facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

View Poll Results: Your No 6 postion!!!!
Alok 32 47.06%
Aftab 32 47.06%
Rahim 4 5.88%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 13, 2006, 07:20 PM
Cricket Legend
WC 2015 Fantasy Winner

Default Your no 6 position!!

Aftab have raised concern about his test placement against Aussies. Before the series almost all BC members including me supported aftab to include in the test XI and blamed Selectors for continously basing him in. But i think its time to face the reality. He wasnt in control, out of temperment, wrong ball selection have changed my mind and more membes i think. I know he wasnt free to play shots as he usually do but thats what test cricket is. You have to have the sticky, temperment, bad ball selection ability in test. when he come to crease at no 6 spinner usually bowl and i have to say he is not comfortable at all against spin.

Lets have a vote to see whom most BC members want in no 6 postion.

Old April 13, 2006, 07:28 PM
Street Cricketer

Agree!! Aftab is my favourate batsman. Wish he will learn quickly to back the test squad.
Old April 13, 2006, 07:38 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Even though I'm very disappointed by Aftab's performance, it's probably wise not to replace him straight away coz it'll shatter his confidence as it is... but if he's to be replaced I'll go for Alok since he's also a leg-spinner he should have some understanding how to play Warne & MacGill.
Old April 13, 2006, 07:45 PM
Street Cricketer

Pretty disappoint. at least he shoulnt picked against Aus in 2nd Test. no 6 postion is very importnat for bangladesh thats where u need to stop the collusp.
Old April 13, 2006, 09:04 PM
Cricket Legend

before i didnt believe the selectors word but now after seeing the match i do feel that he is a little vulnerable against quality spin bowling but doesnt mean he should be dropped. he can only learn by playing more..
Old April 13, 2006, 09:36 PM
Cricket Legend
WC 2015 Fantasy Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereWeGo
before i didnt believe the selectors word but now after seeing the match i do feel that he is a little vulnerable against quality spin bowling but doesnt mean he should be dropped. he can only learn by playing more..
but u vote for dropping him
Old April 13, 2006, 10:51 PM
Street Cricketer

well...its not only aftab should go...Javed omar should have replaced by Nafis. He is still pathetic like always. Why wouldnt u give a when Nafis has learnt from his mistake and in form. He is solid batsman for opener.

Javed suckssss
Old April 13, 2006, 10:58 PM
Cricket Legend

My vote goes to Alok. I know Alok hasnt done anything special but I always thought he cud be a good no 6 batsman. Aftab is still an ODI player.
Old April 13, 2006, 11:11 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD Tigers
My vote goes to Alok. I know Alok hasnt done anything special but I always thought he cud be a good no 6 batsman. Aftab is still an ODI player.
I did vote for Alok and I agreed whole heartedly with your remark.
Old April 13, 2006, 11:18 PM
First Class Cricketer

Aftab is also my favorite but I think he should be out for his own good and can come back after showing some good performance in longer version games like 4 day macthes.
I went for Alok, I saw him agianst SL and he looked very confident against spin which he was lacking during the time he was dropped. But looked like he worked hard to get used to spins.

Also, I think we should make one more changes- Nafis should be in for Golla.

It would be a mistake if we selectors do not make any change, I belief by doing so Aus will need some time to have somekind of game plan for these players. New players will boost the energy level as well.
Old April 13, 2006, 11:26 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

Totally in agreement with real123. I think at this point its proven that Javed Omar is pretty consistent ( in his scoring 20 runs the most) and we need to replace him with nafis. Atleast the latter has the temparment, potential, skills to score more runs. For Aftab, his blood is still too hot for Test... so lets keep him for ODIs. Alok is a better option for his batting skills, useful legspins, superb feilding.. The question is will the selector break the winning ( glorious defeat) combination..?
Old April 13, 2006, 11:34 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Sakib

Aftab needs to stay away from Test cricket for sometime and should play in A team and domestic. For the 2nd test I would go with Alok. I am not in favor of knee jerk reaction but for his sack and BD team sack we should let him grow first.
Javed must stay, no nafis iqbal deal, he is a big time fisherman.
Old April 13, 2006, 11:49 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Sometimes we blame our selectors for being too shaky and losing faith on a player just after playing him in 1/2 matches.

Now it is us fans who are being inconsistant by losing faith in Aftab just in 1 match. And he did not do that bad either. He is a bad player of spin yet had to come out when the game was only spinning.
Old April 14, 2006, 12:21 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ricky Ponting

Ridiculous really. How can so many of you vote for Alok. What has he done to warrant selection? Aftab deserves more than 1 Test to prove himself against the worlds best. I think you all have amnesia or something. Aftab had a poor first innings in the 1st Test against England last year (coming out in cavalier fashion and blasting a highly irresponsible 24 runs off 14 balls), but he bounced back hard and hit a wonderfull unbeaten 82 in the second innings of the 2nd Test. He deserves this chance to prove himself yet again. This is not the time to drop him.

Last edited by Mr-Cricket; April 14, 2006 at 01:00 AM..
Old April 14, 2006, 01:35 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib, Tamim, Tendulkar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Cricket
Ridiculous really. How can so many of you vote for Alok. What has he done to warrant selection? Aftab deserves more than 1 Test to prove himself against the worlds best.
can not agree more...alok at 6 ....HELL NO...how many change alok need more to preform..he is the luckest cricketer in resent past...he cant score runs...he cant take wicket...what role he play in the team...how come this cricketer get so many chances....ALL THE ALOK LOVERS GIVE US A BREAK .....my vote goes to aftab...please let him play...
Old April 14, 2006, 01:44 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Aftab, without any doubt.

Enough has been done to damage his confidence. He deserves lot more chances than just one in the next test.
Old April 14, 2006, 01:45 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

dropping aftab is not at all a wise move ..... you have to give a player several matcvhes to prove himself ... time and again i hv mentioned this on this forum....dropping him will only make him more confused bcoz then he wont be playing his natural game and the only way he will be a success is by playing his natural game.... players like him dont perform every game by contributing 40 to 50 runs.... players like perform sporadically but with little gaps in between and when they do perform they take the match away or at least makes a significant difference... most importantly he has only played 10 test matches and has been already droppped sometimes in the past .... he has not got a long run to prove himself .. instead hi omission frm the sri lanka squad was a terrible decision whic dented his confidence and probaly made him confused about how he shud play ...i see tht alok is leading the polls which means a lot of you hv voted for him ...well it is opinion nd i respect it but i just want to ask this ...how much did alok score in the test matches with sri lanka even compared to aftab's two innings here against australia? i think the only reason alok is getting the vote is based on his one day performance against kenya more specifically his half century which was crucial against kenya ... does that really warrant a place in the test team .... i think not .... the thing is aftab is so talented nd so much is expected of him tht even whn he scores high 20's ppl r angry at him nd rightly so ..... but i m sure if alok had scored two 30 's ppl wud be singing his praise saying he did very welll ... thts coz expectations frm alok is not as huge as expectations frm aftab which is y aftab's failures come out looking big whereas everyone forgot tht alok had a looooonnnnnnnggggg run in which he proved what i think of him ... he is not worthy of playing in the national team at the expense of players much better than him.... nd his leg spin does not warrant a place in the team as well .... he is a terrible bowler .... his hattrick might hv been all luck as far as i m concerned... i saw tht test match nd i saw his bowling ... absolutely nothing to write home abt .. nd i hv seen his recent bowling as well .... he is a lesser replica of upul chandana for sri lanka ... does not turn the ball tht much nd just bowls line and length .... but for alok he does not turn the ball tht much doesnt hv variations in his bowling neither does he maintain line and length consistently ... at best he can be used in one day matches to bowl a few overs .... but thts it ...there is no comparison between alok and aftab in my opinion nd there is no doubt in my mind who is the better nd more deserving player.... if aftab gets a chance in the second test as well then i m sure he will prove the point ...
Old April 14, 2006, 01:47 AM
Test Cricketer

i would prefer for alok in place of aftab. my mind says, alok will come back just as in the case of rajin... ashraful is also need a break....
Old April 14, 2006, 01:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

ohh nd one more thing i forgot to mention .... my friend who played alongside me in my school cricket team was a better legspinner than alok kapali .... neone who is frm my school nd has seen him in action will vouch for tht .... so alok is utter rubbish where his bowling is concerned.... batting wise he is ok but definitely not comparable to aftab
Old April 14, 2006, 02:02 AM
Cricket Legend

this thread will put a smile on Mushifqur Rahim's face as he bides his time!

I don't agree one bit about shattering alok or aftab's confidence by making a change. Both are in the squad and at least aftab figures prominently in the national team's rotation. Making a change for one game is not going to shatter his confidence. Having said that I don't know if Alok wil fare much better but at least he may not piss off people with a stupid dismissal at the end of the day as often. I was dissapointed to not see Aftab bowl when we only had two pacers - the #6 should be used to bowl as well, and Bashar hardly does that.
Old April 14, 2006, 02:37 AM

Sooner or later Aftab must have to play TEST cricket for us, He must have to learn how to build an innings and partnership. Having said the how bad Aftab may have done compare to Alok in NEXT test? I don't see much different except Alok's spin bowling, but we are not in short of bowler anyway. So what the point of dropping Aftab at this moment just after one test?

Besides, Aftab should have more chance compare to chance master Alok I think.
Old April 14, 2006, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

i think we are being a bit harsh on aftab here. we are showing the same kind of immaturity that our selectors have displayed year after year.

enough has been done to kill the guy's confidence in the first place. the selectors should simply have let him play his natural game, and picked him against sri lanka. he would probably have made a few mistakes, learnt the game on his own, and done a lot better against australia.

either you take him or you don't, and i was always in favour of including him in the test squad; and now that he's in, it will be very unfair to him if we dropped him after only a single test. the selectors should give him the opportunity to develop his game in this version. the last thing you want is a broken aftab trying to slow down his odi innings as well in an attempt to make it to the test XI, making a mess of everything and, eventually, missing out on the XI for the inter-para tournament.
Old April 14, 2006, 08:22 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Just like rajin he (Aftab) will learn. May be not at that rate but he would be more devastating test player in couple of years. At this age most of the aussies were working hard to get into their regional squad let alone in dealing in the international stage. We need him for the next Aus, Eng, SA, NZ away series.

Last edited by Tigers_eye; April 14, 2006 at 10:07 AM..
Old April 14, 2006, 10:03 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Since we gave Aftab a chance in the first test, we have to go with him for the second test. We can't make the same mistake that we made with Kapali in Srilanka series where we gave him only one test to prove his worth. I really like Kapali and I know he will come back stronger than ever but right now I don't see him playing instead of Aftab. Aftab is one of the best batsman we got who is a little confused right now and need to work on his temperament and batting and it will be really devastating if he gets dropped for the second test. It will shutter his confidence and we can't do that to him.
Old April 14, 2006, 10:38 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: khaleda zia
Default my team for 2nd test

JO
S. Nafees
Bashar
Rajin
Ash
alok
pilot
rafique
masri
rajib
enamul
or if it is a bouncy pitch, replace enamul with rasel and make him no.10 batsman