facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Old July 3, 2014, 07:24 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

World Cup 2014: Who holds the balance of power in world football?

Brazil's World Cup has been played in the style that so many hoped for once football's showpiece was awarded to the country regarded as the home of the game's free spirits.

The last three weeks have provided a consistent narrative of fast, attacking football and excitement - exactly as the game's rulers would have imagined it when they handed the tournament to Brazil.

Even the line-up for the last eight has a balance that brings pleasure to the purists, as four teams from the Americas are complimented by a quartet from Europe - all of them group winners.

The destiny of this World Cup will be decided in the iconic surroundings of the Maracana in Rio de Janeiro on Sunday week but all quarter-finalists have the opportunity to show where the balance of power lies between the two continents.

The seven World Cups held here in the Americas have failed to produce a European winner. On the flip side, Brazil are the only nation from the Americas to achieve a win on European soil - when they triumphed 5-2 in the final against hosts Sweden 56 years ago.

So for Netherlands coach Louis van Gaal, France's Didier Deschamps, Germany's Joachim Low and the Belgian Marc Wilmots there is the dual opportunity to make history for their countries and exert European domination.

For the likes of Luiz Felipe Scolari, attempting to win his second World Cup with Brazil, and Argentina's Alejandro Sabella in particular, there is the chance to send Europe home empty-handed once more.

Full Story

Old July 3, 2014, 11:22 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

I am amazed with number of goals in the stoppage time this year. This is a first. The Cup stays in Brazil this time.
Old July 6, 2014, 06:07 PM
Cricket Sage

Every Young Boy's Dream in Brazil

This is a really neat documentary on how young players in Brazil are developed by local clubs and academies, some for the sole purpose of selling players to europe. There's also a short interview with the scout who discovered Neymar.
Old July 6, 2014, 11:45 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

The underdog stories, or as cricket would call it, minnows made this WC even better. Something cricket WC should take note. We had all our fun with the unknown and fairy tail stories, yet the Semis will be played by the super power contenders. How can you play sports when try to get rid of those amazing aspect of sports? It's just not sports. If the good teams are good enough, they'll make it, or else they are just not good enough (Spain). Sure, Brazil-Spain knockout game looks great on paper, but Brazil-Chile game was better. You can't just kill those games just because you think it'd either be a) boring b) shock knockout defeat.

Keep the BCCI World Cup to 16!
Old July 7, 2014, 09:23 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilscoop
...b) shock knockout defeat.

The power of FIFA is much much more than ICC. No country controls FIFA. Thus the shock Konckout defeat is too big a hit for ICC to take.
Old July 7, 2014, 05:38 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilscoop
The underdog stories, or as cricket would call it, minnows made this WC even better. Something cricket WC should take note. We had all our fun with the unknown and fairy tail stories, yet the Semis will be played by the super power contenders. How can you play sports when try to get rid of those amazing aspect of sports? It's just not sports. If the good teams are good enough, they'll make it, or else they are just not good enough (Spain). Sure, Brazil-Spain knockout game looks great on paper, but Brazil-Chile game was better. You can't just kill those games just because you think it'd either be a) boring b) shock knockout defeat.

I'm surprised to see that you are a 'futbol' fan. I thought you would be like typical Americans who complain about how the game is so boring and low scoring.
Old July 7, 2014, 09:28 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

^ I'm more surprised than you're!
Old July 7, 2014, 09:43 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
The power of FIFA is much much more than ICC. No country controls FIFA. Thus the shock Konckout defeat is too big a hit for ICC to take.
IDK much about FIFA or how it works. I did watch John Oliver's LWT segment on FIFA. Pretty messed up stuff. Also I read FIFA has to pay the club teams for the players? What? So it's complete opposite of ICC (Not that ICC gets paid by the clubs but they/country teams have control over the players). Weird.
Old July 8, 2014, 05:13 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

If anything this world cup was missing, it's THAT. Freakshow.
Old July 11, 2014, 11:44 PM
Cricket Savant

World Cup 2014: Fifa announces Golden Ball shortlist

Fifa has announced the shortlist for the 2014 Golden Ball, the prize awarded to the best player at the World Cup.

Argentina have three nominees in Angel Di Maria, Javier Mascherano and Lionel Messi, while their opponents in Sunday's final Germany, have four.

Mats Hummels, Toni Kroos, Phillip Lahm and Thomas Muller are the players nominated from Joachim Low's side.

Colombia's James Rodriguez, Brazil's Neymar and Arjen Robben of Netherlands complete the 10-man shortlist.

Fifa has also announced the nominees for the Golden Glove competition, awarded to the best goalkeeper at the World Cup.

Costa Rica's Keylor Navas, Germany's Manuel Neuer and Argentina's Sergio Romero will compete for the prize.

Meanwhile, Netherlands' Memphis Depay and Paul Pogba and Raphael Varane of France have been nominated for the best young player at the tournament.

The winners of each competition are to be announced after Sunday's final
Old July 12, 2014, 12:27 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

hmmm... interesting....

Messi if Argetina wins otherwise I would go with dare I say, Robben for the Golden ball.

Goal keeper, don't get it... I think HOward and Ochoa should be there...

Best young player, instead of those nominations, i would give to James rodriguez, instead of him being the the 10 list for Golden ball... he is not gonna win..
Old July 12, 2014, 11:55 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb

Best young player, instead of those nominations, i would give to James rodriguez, instead of him being the the 10 list for Golden ball... he is not gonna win..
he is 23, never mind..looks young.... you have to be less than 21.
Old July 12, 2014, 12:08 PM
Cricket Guru

Lol only one Brazilian nominee all together, worst WC ever for them
Old July 13, 2014, 03:19 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoName
Lol only one Brazilian nominee all together, worst WC ever for them
Brazil are totally Doomed
Old July 13, 2014, 05:34 PM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-28266510

Old July 13, 2014, 10:11 PM
Cricket Savant

end of 1 exciting month ... .....

have to wait 4 years for such a time again
Old July 14, 2014, 01:35 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

world cup jokes: the way Russia, Italy plays is more like a game of chess than Soccer...
Old July 14, 2014, 01:38 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Next world cup(If i am alive and healthy), I am gonna root for Colombia. they really did a super job this world cup. besides James Rodrigues, they have a couple of other players who give their heart out and looks to be a promising threatening opponent. If they keep this up, boy, They have real potential to go really far next world cup i reckon.
Old July 14, 2014, 02:23 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat
Next world cup(If i am alive and healthy), I am gonna root for Colombia. they really did a super job this world cup. besides James Rodrigues, they have a couple of other players who give their heart out and looks to be a promising threatening opponent. If they keep this up, boy, They have real potential to go really far next world cup i reckon.
I always root for a totally new champ.

last WC I rooted for spain, chile, south korea

this WC I rooted for ...... Belgium, chile, south korea

next WC ...... Belgium, chile/Colombia, Asian team (depending on qualification)
Old July 14, 2014, 11:59 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

So can we (Bangladesh) make it to the next World Cup? I thought we had a vision 2022. Who is our coach? Who is our best player? How far we went in the last qualifying? So many questions..
Old July 14, 2014, 12:07 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
So can we (Bangladesh) make it to the next World Cup? .
only if shakib decides to quit cricket and start playing football
Old July 14, 2014, 10:03 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
So can we (Bangladesh) make it to the next World Cup? I thought we had a vision 2022. Who is our coach? Who is our best player? How far we went in the last qualifying? So many questions..
we had a Vision 2022 thread ...... need to dig it up i feel
Old July 14, 2014, 10:12 PM
Cricket Savant

World Cup 2014: Sepp Blatter says finals were 'a 9.25 out of 10

Fifa president Sepp Blatter says the 2014 World Cup in Brazil was a "9.25 out of 10".

Germany won their fourth World Cup on Sunday, ending a tournament that featured a record 171 goals and was described by some - including voters in a BBC Sport poll - as the best ever.

"We were calculating using all the computers and Facebooks, and then out of 10 we came 9.25," said Blatter.

Blatter marked the 2010 World Cup in South Africa as nine out of 10.

"Brazil has improved since South Africa," added the 78-year-old.

With pre-tournament fears surrounding security, transport and stadiums proving largely unfounded, the drama of 20th World Cup came on the pitch.

Full Story
Old July 14, 2014, 11:27 PM
Cricket Savant

World Cup 2014: Lionel Messi Golden Ball surprised Sepp Blatter

Fifa president Sepp Blatter was "surprised" Argentina's Lionel Messi won the World Cup Golden Ball award.

Barcelona forward Messi, 27, was named as the tournament's best player after his side lost 1-0 to Germany in Sunday's final in Rio de Janeiro.

Blatter said: "I was a little bit surprised when I saw Messi coming up to collect the best player of the competition."

Argentina legend Diego Maradona called the decision "unfair".

The 53-year-old, who was named the best player when Argentina won the World Cup in 1986, said "marketing people" had chosen the wrong man.

Speaking on his television programme, De Zurda, Maradona said Colombia playmaker James Rodriguez should have received the award.

The Golden Ball and other individual prizes, such as the Golden Glove award for the best goalkeeper, are decided by world governing body Fifa's Technical Study Group, a panel including former Liverpool manager Gerard Houllier.

Blatter believes Messi was given the award on the strength of his four goals during the group stage.

"If you compare the beginning of the tournament and why the Argentina team got into the final, they were decisive," he said.

Source
Old July 14, 2014, 11:32 PM
Cricket Savant

Germany win World Cup: 'Miracle boy' Gotze told to outshine Messi

Germany coach Joachim Low hailed Mario Gotze as the "miracle boy" after his extra-time strike sealed a 1-0 win over Argentina in Sunday's World Cup final.

Low also revealed he told Gotze to show the world he was better than Lionel Messi minutes before the substitute came on to score the winner.

Victory gave Germany a fourth World Cup title and first for 24 years.

Gotze, 22, said: "It is an unbelievable feeling. You score that goal and you don't really know what's happening."

Gotze, who began the 2014 Fifa World Cup in Germany's starting line-up, came on as an 88th-minute substitute for Miroslav Klose in Sunday's final.

With seven minutes of extra time remaining, the Bayern Munich midfielder volleyed home with his left foot after controlling Andre Schurrle's left-wing cross on his chest.

"He is the wonder who can play in numerous positions, he is the decider who can come on and make a difference," said Low. "That is what he did."

Gotze, who joined Bayern in a £31.5m deal from Borussia Dortmund last summer, added: "It's indescribable. The dream has become a reality. It is absolutely sensational."

Full Story