facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 1, 2012, 06:34 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don
Default Our batting

Despite our progress, our batting still is a huge issue. Test batting is obviously the biggest problem. Our batsmen would be wise to follow the valuable advice Sadiq Mohammad got from older brother Mushtaq 'Stay on the wicket and runs will come'. I hope all BD cricketers read the CI piece.

Old September 1, 2012, 07:15 AM

Do we play test? Having difficulties to recall when the last time we have played test cricket!

ICC has planned perfectly to outclass Bangladesh from test cricket IMHO and BCB making sure ICC stays in it's planned path!!

Well, what can you expect from the likes of Lotus-Tutul gang??
Old September 1, 2012, 09:42 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

yes BD has played half as many test matches as some other test nations in the last year, actually a third is more accurate compared to some. how is a team that's already behind the pack supposed to compete when they get less matches? they need at least the same amount if not more so they can bring themselves up to the level. see the thing with international sports teams and players is that they're constantly getting better, so an players or teams who play less matches/games get left behind.
Old September 1, 2012, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

I saw the thread title "Our batting" and immediately, the one word response that came to mind was "SUCKS".
Old September 1, 2012, 09:52 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All Bangladeshi players

This is very true.
When WI toured Bangladesh i compared our batting with WI.I forgot the name of the WI top order ,none of them were special their theory was very simple like this one.Stay in the crease leave some delevaries.But our top order cant do it. I like NAZIMUDDIN for this reason.He can leave deliveries. Nazimuddin is a very limited caliber batsman.If he can why not others?
Old September 1, 2012, 10:02 AM
Banned

sometimes we play wrong batsmen in wrong formats.

But at the same time, we dont play enough test to have a test squad.
Old September 1, 2012, 10:04 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Batting well in any format means sighting and playing each ball according to its merit according to match situation.

We have a couple of guys who bat well every now and then, but WE never bat well as a cohesive batting unit. Usually only one or two out of our top batters do well when others fail. Then the successful guys fail in subsequent matches to give the ones who have failed before a taste of success. That's the norm. Only Shakib and Tamim bat consistently well and generally don't fail over more than 3 innings in a row. Maybe Nasir, Riyad and Mushfique can become as consistent over time. That would be nice.

First of all, we always tend to have weak links in the proverbial chain. Selecting players of based on bias, misguided preconceptions, cricketing ignorance and intellectually dishonest, decontextualized and purely statistical geekfesting is something we have excelled at without fail. Naturally we've never fielded eleven players with the ability to sustain success at the highest level. We have always insisted on selecting at least 2 to 3 guys who clearly don't belong and after the rare flukish success here and there, they inevitably cost us matches with their shocking inadequacy some folks simply don't see.

Finally we have all those bad habits we pick up playing sub-par domestic cricket on dead pitches facing shamefully ordinary trundlers and pie-chuckers. Batting without footwork, not rotating the strike and premeditating everything, meaning defensive blocks as well as offensive strokes, may reward some in the NCL and DPL, but they won't sustain success at the highest level. Add mental fragility and the ABSOLUTE refusal to work hard outside "camp"to the mix, meaning on your own without gutani, and there you have it: the typical state our team batting.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; September 1, 2012 at 01:53 PM..
Old September 1, 2012, 10:29 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel
Batting well in any format means sighting and playing each ball according to its merit according to match situation.

We have a couple of guys who bat well every now and then, but WE never bat well as a cohesive batting unit. Usually only one or two out of our top batters do well when others fail. Then the successful guys fail in subsequent matches to give the ones who have failed before a taste of success. That's the norm. Only Shakib and Tamim bat consistently well and generally don't fail over more than 3 innings in a row. Maybe Nasir, Riyad and Mushfique can become as consistent over time. That would be nice.

First of all, we always tend to have weak links in the proverbial chain. Selecting players of based on bias, misguided preconceptions, cricketing ignorance and intellectually dishonest, decontextualized and purely statistical geekfesting is something we have excelled at without fail. Naturally we've never fielded eleven players with the ability to sustain success at the highest level. We have always insisted on selecting at least 2 to 3 guys who clearly don't belong and after the rare flukish success here and there, they inevitably cost us matches with their shocking inadequacy some folks simply don't see.

Finally we have all those bad habits we pick up playing sub-par domestic cricket on dead pitches facing shamefully ordinary trundlers and pie-chuckers. Batting without footwork, not rotating the strike and premeditating everything, meaning defensive blocks as well as offensive strokes, may reward some in the NCL and DPL, but they won't sustain success at the highest level. Add metal fragility and the ABSOLUTE refusal to work hard outside "camp", meaning on your own without gutani, to the mix and there you have it: the typical state our team batting.
Well said. I think our batting will improve. Before we had to rely on 1 or 2 guys to perform but now we have the likes of Tamim and Shakib who have multiple centuries at the Test level and then Mushy who is getting half centuries regularly and it's just a matter of time before he starts hitting centuries more regularly. Riyad has slacked off a bit after a very strong start but I believe it's just a matter of time before he starts getting bigger scores. Nasir hasn't proved himself yet for the longest format but I believe he'll start performing once he gets more matches as he's a class act.

Again it comes down to our problems with our #2 and 3 spots. Once we resolve that issue, I feel we'll start having a lineup that will start clicking more often.
Old September 1, 2012, 11:47 AM
Cricket Legend

^^ That's the point. Our main problem is #2 and #3. If we can manage 2 top order batsman totally our batting will be changed. Even if we can manage a partner of Tamim, Full team will be changed. Just waiting for a partner for Tamim in test cricket.
Old September 1, 2012, 01:25 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

ZIM has their Nov-Dec block opened up...PAK has postponed their tour to next year. BCB needs to invite ZC for a tour with at least 2 Tests. We simply don't play enough. It would be good to play a couple Tests with them before the WI series.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old September 1, 2012, 01:42 PM
Cricket Guru

We also don't play enough FC matches. Hopefully that changes now with Pybus on board and the positive change that the FC players are under contract. 20 and 50 over games are also important but not at the expense of FC cricket. Also the pitches need to be better prepared and assist both the batsmen and the bowlers. If these changes are made, then we'll see some changes. Also more longer version cricket needs to be played at the school level which would help with the mindset of our batsmen.
Old September 1, 2012, 02:19 PM
Club Cricketer

The criticism against the ICC for not granting us enough test matches is correct, but we should not forget that we also changed the scheduled test matches against NZ to ODI in 2001.
Old September 1, 2012, 04:58 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
ZIM has their Nov-Dec block opened up...PAK has postponed their tour to next year. BCB needs to invite ZC for a tour with at least 2 Tests. We simply don't play enough. It would be good to play a couple Tests with them before the WI series.
please do this BCB! we need as many test matches as we can get and actually playing zim in tests is very good for our players because the standard won't quite be as high as playing the other test nations but it's still decent quality and certainly better quality than domestics. even if they don't play test matches i think BD and zim would both benefit by organising 4-day matches together.
Old September 1, 2012, 07:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Nazimuddin did perform during the Ban-Pak test series so we need ot leave him as the opening partner for Tamim for now. #3 should be Anamul.
Old September 1, 2012, 08:55 PM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkandi4
The criticism against the ICC for not granting us enough test matches is correct, but we should not forget that we also changed the scheduled test matches against NZ to ODI in 2001 2010.
you are right..even we changed the 4 day match in ireland to t20 stating preparation for world t20
Old September 1, 2012, 09:22 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliPagol
Nazimuddin did perform during the Ban-Pak test series so we need ot leave him as the opening partner for Tamim for now. #3 should be Anamul.
That was just 1 innings. After watching him in the Asia Cup, I don't see him doing well at this level. Anyways, he wasn't even in the recent A team tour. So it seems he's off the radar. I would rather have Ash/Junaid there until we find some better top order players.
Old September 1, 2012, 09:25 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
you are right..even we changed the 4 day match in ireland to t20 stating preparation for world t20
Vai, 4 day match against the associates are really risky.
Old September 1, 2012, 09:30 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
They couldn't schedule that match because Ireland couldn't cover the costs.
Old September 1, 2012, 09:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliPagol
Agreed.
Nazimuddin did well in last 2 tests so he should get another 3/4 tests. He is poor in abroad, stillI hope he will continue the performance.
#3 contenders are Junaid and animal. Anamul is better in long format of the 3. So it will be best time for a test debut.
Old September 1, 2012, 09:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger444
That was just 1 innings. After watching him in the Asia Cup, I don't see him doing well at this level. Anyways, he wasn't even in the recent A team tour. So it seems he's off the radar. I would rather have Ash/Junaid there until we find some better top order players.
Nazimuddin was in the rader. He was not picked in the A team as he was injured.
Old September 1, 2012, 09:43 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.H.Rubel
Nazimuddin was in the rader. He was not picked in the A team as he was injured.
Oh ok didn't know that. Thanks bhai. Still I don't want him in there for Tests. Ash and Junaid Are the better options. I know they aren't the ideal options, but they're better than Nazimuddin.
Old September 1, 2012, 10:28 PM
Cricket Legend

Trouble with our batting is we lack a big innings player. Not necessarily an aggressive batsmen, but someone who can hold his end and play long innings. Like Younis Khan for Pakistan, or Sangakkara for Sri Lanka. Both Rajin and Rokibul Hasan showed early promise but never took off. Mushfiq is often for this role but he is too inconsistent.

You need 1 player in the top 4 who can drop the anchor. Unfortunately we dont have any. A lot of our headaches, troubles will be solved if we can find such a player. Anamul showed promise in Under 19. Lets see if he can do this for us.
Old September 1, 2012, 10:36 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeesh
Trouble with our batting is we lack a big innings player. Not necessarily an aggressive batsmen, but someone who can hold his end and play long innings. Like Younis Khan for Pakistan, or Sangakkara for Sri Lanka. Both Rajin and Rokibul Hasan showed early promise but never took off. Mushfiq is often for this role but he is too inconsistent.

You need 1 player in the top 4 who can drop the anchor. Unfortunately we dont have any. A lot of our headaches, troubles will be solved if we can find such a player. Anamul showed promise in Under 19. Lets see if he can do this for us.
The problem with Mushy is that he has to worry about keeping and batting. Now he has captaincy to worry about. His potential as a batsman in the Test level won't be fulfilled if he continues to be a keeper in Tests. I feel it's better he takes the gloves off for Tests and bring Dhiman in who is the much better gloveman. Dhiman's done pretty well with the bat in FC's the past year. So we could give him a try. England, SA, and SL have used a Test match wicketkeeper and it's worked well.
Old September 1, 2012, 11:03 PM
Cricket Savant

is ok. i would not say it's good, but i would not say it's bad either. i'd say it's ok. /analyzethat

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old September 2, 2012, 01:38 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim, Shakib

Our batting is definitely a worry. As a matter of fact, i went to the stadium to watch the recent Afghanistan-Australia match. Those of who you watched it knows what i am talking about. These Afghanis have 'jaan' in their hands and minds. They hit more and bigger sixes than Australia and the best part is, they stand and deliver. We can never match the strength they have. Reaching 200+ against Australia in UAE pitches is a job well done.

..All i mean to say is i wont be surprised at all if Afghanistan beats us in the tournament.

Ok, now dont bash me up..