facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 13, 2005, 04:09 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Questionable Selection Process for Bangladesh A

Prothom-Alo published a report today questioning the selection criteria for Bangladesh-A Team. According to the report, chief selector Faruk Ahmed previously said that all those performed well in National League will get chance in the Bangladesh-A team. But the announced team did not give a place for the best two bowlers and the best two batsman of the National League.

This report says, “Golam Rahman of Sylhet can consider himself unlucky”. Golam Rahman scored highest 825 runs in ten 4-day National League matches with 3 centuries and 5 half-centuries. But there was no place for him in the A-Team. Same applies to second highest run scorer Farhad Reza who scored 758 runs with 1 century and 5 half century ten 4-day National League matches. The 3rd and 4th highest run scorer of the National league got selected for the A-Team. They are Nazimuddin (713 runs) and Hasanuzzaman (655 Runs), both from Chittagong.

In similar fashion, top two highest wicket takers in 4-day match Alamgir Kabir (45 wickets) and Nabil Samad (37 wickets) did not get a call for Bangladesh-A team. Similarly, top two wicket takers in 1-day matches of National League Manjurul Islam and Hasibul Hossain (both took 17 wickets each) did not get selection for the team.

National Selector Faruk Ahmed or Athar Ali was not available to comment on this issue. The other selector Golam Nausher said, “Only experienced players can perform well in English Condition. The team was selected considering this aspect”.

I personally think Golan Nausher’s comment is not consistent enough. What kind of better English condition experience Nazimuddin and Hasanuzzam has compared to Golam Rahman and Farhad Reza? Or what kind of English condition experience Alamgir Kabir, Manjurul Islam or Hasibul does not have?

Prothom-Alo Article on Contradictory Bangladesh-A Selection Process

Old June 13, 2005, 05:38 PM
Club Cricketer

I think Nazmul should have been in the list instead of
Talha or Monir. For the next world cup this experience could be very useful for him.
Old June 13, 2005, 05:42 PM
Cricket Legend

About Manjural Islam and Hasibul I think theere playing days are over. Alamgir Kabir has also failed when he has been given chance. Golam Rahman is young and has many years infront of him. But Nazmul should have been given a chance.
Old June 13, 2005, 06:26 PM
Cricket Legend

Only one selection that I think questionable is Hasanuzzaman. He was averaging around 20 last 2/3 years, suddenly he picked it up this year. He may be now mature enough to handle spinners well, coming to bat at 6, but I have serious doubt how he will fare against fast bowlers on seaming pitches.

Shamsur Rahman would be a better choice in his place as Shamsu did pretty well in u/19's recent tour of Australia. Also, he toured England last year where he had scores of 68 and 75 against England u/19. In the Test series against the same opponent, he had the best batting average of the team, 41.66, where Nazimuddin averaged 34.66, Aftab 34, and Mushfiqur Rahim 31.75.

Concerning Alamgir, Shanto, and Manju, we all know that they are not coming back to the national team, it would be wasteful of selectors to send them to England. At this point, Munir or Talha may be worse than above three mentioned, but both of them have potentials to improve.

Also, sending Farhad Reza or Golam Rahman to England would be a gamble as none of them have the experience of playing on seaming pitches or facing quality fast bowlers. At this point, selectors really can't afford to take anymore risk.

About Nabil Samad, Razzak did lot better than him in practice matches to kick him out of consideration.

Lastly, another of my favourite youngsters going to miss this tour is Sakib Al Hasan. This 16 year old alrounder, I believe, is good, or, at least, consistent enough to push Alok Kapali out of the team, but selectors went for Alok's leg break variation instead of having another SLA in the team.

Edited on, June 13, 2005, 11:40 PM GMT, by TheWatcher.

Edited on, June 14, 2005, 11:01 AM GMT, by TheWatcher.
Old June 13, 2005, 07:00 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally posted by TheWatcher

Also, sending Farhad Reza or Golam Rahman to England would be a gamble as none of them have the experience of playing on seaming pitches or facing quality fast bowlers. At this point, selectors really can't afford to take anymore risk.
So what is the game plan for Farhad Reza or Golam Rahman ? They are not in the u-19. Also the selector doesn't want them in Team-A due to their lack of experience.

So how they are going to gain their experience then? Just sitting in their their couch in the drawing room I guess?

Unless the selectors thinks that local league is worthless and scoring in the local league is also add up to Nada and therefore they are worthless and doesn't deserve any kind of promotion.

Edited on, June 14, 2005, 12:02 AM GMT, by Fazal.
Old June 13, 2005, 07:17 PM
Cricket Legend

As I said Fazal, this is not the right time to bet on brand new rookies. Age is on their side, and it should not hurt them much to wait for Srilanka and Australia to visit our country next March-April. They will be, hopefully, little bit more mature then, and will have favourable conditions to prove themselves in practice matches.

Edited on, June 14, 2005, 12:19 AM GMT, by TheWatcher.
Old June 13, 2005, 07:17 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Fazal
Quote:
Originally posted by TheWatcher

So what is the game plan for Farhad Reza or Golam Rahman ? They are not in the u-19. Also the selector doesn't want them in Team-A due to their lack of experience.

So how they are going to gain their experience then? Just sitting in their their couch in the drawing room I guess?

Unless the selectors thinks that local league is worthless and scoring in the local league is also add up to Nada and therefore they are worthless and doesn't deserve any kind of promotion.

Edited on, June 14, 2005, 12:02 AM GMT, by Fazal.
Very well said.
I'll rise honor your thoughful words.
Old June 14, 2005, 04:50 AM
Cricket Legend

I think TheWatcher is right. Everybody has valid points, we should not be carried away by our emotions. We have seen our senior team, how they have failed in England despite being much experienced. We cannot take risk by sending all new and inexperience players. Here I want to quote from Prince explaining the selection policy:
Quote:
There were questions raised about the inclusion of so many Test cricketers in the A team. But we felt that without prior experience, it is very difficult to cope with the English conditions. As we are considering these players as our future, it is wise to give them as much exposure as possible so that they are better equipped when they travel to England next time
He said that the upcoming tour was very important for restoring confidence.
Quote:
"The main team had a poor Test series. Now the A side is going to play against some strong county opposition during the month-long trip. That's why we have decided to pick the best available side."
Prince, a paceman himself, felt that it was also important for firebrand Shahadat Hossain Rajib to forget about his miserable Test debut at Lord's and make things count for him with the A side.
Quote:
"There is no question about his potential as a strike bowler. Everything is not lost if a bowler fails to make an impression on debut. I think he was nervous as it was his first Test. We did not see the real Shahadat at Lord's. Now he has been picked for the A side and will have another chance to prove his worth."
Prince disagreed with the view that performances in the National Cricket League (NCL), the lone first class competition of the country, were ignored while selecting the A team.
Quote:
"Surely we have considered the National League performances. That is why players like Nazimuddin, Hasanuzzaman and SK Russel are here. Some of the top performers of the NCL could not be picked as they did not fit in our composition for the team. But they will surly be considered for future assignments."
Source