, the chief moderator will do it for you

-Chinaman
Chief Moderator
BC

ওইখানে আমিও আছি /যেইখানে সূর্য উদয়/প্রিয়দেশ পাল্টে দেবো/তুমি আর আমি বোধহয়/কমরেড, তৈরি থেকো/গায়ে মাখো আলতা বরণ/আমি তুমি আমি তুমি/এভাবেই লক্ষ চরণ
Old April 27, 2007, 09:12 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
about the big-hitters thing, if u have so many big-hitters as u guys r claiming, then y did bd turn up just 1 200+ score in the 7 full-length matches in the wc. with so many big-hitters there should have been atleast 5 200+ scores in the wc. bd could manage only 143 against england and 169 against ireland despite having so many "big-hitters"
Because they are not CONSISTENT. Most big hitters are not consistent, and I already gave you the example of one of the great big hitters in world cricket - Afridi, look at his average.

About Ireland, it was the bouncy pitch that not only us but most subcontinent have problems playing in.

Anyways, no point talking on this. What you need to do first is figure out the definition of "big hitter".