facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 3, 2005, 04:48 PM
Test Cricketer

Default Is Bangladesh the craziest cricket nation?

Where can you find a country with cricket being something just more than a sport to the 140 million citizens of a nation, its fanatic people greeting every minor successes with wild celebrations, cricket being played on roads, streets and any place laid bare, and where flocks of crowd of over 40,000 appear to see the lowest category of matches of U-19 tournament, and the players representing those minor countries are overwhelmed, which would be so morbid if the same tournament would be hosted in any other country. There should be no conjectures left in knowing that Bangladesh is the most craziest and eccentric cricketing nation. However, according to my rough calculations, there are more than 140 billion people(not at all specified to approximate value) who take interest in this game or follow the sport, which hardly makes some 15% of the total world population. Nevertheless, I have rated down the ten test cricket nations in an ascending order of their greatest and least interest in the game. The order is not arranged in the quantity, but quality of enthusiasm they posses for the sport:
1) Bangladesh(craziest cricket nation)
2) India
3) Pakistan
4) Sri Lanka
5) West Indies
6) South Africa
7) Zimbabwe
8) Australia
9) England
10) New Zealand(least interested in cricket)
Please share your opinions with me to your heart's content and feel free to post your order of differnt countries' interest in this game. Thanks a bunch.

Old July 3, 2005, 05:19 PM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

israr,

I think we are really into it as we have yet to prove ourselves fully on the international stage. I think once we get to that stage, the hype may die down to India's level. And as for New Zealand being the least interested, good call! Living in New Zealand, I know exactly what youre talking about! Rugby takes priority here.
Old July 3, 2005, 08:33 PM
Test Cricketer

also cant agree with west indies in number 5. i read an article sometime last year that they are having trouble even finding young people to play cricket nowadays. they are more interested in basketball. sorry dont have the link to the article so it may not be true, but that was the impression i got.
Old July 3, 2005, 08:48 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: nadif chowdhury

And are the zimbabweans still interested in cricket?? If i was there, i would be more concerned about robert mugabe..

Edited on, July 4, 2005, 1:49 AM GMT, by cricfanz.
Reason: typo
Old July 3, 2005, 09:04 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

Quote:
Originally posted by israr
However, according to my rough calculations, there are more than 140 billion people(not at all specified to approximate value) who take interest in this game or follow the sport
What calculator did you use mate? 1,000 (one thousand) million makes a billion.

I am not sure but England should be up, atleast with football they are crazy as hell!! Not in any positive way either...they are just crazy..
Old July 3, 2005, 09:09 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

damn even if you thought 100 mil to be a bil.. I just can't figure out how you got to 140 bil.

and it's not a typo that's for sure.... 1.40 billion .. PERHAPS!! but NO.. taht's not hardly 15%

I would be very interested to know how you came up with it... just curiosity.. thanks
Old July 3, 2005, 09:17 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

I would put Zimbabwe last by a long way. South Africa's not even more passionate than Australia, they have hockey and netball and soccer to interest them.
Old July 3, 2005, 09:18 PM
Cricket Legend

1. Bangladesh
2. India
3. Australia
4. Pakistan
5. England
6. Sri Lanka
7. West Indies
8. South Africa
9. New Zealand
10. Zimbabwe
Old July 3, 2005, 09:44 PM
Administrator

Australia has the "misfortune" of being home to a classic sport - asussie rules football. That will surely siphon off some support.
Old July 3, 2005, 09:54 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Don't want to jinx anyone

In Australia, Aussie Rules and Rugby are king, and cricket is 3rd in line. In fact, with soccer becoming more popular among kids, cricket will eventually become 4th...

But, cricket is in the culture here. It's part of the landscape. The feeling of sitting back on a summer holiday and watching teh boxing day test, having a BBQ with friends - we aussies love it!

Here's my list/order:

1. India
2. Bangladesh
3. Pakistan
4. Australia
5. England
6. Sri Lanka
7. West Indies
8. South Africa
=9. New Zealand
=9. Zimbabwe
Old July 3, 2005, 10:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by jabbar
In Australia, Aussie Rules and Rugby are king, and cricket is 3rd in line. In fact, with soccer becoming more popular among kids, cricket will eventually become 4th...

But, cricket is in the culture here. It's part of the landscape. The feeling of sitting back on a summer holiday and watching teh boxing day test, having a BBQ with friends - we aussies love it!

Here's my list/order:

1. India
2. Bangladesh
3. Pakistan
4. Australia
5. England
6. Sri Lanka
7. West Indies
8. South Africa
=9. New Zealand
=9. Zimbabwe
It's all a matter of location. In Melbourne or the Northern Territory Australian Rules is a religion while in Sydney the league is the big thing. I still think cricket is Australia's favourite sport along with rugby. Soccer will never be as big in this country until we start making the World Cup regularly. Cricket is the only sport we dominate, swimming is getting close but apart from the swimmers and coaches no-one cares. I would be interested in the numbers of people who compete in the respective sports in Australia. I think there's a fair chance that cricket would top them all. Rugby is really only for the eastern states and many children don't play it because it's too dangerous. I say they're soft
Old July 3, 2005, 10:29 PM
Test Cricketer

i think even sri lankans are more interested than australians.
Old July 3, 2005, 10:36 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

Awesome
Old July 3, 2005, 10:47 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Alastair Cook

Crazy mane? definately we r the most cricket craziest nation out there. Everything you said israr, is true. It`s so unbelievable that how passionate we are about cricket. As a nation, we r so damn passionate anyways and that reflects in our music, dramas and other cultural activities.

Cricket, however, has brought rich and poor, kids, youth and old - everyone under a common interest which is very encouraging.

Bangladesh wins a match, in home or abroad, fans run out to the field. Bangladesh wins, deserts are shared among neighbours. It doesn`t matter which major political party holds the power, BCB has been slow but fair for the development of cricket.

Only thing we need is BCB to continue its development programs, may be forming a female cricket team soon, building necessary training facilities and explore oppotunities for these youngstar. We still have our craziest fantasy due, yea...and that is the day we bring the world cup home. I have no doubt we will.

Edited on, July 4, 2005, 3:48 AM GMT, by Mav.
Old July 4, 2005, 01:30 AM
Club Cricketer

i dont agree on your ranking israr..........as someone said bangladesh is divided between two cultures.one is football and the other is cricket which is more favourable to the elite class..
Cricket is more famous among the younger generation as the older ones even dont have a clue about the game.
your ranking for bangladesh being at the top is valid only in the cities . Go to the villages and there is a completely different scene.
India is much more cricket crazy than Bangladesh and Pakistan too can defeat bangladesh in these regard...
Cricket in India is like football in brazil.
According to statistics the Indian government suffer great losses during cricket matches because majority of the population are engaged in watching the matches(especially against pakistan)RATHER THAN GOING TO OFFICE..
India and pakistan have a much more cricketing crowd bangladesh could ever had..BUT.the crowd here could increase if there r more wins for bangladesh
Old July 4, 2005, 01:59 AM
First Class Cricketer

1.BD
2,Ind
3.Pak
4.WI
5. Sri
6. Eng
7. Aus
8. SA
9. NZ
10. zim
Old July 4, 2005, 04:07 AM
Test Cricketer

1. IND
2. BD
3. Pak
4. SL
5. Eng
6. Aus
7. SA
8. WI
9. NZ
10. Zim

there are a lot of cricket crazy ppl in BD, but there are millions who don't know much about the game. speically ppl living abroad. whereas almost all indians are cricket fans. so, i think BD comes 2nd.
Old July 4, 2005, 04:26 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC Design Team

Favorite Player: Shahriar Biddyut

Bangladesh, I think, is by far the craziest cricket mad nation. Imagine a tour match against the British Universities gets online interest from so many people that it becomes one of the most replied topics in Banglacricket.com. Yeah I understand that it was the first game of the BD and so on, but still... gotta be the craziest cricket mad nation, no doubt. The order, for me, would come like this :

1. Ban
2. Ind
3. Pak
4. Eng / SL
6. Aus
7. WI
8. SA
9. NZ
10. Zim
Old July 4, 2005, 05:06 AM
Cricket Legend

I can't understand why England would be rated above Australia by anyone
Old July 4, 2005, 05:35 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC Design Team

Favorite Player: Shahriar Biddyut

well, james, england probably is more mad about soccer and cricket (equally) than australia is (about cricket). Isnt it rugby thats more popular there than cricket ? Plus I think aussies like olympic sports such as boating and swimming and beach volleyball, etc more than cricket. I might be wrong....well, what say, James ?
Old July 4, 2005, 05:45 AM
First Class Cricketer

bangladesh for sure. India is also another great exmaple. india used to be the craziest, but i think those bet controversy caught them little bit.

But if u count on passion for cricket, Bd should be the craziest. have you guys seen the gallery of the stadium during the Zim-Bd one day mathes? Man..they were piling on each other. Those were dead risky.

No doubt in my mind, BD is the craziest for cricket. And football? hahaha...well i still support Abahani, but our footbal is plain dismal story.

Cricket is kind of the only sports people care about now. I think after india, the rest countires are distance ranked.
Old July 4, 2005, 07:08 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

I will give India @ 1........and Cant divide between Bangladesh and Pakistan........both @ 2...........
Reason behind backing India @ 1 is the no. of crowd in test matches.........we dont have big crowd in test matches....that means we dont have huge ppl who understands the game well.........in bangladesh most ppl understands 4's and 6's....i think India is in better possition than us in this regard.......Personally i was very unhappy when i saw only 1/2 thousand ppl in Chittagong on the final day of the test match against Zimbabwe......so, i dont think we are at no. 1 right now........but after some wins......deffinitely we will become and our ppl will know the game better also by time.
Old July 4, 2005, 07:15 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

1. India
2. Bangladesh & Pakistan
3. Australia & England
4. Srilanka
5. South Africa
6. New-Zealand & West Indies
7. Zimbabwe
Old July 4, 2005, 07:26 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Jayasuria

1 india
2 bangladesh
3 pakistan
4 sri lanka
5 west indies
6 australia
7 england, south africa
8 new zealand
9 zimbabwe

i put england 7 with SA cos they show more enthusiasm for rugby and football (soccer for yanks) especially here in england.
Old July 4, 2005, 07:46 AM
Test Cricketer

India = BD
Pakistan
SL
England (more serious about tests than ODI)
Australia
WI
SA
NZ
Zimbabwe