facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old November 8, 2006, 11:01 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza
Default British Muslim Officer axed from duty at No. 10

Here we go again..

LONDON (Reuters) - A Muslim firearms officer is taking legal action against the police after he was removed from a squad that guards senior officials, including Prime Minister Tony Blair, the Independent newspaper said on Tuesday.

A police spokeswoman confirmed that the Metropolitan Police had been notified of an employment tribunal claim by a policeman "alleging discrimination on the grounds of race and religious belief". She declined to comment further.

The Independent said Amjad Farooq, 39, was told in 2003 he was a threat to national security because two of his five children -- then aged 9 and 11 -- had gone to a mosque associated with a suspected extremist group.

It said he was also told by colleagues that his presence on the protection squad might concern U.S. security officials if he was posted outside the U.S. embassy in London.

Farooq, who denied any extremist links or inappropriate behaviour, was transferred to a constabulary in west London.

His lawyer, Lawrence Davies, told the newspaper: "Muslims are labelled guilty by association. Doubt is insufficient to save them."

Reuters | Independent | Telegraph

Old November 8, 2006, 11:22 AM
Cricket Legend

I feel disgusted with kind of news now. Had enough of it. Ei deshe ar thaka jabena. Obosso amar thakar plan o nei.

ওইখানে আমিও আছি /যেইখানে সূর্য উদয়/প্রিয়দেশ পাল্টে দেবো/তুমি আর আমি বোধহয়/কমরেড, তৈরি থেকো/গায়ে মাখো আলতা বরণ/আমি তুমি আমি তুমি/এভাবেই লক্ষ চরণ
Old November 8, 2006, 11:26 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

I'm not surprised. They're doing this every so often. They'e done a lot of similar things in the US. Is there any way to stop this nonsense? I guess not. Not until the whole ideology set by the US media (which i'm sure is dear to a lot of us) that all Muslims are terrorists has changed. It took 5 years to come to this point. It'll take 20 years to get rid of it. As I mentioned in another discussion:

Quote:
Ideology, with time, becomes reality.
That's what happening in this. But the whole thing about using the officer's kids (aged 9 and 11) as threats to the society should contradict human rights acts, and acts related to children's safety, and what not. I'm sure they'll make that a point.
Old November 8, 2006, 11:46 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

This kind of unfair treatment of Muslim employers has become trend since the veil row and it's making things worse Muslims who do want to make a difference and fight extremism. They expect Muslims to rot at the bottom of the society and at the same time extremism to go away - what kind of hypocrisy is that? Yesterday it's France or Italy, today it's USA and UK, tomorrow it's Australia or elsewhere, the day after you don't even wanna know.
Old November 8, 2006, 11:47 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

I hope he fights tooth and nails to get back his job and make this a media circus. This will be eye opening for many.
Old November 9, 2006, 12:56 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
I hope he fights tooth and nails to get back his job and make this a media circus. This will be eye opening for many.
Eyes for many are already open. And opening it more won't help. But honestly, if you wanna know about the way some British Pakistanis are humiliated, you would know what crap the british authority isupto. US btw isn't the master in all that.
Old November 11, 2006, 07:21 AM
Banned

Too much self pity.

If one works hard enough and keeps ones nose clean, then one has every chance of success. Conspiracy theories and victimhood are not the way forward.

I've faced racism and exclusion throughout my life from one or another segment of British society but I've made it. I've never made it an excuse for failure though.

My job requires a pretty high level security clearence and I know other Brit Sylhetis/Muslims who have made it too. Police, TA, IAT etc. Never had any problems or know anyone who has. It is largely media hype.

Although, I suppose that none of my relatives have ever attended a dodgy mosque (and we live far from East London Shrine).
Old November 12, 2006, 11:01 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শা

I say good for him, IF any of those folks died on his watch they'd have made life hell for him. Good luck to him in winning the lawsuit and getting a comfy desk job with loads of money. That's probably not what he wants but unfortunately for him and others in his situation, life's not always fair.
Old November 13, 2006, 12:53 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

He should get a job at No. 11 and stand next to the door of PM's house/office.
That should piss few people off.
He can call on his whole family/relatives in England and they can all attend the Friday Jumma Prayer in front of Door 11.

How bout that for a brilliant idea??
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old November 13, 2006, 06:22 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শা

On a perfect world - great idea.

What will really happen is some idiot might attack the PM's residence while he is on duty and they might associate him with the attack and will drag him thru hell (if he is alive) and block the entry of other muslims into spcial forces citing his involvement with the terrorists. Better he stays away from that position. It'll be a while (a longgggggggg while) before this whole thing about islamic fundamentalism will cool down. Until then, innocent muslims are simply screwed.
Old November 14, 2006, 07:32 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

But bro, the whole islamic fundamentalism is not going to cool down anytime soon...
its just the beginning of the beginning........

an ocean load of water is still to flow under the bridge...
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]