facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 19, 2018, 12:20 PM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purbasha T
Why are they so unhappy I don't understand!

We beat them fair and square even after the umpire favoured them with those no-ball calls in the last over of that "semi-final"- if they were fair and had real sportsmanship, they'd have accepted that!

Shakib threatened to forfeit so that the issue of inconsistent umpiring against Bangladesh comes to the fore. He had the right cause at heart but of course could've gone about it in a more gamely fashion - but even still nothing against Sri Lanka there, they just happened to be the opposition in that game!

Nurul got in Thisara's face (although somewhat un-street-wisely) because he got pushed by an SL player (it was reported by Cricinfo as well).

Also a tight game like that of course you're gonna celebrate a bit wildly after you win (I personally wouldn't have but that's just me and my own way of doing things) - especially after the SL players and also the whole SL stadium were imitating it during the match!

If you can't take it, why dish out?
Sri Lankans are subcontinental fans after all. Bangladesh doing the cobra dance after winning probably came off as arrogant and rubbing salt on the wounds of the Sri Lankan fans. It's the same reason they (and Bangladeshi fans) dislike Virat Kohli.

Old March 19, 2018, 12:33 PM
Club Cricketer

Location: Earth, Solar Neighbourhood, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster
Favorite Player: Sourav Ganguly

I still don't understand why SL (or Ind for that matter) would feel bad on seeing the Cobra dance. It's just funny...but I guess some folks dont have same sense of humour.
Old March 19, 2018, 12:34 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyBangla
I still don't understand why SL (or Ind for that matter) would feel bad on seeing the Cobra dance. It's just funny...but I guess some folks dont have same sense of humour.
Probably because they are used to Bangladesh being called the Tigers; and that they have moved away from that and changed into a Snake?
Old March 19, 2018, 12:40 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Shakib,Fizz

Quote:
If a team beats you at home during your own independence celebration, you are more likely to nitpick everything they do. Cobra dance is a good one to make fun of. Just let them be.
Old March 19, 2018, 01:20 PM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
I think it kind of started from Mushfiqur Rahim's celebration when he chased down Sri Lanka's score in that first match. Looked like he was having a go at the bowler. It just snowballed from there and in the next game between the two sides, everyone at the stadium was either doing the cobra dance or the snake charmer gesture.

What happened that night only made matters worse.
Old March 19, 2018, 09:47 PM
Club Cricketer

I am Sri Lankan and I d like to add something very honestly and impartially. I don't think that there is any other who have been supporting Bangladesh cricket more than the Sri Lankan's. Of course outside of Bangladesh. Even though I did not like Bangladesh cricket much, I saw how much,almost every Lankan fan enjoyed your success. Whenever we lost to you it was hurtful but always with the understanding that "they are improving." In recent times our fans have come to realize that you guys are not just improving but a team that belongs in the top league and that we are no where near the team that we used to be. So there is no shame in losing to a better team.
Now let me tell you how this has turned upside down. Take me; I have been a close observer of Bangladesh cricket ever since Asia Cup 1997. Akhtar Ali khan won a lot of admirers here for a well made 70 odd runs in that tournament I remember. But I have been wary ever since I got to know how BCB sacked Gordon Greenidge for expressing his views on Bangladesh being not ready yet for test cricket.
We all know what followed and how Bangladesh entered test cricket for reasons other than cricket and the torture the players of early years were put through by an unmerciful and demanding management and fans. Actually they have sacrificed their honor for the rise of your cricket but you guys never seem to recognize that.
All of the above are just my thoughts on Bangladesh cricket.
Other Sri Lankan fans took pleasure in your improvement. However some events even though very brief put a distaste. The Mushfiqur Rahim incident where he pushed away a Sri Lankan batsman trying to check on a Bangladeshi close in fielder who was hit by a ball that he played. It was an act of sheer arrogance and South Asians don't do that.
Most Sri Lankan's accepted that there was an impiring blunder and it was not a scheme of sorts against Bangladesh. I think the players reacted too much.
Wild celebrations happen all the time but keep it to you. Making gestures at the audience is always offensive. Waving to them and bowing down are the kinds of gestures you make to the spectators. Not cobra gestures. The glass breaking incident was the last straw. Even though there is no proof against any player, we hear the said player has got away only because of a lack of video evidence. Most Sri Lankan's have held Bangladesh players in high esteem and this has shattered that image. Of course I do admit that them collectively supporting India too was a highly emotional reaction.
These are just my thoughts and an effort to present a different perspective with all due respect.
Thank you.
Old March 19, 2018, 10:29 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Thank you for your thougths kfiroz. The only wrong thing from our side I saw was perhaps Nurul shouldn't have pointed his finger at the captain of the opposing team though he claims captain was foul cursing him constantly. Mahmudullah rightfully rebuked him on the spot - it was well caught. He got away lightly I think. And our management should have a word with him.

Apart from that - Shakib might have jestured to bring players out - But the fact is BD didn't pull out but played on. And he apologized later.

And that glass broken picture is just pure intentional negative image portrayed the lankan reporter - a desperate act to portray bd as bad when they failed to beat us on field twice.

THe srilanka supporting India was not surprising but rather expected at this time. And I loved it. Every single nagin gestures by players (ie flute gesture by sl), fans of either side.. I loved it.

The only thing that was missing from was Bangladesh couldn;t topple India unfortunately. And it would have been fitting had bangaldesh won - for one of the player (ie sabbir does it at home sometimes) to go point to the crowd with one hand and gesture to "be quiet" "shhh" with the other hand..

That would have set things on fire for some good rivalry between these two teams in future. We are living bangaldesh's cricketing history on its way up. and along the way if we can't make real enemies - we are not doing our job.

my opinion.
Old March 19, 2018, 10:37 PM
Club Cricketer

Respect your opinion. Bangladesh if not all cricketers should polish their communication and PR skills too. I can remember once a Bangladesh player calling and English player "ordinary' perhaps without understanding it's true meaning. That created quite a stir in the English press.
Old March 19, 2018, 10:59 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Kohli

The issue is there are good and bad apples everywhere.We cannot generalise. And fans should remember this is a game after all.
Old March 19, 2018, 11:01 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfirooz
Respect your opinion. Bangladesh if not all cricketers should polish their communication and PR skills too. I can remember once a Bangladesh player calling and English player "ordinary' perhaps without understanding it's true meaning. That created quite a stir in the English press.
That was Tamim Iqbal on the penultimate day of the test match vs Zimbabwe in 2011. Bangladesh were set a 350-odd target on Day 5 in this game - Zimambwe's comeback test after 8 years, mind you - and he came out and did a Sehwag but didn't follow through with the bat.

If he/they said some England-er was ordinary as well, I'm not aware of it.
Old March 19, 2018, 11:07 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vahroone
That was Tamim Iqbal on the penultimate day of the test match vs Zimbabwe in 2011. Bangladesh were set a 350-odd target on Day 5 in this game - Zimambwe's comeback test after 8 years, mind you - and he came out and did a Sehwag but didn't follow through with the bat.

If he/they said some England-er was ordinary as well, I'm not aware of it.
Tamim's brother Nafees Iqbal called English bowlers ordinary after he made 100 or something in a practice match. On field the England players taunted our players the whole series for that comment.

Some of you guys aren't aware of the abuse these guys get on the field by opposing teams and the crowd. You need a lot of mental toughness to do well in competetive sports. And then after they win , some nobody comes in and tells them how they should celebrate. GTFO!
Old March 19, 2018, 11:36 PM
Club Cricketer

Again, keep the celebrations, wild or not to your team like the Indians did after the final and if you are making a gesture to the gallery be sensitive. Because you don't understand all cultures. For Sri Lankans that was a sign of insult.
I stop on the subject at that and on Nafees Iqbal even then I felt he didn't truely understand the meaning of the word "ordinary". Again a case for choosing the right words or using your mother tongue if you are not comfortable with English.
Old March 20, 2018, 01:39 AM
ODI Cricketer

What has happened is really sad. Sri Lanka and Bangladesh always have had great relations, as countries, government to government, among fans and players. I hope all could forget what happened last Friday and move on.

As a Sri Lankan fan, I am happy that Sri Lanka lost that match simply because there's no sense of satisfaction in winning after such an umpiring error in a crucial last over. If Sri Lanka won and went on to win the trophy I'd always have dwelt on that umpiring error.

However the behaviour by some players as the following pictures show has gone a long way in spoiling our excellent relations.

Last edited by abherath; March 20, 2018 at 01:54 AM.. Reason: mod edit link formatting
Old March 20, 2018, 01:40 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Again, keep the celebrations, wild or not to your team like the Indians did after the final and if you are making a gesture to the gallery be sensitive. Because you don't understand all cultures. For Sri Lankans that was a sign of insult.
I==.
well I find it highly offensive and an insult that Srilanka in droves essentially played 12th man for a country they don't like in cricket and has cricketing history with in response to Bangladesh's defeat of them.

So it is appropriate for any gesture hurled at them. And shutting them at premadasa (in the final match) would have made the ultimate response and me very happy but as usual we messed up.
Old March 20, 2018, 01:47 AM
Cricket Legend

again nurul hasans finger pointing (though in responsse - doesn't matter) at the CAPTAIN was the only error though a big one. I wouldn't take it nicely if a nobody bench player from opposition point finger at Shakib. But shakib may not have hurled expletives. but no excuse for that.

In my opinion Srilanka crowd DIDN"t have enough. No excuse for such utter vile display of indianism at the final just to get to us essentially given Indian team the best boost to elevate their fielding and later batting like nothing.....
Old March 20, 2018, 02:15 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Nurul was out of line and he was told as such by Ryad the senior player. But as i understand from the news reports, Nurul did not engage Thisara, he carried drinks on to the field and it was Thisara who engaged him with expletives and told him to gtfo the field. What is captured in the picture is nurul reacting to that.
Sri Lankan team and BD team have enjoyed friendly relations for as long as i can remember and i am sure things will get back to normal despite nosy indian trolls having heartburns over an incident that has nothing to do with them. There are facebook idiots on both sides making a big issue and spreading false narratives and the less we pay attention to those classless ppl the better
Old March 20, 2018, 03:15 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

Good to see some mature Sri Lankan and Bangladeshi fans making some sense.

In the heat of the moment emotions run high especially during a close game.

Fans of both sides are throwing bouncers at each other which is also understandable due to what has transpired also things being made more spicy with trolls from other countries trying to put oil in the fire.

Let’s not try to belittle each other and finger point anymore. The tournament is over.
Old March 20, 2018, 03:21 AM
Club Cricketer

Yes and at the end of the day, cash-rich leagues will unite them all.
Old March 20, 2018, 05:59 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: AirBus A340

Its like this....(analogy time), its like the number 69. You get what you give. Now some immature fans not like me obviously will think of this as a (intercourse position) but think about it rationally. analyse the 6 and the 9, its a fundamentally basic principle.

You get(9) what you give(6) therefore 69.
Old March 20, 2018, 07:23 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Yes and at the end of the day, cash-rich leagues will unite them all.
Yep. Sri Lankan players need BPL, and i am pretty sure when SL organizes their T20 competition, quite a few of our guys will play there.

All will be forgotten amongst players.

Fans...not sure
Old March 20, 2018, 09:12 AM
Cricket Guru

If Nurul was abused for no reason while carrying drinks, then good on him for giving it back. Glad he isn't the putu putu type.
Old March 20, 2018, 09:30 AM
Club Cricketer

I suppose Bangladesh players have improved their credibility ?
Old March 20, 2018, 10:32 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

I would not mind if local clubs and BPL drag it down to a minimum participation, bid of Lankan players. No point boosting and helping their players financially after such ungrateful reactions.
Old March 20, 2018, 11:11 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by paindu
I suppose Bangladesh players have improved their credibility ?
Yes they have! So smart of you to notice
Old March 20, 2018, 11:48 AM
Club Cricketer

http://island.lk/index.php?page_cat=...e_title=181734

The writer is credible