facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 2, 2009, 09:44 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ashraful and Shane Warne
Default International matches played in Bangladesh should be staged across the country and not only in Dhaka and Chittagong.

I strongly believe that international matches played in Bangladesh should be equally and alternately staged in all the ICC-approved venues and not only in Dhaka and Chittagong. Most of our cricket-loving fans are poor and therefore cannot afford to witness an international match by travelling to either Dhaka or Chittagong.

Beside the venues in Dhaka and Chittagong, there are also three other ICC-approved venues across the country. One in Khulna, one in Bogra and the other one in Fatullah, near Dhaka. But virtually no international matches takes place in those three venues.

I presume the main reason for international matches not being played there is foreign teams expresses immense unwillingness to play at those locations because it profoundly lacks international-standard amenities. e.g. from airport to train station, restaurants to hotels and from shopping centres to other international-standard recreational facilities, such as state-of-the-art gymnasiums and swimming pools.

Nevertheless, there is only one other location or say city amongst Dhaka and Chittagong that has all the international-standard amenities a foreign team can ask for but only does not have an ICC-approved or international-standard stadium. Indeed, that location is of course Sylhet city.

However, although the other three ICC-approved venues cannot facilitate all the required international-standard amenities a foreign team wants overnight, yet Sylhet city can be in a position to nominate itself to the ICC to be considered as an international venue for playing cricket.

All is required by the BCB is just to consider upgrading Sylhet's present stadium into an international-standard one - that's it. Then people from north-east Bangladesh will also have a chance to watch a live cricket match now and then without having to go through all the inconveniences of going to Dhaka or Chittagong.

Finally, in order for that dream to be fulfilled, we cricket-loving fans from across the country need to raise this issue by sending in a petition to the Bangladesh Cricket Board.

Old March 2, 2009, 10:12 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

definetely. right on bro. we need to play the matches in all the different venues. we've had threads like this before but to no avail. hope bcb recognizes us and this issue.
Old March 2, 2009, 10:14 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

totally! i second that dynamite bhai. i ahve been screaming and moaning about the sylhet stadium to turn into an icc approved international venue for a few years now!
wake up BCB!
Old March 3, 2009, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bujhee kom
wake up BCB!
Does BCB ever sleep?!!!
Old March 3, 2009, 12:19 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpurush
Does BCB ever sleep?!!!
I think you mean, Is BCB ever awake? They're always asleep.
Old March 3, 2009, 12:55 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Blaming BCB for every issue is very lame!

None of the team besides Zimbabwe want to travel to Bogura or Khulna venues other than CTG and Dhakas. Khulna and Bogura don't have airports and it takes a long time to reach these place by bus. And you know how the roads/traffics are in Bangladesh.
Old March 3, 2009, 01:05 AM
BC Editorial Team

This would be the same Sylhet where the British High Commissioner was attacked by terrorists right?

- As myself
Old March 3, 2009, 04:49 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Sylheti Kapali

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
This would be the same Sylhet where the British High Commissioner was attacked by terrorists right?

- As myself
PATHETIC, a really really pathetic response.
Old March 3, 2009, 05:45 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Ganguly,Vettori,

I'm lost for words. In a thread where a very valid point is being raised, we squabble like petty uncivilized animals over city loalty. I ask you people, are you a bangladeshi or a Dhakaia or sylheti or chatgaia? Is the lack of unity not the reason behind our failure to rise?

Last night I visited pakpassion and thought that BC is a elit place for civilize people compared to that forum full of arrogant illiterates. Now I see that Pakis are united in there arrogance and we fight amongst ourselves over city glory. This is pathetic and sad.
Old March 3, 2009, 06:01 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Siraji, you response is well over the top. Nothing dergoatroy is mentioned in the thread against any cities or residents of any cities of Bangladesh. You are instigating something which is not there in first place. Please don't make a mountain out of a molehill.

And please be civil in your responses.
Old March 3, 2009, 06:18 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Sylheti Kapali

Maybe nothing derogatory has been mentioned against any city, but surely you cannot fail to aknwoledge the MALICE in the tone of the statement.

It seems really petty to react in this way to a perfectly legitimate query.

ESPECIALLY from some one who is a Moderator and Editor.
Old March 3, 2009, 08:19 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
Siraji, you response is well over the top. Nothing dergoatroy is mentioned in the thread against any cities or residents of any cities of Bangladesh. You are instigating something which is not there in first place. Please don't make a mountain out of a molehill.

And please be civil in your responses.
My responses may have been a bit over the top in hind sight. With all the negative things happening all around us, I'm not in my right mindset. If I hurt someone, my apologies, It was not my intention. I simply wanted to send a messege for unity in these dark times. Guess I got carried away.
Old March 3, 2009, 09:27 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

I am all for sylhet Intl stadium. Also autonomy to the board. Have their own league, own team, own A team, own u-19 team, own umpires, own practice facilities, own physios, own coaches. i want all the boards to have their freedom and own budget and own program. That is the only way we move forward.
Old March 3, 2009, 09:37 AM
Banned

Cox’sbazar has all the attributes to be a place for international cricket plus it will promote international tourism in there. Why it has been overlooked? May be we need a few ministers of locality from ruling party to execute any plan.
Old March 3, 2009, 12:10 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace
Cox’sbazar has all the attributes to be a place for international cricket plus it will promote international tourism in there. Why it has been overlooked? May be we need a few ministers of locality from ruling party to execute any plan.
Not a bad idea. But security has to be upgraded to a level way higher than what it is now. And accomodation too. The hotels there are good for tourists, but not really Sheraton standard. Not to mention the communication problem. Although if the visitor come in a ship, they can land in the shore..

Still, one would think Bogra would get some more matches. It has such a fine stadium. Perhaps because Bogra is Khaleda's court, the current govt. will ignore it. Politicians...
Old March 3, 2009, 12:17 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

All this time, I didn't step into this thread with the fear of being hurt with the dynamite blasting.

Now that I walked into this thread, I'm scared of being caught in crossfire.

Ekhon koi jai?
Old March 3, 2009, 12:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siraji
Not a bad idea. But security has to be upgraded to a level way higher than what it is now. And accomodation too. The hotels there are good for tourists, but not really Sheraton standard. Not to mention the communication problem. Although if the visitor come in a ship, they can land in the shore..

Still, one would think Bogra would get some more matches. It has such a fine stadium. Perhaps because Bogra is Khaleda's court, the current govt. will ignore it. Politicians...
Cox’sbazar has much better accommodations than the rest of the country combined together. The level of standards are regulated by the number of stars assigned to hotels. Little bit of search will reveal how many five and four star hotels are in Cox’sbazar.
And, Cox’sbazar has its own airport running regular flights from Dhaka.
Security is no worse than anywhere in Bangladesh.
Old March 3, 2009, 12:41 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: sreesanth
Default a knee jerk response to Razab

Razab Qassem Chowdhury is a Nowakhaillya , hence his response is justified!

Razab bhai, What was the point of diverting the subject?
Old March 3, 2009, 12:43 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
All this time, I didn't step into this thread with the fear of being hurt with the dynamite blasting.

Now that I walked into this thread, I'm scared of being caught in crossfire.

Ekhon koi jai?
RAB headquarter. Heard they have stopped crossfiring
Old March 3, 2009, 12:46 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mon
Razab bhai, What was the point of diverting the subject?
Razab was refferring to the security issue and now you guys making it a race issue.

And you are also being a racist here by stating that Noakhailla's are like that...
Old March 3, 2009, 12:49 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace
Cox’sbazar has much better accommodations than the rest of the country combined together. The level of standards are regulated by the number of stars assigned to hotels. Little bit of search will reveal how many five and four star hotels are in Cox’sbazar.
And, Cox’sbazar has its own airport running regular flights from Dhaka.
Security is no worse than anywhere in Bangladesh.
Well if you did your research than you must be right. But recently I've been there and the city didn't look like the tourism centre of a country, rather a small city with a lot of shopping complexes. And you're spot on about the security. Security there is as good as security in, say, comilla. But in these days, cricketers need a lot more security.
Anyway, It'd be awsome to host some mathces near the shoreline. If everything is fine, than Cox'sbazar could be a great venue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mon
Really? I'm a Nowakhaillya too. Does that supposed to imply anything ? Perhaps we should see a post and not the person behind it to make a judgemental call.

Last edited by Ashfaq; March 3, 2009 at 12:58 PM..
Old March 3, 2009, 12:55 PM
Cricket Guru

I think Swandeep will make an excellent place for an international cricket venue. Here's why:

1. It's in an island. Most people in the civilized world get aroused by the term 'island'. They immediately start picturing hawaii (ie. shundoris in choto kapor)

2. This is the hotspot for staging the smuggling malamaal. So, foreign products is a huge attraction. Heck, you may even find foreign dushtu cheleder magazine in there.

3. It's a great place to integrate with nature. For example, in developed parts of Bangladesh, you'll have to route your bodily waste via the government installed sewage system. In Swandeep, you can directly pass it down to the zillion pukurs.

4. It's away from Noakhali...so the possibility of the players' underwear being stolen is quite minimal.

If there 4 reasons are not enough, then probably #5 will convince you.

5. It's the desher bari of this hotobhaga Kabir
Old March 3, 2009, 12:56 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by muradnyc
RAB headquarter. Heard they have stopped crossfiring
Are you affiliated with Sahara khatun? If yes, sorry...your info is not reliable.

Over.
Old March 3, 2009, 12:59 PM
Cricket Legend

Vai Kabir, I dearly hope you're joking. If so, good joke.

If not, are you out of your freaking mind?
Old March 4, 2009, 01:56 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mashrafe

More money needs to be spend in order to get the fringe cities to fitting standards. Forget amenities, the stadiums needs much work. We are constantly having problems with the only venue that is continually in use...to add to that mess...another sloppy job will not be acceptable.
I think if the contract is handed to private companies with the lowest bid and quality is maintained, and the officials dont steal from the contract money, we should be able to get reasonable work done.

It might take another 3-4 years, but the standard can be met. Its not impossible, in fact it should have happened a long time ago.