facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old February 18, 2012, 01:32 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Brian Lara
Default Off with their heads - Deshi Killers

21 Bangladeshis on death row abroad
Another 31 facing murder trials in 6 Middle Eastern, Southeast Asian countries

CASES BY COUNTRY:

UAE
In the United Arab Emirates, five are convicted in three cases and 25 are undergoing trial.

The government's initial efforts for arranging compromises for two convicts -- Harunur Rashid and Shahabuddin of Chittagong -- have failed.

The Bangladesh mission in Dubai has sought a month's time from a Dubai court to arrange pardons.

Saudi Arabia

There are five convicts and three accused in this Middle East country.

A Pakistani victim's family has agreed to show mercy to Akhtar Hossain of Chittagong in exchange for 4 lakh Riyal (Tk 88 lakh). The Saudi government has agreed to pay the money for Akhtar as he is poor, BMET officials said.

KUWAIT
The seven convicts in three cases are Alim of Jamalpur, Tabibur Biswas of Magura, Makbul of Brahmanbaria, Rinu Mia of Brahmanbaria, Iqbal Hossain and Ridoy of Munshiganj, and Ramzan of Comilla.

A process is on for arranging pardons for them.

BAHRAIN
A court has rejected the appeal of convict Russel, son of Mizanur Rahman of Uttara in the capital. The government is trying to arrange mercy for him.

Singapore
Though Kamrul Hasan of Tangail has been convicted of killing an Indonesian woman, he has denied seeking mercy, claiming that he is innocent. He has requested a reopening of the trial in the Supreme Court.

MALAYSIA
A court has convicted Shamim Reza of Pabna and Masud Rana (address could not be known). They have appealed against their convictions.

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesig...php?nid=222897

Plenty of Bangladeshis in the US/Canada/UK - other than the idiots turning to terrorism in the UK, there is very little in terms of crime. So why is it so different in the ME?

I refuse to believe in the educated/dubaiwallas stereotype. I've seen Bangladeshis in Brooklyn, and many of them are no better than 'dubaiwallas'

Old February 18, 2012, 01:43 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6_Turbo
Plenty of Bangladeshis in the US/Canada/UK - other than the idiots turning to terrorism in the UK, there is very little in terms of crime. So why is it so different in the ME?

I refuse to believe in the educated/dubaiwallas stereotype. I've seen Bangladeshis in Brooklyn, and many of them are no better than 'dubaiwallas'
You're assuming that all of these Bangladeshis are actually guilty. I'm not anywhere near that confident in the "justice" of the courts in most Middle Eastern nations, particularly where poor brown non-citizens are concerned.
Old February 18, 2012, 01:48 AM
Banned

That's where I was heading next....leading to, can we ask our hacker friends to help out, after all these are poor Bangladeshis getting bent over and screwed(well bent over and having their heads chopped off) by 'courts' where they barely speak the language or have the requisite legal assistance.

Where is the outrage for them?

Obviously 1000 mostly innocents is not on the same scale as a couple of dozen people - but a life is a life right?
Old February 18, 2012, 03:07 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

Firstly it is the sheer number of Bangladeshis in the ME: How many Bangladeshis are there in the US? The UAE, a country of 6-7 million people has 700,000+ that is more than 10% of the population. Saudi Arabia has anything from a million to 2.

The educated/uneducated stereotype is true but to some extent only. The criminals who are involved in human trafficking or murders are often not the most uneducated ones nor are they the poorest ones. When a Bangladeshi man spends tens of thousands of dirhams and brings in girls promising them jobs, and then locks them up for other stuff , he is not doing it because he is dirt poor..

And of course, there is always the bias aspect, as Shaad Bhai mentioned, where even if completely innocent people are not punished, there is a mindset where a crime by the Brown man sets the judge seething in anger and throwing harsh sentences while a crime committed by another race sees the judge mellow down and give a slap on the wrist.

Is it a Middle eastern thing? Who knows, after all Malaysia was the first country to ban Bangladeshis for being over represented in crimes and also for supposedly wooing local women, which is hardly a crime in itself

As for the West, Bangladeshis in the UK are definitely over represented in crime stats vs our brethren in NA. My gut feeling is that the reason behind the crime involvement being higher in the ME is similar to the reason behind crime being higher in UK vs USA when it comes to those committed by Bangladeshis.
Old February 18, 2012, 03:33 AM
Banned

:thumbsup:

Bangladeshis in the
US - ~200,000
UK - ~650,000
Can - ~30,000
Aus - ~25,000
Old February 18, 2012, 06:16 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:

UAE has a BD Population of 800,000-1,000,000 and above 80% are low educated/low wage jobs. Then there are about 200,000 illegal guys. And it's not any stereo typing, it's real. You will not find a single blue collar workers amongst those convicted.

As far as justice system is concerned, if you make UAE amongst those stereo types of ME justice system, you will go severely wrong. Starting with law enforcement to justice system all are very tolerant, logical and just here. 1000 times better than our own in BD. If the police won't be tolerant, a few hundred thousand would be in the jails. You can't even imagine what these BD villagers do here. They are very nice with other nationals, but they keep fighting amongst themselves. You will often see them even fighting on the streets.

My local partner is an Emirate Arab, and he is going through a divorce case filed by his wife ... I know what he is going through. She isn't just getting the divorce rights, also the children and majority of his properties.. Yes most of her allegations are right.

There are many international law firms working here and they definitely have no complains about the legal system in UAE. Yes, there will be isolated cases of manipulation and victimization by influential locals, but where it's not there?? Even OJ escaped murdering his wife... Because it's about presenting evidences and sometimes the innocents fail to present evidence and witnesses. That's a short coming of even entire western legal system as well.

Can't speak speak for the other ME countries... Since I'm not so clear about the inside sit... CNN/BBC/Western Stereo Typing isn't the real picture for sure.

Quote:
That's where I was heading next....leading to, can we ask our hacker friends to help out, after all these are poor Bangladeshis getting bent over and screwed(well bent over and having their heads chopped off) by 'courts' where they barely speak the language or have the requisite legal assistance.

Where is the outrage for them?

Obviously 1000 mostly innocents is not on the same scale as a couple of dozen people - but a life is a life right?

Anyway, these are legal cases you are talking about, and BSF killings aren't the verdicts of the Indian legal system... So comparing these two events with sheer number and mocking with protests against the BSF brutality is very distasteful. I know you feel uneasy when someone protests against India, that you displayed in that thread also, by posting that Jihad video and then opening another thread to dilute that issue?? That's criminal on your part to say the least.

I think such collaboration in support of brutal killing by external forces and violating sovereignty of my nation has already been defined by a word in our history .. "Razakar" this is the result of very well known quote "Justice delayed Justice denied" we really need to get on with the prosecution of the Collaborators of 71 and that will set the course for all subsequent collaboration.
Old February 18, 2012, 07:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
Starting with law enforcement to justice system all are very tolerant, logical and just here. Yes, there will be isolated cases of manipulation and victimization by influential locals, but where it's not there?? Even OJ escaped murdering his wife...

Come on now, are you serious in claiming its all very tolerant and just? We can pretend it is but its not. Anyone who has fallen foul of the wrong person knows how bad it can get. Yes, the UAE is probably the least in terms of injustice if we take the entire Middle East into account, but thats not saying much

And the OJ case , seriously, yes it was a huge travesty of justice, but everytime i hear about it, its some of us trying to use it as a "proof" that just because justice did not happen in the OJ case there in the US, its ok to have injustice in other places as well.

Yes, OJ got away, just like 3 men got away for 3 years with beating a pregnant woman unconscious because she sat in their "seat" in an IKEA Cafeteria and how dare a foreigner sit in their seat....

If we start justifying every case of injustice with the OJ case then we will live in a chaotic world.
Old February 18, 2012, 07:18 AM

Alert - bring on your logical discussion, POV but without direct/indirect name calling or insult. I see Potential danger of mud trowing here, please dont.
Old February 18, 2012, 09:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN

I know you feel uneasy when someone protests against India, that you displayed in that thread also, by posting that Jihad video and then opening another thread to dilute that issue?? That's criminal on your part to say the least.
Don't confuse my lack of support of certain actions as some sort of love bond with India, but yes if I had to choose, I'd choose India over Pakistan everyday of the week, and twice on friday. I simply found the methodology of the protest to be hilarious, and continue to do so - as is my right. In fact I posted in that very thread, if India refuse to heed our diplomatic words, then maybe some tit for tat is called for(implying our own Border Guard needs to do some target practicing) and that the flippant remarks by Syed Ashraf were disgraceful to say the least, specially with an issue so grave...finally that a government that fails to protect its citizens is a failure regardless of whatever else it might say it has accomplished, or did you skip that bit, in your rush to judge me?

I am very proud to be Bangladeshi, and proud of Bangladesh - and that pride is why, I continue to reside in this country, despite my opportunities overseas being exponentially better.

I simply don't see India as inherently evil...as many on here do. There are threads titled...'talks fail, Bangladesh retains sovereignty for now', I'd expect sentiments like that from a two bit buffoon, not from people who have the mental faculty to use the internet and log in to a forum.

Lastly I diluted nothing from that issue by posting this thread. The article I linked wasn't from a month ago, I didn't have to google it, it was from the days paper - and my OP made no reference to anything remotely to do with India. - posts following on from my OP in this thread actually lead it into a whole new direction. A breakdown of the Bangladeshi diaspora - where they are/what their numbers are/what they do, and our perceptions of the judiciary in those countries and how they mete out justice to foreigners - specifically foreigners they label as 'miskeen'?

Not to mention local channels and papers have in the past couple of months done multiple stories on migrant workers being executed, and in some cases sentences being commuted due to diplomatic or financial deals.
Old February 18, 2012, 10:58 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banglatiger84
Come on now, are you serious in claiming its all very tolerant and just? We can pretend it is but its not. Anyone who has fallen foul of the wrong person knows how bad it can get. Yes, the UAE is probably the least in terms of injustice if we take the entire Middle East into account, but thats not saying much

And the OJ case , seriously, yes it was a huge travesty of justice, but everytime i hear about it, its some of us trying to use it as a "proof" that just because justice did not happen in the OJ case there in the US, its ok to have injustice in other places as well.

Yes, OJ got away, just like 3 men got away for 3 years with beating a pregnant woman unconscious because she sat in their "seat" in an IKEA Cafeteria and how dare a foreigner sit in their seat....

If we start justifying every case of injustice with the OJ case then we will live in a chaotic world.
Look, first of all, do you think that the poor and non influential get a justice in Bangladesh?? Since I know about both, I can tell, that UAE is far far betterr than Bangladesh in serving justice. Do you know any case in UAE fallen foul in recent times?? We get such examples everyday in BD, yet we feel comfortable living thee, so I feel much more comfortable living here from that perspective.

Ok, I mentioned OJ, since it is known to all. There are many cases like this in the western justice system. Irrespective of any example, if you know how the system works, you will know it's weaknesses. If an innocent can't prove he is innocent by arranging evidences or can't present evidences to prove the other party has committed the act, he may not be served a justice... That's not any secret.

So, there are such loop holes in every system including UAE .. But when it goes for capital punishment, be sure there is enough evidence for that that's why court ihas said that. I'm very much aware of a number of cases that BD guys were involved and I'm very confident about the UAE justice system. As I said, I can't vouch for other ME countries.
Old February 18, 2012, 11:13 AM
Cricket Legend

Some material that might be tangentially relevant in this case is the abuse of South Asian maidservants in these Middle Eastern nations, as illustrated in the case of Sri Lankans in the Human Rights Watch report Exported and Exposed. Note particularly, Section V. Protection Failures and Obstacles to Effective Redress, which gives illustrative examples of failures in these nations' legal and judicial systems that lead to abused victims being returned to their tormentors.

There are also multiple news accounts of such abuse victims being in turn "accused" of embezzlement or theft by their tormentors and deported, thus letting their abusive employers get off scot-free, with no real investigation by the legal/judicial systems.

BANFAN, no one is denying that justice frequently goes awry or favours the influential in Bangladesh or the West too, but that shouldn't prevent us from highlighting or pointing out these episodes (particularly when they go against our citizens) in the Middle East too.

That said, I too think that UAE has a better legal/judicial system than several of its neighbours -- they largely have to, because they are trying invite in foreign (often Western) money as they attempt to set themselves up as a financial hub/resort destination.
Old February 18, 2012, 11:38 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaad
Some material that might be tangentially relevant in this case is the abuse of South Asian maidservants in these Middle Eastern nations, as illustrated in the case of Sri Lankans in the Human Rights Watch report Exported and Exposed. Note particularly, Section V. Protection Failures and Obstacles to Effective Redress, which gives illustrative examples of failures in these nations' legal and judicial systems that lead to abused victims being returned to their tormentors.

There are also multiple news accounts of such abuse victims being in turn "accused" of embezzlement or theft by their tormentors and deported, thus letting their abusive employers get off scot-free, with no real investigation by the legal/judicial systems.

BANFAN, no one is denying that justice frequently goes awry or favours the influential in Bangladesh or the West too, but that shouldn't prevent us from highlighting or pointing out these episodes (particularly when they go against our citizens) in the Middle East too.

That said, I too think that UAE has a better legal/judicial system than several of its neighbours -- they largely have to, because they are trying invite in foreign (often Western) money as they attempt to set themselves up as a financial hub/resort destination.
I agree with you completely. And that's why it's always better to not to make a stereo type blanket comment on the entire system. We can always go case to case basis and try to find out the injustice to take up the cases, specially against our people.

Ya, in fact UAE is doing it for quiet some time and that's why they have almost all nationalities living and doing business here for last at least 25 years. I talked about UAE since I know about it, and I have clearly expressed that I don't know about others to comment.
Old February 18, 2012, 11:57 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Don't confuse my lack of support of certain actions as some sort of love bond with India, but yes if I had to choose, I'd choose India over Pakistan everyday of the week, and twice on friday. I simply found the methodology of the protest to be hilarious, and continue to do so - as is my right. In fact I posted in that very thread, if India refuse to heed our diplomatic words, then maybe some tit for tat is called for(implying our own Border Guard needs to do some target practicing) and that the flippant remarks by Syed Ashraf were disgraceful to say the least, specially with an issue so grave...finally that a government that fails to protect its citizens is a failure regardless of whatever else it might say it has accomplished, or did you skip that bit, in your rush to judge me?

I am very proud to be Bangladeshi, and proud of Bangladesh - and that pride is why, I continue to reside in this country, despite my opportunities overseas being exponentially better.

I simply don't see India as inherently evil...as many on here do. There are threads titled...'talks fail, Bangladesh retains sovereignty for now', I'd expect sentiments like that from a two bit buffoon, not from people who have the mental faculty to use the internet and log in to a forum.

Lastly I diluted nothing from that issue by posting this thread. The article I linked wasn't from a month ago, I didn't have to google it, it was from the days paper - and my OP made no reference to anything remotely to do with India. - posts following on from my OP in this thread actually lead it into a whole new direction. A breakdown of the Bangladeshi diaspora - where they are/what their numbers are/what they do, and our perceptions of the judiciary in those countries and how they mete out justice to foreigners - specifically foreigners they label as 'miskeen'?

Not to mention local channels and papers have in the past couple of months done multiple stories on migrant workers being executed, and in some cases sentences being commuted due to diplomatic or financial deals.
I like India more than Pakistan, doesn't mean I will allow India to kill our people and play with our sovereignty. In fact this anti indianism has nothing to do in the protest against BSF brutality, it could be anybody. So I really don't understand why you bring that up.

I'm sure I quoted that part of the text where you said, that "you were heading that way" and then you joked with the protesters.

I have no problem whether you believe in some kind of protest or not, but once you don't believe in their kind, you should specify your kind of protest. If you don't want any protest at all, you may reamin silent. When you are repeatedly and aggressively vocal against a kind of protest and you don't want to have a protest... Then it says a different story... That doesn't match your claims. However, you may clarify some of the things so you can be better understood.