facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 14, 2005, 03:53 PM
Test Cricketer

Default Which country after Bangladesh will be the next test playing nation?

We all know the harsh and destructive criticisms which have gone down the years over Bangladesh’s performances after they were hastily granted the test status by the ICC. The disincentive comments were really intimidating which had a profound impact and the millions of disillusioned Bangla cricket fans’ hopes were pessimistic. At this situation, when no was magnanimous enough, in stepped Dave Whatmore, a veteran coach, who took over the novice players and illuminated our future, revealing the cricket world what we are capable of. Since then, our attitude towards the game had changed dramatically, not being awed by the opposition and coming up with some phenomenal achievements. Hope this attitude remains immutable and immaculate. However, the two minnows, Bangladesh and Zimbabwe, are emerging and closing their gaps between stronger nations, albeit slowly. It won’t be long enough till they reward everyone with impressive results. At the moment, what cricket needs that the game should be spread and this is possible if more countries are established as test nations at a greater pace. We can allude to Sri Lanka; how they transformed into a major team, but taking the significant factors into consideration, this remains unlikely. The ambiguous question is: Which country will be the next test playing nation? I implore you to share your notion and shed some light upon this fact and converse with me in this laconic post.

Edited on, July 14, 2005, 9:01 PM GMT, by reverse_swing.
Reason: Thread moved to International Cricket forum.

Old July 14, 2005, 06:19 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

The next country to be granted will take a long time. But it will probably be Scotland on current form.. They are the best of the rest.
Old July 14, 2005, 07:35 PM
ODI Cricketer

There won't be any near future. The way Bangladesh and Zimbabwe are going, ICC is scared to give test status to anyone else. I am pretty sure they want BD and ZIM to reach its full potential and then they can think about giving someone else a chance to play International Test Cricket.
Old July 15, 2005, 02:41 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
There won't be any near future. The way Bangladesh and Zimbabwe are going, ICC is scared to give test status to anyone else. I am pretty sure they want BD and ZIM to reach its full potential and then they can think about giving someone else a chance to play International Test Cricket.
Agree
Old July 15, 2005, 03:29 AM
Test Cricketer

given ICC's strict nature in test status issues....none of the countries after bangladesh has the potential to survive in the cricketing world.... kenya was the most obvious choice but i dont know why they lost ODI status....
Old July 15, 2005, 08:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
At the moment, what cricket needs that the game should be spread and this is possible if more countries are established as test nations at a greater pace
I think it will be period to consolidate and raise the standard of test cricket. So the precedence of Zimbabwe and Sri Lanka, who on the back of ICC wins were given test status will not be repeated. Having said that, if Scotland continue their trend of wins and play more county games, they will be in a better position to claim test status in years to come.
Old July 16, 2005, 11:38 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

I don't get it - why is everyone voicing their opinion in favor of Scotland, and why not Kenya?

I still think that Kenya will be the next test playing nation, even without a strong fan-base compared to (even) Scotland.

I can understand about the time frame for not thinking about any new test playing nation right now, or think of giving any country test status after 5 to 10 years because of Bangladesh and Zimbabwe's current situation.

But what I gather is that Scotland is currently having a great time with lots of success stories backing them, but still Kenya is just a little bit ahead of Scotland in being the next test playing nation - simply because of their numerous number of wins against other test playing nations - excluding Bangladesh.

For me to agree with those of you who have said in favor of Scotland, rather than Kenya, I think Scotland will have to beat a few of the other test nations - besides Bangladesh and Zimbabwe.

On another note, I think the next 5 years will give a light as to which country will earn that next test spot - until the next ICC trophy. In this time-frame, all the 6 teams - Kenya, Holland, Scotland, Ireland, Bermuda, Canada - they'll be playing in proper One Day Internationals and the number of most wins that one of them gets, will probably give an indication to become the next test playing nation.
Old July 16, 2005, 12:40 PM
Club Cricketer

I can't see there being another Test nation in the next 5, or even in the next 10 years.

Bangladesh, for the potential which they are starting to deliver on, deserve to be there. However the problems encountered entering this arena a year or two early means that caution will be exercised about someone else. However hopefully this will also mean an improved development strategy is followed.

Nor can I see it being Scotland even if they manage to be successful, which will be very hard. In fact for any team it would require some significant and sustained victories against the 'better' teams which Scotland has not achieved.

There are advantages about being next to England. However a disadvantage will be that they won't be seen as a legitimate new cricketing country. Of course Scotland is not a discrete country full stop. Neither is England of course (strictly the England and Wales cricket team).
We will always be seen as England's poor relations and not worthy of serious consideration and that includes from the English perspective. It really would stick in the craw of some England followers to play us and perhaps understandably. I think we will struggle for an enhanced one-day status for the same reason. So any lapse from Scotland will remove them from serious consideration.

From that perspective teams like Kenya, USA, Holland and the UAE will have a natural advantage when viewed by the ICC members. It only requires the performances to match and they will be under consideration since they provide a new cricketing frontier and are more acceptable in the world of cricketing politics. Scotland, for a short while at least, can claim to the best of the rest at the one-day and three-day game. Yes, a weakened Kenya only played in the latter competition. Realistically, if unhappily, if almost any other team (USA?) had done this then their case for enhanced status would be louder. (Of course we'll just have to be noisy if we manage to perform on the pitch!

After all which performing team do you actually think would get the most favourable response from the different regions in the ICC?

Edited on, July 16, 2005, 7:05 PM GMT, by Trueblue.
Old July 16, 2005, 11:37 PM
First Class Cricketer

I personally feel scotland stand a very good chance...purely because of their Infrastructure and recent good performances in their tournaments.....
Kenya has no chance bcos of poor facilities....
Ireland after 10 years probably..
If more countries are brought to test cricket...
I think that the ICC wud prbably bring a new second-tire system....in Test Cricket