facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 27, 2012, 11:29 AM
Club Cricketer

Default How to revolutionalise sport in BD

I have been thinking about this for a while. Not just BD but subcon sportsman in general just do not look like sportsman. Their physic, athletism etc when comparing with others in europe and africa, is very poor. They look like average people not professional sportsman who have been in training.

I think a good solution to this would be if sports academies "adopted" young homeless children. The children will get food, shelter, and education from the academies. The academies will be able to groom these children for various sport whether it be cricket, football etc. They will raise them with a controlled healthy diet to improve physic, they will educate them on speaking foreign languages. They will help them master sport as they will train properly from a young age.

This is just my opinion. Might sound crazy to some, but I think this will help get kids out of poverty and will improve the sportsman of the future.

Old September 27, 2012, 12:32 PM
Banned

Bhalo khelowar hoite chaile, choto belar thike, kheloarer moto boro hote hoy. Eikhane baba maar obodan beshi thakte hoy! Kintu 90% bangalira ta korena. Baba ma tader bacchader ke boro kore doctor/engineer howar jonno..khelowar na! R amader hope hoilo r 10 percent jara shakiber moto kore boro hoy! Fitness diet and all those need to be taken care of.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)
Old September 27, 2012, 01:18 PM
ODI Cricketer

Its all about hunger to succeed and attitude, dont want to hear BS excuses... there are many Bengalis (mostly ones outside BD) who have excellent physique/ athletic ability because they are not involved in that loser excuse culture and they work as hard as anyone else.
Old September 27, 2012, 02:47 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLara7
Its all about hunger to succeed and attitude, dont want to hear BS excuses... there are many Bengalis (mostly ones outside BD) who have excellent physique/ athletic ability because they are not involved in that loser excuse culture and they work as hard as anyone else.
Hunger alone has not helped mortaza or ash! Hunger is a motivational term, which alone is pointless. Hunger drives mortaza to keep coming back after injuries and ops but it does not make him any better.

Our problem lies in our culture, our diet, our young. The commitment is not enforced from a young age.

In the UK parents start taking their children from the age of 5-6+ to football training after school and on weekends. Some require a lot of commitment as a lot of travelling and early morning starts is required. Asking a 5-6 year old to make such commitments that young is hard work. This is where you need the parents to enforce commitment in the child and get them up for training, make sure they attend training all the time etc....just like deshi parents do with school.

You can't blame the parents entirely either, the BD cricket team at present has not convinced parents that sport is a good occupation, who wants their child to be a part of a losing team??
Old September 27, 2012, 03:08 PM
Cricket Sage

One way to revolutionize cricket is iLotus Kamal should propose handicapped system. Based on ranking (which is based on previous results) each team should be handicapped to make game more compitative. For example underdog team gets 2 extra overs or one more outs i.e. underdog’s best talented player gets one extra out. In Bangladesh’s case it would be Ashraful I am guessing. fficeffice" />
Old September 27, 2012, 05:08 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

First step would be to realize and accept that it is okay to do something other than educational related... nerds.
Old September 27, 2012, 05:11 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

I say, start Hunger Games.
Old September 27, 2012, 08:09 PM
Cricket Savant

by NOT playing it?
Old September 27, 2012, 08:28 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Ji OMG bahi, we need a genuine Marxist cricketer/sportsman in our country foirst, then we can have it !
Old September 28, 2012, 04:36 AM
Club Cricketer

'It's hard to teach a old dog new tricks' is the saying, and its largely true. You need to spot talent when they are very young. In UK they introduce children to sport from very young age 5-6. Some of the childrens football clubs would not take on a child older than 11-12 as they consider them too old to be groomed correctly.

I don't know how young the BD cricketers are when they start getting professional training even at local club level but I doubt its young enough im guessing.

Inspiration is key, thats why we not only need present BD team to do very well to become respected but we need them to do very well to inspire the future sportsmen.
Old September 28, 2012, 04:41 AM
Club Cricketer

What do people think about the idea of academies becpming like boarding school and taking on homeless children and grooming them in to sportsmen?
Old September 28, 2012, 09:33 AM
Cricket Legend

Its a real mystery. Is it the infrastructure? Culture? Mindset? Physical attributes? Training and development? It shouldnt be difficult to be world class at least in one sport. I bet even if we create a new sport, India will be better at it in 6 months.

Funny how New Zealand a country of 4 million can be so damn good in sports. Forget cricket and rugby. In 2010 they were ranked just 10-15 places ahead of us in FIFA Rankings (150sth). Somehow they managed to get into the WC 2010 in South Africa. And there they managed to draw 3 matches even against Italy.

In the 2010 SAFF Games in Bangladesh, Afghanistan finished number 6, 3 places after us. Whats the beat they will beat us next year in New Delhi.
Old September 28, 2012, 12:16 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG
What do people think about the idea of academies becpming like boarding school and taking on homeless children and grooming them in to sportsmen?
Oh my god,

while your intentions are good, but I don't think we should interfere on a children's personal space of dreams of what to do with their life... plus huge amount of resource is needed which may not be feasible, and other than grooming up CIA like ultrasuperspy players, at that tender age they need more of care, love and la-la land. But as i said, your intention and heart is in the right place.
Old September 28, 2012, 12:23 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir

Start school, college, uni level competition and keep them away from politics.
Old September 28, 2012, 01:23 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG
Why just take homeless children? Just because they are unfortunate and are orphaned doesn't mean they should not get education and be forced into sports. They should be allowed to pursue their own ambitions.

Speaking of academy and professional training, we do have BKSP where hard work and discipline are taught. From Shakib's interview, he left his parents in Magura and permanently moved to BKSP, Savar in class 6-7. He used to wake up at 5:30 AM everyday for routine physical work and more. So if you are speaking of sporting academies, BKSP is there and we can open more branches outside of the Savar one. I believe they were opening a new one in Sylhet.
Old September 28, 2012, 01:37 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
Oh my god,

while your intentions are good, but I don't think we should interfere on a children's personal space of dreams of what to do with their life... plus huge amount of resource is needed which may not be feasible, and other than grooming up CIA like ultrasuperspy players, at that tender age they need more of care, love and la-la land. But as i said, your intention and heart is in the right place.
They are homeless....what dreams are they going to have when they cant even eat and have no family? This way they have food and shelter and a occupatiom at the end for the best performing.

Reason I was focusing on them is so that a new breed of sportsman who actually look like and act like sportsman can be produced.

As has been mentioned in this thread, our culture is not sporty hence why the support from family and even commitment from the sportsman themslves such as training in gym and eating right is not there.

Look at what we have now? These guys look like they do nothing but nets...they dont look like they watch what they eat or go gym. Coaching cant control what they do after nets.

Hence why I think homeless kids who are raised by the academies can be hugely better guided in this aspect. They wont have family holding them back.

Its pretty far fetched for our country I know and I am not saying is should happen, it just crossed my mind and I wanted other opinioms on it as i saw it as a way to help with poverty and sport.
Old September 28, 2012, 02:14 PM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG
They are homeless....what dreams are they going to have when they cant even eat and have no family? This way they have food and shelter and a occupatiom at the end for the best performing.
Have you really thought this through?... If you have resources to build an academy that could train and raise homeless children into sports champs than obviously you could use the same resources to instead provide education and let them choose their own lives!
Old September 28, 2012, 02:52 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
Have you really thought this through?... If you have resources to build an academy that could train and raise homeless children into sports champs than obviously you could use the same resources to instead provide education and let them choose their own lives!
This scheme would be to develope sportstars of the future not lawyers, drs, and accountants as there are already schools for that. Our culture is all about trying to get in to those professions as mentioned in a post earliar. We need sport to be considered a good occupation to aim for too.

Obviously there are better causes to spend money on, but thats like saying why have a cricket team when the money from players salaries can be better spent on this or that...or why have bpl when money from bpl can be better spent on this or that. Problem is we do have a cricket team and we also need good players coming through which is why I mentioned this as a way this possibly could happen, along side whatever they are doing now.
Old September 29, 2012, 11:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shak,TI,Mash,Mushy,Dravid

There should be national sports events or tournaments at the school level like we have for other cultural activities.. Something like Notun Kuri or Jatio shishu Puroshkar protijogita.. It would be better if it's televised (BTV will do) .. That will make the parents all enthusiastic and the kids as well.. The competition level will be much higher as the kids will have to compete from the district level to division level and then finally coming to he spotlight.. From my personal experience I can say this level of competition improves the skills and mental strength of a kid.. So many great singers/painters/debaters/actors came out of these competitions in BD.. I am sure it will do the same for sports.. I personally know how much dedications the parents shows for such high level of competitions .. So they will be more interested to bring their kids in sports and groom them up for it... It doesn't even require huge budget.. If you can just manage 1 or 2 sponsors every year that will do..
Old September 29, 2012, 11:59 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shak,TI,Mash,Mushy,Dravid

For our national cricket team I would just love to add 1 thing.. They should introduce this system where the players will get bonus after a win but there will be a certain percentage of deduction from their salary after every loss and the bonus/deduction will depend on their contribution in that win/loss.. I know it's never going to happen... kintu shotti shotti kharap khelar jonno penalize korar system thaka uchit noile din er por din era kharap kheltei thakbe r eder kono matha bethai thakena..
Old September 29, 2012, 01:03 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

^ What is this the kitchen? or a cricket team?
Old September 29, 2012, 07:29 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Quote:
Originally Posted by oronnya
They should introduce this system where the players will get bonus after a win but there will be a certain percentage of deduction from their salary after every loss and the bonus/deduction will depend on their contribution in that win/loss
if they did this then the players would be bankrupt
Old September 29, 2012, 07:36 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by oronnya
For our national cricket team I would just love to add 1 thing.. They should introduce this system where the players will get bonus after a win but there will be a certain percentage of deduction from their salary after every loss and the bonus/deduction will depend on their contribution in that win/loss.. I know it's never going to happen... kintu shotti shotti kharap khelar jonno penalize korar system thaka uchit noile din er por din era kharap kheltei thakbe r eder kono matha bethai thakena..
That's it. Cut the pockets for a loss and pay for victories, everything else will move in the right direction.

These illiterate, self respect less creatures need to be hurt where it matters most...they don't play for even 1% pride, they play for only and only money... 100% money, if you want to create a culture of winning and pride.. You need to begin with hurting the pockets, until winning becomes a habit and a matter of pride.

[Well, there may be exceptions... Compensate for individual performances and pay like day labors rates to the rest. That will also offend some day labors, as they put in much more efforts to earn that and don't enjoy a 5 star life apart from the payment]